Pokémon Scolipede

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scolipede
Pokedex Number: 545
Type: Bug/Poison
Base stats: 60/100/89/55/69/112 *Base attack increased to 100 as of Gen VI
Abilities: Poison Point/Swarm Hidden: Speed Boost (replaces Quick Feet)

Notable Moves:

Level Up

• Protect
  • Baton Pass
  • Megahorn
Egg Moves
  • Spikes
  • Toxic Spikes
TM
  • Swords Dance
  • Substitute
  • Earthquake
  • Rock Slike
  • X-Scissor
  • Poison Jab
B2/W2 Move Tutor
  • Aqua Tail
  • Iron Tail
  • Iron Defense
  • Superpower
*Because Speed boost is replacing Quickfeet, all B2W2 moves should be available on December 25th when Pokemon Bank is opened.

General Analysis:
The fifth Generation may have introduced a slew of Bug pokemon, but its metagame wasn't exactly kind of to most to of them. While Volcarona reigned terror in OU, the its siblings struggled to compete for niches against pokemon of the previous generations and inevitably fell to the depths of RU and NU.

The XY generation gives Scolipede, the fastest NU spikes setter, a new lease at life with Speed Boost. With Speed Boost, Scolipede has everything it needs to fill a variety of roles. Spikes and Toxic Spikes allow Scolipede to set up and build momentum with Speed Boosts, while Baton Pass allows it to pass that momentum along to team mates.

While Speed Boost is a great addition to Scolipede's arsenal, it only helps to round out the pokemon's many weakeness, not eliminate them. Pitiful 60/89/69 defenses easily fall prey to priority attacks. While Bug Poison grants Scolipede a handy 4x resistance to fighting and grass types, it is weak to attacks commonly carried by other leads. Weakness to Stealth Rock prevents Scolipede from switching in too often. Scolipede's overall frailty greatly reduces the number of opportunities it has to set up.

Potential Sets

Offensive Support

Scolipede@Black Sludge / Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 34 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe or 252 HP / 34 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance / Earthquake / Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Protect
- Baton Pass

This set aims to take full advantage of Scolipede's speed boosts while allowing it to support in various ways. Megahorn is Scolipede's go-to STAB attack. It can OHKO Azelf and 2HKO Uxie and Mespirit, all of which are common leads. Protect is useful for both scouting Choice Leads and ensuring a speed boost, while 224 EVs in Speed and Jolly nature allow Scolipede to out-speed scarfed 108 base speed Pokemon after one boost. The choice between Swords Dance, Earthquake and Spikes depends largely on the needs of the rest of the team.

Using this set simple. Lead with Spikes/Swords Dance and Baton Pass to a teammate when finished. If the opponent leads with a faster Pokemon or potential scarfer, use Protect to out-speed it next turn and pass to the appropriate team member.

Offensive EVs should be used the player chooses Earthquake. Megahorn should KO the lake trio just as effectively without the EV investment.

!00 Ways to Baton Pass (as suggested by Bluemoon, but with some tweaks)

Scolipede@B Mental herb/ Black Sludge / Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 34 Def / 224 Spe or 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe (Without Protect) or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk (Impish Nature)
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn / Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Protect / Swords Dance
- Substitute / Iron Defense
- Baton Pass

Scolipede has as many support options as it does legs. and this set aims to make the best use of them along with the Amazing Benefits of Speed boost. There are so many options in fact that it's difficult to fit them into all into one set, but I'll try anyway! Using this set is easy, but picking among the many options is very difficult.

Megahorn prevents Scolipede from becoming Taunt Bait, and is able to deal decent damage even without investment.

Spikes and Toxic Spikes are useful to have on the field, considering how Scolipede and the threat it poses can bluff many switches.

Protect and 224 Spe EVs is, as previously mentioned, useful for scouting 108 base speed scarf pokemon who would otherwise force Scolipede out. Otherwise 160 Spe EVs will let Scolipede out-speed common 100 base speed pokemon. No Spe investments will still allow it to outspeed most pokemon not wearing scarf.

Swords Dance is always a useful options for physically oriented teams.

Substitute protects Scolipede from Status while setting up, especially paralysis.

Iron Defense may seem like a gimmicky option, but it should allow Scolipede more turns to set up against physical attackers, and is more reliable for stalling thanks to the nerf to critical attacks in Gen VI.

