SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

I'm convinced now that someone on the dev team has some experience playing ROM hacks.
>GF employee starts ROM hack
>Nintendo lawyers ban employee from existence one trillionth of a second later

:blobthinking: Yeah idk how well that would fly... It's certainly possible, but GF and Nintendo's position on "game integrity" is pretty well known. And, that standard is probably applied to their more high-profile employees as well.

Bruh that's literally how Radical Red changed the moves. Between this and Sharpness's distribution, I'm convinced now that someone on the dev team has some experience playing ROM hacks.
I agree with Perriechu here, putting items stolen through Thief/Covet straight in the bag is just a simple QoL feature that anyone could come up with.
I thought about it too.
... but if it depended on me, I would definitely make it work even if the Pokémon is already holding an item, because why the heck would things not work like that if the obtained item goes straight to the bag regardless, for fuck's sake?!
There's many times I haven't been able to understand Game Freak's behavior. This is one of them.

I agree with Perriechu here, putting items stolen through Thief/Covet straight in the bag is just a simple QoL feature that anyone could come up with.
I thought about it too.
... but if it depended on me, I would definitely make it work even if the Pokémon is already holding an item, because why the heck would things not work like that if the obtained item goes straight to the bag regardless, for fuck's sake?!
There's many times I haven't been able to understand Game Freak's behavior. This is one of them.
The games have made it so non-consumable held items lost during a battle are returned at the end for a while (gen 3 or 4 I think?). This change could be considered to be counting "none" as a valid item state, and ensuring that the mon ends with no item as before. Thief/Covet taking the enemy item even if the user has one would have significant side-effects in PvP, especially with the lower distribution of Knock Off.

Thief/Covet taking the enemy item even if the user has one would have significant side-effects in PvP, especially with the lower distribution of Knock Off.
It's not like they couldn't limit it to offline battles, or even just wild battles specifically. The ability to take items from wild Pokémon even if your Pokémon is already holding an item itself I mean.
They could. I know for a fact.

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
If you remind Final Fantasy 8, one of the first games to actually implement "level scaling", a lot of people complained (and still complain) that in that game you're basically punished for leveling, because enemies actually become harder and you can't mindlessly chow through them with limit breaks, to the point some people and some speedrunners purposely kill off party members sometimes to get as little exp as possible.
dont wanna go off a tangent there but that's not a level scaling issue but a MECHANICS issue, since leveling up in FF8 does nothing except buffing enemies and your method of getting better is completely separate; ofc by that point you don't have any incentive in leveling up at all; it's just a hindrance

Actual level scaled content in Pokémon would be cool if implemented correctly, and to be fair we already have "adaptive" battles (games like hgss that have a e4 rematch after you do a certain thing, which is: beat the eight Kanto gyms) in the series, so..... do it? please? GF doesn't wanna put effort in their games but Holy Fuc

That one unfortunately assumes getting an ability patch in first place which is... 1% drop from 6 star raids
Oof it's that low?

Also unrelated but this morning I decided to check out a Magikarp outbreak. Lets just say something gold was waiting for me and now I'm out of a dive ball. :D

Did the person who said you can't use Rare Candies to evolve Pokemon at level 100 actually try this because I was so curious about this that I grabbed a Girafarig and a lot of grinding and stuffing every candy down its throat later spoiler alert it evolved.

Wait it still works? Prior information said it didn't and that people had tried. Now I'm questioning everything.

Wait it still works? Prior information said it didn't and that people had tried. Now I'm questioning everything.
Pretty sure one thing Centro should have taught people by now is "don't trust twitter without videos or sources".

Oof it's that low?
According to serebii yes.

That said, either it's higher or (for once) i got lucky cause i hit the jackpot at my 6th or so 6star raid
(it helps that it has Steel tera AND regenerator, actual jackpot ngl)
1669386225184.png

That said, either it's higher or (for once) i got lucky cause i hit the jackpot at my 6th or so 6star raid
View attachment 468345
Nice. Although if I got that Toxapex I would likely never use it because I already have one to transfer in the future and wouldn't want to have another. :P At least now the dupe thing is a option if you want to get rich fast.

