Scrafty

(Hurray for terrible banners made in 5 seconds)

Zuruzukin has easily earned my approval, and he is currently my favorite Pokemon of Gen V. Great typing, Good stats, and he looks awesome too! Today, I'll examine how well he could fare in the metagame, and what tools he has at his disposal. Let's start with his stats, abilities (3 of them!), and learnset.

HP: 65
Attack: 90
Defense: 115
Speed: 58
Sp. Attack: 45
Sp. Defense: 115

ABILITIES:
Shed Skin: Every turn, there is a 1/3 chance of removing a Status Ailment.
Overconfidence: Attack raises every time you faint an enemy Pokemon.
Intimidate: Lowers attack of an opposing Pokemon by 1 stage.

Choosing an ability: Shed Skin, Intimidate, and Overconfidence are all AMAZING abilities to start out with, and from the looks of it, Zuru doesn't even need some of them! Intimidate is completely un-needed, with respectable defensive stats like 65/115/115. Shed Skin could be useful to an extent, preventing statuses like Burn from ruining a sweep. Overconfidence is a great ability too, and can raise stats more effectively than using Bulk Up/Dragon Dance/Cheer Up. I would definitely go with Overconfidence with this Pokemon.

Code:
1-Leer - Normal - Other
1-Low Kick - Fight - Physical
1-Sand-attack - Ground - Other
1-Faint attack - Dark - Physical
5- Sand-attack - Ground - Other
9- Faint Attack - Dark - Physical
12- Headbutt - Normal - Physical
16- Swagger - Normal - Other
20- Brick Break - Fight - Physical
23- Payback - Dark - Physical
27- ??? - ??? - ???
31- Hi Jump Kick - Fight - Physical
34- Scary Face - Normal - Other
38- Crunch - Dark - Physical
45- Facade - Normal - Physical
51- Rock Climb - Normal - Physical
58- Focus Punch - Fighting - Physical
65- Head Smash - Rock - Physical

Code:
Learnable TMs: , 
TM02 - Dragon Claw, 
TM05 - Roar, 
TM06 - Toxic,
TM08 - Bulk Up, 
TM10 - Hidden Power, 
TM11 - Sunny Day, 
TM12 - Taunt, 
TM15 - Hyper Beam, 
TM17 - Protect, 
TM18 - Rain Dance, 
TM21 - Frustration, 
TM23 - Strike Down, 
TM27 - Return, 
TM28 - Dig, 
TM31 - Brick Break, 
TM32 - Double Team, 
TM36 - Sludge Bomb, 
TM39 - Rock Tomb, 
TM41 - Torment, 
TM42 - Facade, 
TM44 - Rest, 
TM45 - Attract, 
TM46 - Thief, 
TM47 - Ankle Sweep, 
TM48 - Troll, 
TM52 - Focus Blast, 
TM56 - Fling, 
TM59 - Complete Burn, 
TM66 - Payback, 
TM67 - Get Even, 
TM68 - Giga Impact, 
TM71 - Stone Edge, 
TM80 - Rock Slide, 
TM82 - Dragon Tail, 
TM83 - Cheer Up, 
TM84 - Poison Jab, 
TM86 - Grass Knot, 
TM87 - Swagger, 
TM90 - Substitute, 
TM94 - Rock Smash, 
TM95 - Back Out, 
HM04 - Strength
Code:
Egg moves, courtesy of Upstart:
Drain Punch
Counter
Dragon Dance
Detect
Fake Out
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
ThunderPunch
Amnesia
Faint Attack
Zen Headbutt
Analysis of Zuruzukin:
At a glance, Zuruzukin looks like an all-out offensive pokemon, with access to lots of TMs and moves like Head Smash and Focus Punch. However, it is possible to play Zuru as a tank, with crazy defenses like that. His terrible speed is made up for with access to Dragon Dance, and he can make himself even more bulkier with Bulk Up or Amnesia. He has access to the elemental punches, Drain Punch (which got a power boost this generation), and many crippling moves such as Toxic and Scary Face.

