SM OU Scolipede Rain [1800+]

Hi everyone,

Though it might seem that I am new to this forum (because I just registered and this is my first post), I've actually been around quite a while, lurking in the dark... I began playing pokemon competitively back in Black & White, I started on pokemon-online and later moved on to showdown. The RMT-forum has always catched my interest, I'm always looking for creative teams that are not only innovative for the sake of creativity itself, but also achieve some success by using new elements. I love seing RMTs like the ones from BanDisnDatnMe, which I always enjoy reading.

I never played in a tournament, but I like to play ladder games during my free time, which I do quite a lot in the past months. I don't consider myself a great battler, but I think I'm doing okay if I concentrate on the game. What I enjoy the most about Pokemon is working on new teams, and then climbing the ladder with my own team. I collected a few ideas over time which I want to talk about with some experienced users, so I'm starting with showcasing my newest creation: Scolipede Rain!

Introduction

While I was playing on the ladder with a rather offensive team, I found myself swept by someone using a Scolipede. I was impressed by how I couldn't manage to wall it, neither revenge kill it. Since I like the design of Scolipede and especially its speed boost ability, I decided to build a team around it. First I thought about screens, which would help it set up. Since psychic terrain came in handy, I experimented a bit with screens lele (why is of all tapus only koko used with screens? I mean it's fast and has access to volt/turn, but the point is everyone expects koko to set screens by now...), I paired it with ash-gren to set spikes and lure in grass types which Scolipede could set up on, but none of my ideas worked out really well.

Then I thought about pairing it with rain, which offers two benefits:
On the one hand, rain helps Scolipede: It takes away its fire weakness so it can set up easier on grass mons carrying hidden power fire (like tangrowth or mega venu) and it strengthens its aqua tail, allowing some crucial OHKOs. Also, the accumulation of water pokemon on rain teams help Scolipede find setup opportunities on the grass pokemons switching in.
On the other hand, Scolipede offers rain teams a much needed switchin to grass attacks from the likes of bulu, kart, growth and ferro. But other than the commonly used pivots (like e.g. ferro which is almost a staple on rain), it uses the defensive nature of most grass pokemon to set up and wallbreak/sweep. It is not completly dependend on rain, which means it can turn around games where I find it hard to keep up the rain, e.g. by weakening (or even better: eliminating) a defensive threat that my other mons weren't able to take down. And it offers speed outside of rain, which is also crucial for rain teams when battling other weather.
So let me introduce you to my teambuilding process.

Teambuilding Process

I think I made it clear why I wanted to use Scolipede on rain in the introduction. I lead Scolipede to bluff a spikes set in team preview, which doesn't really matter.

Pelipper is the only viable rain setter, so here we go!

Swampert and Pelipper go together like salt and pepper. In my view, Swampert is simply too good to give up on rain, since it offers a much needed electric immunity as well as being a powerfull breaker/sweeper on its own as well as being able to set up rocks.

I always like to have a switchin to Lele and Kart on my teams, and since rain is usually rather weak to stall, I decided on CM-Painsplit-Magearna for this slot, since it also deals with chansey and the likes.

Also, switchins to greninja are mandatory on every team. Ironically, most rain teams have problems with strong rain boosted water moves, which is why most of them have to use Ferro (outside of Pelipper, which has to be kept alive). I decided on Kingdra as my second rain sweeper since it typing offers a strong water resist.

Rain is a playstyle which offers fast mons that deal with offensive teams really well, but usually struggles with fatter teams. The last mon I added therefore was banded Kartana to have a strong breaker who deals with slower, fatter teams. It also offers a good switchin to Ferrothorn and other fat waters/grasses which like to block my rain sweepers.

