Metagame Shared Power [Under Re-Construction!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The metagame is looking a lot more stable, and I'd like to share a set I've been toying with!

Klinklang @ Focus Sash
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge
- Return
- Shift Gear

Klinklang is a surprisingly good Pokemon in this metagame, and takes advantages of common abilities like Adaptability, Tough Claws, and even the lesser used Technician and Steelworker. On top of this, Klinklang offers protection from Intimidate and Sticky Web alike by not letting them lower your Attack and Speed respectively. Shift Gear breaks Focus Sash thanks to being a multi-hit move, and combines with offensive abilities to be extremely strong. Shift Gear setup is pretty easy, as you have a Focus Sash to allow you to live any one attack before doing so. After a Shift Gear, Klinklang becomes a lot harder to stop, and although it has a plethora of walls in the metagame, it can still threaten the very common offensive archetypes on the ladder right now.

if you have filter + solid rock + prism armor does that make super effective moves do less damage than neutral moves ? and what about double weaknesses ?

I currently use this Team (and would like to run an offensive Team) with the last slot being open:

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- X-Scissor
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Barbaracle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Return

My problem is, I get swept by Teams with Blaziken + Hustle + No Guard + Adaptability + Tough Claws + Tsareena. Do you have any idea for the last slot so that I can deal with Blaziken while also having an offensive Mon (remember that Sashes don't do anything due to Double Kick). Thanks in advance.

I currently use this Team (and would like to run an offensive Team) with the last slot being open:

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- X-Scissor
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Barbaracle @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Return

My problem is, I get swept by Teams with Blaziken + Hustle + No Guard + Adaptability + Tough Claws + Tsareena. Do you have any idea for the last slot so that I can deal with Blaziken while also having an offensive Mon (remember that Sashes don't do anything due to Double Kick). Thanks in advance.
What about switching lele's scarf for a sash? lele can tank a double kick, and scarf espeon can help you to keep hazzards away and provides you speed control.

Another possibility is switch kartana for sash/scarf blacephalon, who can beat blaziken and spinblock, but he woudnt sinergize very well with the tean.

One last alternative is use sash moxie gyarados/mence. They resist blaziken dual stab and provide a good offensive ability to your team, but you would rely on hazzard control to effectively check blaziken, because of the coverage move he could carry. Also, moxie would be useless vs unawere teams.

Unburden hawlucha is a last resort check, but he doesnt seem reliable.

looking for feedback on this team a made based around klinklang

Klinklang @ Focus Sash
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge
- Return
- Shift Gear

Dhelmise @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Shadow Claw
- Power Whip
- Anchor Shot

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 204 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Lycanium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Accelerock

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

if you have filter + solid rock + prism armor does that make super effective moves do less damage than neutral moves ? and what about double weaknesses ?
Yes, that combination weakens the power of super effective moves by 58%, making them deal less damage than than neutral moves. For double weaknesses it's the same reduction, making them deal 1.69x the damage of a neutral move instead of 4x.

Something I want to talk about as far as tiering goes is the amount of bans that we’ve done this month. I understand it may seem like a lot, but the purpose of heavily tiering this metagame was to make it as optimally playable as possible in a short amount of time. SP is a much harder metagame to tier than most OMs, so we had to make due with what little time we had. Now that the metagame is stable and playable, there still are a few things that we should look at.