Sweeper/Cleaner (Some moves not available until December)

Scolipede@Black Sludge / Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Earthquake / Superpower/ Poison Jab
- Aqua Tail / Iron Tail / Rock Slide / Baton Pass
- Swords Dance

With Speed Boost and Swords Dance Scolipede has the potential to become a powerful sweeper. Megahorn is powerful primary STAB useful for any set, while the choice between Scolipedes other moves depends wholly on your team's coverage. Baton Pass maintains momentum in case Scolipede is walled and should generally be used if your other team members good enough coverage and bulk to switch in.

Checks and Counters

Sableye's shenanigans put a complete halt to Scolipede. Priority Taunt prevents scolipede from passing on its boosts to teammates while Will-o-Wisps cripples Scolipede offensively. Whenever Sableye switches into Scolipede, the only safe option is for Scolipede to switch out manually. Talonflame is another counter s it boasts 4x resistance against Megahorn, and its priority Acrobatics will threaten to OHKO Scolipede. Skarmory (if Scolipede ever makes it to OU) takes a pittance even from boosted attacks and can 2HKO with Brave Bird or Whirlwind him away.

Checks include physically defensive pokemon able tank Megahorn or Earthquake and spank Scolipede, who will likely die due to its low defenses, or able to phase it out. Taunt users outside of Sableye are unreliable due to Scolipede's Speed, but they can stop Scolipede in its tracks if they manage to Taunt before it sets up.

Conclusion
Speed boosts gives Scolipede, an already decent but outclassed pokemon, potential to differentiate itself from its unfortunate bug-type brethren, potential that will hopefully be enough to shake up the metagame.

Last edited:
This guy NEEDS a pure baton pass set with speed boost.

I think it outclasses ninjask by a lot. It has an offensive presence, can set up hazards, has better typing, and only sacrifices speed (you could protect first turn tho)

Thanks, ill take two scolipedes!

Baton Pass
Scolipede@mental herb
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn/Spikes/Toxic spikes
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You really need to add Spikes on the main sets of Scolipede, one of his biggest advantages over Speed Boost Blaziken. No Pokemon can prevent Spikes + Swords Dance + Baton Pass Speed Boost Scolipede from doing at least one of its jobs. Spinner wants to come in and get rid of your hazards? Great, just use Swords Dance as it comes in and then Baton Pass away +2 Atk and +1 Spe boost, or just continue boosting if the spinner can't hurt you back. Phazers coming in to get rid of your stat boosts? Lay some Spikes as they come in to pressure their whole team. Swords Dance / Megahorn / Spikes / Baton Pass is the set i would use on this thing, with maybe Protect slashed with Swords Dance in case where you need a guaranteed Speed boost (revenge killing purposes mainly, or situations where a Speed boost is all Scolipede or one of its teammates need but it can't get it because the opponent's active Pokemon is threatening Scolipede with a OHKO). Honestly, this thing is gonna be sooooo fucking great i don't know if my body is ready for it...!

I'd rather just sic a Choice Band on Scolipede, like what I used to do for Gen V UU. Now that it gets Speed Boost instead of Quick Feet, a Choice Band set can just hit hard and be faster over time without having to worry about Sableye's Taunts doing anything.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anyone who knows me well should know how much I love this thing; talked about it in the RU and UU forums as if it were the best Pokemon in the world, lol.

Anyways, Scolipede was pretty solid in 5th Gen, could work in practically any tier you wanted it to; even OU. With Speed Boost, Scolipede is looking to be more solid than ever, and it can find yet another niche as a SubTect+BP to pass Speed boosts to mons like Druddigon and friends to make physical attackers all the more deadly. Basically, all I gotta say now is "Ninjask, you're fired."

Of course, Scolipede will still be a potent physical sweeper with SD, Megahorn, and QuakeSlide coverage, or it could run Poison Jab to handle Fairies quite well. Fast spiking is still pretty good as well. Scolipede is definitely going to be pretty good this gen, even moreso than BW (and it was really good in BW).

Yeah this guy is pretty amazing. Here's the set I use:

Speed Boost Sweeper
Scolipede @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

He outspeeds almost everything after a protect; Adamant LO Megahorn hits really hard, and Earthquake and Rock Slide provide good coverage.

Just gotta say Scolipede has been tearing it up for me in the high 1700' range! Mostly as a mid or late game sweep.

Scolipede @ Leftovers
Speed Boost
Adamant
252 Attack / 200 HP / 56 HP
-Swords Dance
-Mega Horn
-Rock Slide
-Aqua Tail

This is my favorite and most fulfilling Pokemon to use right now. Gotta give him enough bulk to handle the revenge priority users like Azumarill or Lucario who really shouldn't be taking him out. Most glaring weakness is Talonflame due to his priority flying moves... and also iffy accuracy on these attacks.