The Team

Scolipede @ Waterium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake

Scolipede was chosen as sweeper/breaker which functions inside AND outside of rain. As explained before, it finds setup opportunities on pokemons that usually wall rain sweepers and thus often turns around a bad matchup into a good matchup (looking at you mega-venusaur).
I use the standard smogon set with waterium-z. After a swords dance, it OHKOs regular lando with its z-move even outside of rain (after intimidate of course). It also outspeeds scarf lando after a speed boost. Earthquake is mostly used to hit magearna (to free up kart and kingdra) and toxapex (to free up water spam). Megahorn is a strong stab which offers good coverage along the other two attacks and hits grass pokemon for good damage.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Pelippers role is obviously to set the rain. The standard smogon spread is used, which helps it take special attacks from greninja and char-y as well as offering some physical bulk, since it's also my switchin to ground type attacks (e.g. rocks lando). It can take a Z-Fly and live (although with very low hp), but beware of z-stone edge, since loosing pelipper may cost u the game! U-turn is used to bring my sweepers and breakers into position, scald is the rainboosted stab with a good chance to burn physical threats, roost to keep it alive as long as possible, and defog over hurricane on the last slot since I couldn't fit in on another mon.

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Since Swampert is also obvious, I just cite smogon: "Offensively, Swampert is the premier Mega Evolution choice on rain teams because of its Electric immunity. It also has the ability to break down conventional rain checks such as Toxapex and Ferrothorn due to its secondary STAB attack, Earthquake. Mega Swampert can also provide great role compression because it is a Stealth Rock user that beats Mega Sableye."
Kaskade and earthquake are a given, stealth rocks should be used on every team if possible and I don't have another possible setter. I use icepunch on the last slot to hit grasses, other possibilities include stone edge and superpower.

Magearna @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 96 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Pain Split
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Magearna is mostly used as a defensive pivot on this team, but with the used set, it's still a win condition versus certain playstyles, since it can set up with calm mind and recover lost health with painsplit. This set easily 1vs1s Chansey for example, improving my matchup versus stall. I invested a lot into it's defense, since magearna is the counter to hawlucha on this team, which would otherwise sweep me 6-0. This spread allows to always live +2 HJK, and OHKO in return, so remember to keep mag healthy if u see hawlucha on team preview! Since the z-move is already taken, I use a shucca berry, which allows me to stay in vs ground types in certain situations and e.g. KO garchomps setting up rocks on the expected switch out. It also helped me in situations where I wanted to sweep after some calm minds and the shuca prevented being revenged by the everpresent scarflando. Fleur Cannon as a strong nuke and tbolt for coverage vs e.g. toxapex/celesteela/bulky waters. Of course the rain gets rid of mags fire weakness, so heatran isn't a counter anymore when using calm mind.

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Kindra is my secondary rain sweeper, switchin to water/fire moves, and a great win con under rain. Standard smogon spread, being fast (jolly not needed because of swift swim) and hitting hard (with specs). Hydropump and Draco as hardhitting stabs, surf for more accuracy where the power isn't needed. On the last slot (which is not clicked very often) I decided for hp electric to hit mantine, but I think about changing it to toxic, because it's nice to have at least one status move on the team, and this would help me with certain switchins (like alolomola, which can be annoying since it scouts my kart with protect and then switches out to the right counter so kart won't profit from the fat fish), ice beam would be another option.

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Banded kart was chosen to help break fatter teams and threaten bulky waters, while being a good switchin to ferro. The standard smogon set is used, leaf blad and smart strike are strong stab attacks that can easily sweep slower teams once all steel and fire types are removed (fire type mons that switch into kartana can be easily exploited to bring kingdra or pert back in). Sacred sword is used to deal with said steal types and especially needed to threaten ferro, knock off is a good all around move that is used to get something out of each situation no matter which action the opponent takes (eg to hit ferro if it stays in while also hitting a possible tornadus switch in). Try to bluff scarf if possible, since most people expect kart to be scarfed.

