Sceptile

How does Serperior compare to Sceptile as a fast SubSeeder? I don't think Sceptile outspeeds anything important, and Serperior gets Glare and Screens. Oh, and Mean Look + Leech Seed for teh lulz.
Sceptile is faster than all of those 115s, which means you can giga drain cinccino/ambipom, which gives it a distinct advantage over serperior. With their piss-poor defenses, they're outsped and 2hko'ed by Giga Drain with no boosting item, meaning that if they're careless switching in or take hazard damage they can be 1hko'ed.

Sceptile is faster than all of those 115s, which means you can giga drain cinccino/ambipom, which gives it a distinct advantage over serperior. With their piss-poor defenses, they're outsped and 2hko'ed by Giga Drain with no boosting item, meaning that if they're careless switching in or take hazard damage they can be 1hko'ed.
The thing is, are those really >important< pokemon?

Outspeeding Azelf and Raikou is nice, but the main difference between the two is Power vs. Bulk. Do you want a SubSeeder that can deal decent damage or do you want a SubSeeder that can take more of a beating while being more disruptive?

I think Serperior fits the role a bit better, but that's just me.

I just had a random gimmicky idea.

Special Sceppy @ white herb
252 SpA/whatever you want to do with speed/HP
Unburden
-Leaf Storm
-HP (rock?)
-Focus Blast
-Filler

The main idea is to use Leaf Storm without any intial cost while doubling your speed with unburden. Kind of cool but Sceptile just isn't very good. Outclassed by the likes of broserade and shaymin

I was going to use sceptile on my next uu team, with the unburden/sd/acrobatics set and was thinking of using the battery over grass gem because you're essentially guaranteed a sweep if you switch in on an electric move. Question is, are electric moves common and predictable enough to abuse? Or is another item (sash, gem, anything with fling, etc) more usable?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The biggest problem with that set is that most Electric move users also pack Fire-type moves that will wreck Sceptile. Zapdos (Heat Wave), Victini (V-Create) and Nidoking (Flamethrower) are the most common Electric users that Sceptile will be unable to come into or hurt with that set.

SpecialSubScep
Sceptile @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Unburden
Nature: Modest
Evs: 252HP/252 Sp Atk/4 Spe
Energy Ball/Giga Drain/Grass Know
Dragon Pulse
HP Ice/Fire
Substitude

What about using a chesto/rest set?

Sceptile @ Chesto Berry
Evs: 252 Hp / 252 SpAtk / 4 Speed
Energy Ball / Giga Drain
Focus Blast / Dragon Pulse
HP Ice / HP Fire
Rest

Maybe fit in leech seed?

What about using a chesto/rest set?

Sceptile @ Chesto Berry
Evs: 252 Hp / 252 SpAtk / 4 Speed
Energy Ball / Giga Drain
Focus Blast / Dragon Pulse
HP Ice / HP Fire
Rest

Maybe fit in leech seed?
Sceptile doesn't get anything to boost its SpA, so I'd prefer a SD boosting set. Rest when you are about to die, then grab your Unburden and +2 Attack and sweep with Leaf Blade and Acrobatics.

I'd like to suggest a small but significant change to your SD Acrobat set. Instead of Grass Gem, run Flight Gem. There are two reasons for this. First, it doesn't force you to use Leaf Blade before you can take advantage of your Flying coverage. If you use SD, and the opponent brings in a Grass or Bug type, unboosted Acrobat won't help much, and boosted Leaf Blade won't really either. Second, it makes Sceptile a really good Grass-type Lure.

Grass-type lures may not be as sought after as say, Water-type lures, but taking out your opponent's bulky Grass-type can clear the way for things like Azumarill, Jolteon (especially HP Grass), or Golurk to do a lot of damage.

The set may seem very enticing due to the number of scarf Heracross and Staraptor running around. However, after using it for a bit, it became clear that these powerful, centralizing scarfers have led to a large number of priority users on the ladder as well, which Sceptile has a hard time dealing with. Still, it's definitely worth trying if you want to support a particular pokemon who has trouble with Grass-types.