I recommend this set right here:

Scolipede @ Focus SasH
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Spikes
- Swords Dance / Toxic Spikes
- Megahorn
- Baton Pass

As Alexwolf said, there is nothing currently legal that can stop Scolipede from doing one of its two jobs with this set; passing a Swords Dance boost or setting up at least one layer of Spikes.

So I decided that for this thread I'd change it up by keeping moveset posts (there'd be nothing left tbh) - but I want to use them as a base to move off of. I think we're moving towards Adamant being "better" (and let's know for sure that it is) but it's time to focus on what alexwolf said - Spikes on the main sets. Is it actually worth using Scolipede for just a pure Baton Passer [weak to Stealth Rock, not really "good" typing, etc] rather than using Spikes. To me that seems like one of its major niches. So for those suggesting the sweeping sets, what is your goal in the meta atm with Scolipede. What makes it a better sweeper than the other options available, outside of "Swords Dance and Outspeed" - look at the current metagame (maybe the ability to run STAB Megahorn and the STAB Poison Jab for Fairies is key?) and decide why it'd be the direction to go.

Personally, I agree with alexwolf. I don't see a reason to run Scolipede without Spikes. It sets it apart from Blaziken and is actually just an offensive Spiker that can set up on Rapid Spinners (Pokemon like Forry be careful, you're set up fodder for Baton Pass) while Megahorn can OHKO Starmie after it switches in (you'll be faster with Speed Boost). I think we really need to think about "why am I running this" though with the pure sweeping sets. Obviously SD + Speed Boost is great but again, is it worth it?

As an aside, this thread isn't for discussing breeding nor how Pokebank transfer will work, that is what many of the posts had been surrounding. Let's focus on Scolipede itself and where it fits into the meta.

Scolipede doesn't need to set itself apart from blaziken; I know we're not supposed to talk about tiers but blaziken is über as sure as the sky is blue.

The only question is how many speed EVs the adamant one needs. I haven't decided what I need to outspeed yet. I think it's like 266 speed to beat +speed nature base 130s at +1 (it's been a long time since I've competed).

I think ive decided on poison jab/earthquake/swords dance/baton pass. Poison/Ground gets sick coverage and you are BPing out of skarm/gliscor anyway.

Last edited:
Watching this thing Pass after one turn of Dance + Speed Boost to, say Talonflame is obscenely good- it just needs to survive that one turn. (Optionally, run Protect + Sash, give next Pokemon +2 Speed to wreck face.)

It's certainly got the tools thanks to now having passive +Spd generation.

This guy has been doing really well with me in OU, I run mine with wtih focus sash, max hp and atk EVs and it just wrecks faces, it can even sweep the whole team if given the chance to set-up
I
Moveset looks like:
Protect
Swords Dance
EQ
Baton Pass

This set allows me to run bulkier pokemon and make them into a sweeper, (I currently use Resttalk bulky Megados as his partner in crime). For this reason, I'm now wondering if I should make him into a pure baton passer with substitute/spikes instead of EQ. Has anybody tried this and lived to tell the tale?

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
The only real reason I can see to use Scolipede in a tier where blaziken exists without spikes is if you're running a full baton pass team, on which I expect it to become a staple. This thing pretty much entirely outclasses ninjask in that role (or any role really). This is mostly because of iron defense. Full BP teams are all about racking up the defensive boosts quickly.

Quite frankly, the only scolipede set I would use is this one

Scolipede @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (-Atk, +Spe)
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Iron Defense
- Substitute

Not wholly sure about the EVs - these ones give you something close to what a physically defensive ninjask gives you. All that speed is probably not necessary, actually.

To be used exclusively with a full baton pass team (espeon and co). They appear still to be viable, gaining sylveon in particular as a useful special defense booster. Talonflame is certainly something of an issue, and requires you to switch up your lead sometimes, but it is not insurmountable.

I just learned Scolipede gets Venom Drench, could that be useful considering Scolipede's speed? It's a great way to sap sweepers.