Cursed in standard tiers with an abysmal Speed stat, Pangoro fixes its problems in Shared Power thanks to two things- Triage and Mold Breaker. Triage allows Pangoro to boosts its Drain Punch’s priority by 3, making its low Speed a non-issue. Normally, Triage users are checked by the likes of Bruxish and Tsareena, but in Pangoro’s case, it can simply tear past them with its Mold Breaker. Triage may be the inherent problem with Pangoro, but I believe if one were to get out, it’d be Pangoro. An alternative Mold Breaker user that also has priority healing is Hawlucha, but Hawlucha does not pack nearly as much punch as Pangoro. With the appropriate abilities, Pangoro has the power to OHKO certain resisted targets with just Drain Punch. I think Pangoro may be worth looking at in this metagame and not Triage. Moving on below:

Serene Grace has proven to be quite an “annoying” strategy among Shared Power teams. Serene Grace stacks with Stench and King’s Rock, and on top of being given to all 6 teammates, makes attackers like Weavile and Sand Rush Excadrill especially difficult to take down. It’s rather unclear to me just how viable it actually is, but in hindsight, it does appear a little dumb to be able to spam Iron Head or Beat Up and not get punished for it in most cases. I will digress that I have not encountered much of these teams on ladder to have a concrete opinion on whether I want this banned or not, but I am inviting discussion for now. What do you guys think?

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Pangoro teams lose not only once to Lele in the form of psychic terrain, but also due to Magic Bounce Espeon bouncing any attempt to install entry hazards and disable opposing sashes. They seem just about untenable with the current state of the metagame (that lele + espeon core and sash spam).
On the other hand Serene Grace seems prevalent enough that people are running things like Stamina, shield dust, inner focus dragonite (lol), effect spore, rough skin, etc. to curtail any physical attacks, particularly flinch abuse. Beat Up bypasses a lot of these but doesn't appreciate Stamina, but even then, the classic Unaware addition of yore works in Weavile's favor.
I don't think either of these are particularly problematic enough to remove, tbh.

The opponent had Filter, Prism Armor, and Solid Rock, which stack to lower the power of incoming super effective attacks by 58%. The opponent also had Grassy Terrain, which lowers the power of Earthquake by 50%.
That's not the opponent, that's him documenting this strategy, lol.

Serene Grace may not be broken, but it's uncompetitive. It also makes the meta more match up based, because Serene Grace teams usually lose to Defensive/Stamina teams and specially Prankster Defensive Set-Up teams, while being able to win against Offensive teams that abuse Sash, for example. While Serene Grace may not be amazing as your main ability (and thus it's not highly used in AAA, BH, etc.), having it can be extremely useful and help you win matches you wouldn't usually. I don't think SG brings anything good to the meta, so I wouldn't mind it being banned.

Something I want to talk about as far as tiering goes is the amount of bans that we’ve done this month. I understand it may seem like a lot, but the purpose of heavily tiering this metagame was to make it as optimally playable as possible in a short amount of time. SP is a much harder metagame to tier than most OMs, so we had to make due with what little time we had. Now that the metagame is stable and playable, there still are a few things that we should look at.

Cursed in standard tiers with an abysmal Speed stat, Pangoro fixes its problems in Shared Power thanks to two things- Triage and Mold Breaker. Triage allows Pangoro to boosts its Drain Punch’s priority by 3, making its low Speed a non-issue. Normally, Triage users are checked by the likes of Bruxish and Tsareena, but in Pangoro’s case, it can simply tear past them with its Mold Breaker. Triage may be the inherent problem with Pangoro, but I believe if one were to get out, it’d be Pangoro. An alternative Mold Breaker user that also has priority healing is Hawlucha, but Hawlucha does not pack nearly as much punch as Pangoro. With the appropriate abilities, Pangoro has the power to OHKO certain resisted targets with just Drain Punch. I think Pangoro may be worth looking at in this metagame and not Triage. Moving on below:

Serene Grace has proven to be quite an “annoying” strategy among Shared Power teams. Serene Grace stacks with Stench and King’s Rock, and on top of being given to all 6 teammates, makes attackers like Weavile and Sand Rush Excadrill especially difficult to take down. It’s rather unclear to me just how viable it actually is, but in hindsight, it does appear a little dumb to be able to spam Iron Head or Beat Up and not get punished for it in most cases. I will digress that I have not encountered much of these teams on ladder to have a concrete opinion on whether I want this banned or not, but I am inviting discussion for now. What do you guys think?
I agree with the post. If we do decide that triage is too good, then the mon to ban is Pangoro rather than Triage. It has made Lele the best anti priority mon, and almost mandatory on offense. As for Serene Grace, I don't believe it is broken but it is annoying. I played a couple games against it where I got flinched to death, but I could have won had the odds been in my favor. It's not a consistent nor broken strategy, but it doesn't take any skill whatsoever either, and is completely unfun to play against or with. So honestly it's all up to your interpretation of the definition of uncompetitive. However, I would like to point out that I am pretty sure that Serene Grace does not stack with King's Rock but only with Stench. If you used Iron Head with Serene Grace and a King's Rock, King's Rock would not apply because the attack already had a chance to flinch, and it would be a 60% chance. The same goes with a flinching move + Stench. However, if you used Bullet Seed with King's Rock each hit would have a 10% chance to flinch. Serene Grace would not change that. However, if you used Bullet Seed with Stench it would have the same chance, but with Serene Grace it would become a 20% chance per hit. And Stench does not stack with King's Rock.

I don't agree with those bans, I beated a Pangoro with Guts + Triage + Mold Breaker recently with a Sash Nidoking with Sheer Force. They rely too much on Drain Punch. Adamant Pangoro needs 4 Drain Punches or 3 Bullet Punches to KO a Tapu Koko without EVs. And there are mons like Crobat or Togekiss with a x4 resistance to Fighting who can OHKO Pangoro with a single attack. Besides, doesn't Psychic Terrain stop Pangoro's Drain Punch cold?

I agree that Jirachi is annoying but if you ban it people will just use another Serene Grace mon, and not everyone uses it to flinch, it can also be used to increase the chances to burn with Scald or to lower SpD with Shadow Ball, for example. Perhaps what you *could* ban would be Serene Grace + flinch.

Finally, I'd like to ask this to you since you're the one in charge: how do Friend Guard, Plus, Minus, Battery and Healer work in this meta? Also, I'd like to point out that Trace is not shared and that combinations like Aerilate + Gale Wings are not possible in this meta, probably because Gale Wings checks the move type before Aerilate takes effect.

Do Friend Guard, Plus, Minus & Healer work in this meta?
Those abilities all affect partner Pokémon, meaning they are absolutely useless in any and every singles format, including this one. Their effects can only work in doubles formats (and triples in gens 5 and 6)

I have been using this team recently and have had success it is swept by scarf kart and triage Pangoro teams any suggestions on how to improve it

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Accelerock
- Drill Run
- Crunch

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Defog

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Ice Shard

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Defog
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

The focus is just to get Kyurem-black out and click return get a kill and start to sweep

I have been using this team recently and have had success it is swept by scarf kart and triage Pangoro teams any suggestions on how to improve it

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Accelerock
- Drill Run
- Crunch

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Defog

Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Ice Shard

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Defog
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

The focus is just to get Kyurem-black out and click return get a kill and start to sweep
give max speed to kyurem give it choice band and give it 316 att 317 speed
also do you need lycanroc? i find sash porygon-z better because it beats doublade

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Accelerock
- Drill Run
- Crunch

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Defog

Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Ice Shard

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Defog
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

Sweeping is no longer viable since sash spam is meta btw.

Sweeping is no longer viable since sash spam is meta btw.
Mold Breaker Excadrill. Sets up Rocks and prevents them at the same time. Blaziken is also an option, since Double Kick breaks through any Sash (Scrappy on top of that is appreciated).

Regarding Pangoro:
Checks like Nidoking or Blacephalon work; but you'll need two of them. Note that not every fighting resist will do, since some can be ohkoed.

Code:
With Tough Claws - Adaptability - Hustle. No item because I assume Pangoro runs Focus Sash:
252+ Atk Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 209-247 (68.9 - 81.5%)
252+ Atk Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 194-229 (69 - 81.4%)
252+ Atk Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Beedrill-Mega: 172-201 (63.4 - 74.1%)
252+ Atk Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 203-239 (65.2 - 76.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bruxish: 226-266 (81.5 - 96%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
If Focus Sash Pangoro fails to ohko after rocks, it can use its sash to set up a swords dance and sweep despite fighting resists.

