Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

I think I know the answer for this, but I want to double check.
For Wind Rider, do the boosts you get from Tailwind and being hit by a Wind move stack?
For example, let's say the Player has a Pokémon with Wind Rider and an ally that sets up Tailwind.
Then the Opponent uses Air Cutter, which is a multi target Wind move.
Does the Pokémon with Wind Rider get 2 boosts by the end of the turn, or just 1?

Hi all!

Per this post from slp32
1668705599530.png

It looks like exp yields aren't set for mons that use the formulas to calculate them, which is most mons. That said, we don't know if these formulas are the same, and the math is a little above my head.

Can anyone with game access and the ability to save edit check a few choice mons? The formulas differ by evolution stage (babies / first stages use one, standalones and second stages use another, and third stages and legendaries use a third. This third stage also accounts for anything evolving from a former standalone after Gen 5, like Cursola or Farigarif). So that could inform which ones to check vs their SWSH numbers
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_effort_value_yield

If one of each type is giving the same Base EXP yield we can assume the formulas are unchanged. Otherwise we might have some math to do

EDIT: Looks like it's the same formula. Per this addition,

1668707817040.png

OK so these looks like modifier values. Blissey as a stage 3 is just BST/2. If you do that, then add this value, you get 635 which is Blissey's experience yield in SWSH.

Chansey, as a middle stage, would calculate its experience yield with BST*7/20. If you do that, and add the modifier, you get 395, which is Chansey's yield in SWSH.

Happiny, as a first stage, would calculate its experience yield with BST/5. IF you do that, and add the modifier, you get 110, which is Happiny's yield in SWSH.

So the formulas look unchanged and we can reasonably expect every other mon to be the same. Also peep that Eternal Floette

As such, I now have all the experience yields calculated in column AF on the data sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MAQLLg60Y036EQYHtz0PjCBLEYcLgy6mhjsaUDxiSFY/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi. Another couple of mildly interesting test results.

I don't know if this has already been covered, since I can't find any mentions of it floating around, but Zorua and Zoroark's Illusion Ability does not imitate a Terastallized Pokemon when it's at the back of your party. Instead, it uses the disguise of the non-Terastallized version of that Pokemon.

Does Oricorio’s revelation dance change to match the Tera type when terrastalized? I believe it normally copies primary type so curious if that is overwritten and this ends up being a more powerful alternative to Tera Blast
I've confirmed that Revelation Dance does change to match the user's Tera Type while Terastallization is active.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Anubis has dug into the internals of Loaded Dice and Population Bomb, so here is a writeup.

Population Bomb checks accuracy for each hit, like Triple Kick and Triple Axel. Loaded Dice causes it to only run the first accuracy check, and rolls the number of hits as 10 minus a random integer from 0 to 6 inclusive.

Loaded Dice for 2-5 multi-hit moves looks at the initial roll (which is still 35% for 2 hits, 35% for 3 hits, 15% for 4 hits, 15% for 5 hits). If it rolled 4 or 5 Loaded Dice doesn't do anything, otherwise it rolls the number of hits as 5 minus a random integer from 0 to 1 inclusive.

Since it stopped rolling the extra accuracy checks for Population Bomb, she also verified that Loaded Dice affects Triple Axel in the same way; if one hits, all three hit (and would affect Triple Kick but it can't be used).

Anubis has dug into the internals of Loaded Dice and Population Bomb, so here is a writeup.

Population Bomb checks accuracy for each hit, like Triple Kick and Triple Axel. Loaded Dice causes it to only run the first accuracy check, and rolls the number of hits as 10 minus a random integer from 0 to 6 inclusive.

Loaded Dice for 2-5 multi-hit moves looks at the initial roll (which is still 35% for 2 hits, 35% for 3 hits, 15% for 4 hits, 15% for 5 hits). If it rolled 4 or 5 Loaded Dice doesn't do anything, otherwise it rolls the number of hits as 5 minus a random integer from 0 to 1 inclusive.

Since it stopped rolling the extra accuracy checks for Population Bomb, she also verified that Loaded Dice affects Triple Axel in the same way; if one hits, all three hit (and would affect Triple Kick but it can't be used).
So just to make sure I'm reading this right:
Population Bomb w/ Loaded Dice: 90% to hit, and then it effectively turns it into a 4-10 hit move
Triple Axel w/ Loaded Dice: 90% to hit, and then it's a guaranteed 3 hit move since that max is under the floor of where it'd put it anyway.

Loaded Dice for 2-5 multi-hit moves looks at the initial roll (which is still 35% for 2 hits, 35% for 3 hits, 15% for 4 hits, 15% for 5 hits).
I thought that two-to-five hit moves had probabilities of one-third for two hits, one-third for three hits, one-sixth for four hits, and one-sixth for five hits. Did this change?

So just to make sure I'm reading this right:
Population Bomb w/ Loaded Dice: 90% to hit, and then it effectively turns it into a 4-10 hit move
Triple Axel w/ Loaded Dice: 90% to hit, and then it's a guaranteed 3 hit move since that max is under the floor of where it'd put it anyway.
so still better to run wide lens for Population Bomb, got it
triple axel though :worrycargo:

Last edited:

So without any item at all, I have a 34% Chance to roll for 10 Hits. But with loaded dice, it's a 1 in 7? That's a load of...

So without any item at all, I have a 34% Chance to roll for 10 Hits. But with loaded dice, it's a 1 in 7? That's a load of...
It's still in your favor, but only by a tiny amount. You get ~5.862 hits on average with no item and 6.3 hits with Loaded Dice, which is only a ~1.075x power boost.

