Substitute
Toxic
Dragon Tail
Glare
Dragon Pulse
Knock Off
Synthesis

Analysis

After four years of waiting, Serperior is finally excited to see its beloved Dream World ability being confirmed for event release! With Contrary, Leaf Storm essentially becomes a free Nasty Plot with every use and makes the smug snake threatening against any opposing Pokemon that dares to stand against it. Along with having a great base 113 speed and useful options such as Glare, Knock Off, etc, Serperior is a notable Pokemon to be ready against.

Unfortunately there are many problems that plague Serperior. The grass starter is heavily reliant on Leaf Storm boosts in order to accomplish any sweeping, which means that prominent OU resists such as Flying-types like Mega Pinsir and Talonflame and Fire-Types like Heatran and Mega-Charizard X/Y can switch in, resist Serperior's signature Leaf Storm, and can use their STAB moves to immediately threaten the smug snake. Additionally, its offensive movepool is like finding an oasis in a desert, because the only special moves that it can effectively use are Leaf Storm, Giga Drain, Dragon Pulse, and Hidden Power (depending on that Hidden Power, you can still get walled by the appropriate checks/counters).

Pros
  • Contrary Leaf Storm is a Nasty Plot nuke
  • Fearsome self-boosting wall breaker if left unattended
  • Base 113 Speed allows it to outspeed a majority of the metagame outside of Greninja (RIP Smogon Amphibian) and priority
  • Access to Glare allows it to paralyze Mega Sceptile and Ground-type friends
  • Other valid options such as Taunt and Knock Off makes it disruptive towards switch-ins
  • Contrary allows you to switch into Sticky Web and Defog and get some speed/evasion hax and other shenanigans
  • Does not take up a Mega Slot
  • It's Smuglord
Cons
  • Base 75 Sp. Attack is basically tickle damage unless you acquire sufficient Leaf Storm boosts
  • Offensive Movepool is limited to Dragon Pulse and Hidden Power
  • Extremely reliant on Team Support to be effective
  • Pure Grass-type makes it easy for Flying, Steel, and Fire-types to threaten it. Additionally, Grass STAB is resisted by a lot of common types.
  • Leaf Storm has only 8 PP and Serperior becomes significantly weaker once it's depleted
  • Faces competition with Mega Sceptile for a Grass-type attacker, who has better STABs and other offensive options
  • It's not as cool as Marshtomp's stare
Possible Sets
Life Orb Attacker:

Serperior w/ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 16 Def/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 244 Speed
IVs: 29 HP
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power (Fire/Rock/Ground)
- Substitute/Glare/Knock Off/Giga Drain

Using Life Orb, Serperior has the capability to inflict respectable damage to its enemies. Depending on the Hidden Power used, 244/240 Speed allows it to outspeed Thundurus-I. Leaf Storm is the obligatory STAB due to Contrary giving it a +2 with every use. Dragon Pulse is Serperior's secondary attack that allows it to threaten Dragon-type switch-ins that resist Leaf Storm such as Mega Charizard-X and the Lati twins:
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 148-175 (49.8 - 58.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 265-315 (88 - 104.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Because Serperior's offensive movepool is extremely small, the Hidden Power listed determines what Serperior wants to threaten and what enemies can wall it. HP Fire allows Serperior to damage Steel-types such as (Mega) Scizor and Ferrothorn, but turns you into Heatran bait. HP Rock can let Serperior to surprise Mega-Pinsir, Talonflame, Mega-Charizard Y, and other Flying-types, but this leaves you walled by Steel-types. HP Ground gives Serperior the power to muscle through Heatran while holding coverage against other Fire and Steel-types, but you'll be at the mercy of Flying-type terrors. Finally, Serperior's fourth moveset can make use of its versatile support moves. Substitute allows Serperior to avoid crippling status and priority attacks while allowing it to safely fire off Leaf Storms, Glare gives Serperior the ability to paralyze Ground-types, Mega Sceptile, and other threats, and Knock-Off allows the smug snake to cripple potential switch-ins by removing their items. Giga Drain can also be used in conjunction with Leaf Storm boosts to recover Life Orb recoil and maintain longevity.