Nice. Although if I got that Toxapex I would likely never use it because I already have one to transfer in the future and wouldn't want to have another. :P At least now the dupe thing is a option if you want to get rich fast.
To be honest with how obnoxious it is to change tera types, you prolly would.

It's not "hard", just very time consuming, gathering 50 tera shards takes ages :P

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this yet, but looks like Thief/Covet put items stolen from wild mons directly into your bag now, instead of becoming your mon's held item.
If that applies to trainers and I lost some Leftovers for it, I'm taking the next plane to Japan to beat Ohmori up with a steel chair.

So, listen. Despite me wanting some form of level scaling or swapping, I did come out of this game thinking that it was actually the most balanced around exp share the series has attempted and the finale battles for all the stories were *chef kiss* what i was looking for.

But

I have never just gone full "stares at the screen like i'm at the office" as i have now.
This quote makes me feel vindicated. Katy just shot up a tier in my Leader Tier List. :totodiLUL:
GF doesn't wanna put effort in their games but Holy Fuc
Nah, I can't cosign this anymore.

If anything, SV is as bugged as RBY because they bit off more than they could chew. The game oozes effort.

To be fair Sharpness is also a fairly generic and pretty common ability concept between many different fan content. Even here at Smogon we had a Pet Mod with the exact same ability
Tbh, Sharpness is *too* generic to the point I just know people will throw it on everything they want buffed in Rom Hacks. I'm not looking forward to things like "Scyther should have Sharpness! Just LOOK AT IT!!!".

On the other hand, they buffed my boy Gallade, so it's all good in my book. :psysly:

Also, for those unaware, PkHeck is out. That's going to help a LOT in testing things.

If someone doesn't have conclusive info on how Happiness/Affection works, I'll very begrudgingly test it when I come back from work. Yes, I'll do it very thoroughly and cuss a lot at that food-eating animation, you have my word that the results will be laced with profanity and absolute precision.

So please, please, if anyone has actually tested how that works, @ me. :totodiLUL:

Pretty sure one thing Centro should have taught people by now is "don't trust twitter without videos or sources".

View attachment 468345
I am convinced that the game does multiple rolls or SOMETHING. It's always been unusual to me how the game doesn't properly group things up.

So if we take a look at the drop table for 6* Toxapex https://serebii.net/scarletviolet/teraraidbattles/6star.shtml
We see some ones you alway get 6 shards (in....two separate drops....?) an EXP XL, 5 Mareanie Spikes, & 3 feathers.
But you'll see here, and definitely in others, you got 3 additional Mareanie Spikes, a batch of 4 EXP Candy Ls and then another EXP Candy L, even though the drop table says if you get a EXP Candy L its should be a batch of 2 and there shouldn't be another roll for materials. The spikes could maybe just be handwaved as "this is what you would get for this pokemon to begin with", and maybe one of the exp candies, but not ALL the exp candies.

Meanwhile i beat a Blissey (5*) hoping for the damn Herba Mystica and while I didnt screenshot the result list I can say I was rolling in EXP candy and I really want to say i seemed to roll 2 balm mushrooms.
next time I try a 5* raid (WHICH WAS AN UNTTER NIGHTMARE BY THE WAY EVEN WITH KORAIDON) i want to more carefully examine it.

If someone doesn't have conclusive info on how Happiness/Affection works, I'll very begrudgingly test it when I come back from work. Yes, I'll do it very thoroughly and cuss a lot at that food-eating animation, you have my word that the results will be laced with profanity and absolute precision.

So please, please, if anyone has actually tested how that works, @ me. :totodiLUL:
I plan to test this today since Serebii had some interesting wording on the happiness page that implied it might only be hand-made sandwiches & washing Pokemon.

At the v ery least with the story being over (and a bit of the post game) and my dudes all being in their 60s I should be at the "cap" of 160 (its 160 now! wow!) and can just stuff them full of store bought stuff and walk around and see what happens.

next time I try a 5* raid (WHICH WAS AN UNTTER NIGHTMARE BY THE WAY EVEN WITH KORAIDON) i want to more carefully examine it.
Realistically speaking... solo 5 star raids are a coinflip even with a lvl 100 mon. Low powered ones are doable, I've beat "solo" stuff like eevee, zoroark, couple more, but even chonky pokemon like toxapex can be a challenge cause NPCs don't teralyze so will not really be able to break the barrier
Do them with people. Sometimes you get the player with lvl 60 just caught throwing, but from my experience *most* of the time you get people who either are aiming for the oneshot, or at very least know what they're doing.