Contrast Wide Lens, which gives you ~9.466 hits on average for a ~1.615x power boost.

Apologies if this has already been answered - I tried a search but couldn't find it. Does Shed Tail give the recipient a Sub with 50% of the passer's HP? Or is it a regular 25% Sub despite cutting 50% of the passer's HP total?

Thank you.

Is it possible that the Unknown 57 flag is moves affected by Mycellium Might? For reference,
Code:
Whirlwind, Sand Attack, Tail Whip, Leer, Growl, Roar, Sing, Supersonic, Disable, Leech Seed, Poison Powder, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, String Shot, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Hypnosis, Mimic, Screech, Smokescreen, Confuse Ray, Poison Gas, Spore, Cotton Spore, Spite, Scary Face, Sweet Kiss, Spikes, Lock-On, Charm, Swagger, Mean Look, Attract, Encore, Sweet Scent, Torment, Flatter, Will-O-Wisp, Memento, Taunt, Helping Hand, Trick, Role Play, Yawn, Skill Swap, Feather Dance, Fake Tears, Metal Sound, Tickle, Block, Healing Wish, Acupressure, Power Trick, Gastro Acid, Copycat, Power Swap, Worry Seed, Toxic Spikes, Heart Swap, Switcheroo, Stealth Rock, Guard Split, Power Split, Soak, Simple Beam, Entrainment, After You, Heal Pulse, Quash, Reflect Type, Sticky Web, Parting Shot, Fairy Lock, Play Nice, Confide, Aromatic Mist, Eerie Impulse, Hold Hands, Baby-Doll Eyes, Strength Sap, Speed Swap, Instruct, Tearful Look, Tar Shot, Magic Powder, Teatime, Court Change, Life Dew, Corrosive Gas, Coaching, Power Shift, Spicy Extract, Revival Blessing, Salt Cure
It turns out to NOT be Good As Gold (some of these moves affect, like Salt Cure, and some of the ones that don't aren't listed)

Oh dope the version I'd seen didn't have the move descriptions on it!

We had a small discussion in the big thread starting here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-data-mechanics.3709515/page-355#post-9400318 but didn't get all that far. We just know the one that kind of looks like Good As Gold isn't.

I've also done some parsing of Kaphotics data for people who don't feel like figuring out the types and the like, I converted them to text, in the chart linked in my signature :)

Do we know the damage boost of electromorphosis
Considering how similar its description is compared to the description of the move Charge, I think it's safe to assume it's a x2 power boost.

This makes me wonder if they actually stack. Electromorphosis and Charge I mean.
If not, that could mean they probably use the exact same special status flag.

In light of Showdown implementing Gen 9, I'd like some of these accelerated:
  • Does the Ability Shield item prevent your ability from being changed and/or suppressed/bypassed by any or all of these moves and abilities?
    • Gastro Acid
    • Worry Seed
    • Skill Swap
    • Neutralizing Gas
    • Core Enforcer
    • Mold Breaker
  • I'd like confirmation about whether Good As Gold blocks the following opposing status moves, some of which Magic Bounce reflects, others which it (at least effectively) doesn't block:
    • Taunt
    • Encore
    • Trick
    • Defog
    • Pain Split
    • Stealth Rock
    • Corrosive Gas
    • Skill Swap
    • Gastro Acid
    • Parting Shot
    • Memento
    • Whirlwind
    • Heal Pulse
    • Strength Sap
    • Perish Song
    • Tidy Up
    • Court Change
Right now, my main priorities from both lists are these:
  • Does Ability Shield block Gastro Acid? (Probably the easiest to test one)
  • This is huge for Gen 9 Pure Hackmons: Does Ability Shield block Neutralizing Gas?
  • The replay https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1713968845 has Chansey set up Stealth Rock on Gholdengo in Turn 7. Does Good As Gold block Stealth Rock?

Similar to how the Gen 7 box legends' signature moves are Mold Breaker in move form, are the Gen 9 box legends' moves just Neuroforce in move form? Or does it do its thing in a different way?

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
How does Ditto/Imposter function vs Terastalized Pokemon? When I sent a Ditto into a Terastalized (Flying-type) Iron Moth it turned into a Flying type as well and did not appear to keep the Fire/Poison STAB based on the damage I did vs it. Wondering if it's actually supposed to work like that. Also: what happens when you Terastalize a Ditto yourself? What happens when you switch it out after Terastalizing and then switch it back in?

Also, just had a game where Glimmora got hit by Rapid Spin and Toxic Debris triggered only for the Tspikes to immediately be removed. Is it correct that the removing effect of Rapid Spin triggers after the ability?

Similar to how the Gen 7 box legends' signature moves are Mold Breaker in move form, are the Gen 9 box legends' moves just Neuroforce in move form? Or does it do its thing in a different way?
The value is higher for one, Neuroforce is a 1.25x boost, and someone earlier in the thread (or the leak thread, I don't remember which) said Collision Course and Electro Drift are a 1.5x boost.

I'm not sure if this is something that can easily be checked (somehow unflag the flag and try it...?), but Flag 2 being entirely status moves makes me wonder if it's related Toedscool's ability (the Status-only mold breaker but negative prioity). Like instead of checking for Status, it for some reason checks for the Flag
The list contains no status moves that solely affect the user, like Recover or Swords Dance. If it is for Mycelium Might, then this list exists to avoid giving Toedscool/Toedscruel negative priority on status moves that affect only itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)