Scribblenauts Discussion Thread: Screw Pokemon. This is the reason you bought a DS.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I sort of got on this in the E3 thread but it needs its own.

First, watch part of this video to understand what this game is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnsOx9Akcc

Then, read this post.
Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.
And then realize how awesome the team is with community stuff by reading this:
Jackson said:
Feep and Post 217 will be in the game. It's too epic not to.

And yes 220 levels is the final count.
Rules for words:
Jackson said:
So I'll restate the rules here...

Concrete Objects Only
No Proper Nouns
No Copyrighted Words
No Adjectives
E-E10 rated words only - this means No Vulgar/Offensive/Lewd/Drug/Alcohol related words

Other than that... it works
There are a lot of words in this game. A lot. Unimaginable. The dictionary in this thing is massive. I don't even know how a game like this is possible. It's coming out this fall and should be on your Christmas lists or your pre-order lists.

Man, why haven't I heard of this before? Wow.

To see some more of what it's capable of, watch this fight between God and a kraken with Einstein looking on, if you haven't already.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm actually staying away from the videos now so I can play with a fresh mind =D

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
ya, these devolopers are pretty awsome (drawn to life, hells ya). the only thing i dont like is limiting your imagination because of "lewd" words. i mean, some things only a penis can solve, and to have the chance to use your penis to solve alot more things is a rare opportunity.

The freedom to do pretty much anything that I want to in a game? Amazing. The only thought that I have had since seeing this game is "how do I get enough money to buy it?!". That and a ton of other games brought to us by E3. I just don't have enough money to get them all. But if I were to buy one thing first it would certainly have to be this game. Look like years of fun. I mean pretty much any word you can think of you can use. Jesus.

This looks like an amazing game. At first I was like there's no way they can possibly fit too many words in here - they'll just have a bland dictionary. But after watching the vidoes I'm truly in awe. Can't wait for its release.

I'm sure they have some figures like Santa Claus and obviously Einstein/God, but I doubt they're going to have every little person. Most likely they'll just have some of the world's most prominent and well-known figures.

i dont think that was really einstein - i think if he had typed "professor" or "scientist" the result would have been the same. it seems very possible that groups of words with similar meanings may be grouped to a single sprite

This looks amazing but I'm sure it can't be thatttttt large.. Can the DS really fit that many things into a cartirage. I have a feeling it will end up feeling pretty limited.. But I guess I'll see when I buy the game!

Or, the game will feel a bit boring. Because while there are a lot of things to make appear you can't do much with them. Such as in the video, nothing was done to throw the football directly at the star but it just went in an automatic path. I know you can chain certain items but I doubt every object reacts with every object in some way.

Firestorm

Logann, I might have agreed with you before I saw the post I linked to and this video, which is the last video I'm going to see on Scribblenauts. As of now I'm on a media blackout for this game. I want to discover it for myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfmzGJA6FRw#t=10m37s
If it doesn't automatically skip ahead, go to 10 minute, 37 second mark.

Firestorm

This game is a lot broader than I ever imagined. It is going to be crazy. I can't wait.

That's incorrect based on the second video.
Well, some names are in there. But those are the rules as laid out by the dev. Jackson is the Creative Director on Scribblenauts.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
wow, this looks amazing. i cant imagine the work put into this, and i had no idea the capacity of a ds cartridge. this is one of my top games to buy this year. i cant wait!

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
T-this is incredible. I'm so fuckin pumped for this.

I wish God was more like an omnipotent presence, though. I was really disenchanted when the Kraken destroyed Him, also when a regular Vampire beat up Cthulhu. And why would God even attack a giant octopus? Hahaha, okay whatever it's still an awesome game. A jackalope? Seriously? xD

Firestorm

5th Cell is quite possible one of the best developers out there. Look what they made =)

I really want it but I doubt EVERYtHING is possible.
excluding the stuff you cant get.

If I write rain, will it start raining?
If I write clone will it duplicate?

Firestorm

I really want it but I doubt EVERYtHING is possible.
excluding the stuff you cant get.

If I write rain, will it start raining?
If I write clone will it duplicate?
Probably. Those are pretty common. Although both would be nouns. So the clone would just be a clone of you I think. It probably won't clone your object. Although it might interpret it as a clone of the object. Who knows. Find out when you get the game =P

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
they had a feature in nintendo power this month and they said the had some problems with stuff, like rabbits ended up crashing the game because they kept multiplying (cause thats what rabbits do) and something else which i found comical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)