Bulky Status Attacker:
Serperior w/ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/ 16 Def/ 240 Speed
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare/Toxic
- Leech Seed/Synthesis/Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse/Knock Off/Taunt/Substitute

This set allows Serperior to make use of its decent 75/95/95 bulk along with its high speed to spread status against your opponent. Leaf Storm is Serperior's boosting nuke and is strong against Pokemon that don't resist it. The second slot can alternate between which status you want to spread. Glare allows Serperior to paralyze opposing Pokemon and is notable for being able to hit Ground-types such as Excadrill, Landorus-T, and Garchomp while Toxic can be used to poison walls or set-up sweepers that are willing to switch into the grass serpent. The third slot is your choice of recovery: Leech Seed allows you to passively sap health from enemies, Synthesis provides instant recovery (provided there's no non-sunny weather involved), and Giga Drain can be used in conjunction with Leaf Storm to damage foes and recover health (increasing thanks to Contrary Leaf Storm's +2 boosts). Finally, the last slot is mainly what option you find the most comfortable. Dragon Pulse allows Serperior to gain decent coverage and allows it to hit those that resist its STAB bar Steel and Fairy-types. Knock Off and Taunt provide utility by crippling status-users or those reliant on their items. Finally, Substitute gives Serperior extra protection against status and priority while allowing it to safely spam Leaf Storms.

Dual Screens:
Serperior w/ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP/ 16 Def/ 240 Speed
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Synthesis/Knock Off/Glare

With base 113 speed and respectavle 75/95/95 bulk, Serperior can pull a Dual Screens set while maintaining it's niche with Contrary Leaf Storm attacks. Leaf Storm is Serperior's STAB of choice that grants +2 thanks to its ability and ensure that you're not complete Taunt-bait. Reflect and Light Screen are the stars of this set as each respective screen provides a useful defensive buff for Serperior and its team. The final option is left for preference: Synthesis provides Serperior with longevity and allows it to continue supporting its team with mid-late game Dual Screens. Knock Off is a great tool for crippling switch-ins and Glare gives Serperior paralysis support and stops set-up sweepers and other speedy threats in their tracks.

Other Options
A Choice set can be usable with Scarf/Specs to outspeed faster threats or inflict huge damage from the beginning, but it becomes easy to switch into Serperior and being choice-locked into other moves means that essentially anyone can switch in and force it out or set-up. Additionally, Assault Vest can be used to give Serperior extra Sp. Def bulk and allows it more comfortably switch into Special Attackers and sponge Draco Meteors, but you'll lose out of Serperior's utility, especially Substitute, Taunt, and Glare. Dragon Tail can be used to phaze non-Fairy switch-ins and rack up hazard damage. Taunt is also usable for stopping healing, incoming status afflictions, or set-up hazard/boosting shenanigans, such as Chansey, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Unaware Clefable.

Team Options
Serperior appreciates entry hazards such as Stealth Rock to weaken switch-ins, especially its Flying-type enemies. Fast or bulky VoltTurn users such as Rotom-W, Landorus-T, Scizor, Mega Manectric, etc. can give Serperior additional options to safely switch in and wreck havoc. Rotom-W is also notable for covering the grass serpent's exploitable weaknesses thanks to its typing. Additionally, Trappers such as Dugtrio and Magnezone are appreciated because they can remove Steel-types and grounded foes that stand in Serperior's way.

Checks and Counters
Basically, those that can cushion Serperior's Leaf Storms and have forms of power or priority can immediately KO, threaten, or severally damage it back. Flying and Fire-types such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Pinsir can 4x resist its STAB and can KO back with their own STAB moves. Although it must watch out for HP Ground, Heatran resists all of Serperior's other offensive options and can threaten it back with Fire Blast or Lava Plume respectively (Scarftran can outspeed and eliminate Serperior before it can act). If Heatran is Specially Defensive, +2 HP Ground fails to even KO. Thundurus-I and Klefki can switch in and cripple non-Substitute Serperiors with priority Thunder Wave (Thundurus can also cripple Serperior's status options with its own priority Taunt), ruining its offensive potential. With its impressive bulk, Mega Altaria can switch into Serperior, set up Dragon Dances, and can even use refresh to remove paralysis, but the cotton bird must be wary of repeated Leaf Storms. Additionally due to its reliance on Hidden Power, Serperior can get walled by a varying set of Pokemon that resist its attacks. Finally, status-afflicting moves such as Thunder-Wave and Toxic can severally limit Serperior and thus it must always be on the look-out for them.

This is my first real Pokemon-forum related post on Smogon and I would appreciate any responses, new ideas, and other helpful suggestions. Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:
Was this approved by any of the mods?

Anyway, despite the great ability, the problem I see with Serperior is its movepool being hilariously bland, and its coverage options, even at +2 don't do much damage to anything.

