Pokémon Scizor

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Scizor

Base Stats - 70 HP / 130 Atk / 100 Def / 55 SpA / 80 SpD / 65 Spe
Abilities - Swarm / Technician / Light Metal [H]

Evo - Bullet Punch
[1] - Wing Attack
[1] - Agility
[1] - Air Slash
[1] - Quick Attack
[1] - Leer
[4] - Fury Attack
[8] - False Swipe
[16] - Double Team
[20] - Double Hit
[24] - Slash
[28] - Focus Energy
[32] - Iron Defense
[36] - Iron Head
[40] - X-Scissor
[44] - Laser Focus
[48] - Swords Dance

TMs:
[TM08] - Hyper Beam
[TM09] - Giga Impact
[TM17] - Light Screen
[TM19 ]- Safeguard
[TM21] - Rest
[TM23] - Thief
[TM24] - Snore
[TM25] - Protect
[TM30] - Steel Wing
[TM31] - Attract
[TM32] - Sandstorm
[TM33] - Rain Dance
[TM34] - Sunny Day
[TM39] - Facade
[TM40] - Swift
[TM43] - Brick Break
[TM49] - Sand Tomb
[TM56] - U-turn
[TM58] - Assurance
[TM59] - Fling
[TM69] - Psycho Cut
[TM73] - Cross Poison
[TM74] - Venoshock
[TM76] - Round
[TM78] - Acrobatics
[TM94] - False Swipe
[TM95] - Air Slash
[TM97] - Brutal Swing

TRs:
[TR00] - Swords Dance
[TR12] - Agility
[TR13] - Focus Energy
[TR20] - Substitute
[TR21] - Reversal
[TR26] - Endure
[TR27] - Sleep Talk
[TR29] - Baton Pass
[TR39] - Superpower
[TR46] - Iron Defense
[TR60] - U-turn
[TR61] - Bug Buzz
[TR70] - Flash Cannon
[TR71] - Iron Head

Egg Moves:
- Counter
- Defog
- Feint
- Night Slash
- Quick Guard

Transfer Only:
- Toxic
- Bug Bite
- Knock Off
- Confide
- Vacuum Wave
- Roost
- Tailwind
- Curse

New Moves:
- Sand Tomb
- Dual Wingbeat
- Psycho Cut

Notable Moves:
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bug Bite
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut

+ Amazing typing along with solid defenses, allowing it to switch into Pokemon such as Kyurem, Ferrothorn and Mandibuzz due to its multitude of useful resistances such as being resistant to Fairy, Steel and Dragon.
+ Access to one of the best priority moves in the game in Bullet Punch, allowing it to revenge kill many Pokemon and making it incredibly hard to revenge kill itself, as a Technician Boosted Bullet Punch is incredibly powerful.
+ It has access to reliable recovery and good utility options on top of that, such as U-turn, Knock Off and Defog, allowing it to potentially give a more supporting role to your team.
- Scizor can fall struggle with teams without the right coverage move as its STAB combination isn't great offensively, meaning that Steel-types such as Corviknight, Skarmory and Magnezone if it does not carry Superpower or Knock Off for example.
- While Scizor has an excellent defensive typing, Fire coverage can be devastating for it and as a result it can be threatened by Pokemon such as Hydreigon and even Clefable due to this.

Potential Movesets:

Swords Dance

:scizor:
Scizor @
File:Bag Leftovers Sprite.png
/
File:Bag Life Orb Sprite.png

Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn / Knock Off
- Roost / Superpower / Bug Bite

I think this will be the primary Scizor set. Swords Dance allows it boost its attack to incredibly high levels and with its defensive checks gone, it becomes incredibly hard, if not impossible to revenge kill, especially if your team is weakened enough to drop to Bullet Punch. With Leftovers you can take a more bulky approach and you can have Roost as your last movepool for longevity against much more bulky teams that are using Pokemon like Slowbro, Magearna, Corviknight etc, however the main problem is that it wants the right coverage move against something that would check you such as Magnezone and Corviknight, which both drop to Superpower. Or if you want you can simply go Life Orb SD + 3 attacks of the moves that you want to do the same thing and break offensive teams and just force something like Slowbro or Tangrowth out to get a SD up and break them apart. Not to mention U-turn is great for it, as it is not only incredibly strong on Scizor due to STAB, but it can pretty much take advantage of anything that gets forced out by it and use it as momentum fodder, and just bring in a check or counter to anything they want to bring in.

If anyone has any Scizor sets they want to share, feel free to post, also if there is anything I missed feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nothing hugely creative here but I think these are probably options in addition to the set in the OP:

:bw/scizor:
Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

Kyurem answer Scizor. Nice for role compression. Faces competition from AV Magearna as a bulky Steel-type pivot but can compress roles as a wincon nicely. It might be possible to optimise the EVs but I can't see much of a reason to not just go max/max on it really.

:bw/scizor:
Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Losing Pursuit is a massive bummer but u can still grab momentum on psychics/other frails u force out with an absurdly strong U-turn so it's not the end of the world. Bullet Punch OHKOs Kyurem and Gengar after 1 Spike and sends Alakazam to the shadow realm—it's completely nutty lol. You could also run max Spe to outrun Aegislash if you want.