Conclusion

The team has a winnable matchup vs most playstyles (The only matchup I faced where I lost at team preview was vs shedinja stall, which luckily is very rare). Since all mons (except pelipper) can be used as a win condition on their own, there is always a way to win the game once all counters to the right mon are eliminated. Don't hesitate to sack a mon for weakening the opposition if this opens up the door for another mon to win! (E.g. sacrifice Swampert to get earthquake damage on tapu fini to open up a sweep with kingdra later on).
The team doesn't like scarf keldeo, and one also has to be careful about setup sweepers like volcarona (keep the rain up to revenge after one boost, in case of volc never let it quiver dance twice or you lost).
I hope you like the idea of Scolipede rain, I already saw someone else using a rain team featuring Scolipede today, which proves that the idea is not complete garbage (This does not mean this guy copied the idea, in contrary, if more people come up with a similar idea at the same time, it seems like a good idea). If you have any improvements, let me know! But please don't make it the standard rain team by suggesting ferro, koko and lucha/torn over scolipede ;)

Scolipede @ Waterium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Magearna @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 96 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Pain Split
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-886428418 Easy win vs Sun
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-886400318 Vs opposing Rain
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-886398464 Vs Sand with Mega TTar
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-885532242 Banded Kartana gets a OHKO turn one vs a Koko-Kyurem-Lucha-Team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-886424214 Scolipede turns the tides vs a stallish team with Mega-Venu, Alolomola and Chansey
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-885518768 Kingdra sweeps (being lucky with Hydropumps) vs a Koko-Gren-Char-X-Team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-885515078 Scolipede sweeps vs TTar Balance
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-885868735 Magearna scores multiple KOs vs a very interesting team featuring Arcanine (sub glare serp nearly costed me the game, only hax brought me back, very lucky)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-885867491 Scolipede wastes it z-move which prevented a sweep vs a team with Serp and Fini, but Kingdra saves the day
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-886546974 Scolipede could have swept vs an opponent to reach mid-ladder with a team featuring Passimian (respect), but I misplayed... Vs Mega-Venusaur
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-885882408 Kartana breaks Ferrothorn vs a Koko-Gren-Medi-team which opens up a kingdra sweep
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-885510497 Kartana breaks vs a team with zard, bulu and scarf kart and cleans in the end
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-885476061 Magearna breaks Chansey and Tapu Fini to allow for a win
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-885465732 Breaking a team with Skarm+Chansey, Scolipede sweeps in the end
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-885562313 Bluffing Scarf Kartana vs a team with lead Aerodactyl
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-885548796 Kartana haxes turn one (which prevented rocks) and secured a win vs a very interessting team (to which I lost twice in a row before) featuring scarf Keldeo

Last edited:
Well, it seems I'm not the only one trying to play Scolipede recently!

I love your idea to put it on a Rain Team, giving to this archetype a new option.

Does the Rain allows you to kill some Pokemon with Scolipede using Aqua Tail that normally would haven't?

In any case, great job dude! I may give it a try! And may the Mega Horn Accuracy be with you!

Well, it seems I'm not the only one trying to play Scolipede recently!

I love your idea to put it on a Rain Team, giving to this archetype a new option.

Does the Rain allows you to kill some Pokemon with Scolipede using Aqua Tail that normally would haven't?

In any case, great job dude! I may give it a try! And may the Mega Horn Accuracy be with you!
Yeah I saw your post today and thought it would be the right time to follow it up with my RMT, maybe we can make scolipede viable in OU together ;) Thanks for the compliment, i also liked your Team!

The rain guarantees
- the OHKO on Zapdos (with +2 Hydro Vortex), which frees up Kartana
- the OHKO on Scarf Lando without using the Z-Move (with +1 Aqua Tail) to save it for another threat
- the OHKO on Assault Vest Magearna (with +2 Hydro Vortex) while EQ only offers a 30%-chance
just to name a few examples. All of them without rocks.

While I commend you for using Scolipede, this team has a few exploitable issues when you butt up against some less favorable matchups.

Like most rain teams, you’re really weak to bulky grasses. Other than locking yourself into SS with Kart, nothing on your team actually breaks Ferrothorn. If it has Thunder wave, you’re toast. You’ll kill it eventually but in the hands of a good player it will really annoy your team.

other things to note are lack of priority, Pelipper being a weak defogger (opens you up to screens and web HO), and Ash Greninja countersweep if he can whittle Kingdra.