Also, it's not going to be very good with a choice item. At all. Being locked in to a move not named Leaf Storm (and even then Heatran, Skarmory, Mega Charizard XY and Dragonite and many more quad resists will wall you) will put you in a terrible position. 75 SpA unboosted and non-STAB does absolutely zero in OU.

Welcome to Smogon.

HP rock should be given a mention. It hits T-flame, thundurus, and charizard in particular. HP ice I don't see too much use for other than dragonite since leaf storm will be doing plenty to lando and gliscor..

While yes serperior is a weak pokemon.. the fact it gets a very strong STAB, a large boost after every hit, pretty darn good base speed.. serperior is actually fairly threatening. It's going to be down to the coverage.. the hidden power is a huge gamble.. fire hits this, ground hits that, ice hits this and rock hits that etc etc.. Honestly, I think mega sceptile might have competition with serperior since serperior has the ability to wear scarf and boost stats while having nearly as much coverage.

and yes, it's offical that serperior is getting contrary now.

Last edited:
Was this approved by any of the mods?
Ehh... I actually jumped head first and posted, so I didn't know that the mods need consent beforehand. I apologize and if the mods say something, I'll take responsibility.

EDIT: It's approved :D

Anyway, despite the great ability, the problem I see with Serperior is its movepool being hilariously bland, and its coverage options, even at +2 don't do much damage to anything.

Also, it's not going to be very good with a choice item. At all. Being locked in to a move not named Leaf Storm (and even then Heatran, Skarmory, Mega Charizard XY and Dragonite and many more quad resists will wall you) will put you in a terrible position. 75 SpA unboosted and non-STAB does absolutely zero in OU.
That is true... I can see that being a huge flaw in the choice set. I'll put into consideration the team support it needs to make it effective. Will update whatever I can tomorrow.

Welcome to Smogon.
It's a pleasure to meet you too!

HP rock should be given a mention. It hits T-flame, thundurus, and charizard in particular. HP ice I don't see too much use for other than dragonite since leaf storm will be doing plenty to lando and gliscor..

While yes serperior is a weak pokemon.. the fact it gets a very strong STAB, a large boost after every hit, pretty darn good base speed.. serperior is actually fairly threatening. It's going to be down to the coverage.. the hidden power is a huge gamble.. fire hits this, ground hits that, ice hits this and rock hits that etc etc.. Honestly, I think mega sceptile might have competition with serperior since serperior has the ability to wear scarf and boost stats while having nearly as much coverage.
Alrighty! As mentioned above, I will update the OP tomorrow when I have time.

Last edited:
I really think the Choice set should be replaced with a Life Orb set:

Serperior @ Life Orb
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Rock] / Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute

Speed to outspeed Thundurus and Substitute because most opponents probably doesn't want to give you a free Leaf Storm boost, so (if they have one) they will try to send in a pokemon to die to hazards.
It also should be relatively easy to get up a Sub against a Pokemon which is weak to Leaf Storm, can't hit you (Rotom-W!) or something your opponent needs thanks to Serperior's great speed.
If you get one up, you're also safe against a priority Quick Attack from M-Pinsir or Brave Bird from Talonflame and can smack them with a HP Rock (or Dragon Pulse:
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 183-216 (67.5 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock).
With the Hidden Power it's basically pick your poison like RoyalDispenser said.
If you pick HP Rock you get destroyed by Metagross, Jirachi or Heatran and if pick HP Ground you get destroyed by Talonflame, Pinsir or Zard-Y although a Dpulse will hurt them at +2:
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 148-175 (49.8 - 58.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

One minor thing, I don't think the Lati's should be mentioned as Check & Counters, since Serperior's only hope for coverage is Dragon Pulse and it can kill at +2:
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 265-315 (88 - 104.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Edit: Welcome to Smogon!
Edit 2: Also HP Fire could be slashed to hit (M)-Scizor and Ferrothorn

Last edited:

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Glare and not costing a Mega slot are going to be the key factors that keep Serperior relevant in OU over M-Sceptile even with Contrary. It's easy point to Talonflame as a check but, if Serperior forces a switch (like M-Slowbro & Keldeo for starters), nothing but Zapdos wants to come in on a Glare with the threat of a Leaf Storm. It's unique as long as it has Glare; Contrary Leaf Storm with a status option is nothing to scoff at. But still, 113 Speed isn't what it used to be back in the days of Dream World OU so, while it's hard to check with Glare, it's fairly easy to revenge if it does get going.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I see Dugtrio being an excellent partner to Serperior. After all, Heatran and Chansey are pretty much the 2 best switch ins to it, and Dugtrio can trap both of these fairy well.

