ORAS OU Sharpedo's Vengeance ( Peak #25 on Ladder)

Hey guys, its been a while since I posted a RMT, but I figure now is a perfect time while we are all still getting used to the changing meta. Just a quick note on how I made this team:

First, I started with sharpedo I went with a very standard set because its the most effective imo, then I realized that against any sort of stall team sharpedo was going to need help, and alot of it, so that lead me to stallbreaking talonflame. From there on I realized I had weaknesses to things like azumarill, rotom-w, lando-t, bulky waters, so I engineered a new garchomp set that hasnt seen any action in quite some time, to help me deal with some pesky mons. Next came Porygon2 this is my catch all pokemon, or the glue, if you will. I mainly put on p2 because I needed help with greninja and salamence, but it performs many more roles(including reverse trapping magnezone). Then I needed defog and a better keldeo check, so there went latios, and finally I needed a nice secondary win condition against trickier balance teams so clefable made the cut.

The main idea for the rest of the team is to be unconventional in order to wear down and lure in mons in order to get the necessary damage for sharpedo to sweep. I have had great success with this team, peaking on the around top 25, only to go down to some unfortunate circumstances/hax I couldnt play around. Additionally I have won a few OU room tournaments on PS, but yeah this is just something I want to share because once salamence and greninja get banned, I think I will need to change some things up, but until then here we go.

--->>>

Sharpedo @ Sharpedite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

So here is the deal, Sharpedo is not the best mega, its not even in the top 5. But that doesnt stop this team from destroying everything in site. Sharpedo completely destroys offensive teams with little support and still puts in alot of work against balance, it just requires more support. There is not much to talk about as far as the set goes because ice fang is the only optional move maybe to be replaced by hp fire, or poison jab. But I like ice fang at the moment to help with salamence.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Talonflame is sooo perfect with sharpedo, because if we are facing an offensive team he can help wear down rotom-w by using willo/roost to get him down to about 50% which is in range of sharpedo's crunch. But his main job is when I realize the team I am facing is a stall team, the goal is basically to stallbreak, this set beats like every stall mon you can think of, especially since charx isnt common at all anymore. The only problem is mega sableye but that why i have clefable so yeah.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

This is my physical wall/suicide lead depending on what team I am facing, it is supposed to help get rid of these pokemon
Lando-t- A very common lead and it will either be scarfed, and usually u-turn out while I get up rocks and take about 30% of his health with the rocky skin damage, or he is the sr bulky set and he gets toxiced and I get my rocks up, and he usually will still u-turn out taking the damage. Since scarf is most common, every single time it comes in he will either get locked into earthquake, which can be taken advantage of, or he is taking a bunch of damage.

Azumarill- This garchomp set beats azu 1v1 Here is a calc:
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 266-314 (63.3 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Garchomp eats this attack up then eqs it for the kill in combination with the rocky damage

Rotom-w- gets toxicd and widdled down in conjunction with the toxic damage, protect stalling, and stealth rocks damage, and this is perfect because rotom only needs to be at 50% for sharpedo to take him out, not to mention sharpedo also has protect to get another toxic turn in.

Lopunny (mega)- This is my personal favorite, because it will usually fake out then ice punch in order to prevent rocks, but in actuality it can live ice punch EVERYTIME even after fake out, so you can choose to either get up rocks or just kill the lopunny and try and get rocks up later.
252+ Atk Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 280-332 (66.6 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(This is obviously with the attack boost mega gets)

Metagross(mega)- Another mon that may think it has the coverage move to OHKO garchomp only to get destroyed after the ice punch and killed with earthquake.
252+ Atk Metagross Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 292-344 (69.5 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(also with attack raise)

It is mainly just a surprising mon that helps widdle down mons that could hinder my sweep. You seriously have no idea how bulky this thing is as it basically takes on any physcial attacker that doesnt have a stab SE Ice move.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Recover

P2 forms a nice core with garchomp as this thing can take on just about anything, mainly greninja salamence, latis, gardevoir, basically anything that takes out garchomp. I cant even tell you how versatile this thing is because it honestly is still surprising me with its ability trace. It switches in on greninja and now has protean and is a serious threat, gliscor? say hello to poison heal p2(which is unkillable btw), heatran? flash fire, perhaps the best of all is when it traces magnezones magnet lock, because I will commonly lure them in by setting up with clefable one CM, then switching to p2 and slowly killing them/stalling them out. Honestly this thing can even beat some variants of keldeo, long story short p2 is a God.
P2 eating shit up:
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 152 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 165-195 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 152 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 121-144 (32.3 - 38.5%) -- 97.4% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 139-165 (37.1 - 44.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
-1 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 93-111 (24.8 - 29.6%) -- 0.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock(Mega Salamence)
232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 152 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 135-160 (36 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 154-183 (41.1 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 152 SpD Eviolite Porygon2 in Sun: 187-222 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(this does alot, but cmon)
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 246-290 (65.7 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable is my back up plan, and just an overall fantastic win condition. Mons like mega sableye give me alot of trouble otherwise. Stored Power lets me beat other clefable and basically all other Calm minders that think they can keep up with clefable. It has clutched me many games when my other members get haxed, or just fall short. It also serves as an additional switchin to rotom-w, latios, and can setup on a good amount of mons in the tier.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Psyshock

Pretty basic, I just needed a keldeo check and a defogger. Hp fire is for ferrothorn and other steels because I dont have any fire type moves on this team. And what is a succesful team without a S rank mon right? But seriously this guy honestly doesnt do much, because sometimes I dont even need to defog and can just fire off some strong stabs.

