Metagame SCL I LC Discussion

Standings Spreadsheet
Finally got this up! I couldn't really figure out a good way to automate this process because of the method of submission - which means I have to do a lot of manual (error-prone) data entry :psycry: so please let me know either here or in LC discord (femboy#0086) if I've made any mistakes with your picks!

also posting my predictions
LilyAC vs Laroxyl
Boulicrok vs Wail Wailord
daunt vs vs kythr
dcae
vs teal6
KSG vs Toadow

edit: I meant to bold Laroxyl but I'm self-enforcing no take-backsies :pirate:
and while I'm here I thought it'd be interesting to look at the popular opinion last week vs the actual results!

Week 1
(33.77%) LilyAC vs dcae (66.23%)
(32.47%) KSG vs daunt vs (67.53%)
(31.58%) Toadow vs Boulicrok (68.42%)
(30.26%) teal6 vs Laroxyl (69.74%)
(82.05%) kythr
vs Wail Wailord (17.95%)
(bolded percentage was the favorite to win based on votes, bolded name = actual winner if it isn't obvious)
(percentages could be slightly off if there are any erroneous entries in the spreadsheet)

The only winner last week who wasn't statistically favoured by the people was LilyAC!

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
LilyAC vs Laroxyl
daunt vs vs kythr
dcae
vs teal6
KSG vs Toadow

Ron

You can see me everywhere
LilyAC vs Laroxyl
Boulicrok
vs Wail Wailord
daunt vs vs kythr
dcae vs teal6
KSG vs Toadow

LilyAC (60) vs (40) Laroxyl -- Lily had a very exciting week 1 match where both parties made predictions and exchanged shots at each other throughout the match. I felt like Lily was slightly more in command during the match and she did well to maintain a slim lead as she weathered through dcae's rallies Laroxyl I felt had a less polished week 1 but did well to scout Teal out early on and kept his composure late by slowly breaking down the Ponyta to secure the victory. Funny enough, both players brought what appeared to be identical teams. I'll go with lily in this one since she had a better showing vs one of the best players in the pool and should look to build on her performance.

Boulicrok (45) vs (55) Wail Wailord -- Boulicrok took care of business week 1 against a tricky shellder and did well to maintain his composure. Even though his pawniard was put to sleep he kept his koffing very healthy so that if mienfoo wasn't able to finish off shellder with fake out, koffing was still going to get the job done. Wail on the other hand was scrapping with Kythr in a game closer than I think some anticipated. Kythr started out strong looking very dominant only to slowly see Wail bring himself back into the match with solid gameplay of his own. Although the staryu miss was unfortunate, Wail had positive moments so if he rides that momentum into week 2, the spectators are in for a treat. I expect this game to be closer for Boulicrok than his week 1 game so until I see how he handles tight matches on this stage, I'll select Wail in a hotly contested battle.

daunt vs (35) vs (65) kythr -- Kythr had an electric start to week 1 where he was cruising through those opening turns vs Wail. Unfortunately though Kythr kept giving Wail opportunities to slowly come back into the game instead of finding a decisive turn to finish him off. daunt I felt had an okay match vs KSG but not one that would inspire a ton of confidence going forward against a heavyweight like kythr. The magnemite set was never revealed until after the match and a +spe magnemite meant we're looking at a coinflip finish whereas an endure magnemite is also tricky. Kythr seems like the safer pick but daunt will be performing at his best to create a strong start to the tour so if Kythr fails once more to put the game away he could be in trouble.

dcae (65) vs (35) teal6 -- So next up we have a pair of turn 1 Abra users LOL. The first one, dcae, wishes he was LO inner focus which would have annhilated Lily's mienfoo turn 1 and opened up the game with a lot of hype. Teal, on the other hand, was using LO but unfortunately lost the 50/50 between shadow ball and submission which had the potential to pave his way to victory from the start. I really appreciate the time teal was taking to analyze his game which is honestly necessary when coming into this tier again after a long gap. Overall, Teal displayed a decent showing and if he's committed to LC for the whole campaign he can only get better. I like dcae here as in my opinion it's to early to start bolding Teal esp. vs one of the favorites who had a strong week 1, but I can see a world where Teal is more motivated and out-preps dcae and come gametime does just enough to sneak a victory.

KSG (45) vs (55) Toadow -- And finally we'll finish with the two Mienfoo users who missed their HJKs. Out of the two players, KSG had a superior first week where arguably he had a real chance at winning post-HJK miss if the set was +spe while Toadow came up short. I think Boulicrok is one of the harder players to beat with pokemon like shellder as I've seen him use a lot of bulky pokemon in the past, but I actually love the wynaut selection from Toadow. When 2 prominent knock off users got removed from the tier in vullaby and scraggy, wynaut's stock got higher as there are more pokemon it can trap now effectively. I can see others straying away from Wynaut since the team didn't secure the W, but I would love to see more people using him as a way to break through teams. I'm not sure if we'll see an unconventional team again from Toadow week 2, but for me he is more threatening than KSG who will probably be playing a more linear game. I'll give Toadow the nod for now as he becomes my wildcard pick.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
LilyAC vs Laroxyl
daunt vs vs kythr
dcae
vs teal6
KSG vs Toadow