Also HP Fire is the only hidden power that should really be used on Serperior imo. Being walled by Ferrothorn and other steel types is a pretty bad idea. I guess you could run HP Ground to lure Heatran but eh, that's only one target, HP Fire also hits Scizor and has overall better coverage. HP Rock Serperior is just bad and makes for a poor wallbreaker.

You're gonna have to be very careful in picking your hidden power with this thing, and build the rest of your team to cover what you can't hit. Despite that, I don't see this thing not being a threat one way or another.

Definitely excited to see it released at long last, I'll gonna be using Wonder Trade a lot to try and get one.

Unfortunately even with Contrary Serprior isn't that good since grass is the most resisted type in the game, especially in OU where 4x resistances are extremely common.

Glare and not costing a Mega slot are going to be the key factors that keep Serperior relevant in OU over M-Sceptile even with Contrary. It's easy point to Talonflame as a check but, if Serperior forces a switch (like M-Slowbro & Keldeo for starters), nothing but Zapdos wants to come in on a Glare with the threat of a Leaf Storm. It's unique as long as it has Glare; Contrary Leaf Storm with a status option is nothing to scoff at. But still, 113 Speed isn't what it used to be back in the days of Dream World OU so, while it's hard to check with Glare, it's fairly easy to revenge if it does get going.
A non-powder(so it can hit Grass) and not Electric(so it can hit ground and Electric-absorbing pokes like Sceptile) paralysis is nice, true, and Serperior can, sadly, EASILY find room for it on its moveset, so that's probably one of the better things it has going for it. That said, I'd still be really worried about fielding it, since some things don't care overly much about the speed loss which would still give it trouble. I guess there's always "hax" to hope for.

It's cool to finally have Contrary Serperior (now how about Sheer Force Feraligatr Nintendo :P).
Yet somehow it doesn't seem as promising now as it did when we were speculating about it generations ago.
Base 75 SpA is rather mediocre so it shouldn't pretend to be an offensive powerhouse.
I think it should use its support options to give itself more chances to attack.
Glare is nice as is a speedy Taunt. I can see Taunt + Leaf Storm causing trouble for walls.
(Hmm...Serperior can't Taunt MegaSableye but Sableye can't stop Leaf Storm boosts either while Serperior is not nerfed offensively by burn. I wonder who would win.)

Edit:
Probably: Substitute/Taunt | Glare/Recovery | Leaf Storm |HP Rock/we
I'm thinking Taunt and Recovery [Giga Drain/Leech Seed/Synthesis] would be better against slower/stall teams.
I give up on coverage against offense. Paralyze what you can't handle and leave it to the team.

Last edited:
It's a shame we've been waiting so long for something that won't make it too fantastic. I mean, it will be the single best user of Contrary, and unlike Malamar it'll at least be viable, but with Talonflame and Mega Pinsir everywhere, it's going to be hard to let it stand out. At least it outspeeds M-Pinsir, and I think it can live a Quick Attack at full health (calcs would be lovely here.), but this means it would have to run some weird Hidden Power like HP Rock, which is only used to hit those two (and maybe Zard.) It'll be decently scary if it ends up getting a boost, but it's dead weight before that.
Actually, now that I think about it, Glare can paralyze Mega Sceptile, can't it? This makes it the only real viable Pokemon that can Paralyze it. That might be pretty cool.

Edit: lol at this post because lol

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's actually harder hitting than Mega Sceptile when you think about it from a practical standpoint. The amazing thing about Serperior is that it gets a 130 BP move that not only doesn't have a drawback, it actually has an insane benefit in giving it a +2 boost. So in terms of cleaning potential, Serperior is actually better in all areas aside from Speed, which admittedly is a big one. Anyway here are the calcs that I believe are relevant:

252 SpA Mega Sceptile Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 133-157 (39 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 192-227 (56.3 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's a pretty big difference, and it only gets harder and harder to switch into with every Leaf Storm. Now you might be asking why I compared Giga Drain to Leaf storm, obviously the latter will hit harder. Well the reason is that in comparing their roles as offensive cleaners, Giga Drain is the only move Sceptile CAN use. If it uses Leaf Storm, it is forced to switch out. That immediately rules out the ability to clean with it. The same cannot be said for Serperior, which actually gets stronger as it uses Leaf Storm. In fact, and this is just gold. Even without Knock Off, Serperior beats Chansey if Chansey switches in on a Leaf Storm. It can't Softboiled stall it because at +6 Leaf Storm is doing about 75%. And you say this thing isn't a wall breaker.

