SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Eternatus is the third legendary in Pokémon Sword and Shield, easy and plain as that -it even has its own clone move of Behemoth Blade and Behemoth Bash in Dynamax Cannon-. Calyrex is another thing that they introduced later. So yes, I'm surprised that something that has been a staple in the franchise since 2002 with Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, and later in 2006 with Diamond and Pearl, and later in 2010 with Black and White, and later in 2013 with X and Y, and later in 2016 in Sun and Moon, and finally in 2019 in Sword and Shield, isn't present in 2022 in Scarlet and Violet. I think I should be.
The third legendary was in all of those games, yes. But in each and every one, the third legendary is essentially an irrelevant factor. Advertisement for the upcoming third version, where the third legend actually matters. And what do you we have in SV for the third legend? A largely irrelevant factor advertising the replacement for the third version.

I would have more people look into the sandwiches. Design-wise, they’re forcing players to choose from many options before being eligible to receive an egg. There really might be a connection there. Why design so many forced options if they don’t do anything special?
Sandwiches do a lot more than just affect eggs, but you might be on to something about there being hidden effects at the very least. Its another mechanic people don't seem to know that much about beyond what the game explicitly says in the tutorial. Lots of requests for sandwich recipe datamines.

I think you misunderstood: you don't need to eat any sandwitch to get eggs.

The sandwitches are completely their own thing.
(Also, we actually got the egg power from a vendor, not from the camp)
I read on twitter that you have to start a picnic, make a sandwich, open basket, get egg. So that is bull crap?

I read on twitter that you have to start a picnic, make a sandwich, open basket, get egg. So that is bull crap?
You don't have to make a sandwich. The breeding method is just to start a picnic with compatible Pokemon, and the eggs will appear in the basket after some time has passed. Its pretty much exactly the same as the daycare.

Definitely not the case, we've had eggs without getting the sandwitch, and at same time had cases of going 20+ mins including the sandwitch with no eggs.
While I don't exclude the possibility that certain sandwitches have effect on egg-rate (i mean that one is literally called Egg Power after all), they do not seem to be a requirement.

Did I hear no battle twer?
Afraid so, there's no facility in the game as of now.

The third legendary was in all of those games, yes. But in each and every one, the third legendary is essentially an irrelevant factor.
An irrelevant factor in terms of what? Because in terms of game design, I call it content. What do you exactly mean by irrelevant factor? I'm interested in this reasoning. Because, as far as I am concerned, Pokémon is fundamentally a game about collecting Pokémon and battling with them, which objectively makes the addition of Pokémon a direct consequence -and need- of what the franchise is about.

Is the adition of 3 Starters irrelevant? I think it is. I mean, the games could go with just 1 starter, isn't it right? How many Pokémon have this new entries? About 104? I think 10 is a good number too. In fact, 0 is also posible. You can do a new Pokémon game with just the 2 new legendaries and nothing new. In terms of story, most of the Pokémon you are going to catch are irrelevant.

That's why I'm so interested. What do you mean by "irrelevant factor"? Non-associated to the story? Guess what, the story in Pokémon is irrelevant and has always been. Pokémon, in itself, being a jRPG, has historically differenciated itself from the rest of the giants of the genre because it lacks precisely what every jRPG is about: story and gameplay. Pokémon used a mix of collectathon, a design usually reserved for platformers (Kirbies, DK64, for example) with gameplay instead of story, and also included connectivity, a factor that is absent of almost every jRPG in existance prior to the MMORPG era, to the point that, in this day, Pokémon is the greatest competitive jRPG of all time.

So, is having 1 less card in a Magic game irrelevant? Is having 1 less tool in your kit irrelevant? I don't think it is irrelevant at all. If everything is "irrelevant", we as consumers are doing a great favor to the companies. If you truly think the memories and experiences derived from the gameplay involved of discovering the existence of Giratina and going to catch it, the first time you reached Rayquaza at the Sky Pillar, or the puzzle and stories derived from Kyurem and his later fight, are "irrelevant" and nonconsequential to a game, we won't understand each other no matter how much we discuss.

An irrelevant factor in terms of what? Because in terms of game design, I call it content. What do you exactly mean by irrelevant factor? I'm interested in this reasoning. Because, as far as I am concerned, Pokémon is fundamentally a game about collecting Pokémon and battling with them, which objectively makes the addition of Pokémon a direct consequence -and need- of what the franchise is about.

Is the adition of 3 Starters irrelevant? I think it is. I mean, the games could go with just 1 starter, isn't it right? How many Pokémon have this new entries? About 104? I think 10 is a good number too. In fact, 0 is also posible. You can do a new Pokémon game with just the 2 new legendaries and nothing new. In terms of story, most of the Pokémon you are going to catch are irrelevant.

That's why I'm so interested. What do you mean by "irrelevant factor"? Non-associated to the story? Guess what, the story in Pokémon is irrelevant and has always been. Pokémon, in itself, being a jRPG, has historically differenciated itself from the rest of the giants of the genre because it lacks precisely what every jRPG is about: story and gameplay. Pokémon used a mix of collectathon, a design usually reserved for platformers (Kirbies, DK64, for example) with gameplay instead of story, and also included connectivity, a factor that is absent of almost every jRPG in existance prior to the MMORPG era, to the point that, in this day, Pokémon is the greatest competitive jRPG of all time.