Edit: I'd also recommend just running speed and attack, jolly even. Again, it comes down to having functionality before you ditch the gem. You don't want Sceptile to be useless in all but the ideal setup situation, because honestly, he wont get to set up every game. I'd much rather leave him able to revenge kill weakened Raikou, Azelf, and Espeon in a pinch than have a slightly higher number of attacks to set up on.

Ahh.. Sceptile
OU glory of 3rd gen
Now fighting to get a spot in the UU tier
The Acrobatics gimmick did give Sceptile some better coverage though
But can't Scep learn Brick Break too? Or is it just too bad for the whole type coverage :(

Ahh.. Sceptile
OU glory of 3rd gen
Now fighting to get a spot in the UU tier
The Acrobatics gimmick did give Sceptile some better coverage though
But can't Scep learn Brick Break too? Or is it just too bad for the whole type coverage :(
Sceptile does have Brick Break but it doesn't hit anything significant iirc in UU...

That's right.. but it can hit Lax can't it?
Wait, a move for just one Poke isn't enough I guess

HAIL THE MULTI-COLOURED SNORUNT HO-OH HATH BLESSED WITH COLORS THAT MADE ME HAVE SEIZURES IN THE POKEMON ANIME EPISODE THIRTY EIGHT :DD

Sceptile. Sceptile is a pretty good SD'er, i tried it out a couple of times. Sometimes i get frustrated considering it doesn't have that raw attacking Power, but it's pretty useful sometimes. I need to try a mixed set.

Couldn't you use fling to activate Unburden?

Sceptile @ Kings Rock
Nature: Adamant
76 Hp / 252 Att / 176 Spe
Fling
Leaf Blade
Earthquake
Acrobatics

You could run whatever item you wanted, but I like Kings Rock for the flinch. Flame/Toxic Orb, or Light Ball would work as well by inflicting status, but the flinch allows you to basically boost your speed at no cost. (Lolz at using Rare Bone for a 100 BP Fling xD)

I feel like any physical Sceptile set should incorporate SD. It's just too weak otherwise and if you incorporate fling it sacrifices coverage.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Couldn't you use fling to activate Unburden?

Sceptile @ Kings Rock
Nature: Adamant
76 Hp / 252 Att / 176 Spe
Fling
Leaf Blade
Earthquake
Acrobatics

You could run whatever item you wanted, but I like Kings Rock for the flinch. Flame/Toxic Orb, or Light Ball would work as well by inflicting status, but the flinch allows you to basically boost your speed at no cost. (Lolz at using Rare Bone for a 100 BP Fling xD)
Actually light ball doesn't exist gen 5 yet iirc. I'm thinking a special set would work better off of Sceptiles much better 105 base sp atk (vs 85 atk). You don't have so much as a life orb, 85 base attack won't bring you far. I can see a special set late game cleaning after some damage has already been dished out though. Something like Grass Knot or Giga Drain (legal with DW cause its a level up move)/Focus Blast/Hidden Power Ice or Rock/Fling.

How's Choice Specs this gen? I haven't tested it yet, but something like:

Timid
Overgrow
Choice Specs
EVs: 6 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power

should be useful. It was an absolute terror last gen, and with Giga Drain being buffed...

How's Choice Specs this gen? I haven't tested it yet, but something like:

Timid
Overgrow
Choice Specs
EVs: 6 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power

should be useful. It was an absolute terror last gen, and with Giga Drain being buffed...
I've used Specs to great effect this gen. However, I would run this moveset, instead...

- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain / Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Ice / Dragon Pulse

Leaf Storm is a given. Sure, Sceptile appreciates the HP gain, but Sceptile needs to hit as hard as possible. Grass Knot is risky, as some threats are hit harder with Energy Ball and even Giga Drain. Dragon Pulse is useful, but usually hits only Altaria and Flygon, which takes more damage from HP Ice; otherwise, it does good neutral damage and hits Druddigon (lol) harder. Focus Blast is absolutely needed to hit Registeel and Cobalion, who would otherwise wall this set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)