I've wanted this since I found out it was the hidden ability. I think it will be decent, not great but decent. Regardless, I'm building a team with it asap.

At least it outspeeds M-Pinsir, and I think it can live a Quick Attack at full health (calcs would be lovely here.)
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 204-242 (57.6 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 204-242 (69.8 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

At +2, these are of course guaranteed kills.

0 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 152-180 (56 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 204-240 (75.2 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

These are both guaranteed kills after either one Leaf Storm or Stealth Rock.

Serperior doesn't need to run max speed though, right? Base 113 can get by without max investment and still outspeed the base 110s and Thundurus. Scolipede is base 112 but doesn't usually run Jolly last I checked? Plus with speed boost that's a non-entity anyway, haha. And how often are you gonna speed tie with other Serperior. So that's 240* EVs and a beneficial nature rather than 252.

Serperior really wants to make the most out of its stats so if we can shave some points here and there we really should.

EDIT: 244 EVs if using Hidden Power Fire/Rock, thanks Berry Juice!

Last edited:
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 204-242 (57.6 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 204-242 (69.8 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

At +2, these are of course guaranteed kills.

0 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 152-180 (56 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 204-240 (75.2 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

These are both guaranteed kills after either one Leaf Storm or Stealth Rock.
You're not factoring in the Life Orb.

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 265-312 (97.7 - 115.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

So Serperior can potentially beat Mega Pinsir, although it relies on how the game is played.

Serperior doesn't need to run max speed though, right? Base 113 can get by without max investment and still outspeed the base 110s and Thundurus. Scolipede is base 112 but doesn't usually run Jolly last I checked? Plus with speed boost that's a non-entity anyway, haha. And how often are you gonna speed tie with other Serperior. So that's 240 EVs and a beneficial nature rather than 252.

Serperior really wants to make the most out of its stats so if we can shave some points here and there we really should.
Something to note is that HP Fire/Ice/Rock all require a 30 Speed IV, so Serperior needs 244 Speed EVs if it's using one of these Hidden Powers.

I think I want this guy to be better than he actually is.

I think he will be viable and potentially dangerous but you have to build your team to support him.

Serperior @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Glare

--> Utility, Power and Speed ?

Something to note is that HP Fire/Ice/Rock all require a 30 Speed IV, so Serperior needs 244 Speed EVs if it's using one of these Hidden Powers.
Actually, you can have HP Ice with perfect speed... something I wish I'd realised before I bred my HP Ice Alakazam :( Stupid Psypokes and their "highest IV combination" HP list. But thanks all the same for the info!

244 Speed if Hidden Power Fire/Rock, 240 otherwise. Best to dump the excess into HP for now until specific survival calcs are run.

Well he's not going to be any sort of Greninja, but I can see him being very dangerous if he comes in at the right time. Switching out means whatever faces him next is going to be facing a +2 Serperior after tanking a Leaf Storm.

Would be awesome if GF had given him Draco Meteor, but I can at least be happy my favorite starter is getting something that will make him a lot more viable.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
It's actually harder hitting than Mega Sceptile when you think about it from a practical standpoint. The amazing thing about Serperior is that it gets a 130 BP move that not only doesn't have a drawback, it actually has an insane benefit in giving it a +2 boost. So in terms of cleaning potential, Serperior is actually better in all areas aside from Speed, which admittedly is a big one. Anyway here are the calcs that I believe are relevant:

252 SpA Mega Sceptile Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 133-157 (39 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 192-227 (56.3 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's a pretty big difference, and it only gets harder and harder to switch into with every Leaf Storm. Now you might be asking why I compared Giga Drain to Leaf storm, obviously the latter will hit harder. Well the reason is that in comparing their roles as offensive cleaners, Giga Drain is the only move Sceptile CAN use. If it uses Leaf Storm, it is forced to switch out. That immediately rules out the ability to clean with it. The same cannot be said for Serperior, which actually gets stronger as it uses Leaf Storm. In fact, and this is just gold. Even without Knock Off, Serperior beats Chansey if Chansey switches in on a Leaf Storm. It can't Softboiled stall it because at +6 Leaf Storm is doing about 75%. And you say this thing isn't a wall breaker.

I've wanted this since I found out it was the hidden ability. I think it will be decent, not great but decent. Regardless, I'm building a team with it asap.
There's always Energy Ball if you want a stronger grass-type special move that doesn't drop your SpA. 90BP compared to giga drain's 75.

is HP rock really worth it over fire.

I know it hits talonflame and pinsir, but most likely Serperior will switch out against both of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)