For changes, I’d give Kingdra Ice Beam and Hurricane to Pelipper. Swampert should be Jolly for base 100 +1 backup speed control, as well as outrunning Scarf Kart and Keldeo. Switch Magearna to AV so you can pivot to get your hitters in. Keep the Phys Def EVs.

That’s really all that can be done without changing the mons. No Hurricane spam..?

While I commend you for using Scolipede, this team has a few exploitable issues when you butt up against some less favorable matchups.

Like most rain teams, you’re really weak to bulky grasses. Other than locking yourself into SS with Kart, nothing on your team actually breaks Ferrothorn. If it has Thunder wave, you’re toast. You’ll kill it eventually but in the hands of a good player it will really annoy your team.

other things to note are lack of priority, Pelipper being a weak defogger (opens you up to screens and web HO), and Ash Greninja countersweep if he can whittle Kingdra.

For changes, I’d give Kingdra Ice Beam and Hurricane to Pelipper. Swampert should be Jolly for base 100 +1 backup speed control, as well as outrunning Scarf Kart and Keldeo. Switch Magearna to AV so you can pivot to get your hitters in. Keep the Phys Def EVs.

That’s really all that can be done without changing the mons. No Hurricane spam..?
Hi, thanks a lot for the rate and pointing out the weaknesses of this build =)

While I agree that bulky grasses (and waters) are an intrinsic annoyance to most rain teams, I don't think this team is particularly weak to them, having 3 reliable switchins (2 of them even profiting from the free switchin). Ferro with T-wave is an annoyance to any switchin bar zapdos, but even if paralyzed, banded kart is far from being useless and I trade the para anyday to stack damage on Ferro (putting it in range of EQ dir example). Knock off is a save midground which does get rid of Ferros lefties if it stays in but also damages other switchins, with kart also blocking leech seed recovery, Ferro is whittled down rather fast by the continouous attacks it has to take. You can see the team dealing with Ferro in many of the replays I provided.

I fully agree with your third paragraph, priority and a more consistent defogger would be nice to have. Im trying to give reasons for my choices in the following, knowing that they still might not be optimal :
- I'd like to use Ash-Gren over Kingdra for spikes and prio, but it opens the team too much to opposing Ash-Gren.
- The reason I use scolipede over Torn (which offers a better defogger and hurricane spam) is Scolipede's ability to not only threaten out grasses, but set up in their faces and achieve a kill afterwards, as well as being able to deal with Zapdos (which stops torn cold). This lets me run Kartana on the last slot.
- Changing Mag to AV takes away an important win con vs bulkier teams/stall, while only adding a subpar check to ash-grens hydro in rain.
- I dont like Hurricane on defensive Pelipper, since I prefer to switch out facing grasses to preserve health and get Kart/Scoli into position. Also, defog on Pelipper is nice to get rid of spikes/t-spikes.
- Jolly Swampert doesn't help too much with scarf Kart and Keldeo, since it cannot OHKO them. On the other hand, the added power of adamant pert helps stacking damage on mons like Ferro and Fini.
- Ice beam on Kingdra is worth a try.

Thanks for your interesst in the team! Feel free to playtest it and give me feedback on how it did for you!

Last edited:
I think you’ve maxed out this teams potential with the mons you’ve chosen.

Jolly Pert vs Adamant is defense vs offense. Outspeeding those mons, esp Scarf Keldeo are so you have the option not to switch out of them. Right now Kingdra is your only line of defense against fast speed boosters. I’m using rain I find Swampert to be more of revenge killer than a sweeper or wall breaker. He isn’t quite fast or strong enough to do either.

I really don't like lack of defensive swith-ins. Basically the only thing that can take the attack is Pelipper and not really, as it has relatively poor defences and you don't want it to die and loose Rain. It's like you set-up Rain, then bring out threat after the threat. If they respond with something your currently active mon has no coverage for, you simply have to let it die or you loose momentum.