Don't even bother trying to solo lvl 6s. Not happening.

I plan to test this today since Serebii had some interesting wording on the happiness page that implied it might only be hand-made sandwiches & washing Pokemon.

At the v ery least with the story being over (and a bit of the post game) and my dudes all being in their 60s I should be at the "cap" of 160 (its 160 now! wow!) and can just stuff them full of store bought stuff and walk around and see what happens.
Interestingly, this would match with both my playthroughs (the one on the ROM and the one on the actual game).
In the one with the ROM, where I did a lot of picnicing for testing breeding, we eventually toward the end had our pokemon throw affection things.

However in my current one I have yet to witness a single affection trigger, even from the starter I have since basically the start of the game. I have only used picnic like twice to make some eggs for friends / pass egg moves, and all times I used sandwitches from shops and not handmade.

Realistically speaking... solo 5 star raids are a coinflip even with a lvl 100 mon. Low powered ones are doable, I've beat "solo" stuff like eevee, zoroark, couple more, but even chonky pokemon like toxapex can be a challenge cause NPCs don't teralyze so will not really be able to break the barrier
Do them with people. Sometimes you get the player with lvl 60 just caught throwing, but from my experience *most* of the time you get people who either are aiming for the oneshot, or at very least know what they're doing.

Don't even bother trying to solo lvl 6s. Not happening.

Interestingly, this would match with both my playthroughs (the one on the ROM and the one on the actual game).
In the one with the ROM, where I did a lot of picnicing for testing breeding, we eventually toward the end had our pokemon throw affection things.

However in my current one I have yet to witness a single affection trigger, even from the starter I have since basically the start of the game. I have only used picnic like twice to make some eggs for friends / pass egg moves, and all times I used sandwitches from shops and not handmade.
Yeah, the biggest things to pay attention to are if store food and/or Picnic move passing/breeding break the cap.

If they don't, that's kinda huge because breeding in-game is super viable now, and so is egg move passing.

More importantly, encounter food is very important to get certain rare mons.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this yet, but looks like Thief/Covet put items stolen from wild mons directly into your bag now, instead of becoming your mon's held item.
Reason for this behaviour is probably due to a change in how the held items work.

Items held by wild pokemon are not consumed anymore when used. Though, there's only like maybe 5 items total you can actually get from wild mons, two of which aren't even consumable (Light Ball and the Bisharp evo item), but the notable one is the Booster Energy which has a 5% chance to be equipped on wild Paradoxes.....
....which will use it as soon as it's activated.
Yet if you catch the pokemon, it'll still have it, so i assume also if you steal it.

Also, I vaguely recall a tutorial at some point during the game saying that consumable items are actually not consumed anymore during story battles...

Alright so quuck recap of some new changes to the system:
-The "cap" is now 160, not 179.
-Your first affection bonuses dont go into effect until you reach 180, where you gain the 10% chance to survive a KO
-More obvious effects happen once you hit 200

Serebii notes that you only increase affection past the cap with sandwiches made in the picnics and washing them also at picnics. Let's see how true this is!

So since the first affection bonus is basically impossible to test out, i'm just going to do shit until I hit 200. Lucky for me, this also has a happiness checker benchmark
I'm using my in game team for this since they're all probably capped.

TEST ONE - Store bought food
Now honestly I wanted to do this in a more fancy way where I just literally eat sandwiches (i have an assumption this gives more happiness than ice cream) but there's an ice cream cart RIGHT NEXT to the happiness checker so guess what. Laziness wins.
10 ice creams - no difference. I wish the animation could be skipped.
20 ice creams - no difference. So if it does give happiness it's not +2
30 ice creams - no difference. Honestly even if this does eventually break the cap the fact you can have 30 entire ice creams from capped happiness means you could easily have some throughout your playthrough and never care about it
40 ice creams - I stopped here because my assumption is if it gives happiness, it is a minimum of +1. I've never seen something like a +0.5 and even if i did that would mean you could have 80 (!!!!!!) entire ice creams.