I really just want you guys to try out this team, because its the first one Ive made by myslef in a while as I usually build with friends, and it is seriously a blast to use because its not just a bunch of overpowered boring mons on one team. So let me know what you guys think, Ill try and manage this very actively. Thanks for reading!

Import:
Sharpedo @ Sharpedite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Recover

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock

Replays:

Last edited:
Hey there! You've got a good looking team! Though there are a few things I'd like to point out.

For one, Thundurus-I kinda shits on your team, bar Porygon2. He can paralyze anything on there and handle anything else w/ HP Ice or Thunderbolt, etc. Porygon2 can take any hit bar Focus Blast; Focus Blast is a solid 2HKO.

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 148 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 200-237 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

After rocks damage, it can 2HKO w/ a combination of Focus Blast and Thunderbolt (assuming I did my math correctly).

I don't wanna change any of your mons since they're all pretty solid imo, I'll just suggest this: change Clef's EV spread to 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD. This can be used either with a Bold nature or a Calm nature; a Calm nature allows you to always avoid the 2HKO from Thundy's T-bolt while a Bold nature increases your Def a bit more but Thundy's T-bolt will have slim chance of 2HKOing (9.8% chance). That choice is up to you. Also, with this spread, you're still a check to Latios and Rotom-W as well. Now onto a minor nitpick...

For one, move Latios' HP EV to Def or SpD and change his IVs to 29; he'll take less Life Orb damage that way. Eh, that's all I can think of atm, so...yeah. Bai!

Galom

Banned deucer.
Hey MegaScizor, interesting team! I played around with it in the ~1550 rating range and had mixed results. I have a couple suggestions and a couple things to point out, but you have a rather solid team overall here. Pretty good work. In the five games I played, I went 3-2. Not bad for a ladder infested with Uber-esque Mega Salamence.

On Garchomp, I recommend you remove Toxic and Protect in favor of, well, anything else you want, to be honest. In the five or so games I played with your team, I found practically no use for the two moves, even when I faced some of the specific counters you listed. Overall, I just don't feel that these are very effective moves on Garchomp; he just doesn't use them very well.

On Clefable, I recommend Flamethrower rather than Stored Power. Having Flamethrower gives you another Fire-type move on your team, which are fantastic to have, and discourages things like Scizor from switching in.

I would also like to point out a few things:

Choice Scarf Latios gives your team a load of trouble. It can trick the Scarf to your would-be wall Clefable to cripple it then switch away, eats up uninvested Brave Bird from Talonflame, and OHKOs everything else except Porygon2. If you know the opponent is scarf, it is crucial you don't let him kill Pg2 (or trick the Eviolite away, which would be unfortunate).

As previously stated by Eik00c, Thundurus-Incarnate pretty much has a hay-day against your team once Porygon2 falls. Overall, these two things show that you have a large dependency on Pg2, which is not necessarily bad, but means that you must be careful with it when these kinds of threats are running around on your opponent's team.

Hope I helped, hope it works out, and hope to see you on the ladder some day! ^_^

EDIT: You also made an error on the calculation for Mega Metagross' Ice Punch against your Garchomp. You forgot to apply the Tough Claws ability, it seems. Either way, it is doubtful to OHKO, but does do a massive chunk, so you must be at absolutely full HP to even hope to put in any work against it.

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 356-420 (84.7 - 100%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Kind of bumping, cuz PS is down and Im bored af.

But I was wondering if I should make latios some weird trick scarf set with like trick/ defog/ draco/ psyshock, mainly because it is a nice secondary checks to faster mons that talonflame cant always handle because he has such a low attack with the spread I am running. It would also help me deal with clefables, as you mentioned Gallade Lv. ✘ since I could get a scarf onto the clefable, it sort of helps in case talonflame goes down with pesky stall mons. And then I think I will definitey add a fire move onto garchomp or clefable I havent decided yet. The only reason I am hesitant to give up stored power is because it is a nice way to handle greninja by eating up the gunk shot and then knocking him back with the CM boosted stored power. Also in my experience, once they see I have toxic on garchomp they will switch in ferro, so maybe I will keep toxic and just put fire blast > protect.

Just sort of brainstorming, thanks for the input guys.

Galom

Banned deucer.
I would never give a Choice Scarf Latios Defog since it's pretty much a free turn generator from the opponent. Unless you're willing to ditch Porygon2 for something more adept at controlling hazards, your team is pretty much forced to stick with Defog Latios.

Yeah the tough claws boost actually has a chance to kill garchomp after rocks, but its still pretty crazy that it even has that chance to live getting hit by a X4 SE move boosted by tough claws from mega metagross lol.