Zuruzukin may come into play as a slower, bulkier version of Ambipom with access to Taunt and Fake Out, as well as Protect and Substitute. He could also make a great late game sweeper, and paired with Dragon Dance, can potentially rape everything in the ass mercilessly. With a +Atk nature and a 252 Atk EV investment, you get a 306 Attack power, and with two turns of setup, that gets doubled into a monstrous 612 attack stat. He has enough time to do this with his defense and sp defense. Speed gets a boost, as well. Imagine a pokemon with monstrous defenses and 600+ attack running around with 400+ speed. That is Zuruzukin. Then imagine having Overconfidence on him. Every time he KOs someone, he gets even stronger.

Face it, Zuruzukin will fck your shit. Backwards.

Possible Sets:

Sub DD Zuru@ Leftovers
Overconfidence
252 Atk/4 HP/252 Speed
Dragon Dance
Substitute
Crunch
Focus Punch

SubPunches work great if you can get it set up, and Zuru is no exception. Crunch and Focus Punch are two very powerful stab moves. I went for lefties instead of life orb or something else because of:
1) the added survivability
2) it's attack stat is already crazy after a single dd and a KO.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bulky Zuru @ Lefties
Shed Skin
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Speed
Bulk Up
Toxic
Crunch
Brick Break

This is a very effective set, with Shed Skin getting rid of any ailments quickly and Toxic disposing of the opponent eventually. Bulk Up makes Zuru even bulkier, and Crunch and Brick Break are two powerful filler STAB moves in case you get taunted.

So, that's it, if you have anything else you want to suggest, post it below. It's not possible to determine what tier he will be in, and I'm quite sure that this is disallowed so I won't go further into the subject. However, from what I've seen, he can become quite a threat and with the element of surprise and a varied learnset. Ludicolo is great because of this too :)
Zuruzukin will steal your wife, rape your child, and then fuck your shit. Backwards. >:3

Upstart

Copy Cat
I realize that you asked for no replies yet but I am posting to say that you forgot his egg moves. Which in this case is crucial as his egg moves may be enough to save him from low UU or NU tier.

Egg Moves:
Drain Punch
Counter
Dragon Dance
Detect
Fake Out
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
ThunderPunch

Amnesia
Faint Attack
Zen Headbutt

I think that Drain Punch is better than Brick Break now... and he could use the healing as he doesn't have any outside of rest

It sounds interesting, but x2 vs fighting like other dark, and 65 HP stat. On this metagame, it will be 2HKO by anything, before his statement, I don't know...

I think you're overestimating Zuruzukin's sweeping ability. It has terrible speed and only average attack. IMO, you should be focusing on its defensive abilities.

Zuruzukin @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def (or 252 HP/252 Atk/4Def with Adamant)
Nature: Impish
Ability: Intimidate/Shed Skin

Payback
Drain Punch
Stone Edge/Ice Punch/Thunder Punch/Rest
Dragon Tail/Rest

Payback is its primary STAB and will double to 100 Base Power if it moves last, which it probably will with its low speed. Drain Punch has its Base Power raised to 75 (correct me if I'm wrong) so it's now just as powerful as Brick Break and will give you some recovery, which Zuruzukin definitely needs. The third slot is for added coverage since, although it gets nearly perfect coverage with its STABs, defensive Pokemon such as Gliscor, Zapdos, and Intimidate Salamence and Gyarados will still give you problems. The final slot is for support and Zuruzukin can use its good defenses to phaze with Dragon Tail. Rest is included to give Zuruzukin recovery, but should only be used with Shed Skin as many Pokemon can set up in the 3 turns it's asleep.

Zuruzukin @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpDef
Nature: Careful
Ability: Shed Skin

Bulk Up
Payback
Drain Punch
Rest/Stone Edge

This set allows Zuruzukin (first time I've spelled it right without backspace) to set up and tank hits even better. Payback and Drain Punch are for STABs and Rest gives you a decent form of recovery.

