Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Interaction of the legendary ability and paradox ability with Cloud Nine and similar mechanic.

The abilities buff their stats under sun, but what happens when Sun is negated rather than replaced? Also what about utility umbrella?

"Does Wind Power's "charge" stack with the actual status induced by the move Charge?"

For example, let's say there's a Kilowattrel with Wind Power on the Player's side and a Pidgeot on the Opposing side.
Kilowattrel uses Charge, meaning next turn's Electric-type offensive moves are buffed up.
Pidgeot uses Hurricane (Note: I'm assuming it'll end being classified a "wind move" here) to hurt Kilowattrel, thus activating its Wind Power.
If Kilowattrel uses Spark, Thundershock or w/e on Turn 2, does it get both Charge boosts or just one?

• Does the Ability Shield item prevent your ability from being changed and/or suppressed/bypassed by any or all of these moves and abilities?
    • Gastro Acid
    • Worry Seed
    • Skill Swap
    • Neutralizing Gas
    • Core Enforcer
    • Mold Breaker
  • I'd like confirmation about whether Good As Gold blocks the following opposing status moves, some of which Magic Bounce reflects, others which it (at least effectively) doesn't block:
    • Taunt
    • Encore
    • Trick
    • Defog
    • Pain Split
    • Stealth Rock
    • Corrosive Gas
    • Skill Swap
    • Gastro Acid
    • Parting Shot
    • Memento
    • Whirlwind
    • Heal Pulse
    • Strength Sap
    • Perish Song
    • Tidy Up
    • Court Change

Last edited:

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Does Leftovers still triggers Rippen for no effect?
Does Double Shock work exactly like Burn Up?
How does Gigaton Hammer interact with Encore and Instruct?
Does Mortal Spin removes the same stuff Rapid Spin does?
Does Revival Blessing affect the damage boost from Supreme Overlord/Last Respects? Either by letting it gain damage from the same Pokémon twice or by reducing the current boost in a double battle.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Last Respects gains 50 BP for every fainted member in your party, tested up to 4 fainted members. Does not work with members that were fainted before the battle started.

Well-Baked Body triggers on stuff like Will-O-Wisp as well.

Earth Eater heals 25% and also triggers on Sand-Attack.

Gonna test some more stuff later on.

Last Respects gains 50 BP for every fainted member in your party, tested up to 4 fainted members. Does not work with members that were fainted before the battle started.
Wait so with 5 dead teammates it's a 300 base power physical ghost move with 16 PP and 100% accuracy?

Am... I reading that right? Oh and Basculegion, with 112 base attack and Adaptability, learns it?

Last edited:
Do legendary and Paradox abilities provide the same magnitude or type of boost, and furthermore, do their stat boosts both cancel when the weather is cleared? The fact Boosted Powder is consumable makes me think it might persist even if the condition that triggered it is cleared.

How much do the paradox abilities boost, anyway? Is it 1.5x? 2x? 1.3x? The other abilities that boost stats without showing the stat boost animation in game (Swift Swim and friends) are a straight 2x boost.

How much does Supreme Overlord boost? The flavor text suggests a 1.1x boost, but I could see it being 1.2x or even 1.3x in the nightmare timeline.

Guard Dog: Does the attack drop still occur or is the attack reduction converted into a boost a la Contrary?

Rage Fist: How much is the damage increased by per attack prior to using the move?

Jet Punch: What Priority is this? Extremespeed is + 3 with 80 power and Aqua Jet is+1 with 40 power, so is Jet punch between these 2 priorities?

Snow: General inquiry into hidden buffs/debuffs. What moves are boosted during it, as well as nerfed? in PLA it increased the chance of being Frostbitten, so does it increase Freeze chance here? Does it have any interaction with Sleep, like PLA does with Drowsy?

Wind Rider/Wind Power: If Tailwind or Sandstorm is up, do their abilities trigger per turn? Does Wind Rider prevent Bramblin from taking sand damage? Does Tailwind need to be actively set the same turn for Wind Rider to trigger (important as it does not have Tailwind itself).

Last edited:
Do Protosynthesis and Quark Drive calculate which stat they increase the same way as Beast Boost does, and if not, does it ever recalculate during play (e.g. if Agility is used)?

I have questions about hacky interactions with Commander and Dondozo.

Can other pokemon with Commander combine with Dondozo? If so, what happens if you have 2 Dondozo both with Commander?
Is Commander copyable?
Can a transformed Dondozo and Tatsugiri still combine?
Can Tatsugiri combine with an Imposter Dondozo and will Dondozo transform afterwards?
Is Commander's activation time based on speed or does it have some kind of priority over other abilities like Imposter when sent out at the same time?
Does Simple on Dondozo affect the stat boost from Commander?
What happens if you have Illusion on Dondozo?
Can random moves from Metronome still target Tatsugiri and miss?