And yeah scarf defog seems awful now that I think about it. But I think I will end up ditching P2 once the monsters have left the tier. But in all honestly I mostly dont mind not having hazard control, because talonflame usually can handle all the things it usually does even at 50%. So I think I still have some changes to make, and the pending bans are just going to change things even more, but I think I will continue to stick with the shapedo-talon core cuz it is just too much fun.

This is just my personal opinion, but i think if you made sharpedo mixed with ice beam > ice fang it might roll a bit better.
-1 252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 252-300 (65.9 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Sharpedo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 340-400 (89 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 304-360 (85.8 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Sharpedo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 360-424 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-1 252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 264-312 (67.1 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Sharpedo Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 56 SpD Salamence: 292-344 (74.3 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 154-182 (40.5 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Sharpedo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chesnaught: 178-210 (46.8 - 55.2%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Plus ice fang has a small chance to miss. I understand you want to take advantage of strong jaw but i think Ice Beam is better. I would put a tiny bit of investment in Spa, as you dont need 252 spe, or i dont believe so anyway.

Updating and bumping, put some fire moves on this team just to help with obvious stuff for sharpedo. I changed latios to EQ because I was tired of getting outsped by all the 110 speed stuff in OU, so eq helps me surprise things like heatran and metagross, its not for much but its w/e Id be open to switching my latios set again.

I would like some hlep replacing p2 he is basically nothing now but a greninja switchin, he was essential for mega mence but now he is kinda deadweight. Any suggesstions on a replacement for him? If it helps this team is somewhat weak to weatherspam like ttar+exca and rain teams. I was toying with ferrothron, let me know what you think

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-190818764 (dope ass replay of sharpedo owning stall, and seeing the team in action)

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I can't really rate your team like planned when I can't see the changes you've made to it. Could you please update the OP?

I can't really rate your team like planned when I can't see the changes you've made to it. Could you please update the OP?
Yeah I put the changes in red, I didnt do much I just added 2 fire type moves to the team in clefable and garchomp. Then I put earthquake on my latios so I can hit things like jirachi and empoleon who are always switching in, a little harder.

I am really torn as to what changes I make because I rarely lose with this team, but I can just tell that it isnt as good as it should be. Like I said earlier my biggest "idea" if you will, is that I should change porygon 2 to ferrothorn as they both function as a mixed wall but ferro has more utility with things like spike stacking and leech seed. But then I lose my greninja switchin and I feel like more mons are prepared to hit ferro with some random fire coverage than they are to hit p2. I really dont know anyway

here is another replay that put near top 50 just now, Ill keep laddering up at my leisure but I got finals and stuff so I havent been able to ladder and test as much as I want:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-191423827
I think this game shows porygon 2's usefulness as not only a greninja counter but also just how fat he is, like he was taking on metagross and he survived an super effective superpower crit from landorus-t(it was SE because I was ice type due to protean) and that is not something I really want to get rid of anytime soon, but yeah just let me know what you think.

I appreciate any feedback :]

Hello.
As mentioned already, Thundurus gives you problems, being able to outspeed and kill Latios with Knock off, garchomp with hp ice, damaging porygon2 with knock off and superpower, 2hking clefable with thunderbolt, while some variant also have priority thunder wave in order to weaken Sharphedo, this combined with the fact that Talonflame, and your Garchomp gives him many switch ins opportuinities (albeit it's rare to find, and as such think that a Garchomp does not have dragon claw) makes him one hell of a problem.

I for one believe that Scarf Latios can be useful for you, however, in doing so you'll lose some "hazard control" so to say, and this is a vital priority, since you have Talonflame.
As such, the first step I would like to suggest you is to change Clefable ev spread to a mixed one this way, you'll be able to live two thunderbolts from life orb thundurus, with magic guard you also do not have to worry about residual damage, and clefable still has enough bulk to resist two life orb psyshock from latios, and cannot be 2hked by non-gunk shot Greninja.

Mega Sableye has become a dominant threat at the moment, Talonflame also cannot easily defeat it just like other usual 'mons on a stall team due to Magic Bounce, Garchomp also have no surefire ways to bring him down, so in a battle against a mega sableye team you'll be forced pretty much to have a negative matchup, sure Clefable helps, but sableye is often paired up with things like Heatran, Chansey, Unaware Clefable herself and so on, that will shut down clefable.
Combined with the "hazard control" if you were to change Latios set I believe that Special Defensive Excadrill is a much better fit for your team here.
He has an unexpected toxic just like your garchomp, but said toxic and stealth rocks, can bounce back Sableye's magic bounce, while also giving you another reliable rapid spinner if the need arises, mold breaker earthquake also destroys rotom-wash.

With these changes, I believe now that you can use without worrying too much Scarf Latios in order to gain another check for thundurus, a trick user in order to debilitate defensive threats, and a revengekiller more powerful than stallbreaking talonflame if the need arises.

Sets:

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Trick
- Psyshock

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

Excadrill (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SDef / 120 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
Excadrill ev spread allows you to surpass Rotom-wash, while still having enough bulk to resist a life orb focus blast gengar if the need arises.

Hope it helped, good luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)