Zuruzukin @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Natue: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate/Overconfidence

Substitute
Focus Punch
Payback
Stone Edge/Ice Punch/Thunder Punch

Substitute and Focus Punch allows you to ease prediction against switch ins and hit them extremely hard. Simply switch in to an attack Zuruzukin can easily take such as a Choice locked Dark or Rock attack from Tyranitar and set up a Substitute. The main Pokemon that won't take much damage from Focus Punch are Ghost types and Zuruzukin easily (?) takes them out with Payback. The final slot is mainly for Flying types and SE coverage as even a NVE Focus Punch will do more than a nuetral Stone Edge. Since prediction is much easier with this set, you can effectively give Zuruzukin Overconfidence to give it an Atk boost when it nets a kill.

derp. Zuruzukin is also my gave 5th Gen mon! <3

I overexpected though. I wanted him to get Sucker Punch, Pursuit and Mach Punch. :\

with those priority moves, he could abuse his Defenses coupled with his decent attacking stat to become a Priority STAB Sweeper and a Trapper.

I need to think of a new set for him. Payback sounds good. :D

Flying and fighting are very uncommon attacking types on defensive typings and this guy is really bulky. A bulky DD / HJK / Crunch / Stone Edge will beat defensive walls before they know it and with +2 speed he will be hard to revenge.

derp. Zuruzukin is also my gave 5th Gen mon! <3

I overexpected though. I wanted him to get Sucker Punch, Pursuit and Mach Punch. :\

with those priority moves, he could abuse his Defenses coupled with his decent attacking stat to become a Priority STAB Sweeper and a Trapper.

I need to think of a new set for him. Payback sounds good. :D
Payback is actually a great move. And if he had access to it, Sucker Punch would've made Zuru a monster :O

Payback is actually a great move. And if he had access to it, Sucker Punch would've made Zuru a monster :O
I find it odd that he didn't get it, seeing as how he's supposed to represent a street thug and all.

Oh well. His speed allows him to take advantage of Payback, and he's got DD if you don't like the slow speed.

Shame about no Sucker Punch, it's like...the perfect move for him. I guess that's balance? It gets Dragon Dance and the elemental punches (why), so it can abuse those instead.

I agree, a more defensive set would be more effective for Zuruzukin. I think a defense oriented DD set could work out the best. Intimidate is a great option--don't look down on it. The boost granted from Overconfidence simply doesn't rival Zuruzukin's ability to play defense.
As far as I can see, it only has 2 weaknesses, which is good for a defensive pokemon. But it only has 3 resistances and 1 immunity.
Intimidate, Leftovers
Set:
Dragon Dance/ Bulk Up (A really good side option that may outclass DD considering Zuruzukins terrible speed. I imagine DD would be used only in a situation where Zuruzukin's stats allow him to grab many DD's to win a game.)
Substitute/Coverage/Other Options
Fighting Move
Crunch

Looking at his stats for the first time, I immediately thought he was a terrible pokemon. Pretty awful HP offsets his decent defenses, and he's really slow and doesn't have much in the way of attack. But I'm pleasantly surprised to see that he's actually looking quite good.

I really like it's awesome STAB combo, but I think it should function mainly as a defensive pokemon. Rotom operates off of worse defenses and worse HP, so I'm sure Zuruzukin can get by, especially with Intimidate. Overconfidence is great as it allows him to kill off psychic and ghost types with Crunch.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Bulk-up RestTalk would be pretty awesome on this thing:

Zuruzukin @ Leftovers
Careful
EVs: 252 HP/40 Atk/216 SpD
-Bulk Up
-Crunch
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

This is essentially Tyranitar with a better typing. It is potentially a good last Pokemon win condition and tank; and not much can 2HKO it after a Bulk Up.

The only challenge is choosing which ability is best for this set. I honestly cannot tell!

How can can anybody think that it looks 'awesome'?

I agree with DDR Master (on mostly everything). When looking at these sets, you invested nothing in its defenses. Its defenses are good, but not THAT good. They need the EV investment, not just speed and attack. Its speed is terrible.
Also, it's just plain wrong not to use Drain Punch or Payback in its movepool. Those moves are perfect for it.