Also, can the starmobiles be used on the player side without crashing?
EDIT:
Does Supreme Overlord activate when an ally dies in doubles or does it only boost on switchin?
What happens if you Baton Pass out of merged Dondozo? Is Tatsugiri freed and can the new pokemon switch out?

Last edited:
How does terastallization work with weather? If I tera ghost Tyranitar, will it take sand damage? Will Ice types that tera into something else take hail damage?
Related (Possibly Redundant?) Question: How does terastallization affect the stat boosts provided by weather? For example, does terastallizing Tyranitar (Weavile) into a ghost type cause it to lose the Sp. Def (Defense) boost granted by Sandstorm (Snowstorm)?

Drifting

in my glo stance smokin' dope
is a Tiering Contributor
I have a question about Gholdengo and Good as Gold.

If you click defog against it, is it like clear body where it nullifies the effect but hazards and shit still get removed, or is it like Protecting Defog, where nothing happens.

If it's the latter, with it's Ghost typing this thing will be the hazard-stack goat.

I have some questions about Toedscruel's Mycelium Might:
  • Does it reduce the priority all of its status moves or is it only for the ones that target opponents?
  • How does it affect entry hazards? Do they get lower priority too?
  • As it is only for Abilities, how does it interact with redirection such as Follow Me?

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Can't confirm because I don't have a HA version myself, but Filet Away might be "boosted" by Sharpness: Instead of taking 50% HP when used by a Mold Breaker variant, it takes away 75% HP when used by a trainer who had one with Sharpness. Despite this, it still only boosts Atk/SpA/Spe by 2 stages each. Wack.

Comeuppance is just another Metal Burst, 1.5x returned damage and still shit.

Triple Dive hits 3 times with 30 BP, can crit individually but is probably only one accuracy check (95%) as I only ever missed on the first hit in like 20 tries or so.

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I have a question about Gholdengo and Good as Gold.

If you click defog against it, is it like clear body where it nullifies the effect but hazards and shit still get removed, or is it like Protecting Defog, where nothing happens.

If it's the latter, with it's Ghost typing this thing will be the hazard-stack goat.
Expanding on this: what does Good as Gold protect against?

Status? (paralysis from Thunder Wave)
Secondary effects? (paralysis from Thunder Shock)
Field effects? (setting up Rain/Trick Room, Defog clearing the field, Defog being used at all)
Stage drops? (Tail Whip)
Stage increases? (Swagger I guess)

For Protosynthesis in harsh sun or Quark Drive in electric terrain, is the boost 1 stage (visible boost), or an invisible percentage?

How does said invisible percentage stack with other boosts, visisble and otherwise?

How does this boost interact with Foul Play?

EDIT: How big is the boost on supereffective damage for Electro Drift and Collision Course?

Last edited:
I have some questions about Toedscruel's Mycelium Might:
  • Does it reduce the priority all of its status moves or is it only for the ones that target opponents?
  • How does it affect entry hazards? Do they get lower priority too?
  • As it is only for Abilities, how does it interact with redirection such as Follow Me?
Adding to this, if Mycelium Might (or any other ability) able to be changed? Or is it locked that it cannot be copied nor suppressed? Trying to see if I can change it in Doubles for a fast Spore mon.

Also, can anyone clarify the effect of Salt Cure?

I was speaking to someone who has access to the game and they mentioned not seeing any crits. They tested by using Seviper with Feint and took 146 times to crit, which may be bad luck (~4% chance to get 1 crit in 150 tries), but seems like something to look into?

Has anyone tested this out already or is willing to test in further?

If Tinkaton uses Gigaton Hammer but the foe uses protect or otherwise cannot be hit (Fly, Dig, etc.) can it use the move again the next turn, or does the cooldown still kick in? Also, is Gigaton Hammer still clickable when on cooldown (simply failing when used) or is it unable to be clicked (a la when you are Encored or choiced)?

What are the specific odds of increase when a Pokemon is holding Loaded Dice, and how does this interact with Population Bomb?

How much does the Punching Glove increase the strength of punching moves?

Is Booster Energy a consumable, and if so, can it be recycled? Is its stat boost a passive increase (think Strong Jaw, Gorilla Tactics) or a tangible stat stage? If it isn't consumable, can it be knocked off?

What is the boost per fallen ally of Supreme Overlord?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)