So, is having 1 less card in a Magic game irrelevant? Is having 1 less tool in your kit irrelevant? I don't think it is irrelevant at all. If everything is "irrelevant", we as consumers are doing a great favor to the companies. If you truly think the memories and experiences derived from the gameplay involved of discovering the existence of Giratina and going to catch it, the first time you reached Rayquaza at the Sky Pillar, or the puzzle and stories derived from Kyurem and his later fight, are "irrelevant" and nonconsequential to a game, we won't understand each other no matter how much we discuss.
I simply prefer it when all the content in a game is fully fleshed out. And if they can’t fully flesh out an idea, save it for later and develop on it. I don’t really care personally about another big legendary with (practically) zero lore being shoved in, which I cannot use since it is post game. I didn’t grow up in gen 1, pokemania wasn’t a thing where I grew up either. “Battling with friends” was never something I did, so I don’t have the experience of using these mons in a way which is conducive to the design.

It’s not a win for the company to expect all the content to be fleshed out when it is added. I know YOU don’t care about the lore and world-building apparently, but I do. It’s part of the escapism of the series. I’d like it if you attempted to understand an alternative perspective to yours, instead of making assumptions about me “letting the companies win” or whatever.

Definitely not the case, we've had eggs without getting the sandwitch, and at same time had cases of going 20+ mins including the sandwitch with no eggs.
While I don't exclude the possibility that certain sandwitches have effect on egg-rate (i mean that one is literally called Egg Power after all), they do not seem to be a requirement.
5C80865A-E85A-4341-81C9-62A01E8252E0.jpeg

Well if there’s one that does effect eggs, more could exist. Someone who has the game should try every combo and see if it has effect on inherited nature, egg moves, and etc, just in case.

Or maybe it’ll just pop up in a data mine.

Huh, some of these have unusable moves. Like Hail and Revenge. Very Strange.
it’s possibly just the base leftovers from the engine they originally built this game on. Like how a bunch of unused and unusable items popped up in the data of older Pokémon games

Well if there’s one that does effect eggs, more could exist. Someone who has the game should try every combo and see if it has effect on inherited nature, egg moves, and etc, just in case.
As much as I'd want to, there's like 30 food shops in the game, a ludicrous amount of recipes, and apparently even sidequests that unlock more recipes.

I aint gonna go through that, feels even more of a war crime than watching my two azumarills get it going for 40 minutes. :tymp:

As much as I'd want to, there's like 30 food shops in the game, a ludicrous amount of recipes, and apparently even sidequests that unlock more recipes.

I aint gonna go through that, feels even more of a war crime than watching my two azumarills get it going for 40 minutes. :tymp:
I'm surprised that the sandwich and food mechanic is that complex. I can see why I saw people begging for a sandwich recipe datamine now.

I personally think that the text dump would probably be more useful and answer most of the questions everyone has, hopefully it comes sooner rather than later.

Could someone with the game test how Defog interact with Good as gold (Gholdengo's ability)? Does it only block the evasion down part, does it block the whole move? I'm leaning on the latter, but it would be nice to have confirmation.
Edit: status -> evasion down
Edit: This as been tested in the mechanic research thread. Defog is blocked entirely.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that the sandwich and food mechanic is that complex. I can see why I saw people begging for a sandwich recipe datamine now.
Well the curry recipes in SwSh were just as complex to be fair, it even had its own "currydex".

Not something that interests me but since they are putting effort in making these cooking recipes expansive, I suppose there is enough playerbase who has fun in them.

More than there is for facilities apparently :blobpensive:

Well the curry recipes in SwSh were just as complex to be fair, it even had its own "currydex".

Not something that interests me but since they are putting effort in making these cooking recipes expansive, I suppose there is enough playerbase who has fun in them.

More than there is for facilities apparently :blobpensive:
I meant in the sense that the sandwiches seem to have more effect on gameplay than any of the other food minigames to date. The curry is complex in terms of ingredients and possible recipes, but from what I remember it was mainly just an extra source of EXP and friendship growth. The Sandwiches on the other hand can boost egg production, increase shiny rates, improve the odds of spawning Pokemon of different types, sizes and more.

People are interested in the sandwiches because GF actually gave them more diverse reasons to learn and use the feature, which again, I'm honestly shocked by since I was expecting it to be another tacked on bonus element without much substance when it was announced.

I meant in the sense that the sandwiches seem to have more effect on gameplay than any of the other food minigames to date. The curry is complex in terms of ingredients and possible recipes, but from what I remember it was mainly just an extra source of EXP and friendship growth. The Sandwiches on the other hand can boost egg production, increase shiny rates, improve the odds of spawning Pokemon of different types, sizes and more.
Too complex, just bring back 0-Powers-or at the very least, Pass Powers. Cut out the middle minigame man, we just want to be lazy :blobglare:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)