I just learned Scolipede gets Venom Drench, could that be useful considering Scolipede's speed? It's a great way to sap sweepers.
Scolipede could be a great way to set up sweeps now. It can use a set like this:

Scolipede @ leftovers/focus sash/pinch berry
Nature: Impish
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Def/8 Spe
-Baton Pass
-Venom Drench
-Megahorn
-Protect/Swords Dance

The main goal is to cripple the opponent's pokemon and then baton pass speed boosts to something really dangerous that also has great synergy with scolipede that would really appreciate speed boosts. When the opponent switches out, you can just baton pass your speed boosts away as you see what type of pokemon they bring in (hopefully to something that can use a move like nasty plot or swords dance)

also: I don't know what EVs to use on him, so what I posted probably isn't the best spread.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Venom Drench is far too situational to be worth the moveslot. It requires that the opponent be poisoned for it to work, and even if it does, it's only a one-stage drop. You're better off using that moveslot for Spikes.

Has anyone else tried using
Scolipede@focus sash
252Atk/252Spe/6hp
Jolly nature
Speed boost
-protect
-SD
-baton pass
-megahorn/poison jab/earthquake

You protect your first turn, free speed boost, swords dance next turn, another speed boost, protect again for a third speed boost, and then baton pass to mega pinsir. After a free swords dance, and 3 speed boosts, mega pinsir has yet to fail for me. It sweeps every single remaining person on my opponents team except for the occasional skarmory so far. And even then it can usually 2-3KO it! This works insanely well because you don't have to waste a turn setting up swords dance on pinsir and thus aren't susceptible to getting crippled before you start sweeping!

Does Jolly, especially on sets with protect, outrun anything significant? Adamant would seem like a stronger choice on any set with an attacking move.

Has anyone else tried using
Scolipede@focus sash
252Atk/252Spe/6hp
Jolly nature
Speed boost
-protect
-SD
-baton pass
-megahorn/poison jab/earthquake

You protect your first turn, free speed boost, swords dance next turn, another speed boost, protect again for a third speed boost, and then baton pass to mega pinsir. After a free swords dance, and 3 speed boosts, mega pinsir has yet to fail for me. It sweeps every single remaining person on my opponents team except for the occasional skarmory so far. And even then it can usually 2-3KO it! This works insanely well because you don't have to waste a turn setting up swords dance on pinsir and thus aren't susceptible to getting crippled before you start sweeping!
I lead with this against a Smeargle - got off a swords dance, Smeargle used spore and set up rocks, sticky web, and a couple layers of spikes before I woke up with a second swords dance. I baton passed +4 attack and +4-5 speed to Barbaracle and swept everything. I didn't end up using protect because sleeping for 3 turns gave me enough speed.

Unfortunately, this set doesn't really have a way to deal with it's counters, namely taunt and physical walls.

Like a lot of bug types, Scolipede gets Infestation (which Ninjask, the other speed boost baton passer apparently does not). If I'm not wrong, baton pass also passes the infestation, like it does with Mean Look? Whether baton pass also passes the boost in power or duration from the binding band and grip claw of that infestation I'm not sure (if not, passing to something with a binding band itself seems very powerful). But there certainly seems to be power with this set.
So perhaps a set like this would do well:

Earwigipede
Scolipede@Leftovers/Binding Band/Grip Claw
252HP/252Spe/4Def
Timid nature
Speed Boost ability
- Infestation
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance/Iron Defence/Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Protect
- Swords Dance/Iron Defence/Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Protect
I'm not sure what you could do for EVs, but if that speed is excessive more in the defences is obviously preferable.

Infestation acts as protection from taunt and is the focus of this set cutting off 1/8 of the trapped opponents' health per turn, binding band and grip claw serve different roles, binding band improves the damage as the target is trapped, grip claw ensures the target is trapped for longer to easily guarantee a set up. Baton Pass allows Scolipede to pass at worst a speed boost to an ally, at best setting them up for a perfect sweeping opportunity.
The last two moveslots will vary depending on what your team needs. Protect Guarantees passing +1 speed unless the opponent goes for a taunt and can stall infestation damage on top of its other uses. Swords Dance and Iron defence give you extra options of what to pass forward, Swords Dance synergises with Speed Boost better in helping set up a sweep while Iron defence helps scolipede live long enough to pass on its boosts. Spikes and Toxic Spikes are more classic arena traps, spikes being helpful for aggressive teams which fear grounded threats, while toxic spikes can add up for a ton of damage quickly and has better synergy with protect.

If I'm not wrong, baton pass also passes the infestation, like it does with Mean Look?
On Gen 5 at least, it was changed so that Mean look cannot be baton passed anymore. Dunno if that was changed again now, tho, but I presume that it's the same as on Gen 5. Plus I don't think that partial trappin moves work like this.

as of gen V baton pass no longer transfers mean look / trapping moves; i assume it's the same now for things like infestation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)