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LilyAC vs Laroxyl - Laro lucks Lowtimer Lily, looking like legit l-battle!
Boulicrok vs Wail Wailord - le crok
daunt vs vs kythr - kythr tightens up the endgame and this one gets put away
dcae vs teal6 - love to see teal's thought process in the thread, just worried that dcae will take advantage of it with something unconventional and absurd
KSG vs Toadow - KSG disappointed me this last week and killed my perfect predicts ... and Toadow will get the matchup right this week

LilyAC

encore encore encore
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
LilyAC vs Laroxyl - hopefully
Boulicrok (65) vs (35) Wail Wailord - bouli looked good. i think evio natu is bad but that's not the sort of stuff i expect from him every week, so im not worried. wail on the other hand has a reputation for questionable teambuilding choices at this point, and his week 1 slowpoke shows no signs this is going to change. slowpoke is the kind of mon that looks good on paper (i thought it was going to be good post-vull too) but in practice it just doesnt work. im worried wail will fall into more traps like this throughout the season. he seems to have a tendency to use fat, passive mons with recovery but its hard to make that work in lc. wail's play last week seemed good enough, i really think he has potential, but he needs to use more offensive builds using mons that are confirmed good
daunt vs (40) vs (60) kythr - both had shaky week 1 games, but im going with kythr bc he has a history of better results. not much to say here, their teams looked fine
dcae (75) vs (25) teal6 - its been said already, teal's team shouldve been better. i expect their prep to improve as the season progresses and luthier gets to understand the meta, but for now its a bit concerning. i wasnt impressed by teal's play either. dcae lost to lilyac of all people but i still think hes the goat
KSG (50) vs (50) Toadow - idk what to predict here so im just going with my gut. both played fine i think, but i didnt like their teams. toadow's was worse, but after losing with wynaut and shellder, i could easily see him bringing something more standard this time, so that makes this a 50/50 for me.

LNumbers

When it's all been said and done, I'm still my #1
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
LilyAC vs Laroxyl
daunt vs
vs kythr
dcae vs teal6
KSG
vs Toadow

LilyAC vs Laroxyl - hopefully
Boulicrok (65) vs (35) Wail Wailord - bouli looked good. i think evio natu is bad but that's not the sort of stuff i expect from him every week, so im not worried. wail on the other hand has a reputation for questionable teambuilding choices at this point, and his week 1 slowpoke shows no signs this is going to change. slowpoke is the kind of mon that looks good on paper (i thought it was going to be good post-vull too) but in practice it just doesnt work. im worried wail will fall into more traps like this throughout the season. he seems to have a tendency to use fat, passive mons with recovery but its hard to make that work in lc. wail's play last week seemed good enough, i really think he has potential, but he needs to use more offensive builds using mons that are confirmed good
daunt vs (40) vs (60) kythr - both had shaky week 1 games, but im going with kythr bc he has a history of better results. not much to say here, their teams looked fine
dcae (75) vs (25) teal6 - its been said already, teal's team shouldve been better. i expect their prep to improve as the season progresses and luthier gets to understand the meta, but for now its a bit concerning. i wasnt impressed by teal's play either. dcae lost to lilyac of all people but i still think hes the goat
KSG (50) vs (50) Toadow - idk what to predict here so im just going with my gut. both played fine i think, but i didnt like their teams. toadow's was worse, but after losing with wynaut and shellder, i could easily see him bringing something more standard this time, so that makes this a 50/50 for me.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
didnt watch many of the wk1 lc games closely tbh, hopefully i can catch more of em in future

LilyAC vs Laroxyl - Lily looked extremely impressive in her week1 game, i'm looking forward to this game & the rest of her season. apparently they both had the same 6 week 1, lol, so curious to see how the mu shakes out here. i think laro's fine but he doesnt have that high of a playing ceiling, imo, whereas lily is very clearly capable of outplaying people
Boulicrok vs Wail Wailord - dont rly have too much of a read here honestly
daunt vs vs kythr - kythr is excellent, tho his wk1 endgame became shaky i think he has a sky-high upside in any given game and is also disciplined enough to secure the win against a player he is better than. dvs did luck last week but had a decent debut even tho only fighting resist koffing is cringe IMO.
dcae vs teal6 - should be p clear why i'd favor dcae here, teal6 is clearly motivated and i can see him stringing a few wins together against the middle of the pool but dcae is rightfully the clear favorite
KSG vs Toadow - go team

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
LilyAC vs KSG
Toadow vs dcae
teal6 vs daunt vs
kythr vs boulicrok
Wail Wailord vs Laroxyl

HANTSUKI

satan saves xmas
is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RUPL Champion
LilyAC vs KSG
Toadow vs dcae
teal6 vs daunt vs
kythr vs boulicrok
Wail Wailord vs Laroxyl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)