Last edited:
While Scizor has an excellent defensive typing, Fire coverage can be devastating for it and as a result it can be threatened by Pokemon such as Hydreigon and even Clefable due to this.
How about other mentions like Dragapult (runs Fire Blast almost all the time)

Unless Substitute Fighting types become super popular, probably not. I'm not sure what else Scizor would ever want Flying coverage for.
I'm not sure...dual wingbeat will be a 120bp due to technician and flying hits a lot of things neutral. I think it'll depend on how many prominent fighting types show up in the tier. It's worth a slash since it's technician boosted, but it should be a last slash as it'll depend on what your team needs an answer to.

I'm not sure...dual wingbeat will be a 120bp due to technician and flying hits a lot of things neutral. I think it'll depend on how many prominent fighting types show up in the tier. It's worth a slash since it's technician boosted, but it should be a last slash as it'll depend on what your team needs an answer to.
Strong non-STAB neutral coverage isn't usually all that useful (unless you're so absurdly strong like Conkeldurr that your neutral coverage is as strong as regular super effective coverage). 120 is only as strong as Double-Edge, and Scizor very rarely ran that in the past (and it was almost exclusively for Zapdos).

Is Dual Wingbeat at all worth it as it gets Technician boosted.
It is arguably the second best user of it and flying bonemarang is a good move but doesn't have a place on most sets. It is still a tool in its toolkit, but I doubt it will be overly useful in OU. Way better on its preevo in the lower tiers.

I think that the loss of HP Fire or Ice is really a bad thing because -although niche- with Technician made sense as tech to catch off guard reckless opponents. Luckily, HP Ice is not needed that much now.

What i really dislike about Scizor is the "lack" of offensive presence without Swords Dance and an Atk-boosting item unless the opponent is already out of options: the dual STAB combination Steel+Bug is not that good in my opinion.

I think that the loss of HP Fire or Ice is really a bad thing because -although niche- with Technician made sense as tech to catch off guard reckless opponents. Luckily, HP Ice is not needed that much now.

What i really dislike about Scizor is the "lack" of offensive presence without Swords Dance and an Atk-boosting item unless the opponent is already out of options: the dual STAB combination Steel+Bug is not that good in my opinion.
HP Fire isn't needed either, since Kartana isn't a thing. HP Fire does less to Ferrothorn than Superpower.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
It is arguably the second best user of it and flying bonemarang is a good move but doesn't have a place on most sets. It is still a tool in its toolkit, but I doubt it will be overly useful in OU. Way better on its preevo in the lower tiers.
I’ve played with it as a fourth move on banded sets and it’s a usable enough option to spam (essentially a mid-power STAB with great neutral coverage) and can bust through some less physically bulky Toxapex while not being nearly as easy to switch into as Psycho Cut. Mostly a worse Knock Off for the purposes of being a spam move but the much higher power is neat enough

I’ve played with it as a fourth move on banded sets and it’s a usable enough option to spam (essentially a mid-power STAB with great neutral coverage) and can bust through some less physically bulky Toxapex while not being nearly as easy to switch into as Psycho Cut. Mostly a worse Knock Off for the purposes of being a spam move but the much higher power is neat enough
Sure but what does it hit that U-turn / BP / Superpower / Knock Off doesn't? I get that it chips Toxapex a bit more but if you REALLY want that just run Psycho Cut? I guess you do hit Volcarona as well lol.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
Sure but what does it hit that U-turn / BP / Superpower / Knock Off doesn't? I get that it chips Toxapex a bit more but if you REALLY want that just run Psycho Cut? I guess you do hit Volcarona as well lol.
It hits neutrally harder than all of those options (sans Superpower on turn 1, but you know what superpower does) and generally is free to click once stuff like Corvi is out of the picture. It’s not amazing but it has worked out well enough for me so far. Especially notable now that Knock actually has a downside if you’re running Wak, but even if you’re not that stronger hit than Knock is nice.

If something, that should only be used by Scyther, which has no place in OU.

It hits neutrally harder than all of those options (sans Superpower on turn 1, but you know what superpower does) and generally is free to click once stuff like Corvi is out of the picture. It’s not amazing but it has worked out well enough for me so far. Especially notable now that Knock actually has a downside if you’re running Wak, but even if you’re not that stronger hit than Knock is nice.
I guess but Scizor has always had Double Edge and Return, and it never used either one. Scizor isn't really about raw power, but about momentum and utility, neither of which are offered by double wing.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
I guess but Scizor has always had Double Edge and Return, and it never used either one. Scizor isn't really about raw power, but about momentum and utility, neither of which are offered by double wing.
Flying is an infinitely better type to spam compared to normal. There's a reason flying-spam has been an archetype in the last few generations (depending on the meta) and normal-spam hasn't.

Dual Wingbeat also hits Keldeo hard, which is quite nice given Keldeo doesn't take THAT much from BP/U-Turn (yes if it's CB Scizor it hurts, but it's a big jump in damage).

tried it too and i completly agree with leonard. I'll add that it OHKO volcarona with only 16 EV in atk if you don't get burn on the first beat. Since volcarona is often tempted to switch in, it is a very good punishment.
Urshifu also get OHKO on it by banded scizor only.

I ran it without knock off with marowak in a TR team and it surprisingly worked very well.

I think it's worth noting that running 24 speed is worth considering if the substitute magnezone sets take off; without it, magnezone isn't able to trap and defeat Ferrothorn anymore and those sets run a mere 60 speed EVs, which the 24 speed EVs allow Adamant Scizor to outpace it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)