Pert + Kingdra is really much offensive presence already. And on top of that you slap offensive Mag, offensive Kart and offensive Scolipede. There's no reliable Rocker, no Spiker, no Hazard removal (and you easily get overwhelmed with Hazards having only one type and only on Pert, which doesn't like to set them up either way) and no momentum here.

At least 2 of the aforementioned mons could easily be dropped for something like AV Mag, Thorn, Torn, defensive Lando etc. This is more Hyper Offence than typical Hyper Offence.

I really don't like lack of defensive swith-ins. Basically the only thing that can take the attack is Pelipper and not really, as it has relatively poor defences and you don't want it to die and loose Rain. It's like you set-up Rain, then bring out threat after the threat. If they respond with something your currently active mon has no coverage for, you simply have to let it die or you loose momentum.

Pert + Kingdra is really much offensive presence already. And on top of that you slap offensive Mag, offensive Kart and offensive Scolipede. There's no reliable Rocker, no Spiker, no Hazard removal (and you easily get overwhelmed with Hazards having only one type and only on Pert, which doesn't like to set them up either way) and no momentum here.

At least 2 of the aforementioned mons could easily be dropped for something like AV Mag, Thorn, Torn, defensive Lando etc. This is more Hyper Offence than typical Hyper Offence.
Hey,
Thanks for looking over the team! Of course you are right, this is indeed a hyper offensive team that doesn't have switch-ins to every mon. I like the hyper offensive approach for rain teams, since a balanced team is hard to achieve with at least 3 water mons, and the rain sweepers appreciate their checks weakened by other offensive mons. Still, I tried to put together offensive mons that have decent defensive synergy, so you don't necessarily have to sack a mon each time it is walled, and by switching in another offensive mon that threatens the opponent you also don't loose momentum.

Still, you are right that a well played fat hazard stacking team can become a problem for this team.

Hi, I have read the full post, the comments and the team. I´m OK with all the team (now I´m trying Kingdra with Ice Beam), I´ve changed Kartanas band to a scarf. I think it is better as a revenge killer and without rain you need speed (for example with a protean gren and others that you can give a 1HKO with scarf). Ty!

I feel your team is super Hawlucha weak and you should have some kind of poke with a priority attack user such as Ash Gren or Azumarill

Hi, I have read the full post, the comments and the team. I´m OK with all the team (now I´m trying Kingdra with Ice Beam), I´ve changed Kartanas band to a scarf. I think it is better as a revenge killer and without rain you need speed (for example with a protean gren and others that you can give a 1HKO with scarf). Ty!
Hi, I'm glad you like the team! I like Band on Kartana better for the immediate power it provides, which helps a lot vs slower and bulkier teams (vs which the Swift Swim sweepers usually struggle a bit). To give an example, Banded Kart OHKOs Kyurem-Black, which people like to lead with vs Rain. I feel like the two Swift Swimmers offer enough speed. However, if the team works better for you with a Scarf Kart, you just have to go with what you like best ;) Thanks for your feedback and good luck with the team =)

I feel your team is super Hawlucha weak and you should have some kind of poke with a priority attack user such as Ash Gren or Azumarill
Magearna's EV are specifically designed to check Hawlucha, it lives +2 High Jump Kick and OHKOs with Thunderbolt in return. However, you have to keep it healthy when facing Hawlucha. I feel like priority is no necessity on a team with 2 Swift Swim users, if you think otherwise, you might want to exchange Kingdra for Ash-Greninja. However, makes the team a lot weaker to water type attacks, e.g. from opposing Ash-Greninja. Thanks for rating the team =)

The Magearna set is pretty cool but still loses if the opponent gets up rocks and a few layers of Spikes seeing as how you only have one defogger that isn't super relaible

Yeah, you have to prevent Spike-Stacking, which should be possible most of the times due to the very offensive nature of the team, but if you somehow fail to do so, Hawlucha is a problem as you pointed out.

(Without Rocks, Pelipper also lives every attack from +2 Hawlucha except Stone Edge, but this scenario is very unlikely.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)