I find it odd that he didn't get it, seeing as how he's supposed to represent a street thug and all.
It is? Funny, I was guessing that it was supposed to be something like that. What with the mohawk and the hood and the baggy pants.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I would avoid using Payback on Bulk-Up RestTalk, as Crunch has more PP and you are able to beat Skarmory one-on-one with it.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sleep Talk is not a TM, therefore Zuruzukin cannot learn it. The best bet for a defensive boosting set would be something like:

Zuruzukin @ Leftovers
Nature: Careful
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
- Bulk Up
- Hi Jump Kick / Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Rest

It takes advantage of that base 115 SpD and can cure Rest's sleep status with Shed Skin. Drain Punch has been boosted to a decent 75 BP now, but with low PP something like Brick Break might be preferred. You also have a chance of losing a lot of HP if HJK misses.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Ohhh seriously? My bad. Damn, this is going to seriously hurt the use of "Cro" users out there.

Ya, Shed Skin would probably be best on this then.

i could possibly see you running sub over rest with a bulk up set though since shed skin doesn't have a 100% chance to cure you of sleep on your first turn and whatnot. or perhaps running toxic over bulk up in combination with rest to make walling capabilities even greater with a 252 HP 128 Def 128 SpDef spread. anything that you can't toxic, aka steel types mainly, will take super effective damage from your stab fighting moves anyways

I just wish he got revenge

Oh man. This thing has some insane defenses.

252 HP / 252 Defense Impish Zuru switching in on Gyarados during a Dragon Dance takes 35.3% - 42.2% from a Waterfall the following turn. If Gyarados doesn't Dragon Dance and instead attacks, you take just 23.7% - 28.1%! He even has a ~45% chance of surviving a +2(1) Ononoksu Outrage!

Drain Punch / Crunch / Rock Slide / Bulk Up looks like it can terrify a lot of things (besides Skarmory and Roar Hippowdon). Fighting weakness kind of sucks though.

Thing looks pretty cool to me.

What about some kind of slow, bulky Choice Bander? 252 HP or so, depending on if just small amounts of speed are needed to get anywhere, and pump 252 into attack with Adamant. Head Smash/Hi Jump Kick/Payback/Filler(Coverage Punch? Drain Punch? IDK). If you combine it with Intimidate, it can probably come into all kinds of stuff and threaten, and it still has respectable Base 90 Attack.

This thing is pretty cool, the HP and speed makes a lot to be desired and so does the lack of Sucker Punch. But having Intimidate can make for an effective Physical Wall on the switch in, even Shed Skin make it fear no burns. Though I can imagine this thing being UU at best.

Even so, that doesn't mean you can't have fun with both STAB Focus Punch and STAB boosted Payback (Due to low speed and everything) But at the end of the day it's still going to be weak to close combat and be outsped by other sweepers. Defensively it's okay with 4x dark resistance, 2x rock and ghost resistance but still UU at best.

Azure Demon

I like the little guy but he is certainly not ou material the closet he would jet there would probably be a tank set with over confidence or maybe a bulk up intimidate tank but other than that this guy is uu

When I first saw this Pokemon when everything got leaked I just said to myself, "Wow, this this looks like crap. I bet it's going to be top tier." Why am I always right...

This thing is pretty cool, the HP and speed makes a lot to be desired and so does the lack of Sucker Punch. But having Intimidate can make for an effective Physical Wall on the switch in, even Shed Skin make it fear no burns. Though I can imagine this thing being UU at best.

Even so, that doesn't mean you can't have fun with both STAB Focus Punch and STAB boosted Payback (Due to low speed and everything) But at the end of the day it's still going to be weak to close combat and be outsped by other sweepers. Defensively it's okay with 4x dark resistance, 2x rock and ghost resistance but still UU at best.
I never said he would be in OU, with all the new abilities and Pokemon that have been brought to the table *cough*onokonusuanditsgoddamn147attack*cough* He seems like he would be at least UU, if not BL.
I like the little guy but he is certainly not ou material the closet he would jet there would probably be a tank set with over confidence or maybe a bulk up intimidate tank but other than that this guy is uu
lrn2 englishlanguage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)