If Pangoro's sash is broken by rocks on its own side (or if the opponent also has an intact sash), it can still use drain punch to heal itself and tank the return hit, then drain punch again to kill.

---

Regarding Serene Grace:
Because Magic Guard Bounce exists, stealth rocks can't reliably be used as a counter to focus sash. Some situational options like a rock setter with Mold Breaker or sandstorm / hail damage exist, but aren't available to every team.

This is the reason why flinch and multihit-strategies are common.

I'll note that flinching is mostly relevant to the fast-offense vs. slow-offense matchup. Defensive teams usually carry priority healing, which completely avoids it.

Finally, there seems to be some uncertainty as to how stench, king's rock and serene grace interact. I believe it works like this:
- Stench gives a 10% chance to flinch to any more that does not have a flinch chance
- King's Rock gives a 10% chance to flinch to any more that does not have a flinch chance. Since stench already provides one, this does not happen
- Serene grace doubles the 10% flinch chance from Stench to 20%
- beat up hits 6 times with a 20% chance to flinch on every hit. The total chance to flinch is 1 - (0.8)^6 = 0.737855999999999, so approximately 74%. A good upgrade on Serene Grace iron head, but not that close to 100% either.

Last edited:
Regarding Pangoro:
Checks like Nidoking or Blacephalon work; but you'll need two of them. Note that not every fighting resist will do, since some can be ohkoed.

Code:
With Tough Claws - Adaptability - Hustle. No item because I assume Pangoro runs Focus Sash:
252+ Atk Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 209-247 (68.9 - 81.5%)
252+ Atk Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 194-229 (69 - 81.4%)
252+ Atk Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Beedrill-Mega: 172-201 (63.4 - 74.1%)
252+ Atk Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 203-239 (65.2 - 76.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Pangoro Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bruxish: 226-266 (81.5 - 96%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
If Focus Sash Pangoro fails to ohko after rocks, it can use its sash to set up a swords dance and sweep despite fighting resists.

If Pangoro's sash is broken by rocks on its own side (or if the opponent also has an intact sash), it can still use drain punch to heal itself and tank the return hit, then drain punch again to kill.

---

Regarding Serene Grace:
Because Magic Guard exists, stealth rocks can't reliably be used as a counter to focus sash. Some situational options like a rock setter with Mold Breaker or sandstorm / hail damage exist, but aren't available to every team.

This is the reason why flinch and multihit-strategies are common.

I'll note that flinching is mostly relevant to the fast-offense vs. slow-offense matchup. Defensive teams usually carry priority healing, which completely avoids it.

Finally, there seems to be some uncertainty as to how stench, king's rock and serene grace interact. I believe it works like this:
- Stench gives a 10% chance to flinch to any more that does not have a flinch chance
- King's Rock gives a 10% chance to flinch to any more that does not have a flinch chance. Since stench already provides one, this does not happen
- Serene grace doubles the 10% flinch chance from Stench to 20%
- beat up hits 6 times with a 20% chance to flinch on every hit. The total chance to flinch is 1 - (0.8)^6 = 0.737855999999999, so approximately 74%. A good upgrade on Serene Grace iron head, but not that close to 100% either.
The statement about Mold Breaker Rock setter is not correct. I am in the 1500s right now and literally every team runs either Mold Breaker Exca or M-Pinsir (with MB pre-Mega). It is really easy to fit on any team and not niche at all, since it doesn't even prevent your other Mons from working properly. On a side note, it is quite common to run Lele and THAT is actually the main reason Pangoro Teams don't work so well. You basically HAVE to run something on the side like Fini/ Bulu/ Koko, but I have not seen many of them together with Pangoro yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)