Conclusion: Store bought food does not break the cap. I uh. Realize I should have grabbed a Chansey and seen if it gives happiness AT ALL. OOPS

TEST TWO - Let's Go
Walking in Gen 8 SKYROCKETED happiness and absolutely broke the cap no matter what bulbapedia says. And judging by eggs, the Step system might be a little different than "literal" steps. Regardless my testing for this will be simple. I will walk from our house all the way to the water town with a Pokemon by my side
That pokemon will be Chansey. I will feed it a Rare Candy periodically to see if it gains ANY happiness out of this. I will also be throwing it at pokemon since that's a reason you'd want to use this feature beyond seeing your pokemon fall behind.

Light House Check in - didn't evolve.
Mesagoza Check In - Didn't evolve. Really wishing that pokemon followed you faster so i didn't have to just walk at a snail's pace so the auto catch up doesnt happen. The data!!
Cortondo Check In - Chansey evolved! So Let's Go absolutely does give extra happiness than just walking around normally. For reference at this point this means Chansey went from 140 to 160. So we should be at the cap. Expected, but we'll see what happens when I get to the happiness checker
West Province Pokemon Center Check in - YALL DO YOU REALIZ EHOW LONG THIS ENTIRE SEGMENT OF THE REGION ACTUALLY IS GOOD LORD
Cascarrafa: FINALLY OH MY GOD

The Happiness checker only gave the standard, pre-200 message.

Conclusion: now. Listen. It's fully possible that if I kept walking around the region, this would change. But I walked a lot and the distance between Cortondo and Cascarrafa is far longer than the house and Cortondo if only because of the winding trail.

if someone wants to use Let's Go around the entire region, please, be my guest. But my resources are wasted and my game is starting to freak out, so for now I am giving a tenative result of "Let's Go following & sending it against pokemon does NOT break the cap".

How do I unlock 6* raids? I read that you have to do a certain number of 5* raids after the Ace Tourney, and being called by Jacq, I’ve done around 4 raids where I’ve been the host (or done them just solo) is there a certain number or is it random?

How do I unlock 6* raids? I read that you have to do a certain number of 5* raids after the Ace Tourney, and being called by Jacq, I’ve done around 4 raids where I’ve been the host (or done them just solo) is there a certain number or is it random?
4? more like 40.
I actually got called after a *4* star raid, not 5. I think you just have to do a bunch of 4-5 star raids and eventually he calls you

4? more like 40.
I actually got called after a *4* star raid, not 5. I think you just have to do a bunch of 4-5 star raids and eventually he calls you
I'm just gonna guess that I bet it's number of raids period and that the ranking doesnt necessarily matter.

Reason for this behaviour is probably due to a change in how the held items work.

Items held by wild pokemon are not consumed anymore when used. Though, there's only like maybe 5 items total you can actually get from wild mons, two of which aren't even consumable (Light Ball and the Bisharp evo item), but the notable one is the Booster Energy which has a 5% chance to be equipped on wild Paradoxes.....
....which will use it as soon as it's activated.
Yet if you catch the pokemon, it'll still have it, so i assume also if you steal it.

Also, I vaguely recall a tutorial at some point during the game saying that consumable items are actually not consumed anymore during story battles...
It seems like Flung items return as well to some degree, so I guess this is a buff to ingame Fling. I flung a Potion and it returned to me afterwards.
When I flung a Full Restore into a wild Pickup Phanpy, on catch the Phanpy did not have a Full Restore and it was still on my Chansey.
I tried to throw an Oran Berry and pick that up with my own Phanpy. Unfortunately this ended up going back and forth between Phanpy who both used up the Oran Berry through Pickup midbattle and nobody had it after battle, so it was pretty inconclusive. It seems like berries are still used up permanently though.
I tried Pickup again with an unconsumable item by throwing an Ether into Phanpy and then Coveted it back to see who ended up with it. This also ended up with only Chansey having the Ether.

I did still have the stolen item as my held item midbattle at the time though, so I'm not sure about what happened with the quoted interaction. If mons do keep their items from the original state of battle then I assume the mon with Covet appeared to have no item after the battle and the Bisharp kept its crest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)