XY NU Semi-Offensive Team

Best Mon on this Team

• Total voters
INTRO

This team is mainly offensive. I make teams like I usually do: get as many different types as possible. However, unlike other teams, this team has gotten me some success, getting me to the mid 1300's (I know that is still low but it's better than what I do normally) so I want to see if there is anything I can improve on or not.

THE TEAM

Cacturne @ Focus Sash
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance

This is what I believe to be the standard physical Cacturne set. It is surprisingly strong even without a Swords Dance, so its Sucker Punches can deal damage while making up for its lackluster speed. There's also potential in heaing through Drain Punch should the opponent choose not to go for the attacking move (except for Will-O-Wisp)

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

PRAISE THE HELIX! Another standard set, mainly for the offensive and sweeping capabilities. Also provides good type coverage. Weak Armor boosts speed, which allows me a choice between immediately Shell Smashing or taking a hit and being able to outspeed other Pokemon.

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz

One more standard set, with Vivillon having the only ensured status move (i.e. moves intended for status, not as a side effect). The Timid Nature is to outspeed others to put to sleep, as power can me made up in Quiver Dance. Hurricane and Bug Buzz are for STAB and type coverage.

Klinklang @ Air Balloon
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Wild Charge
- Gear Grind
- Facade

The last in the "sweeper series" in my team. Air Balloon to switch into Ground Type attacks and have an opportunity to set up at least 1 Shift Gear. With the Facade boost in Gen 6, it is viable as the Burn no longer lowers the power of it. This gives you an opportunity as there are popular Will-O-Wisp users in the tier such as the 3 Rotoms, 2 which you can retaliate against with this move. Although many of them are indeed Ghost types, you can power through the rest of their team once they are gone. I also believe that HP is more useful over Speed as it can be made up for in Shift Gear.

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Focus Blast

The Assault Vest allows Dragalge to take some hits on the special side, while the potential Scald burn can help it take some hits on the physical side. The coverage on Dragalge is great, while it's special attack stat is usable. The Poison Point is useful from physical hits, as Dragalge is weaker on the physical side while poisoning them as well.

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

As 3 Pokemon on my team rely on Focus Sash to work effectively, especially Vivillon, I require a spinner. Sandslash also works as a physical wall to my Dragalge's special wall, having both walls. As a result of Sandslash, my team can have Stealth Rocks and Knock Off, which has been buffed this gen.

This team allows me to have many switch-ins for each others' weaknesses. I am not much of a team-builder but I would like to see some feedback on this team. Thanks! :]

Hey! Fun looking team, but a few things I'd like to suggest-

I would change Sandslash to Seismitoad to grab a resistance to Feraligatr as it does work to your team. Standard defensive seismitoad would do nicely

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Knock Off

Next I would change Cacturne to Shiftry, as it is the better grass/dark type imo (and is probably agreeable by the NU community as well) along with the fact that your rapid spinner is gone. I feel comfortable switching Setup Cacturne to defogging wall breaker shiftry because you have 3 other setup mons already. Here's the set I'd suggest

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm

Hope I could help! Have fun with your team :]

Hi, your team looks definitely fun but it seems it relies a lot (maybe too much sometimes) on Sandslash spinning to work but i have some changes in mind.
I don't particularly agree with the suggestions above as fixing defensively is not really the best option in an offensive team like yours and Cacturne, Dragalge, and Omastar can check Feraligatr to an extent.

First of all i'd slightly change your Cacturne set with a Sub SD one with Substitute instead of Drain Punch, Leftovers as the item, and Max Speed investment. It has waaay more setup opportunites and is certainly more effective and reliable than the Focus Sash set (that usually aims to set up Spikes btw). I'd also change your Dragalge set to Choice Specs as it gives you a really strong wallbreaker that also weakens Vivillon's counters to possibly allow a sweep. I'd also run 56 Speed evs at least to outspeed uninvested base 50s. You should also run 176 Speed EVs on Klinklang to outspeed Adamant Shiftry (and Feraligator by extension) to hit it hard before the boost.
I'd also like to notice that your team struggles to Spin against teams with Spinblockers because Sandslash struggles to break through them with no attack investment and i'd suggest you to try a more offensive variant with Lum berry as the item to dodge a burn from Spinblockers and 2HKO them.
Also this is a matter of preference but i'd use Hidden Power Grass (and maybe Lum Berry) on Omastar to have a best shot in 1v1 situations against Feraligatr and other Water-types.

Cacturne @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Sandslash @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Both suggestions would work, but I'd saw go with maybe a combination of both. That sandslash set is great because it gets by will-o-wisp spiritomb, 2hkoing with earthquake after rocks. But I'd would go with swords dance shiftry > cacturne. I find it really difficult to justify using cacturne over shiftry at this point, because knockoff is such a powerful move (the answer would be for spikes, but qwilfish and omastar are better anyways). I guess coming in on a predicted feraligatr waterfall, but if it runs ice punch and outspeeds, this extra hp doesnt accomplish much.

Another way to prevent hazards that I think would go with the theme of your team is lead qwilfish>dragalge. Lead qwilfish can taunt to prevent any hazards from going up, can set up spikes to wear down teams to make 2hko's into ohko's, and explode to prevent hazards from being spun (except from cryogonal) (also not sure if explosion would prevent shiftry from defog being successful or not). Using assault vest dragalge really isn't needed for such an offensive team, as using a pivot like it really loses momentum for your team. Specs dragalge would be better than assault vest as it's an excellent wallbreaker, but I think your team would appreciate spikes support.

Little changes, but I would also go with hp grass>earth power on omastar, substitute>wild charge on klinklang (probably also return>facade, as facade with sub is pointless besides for infiltrator spiritomb), the 176 speed for klinklang, and leftovers and substitute>focus sash and bug buzz on vivillon. Bug buzz really doesn't offer any additional coverage, while subbing on a predicted switch out to a sleep fodder poke would be to your advantage. Overall a really fun looking team, nice job and welcome to smogon!

Shiftry @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Qwilfish @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 174 HP / 84 Atk / 252 Spe (2hko's standard rhydon with waterfall)
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes / Waterfall
- Explosion

Reactions: g

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)