Shaymin (Swords Dance SubSalac)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, after a few failed analysises in UU, I've decided to venture to OU. I've really thought hard on this one, and I think I've come to a good one, well, mostly. Some problems with Steel types, but I felt like I shoulf give it a shot.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/shaymin

[SET]
name: Swords Dance SubSalac
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Swords Dance
move 3: Endeavor
move 4: Seed Bomb
item: Salac Berry
nature: Adamant/Jolly
evs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/ 252 Spe

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
-Unexpected
-Seed Bomb is a great physical STAB
-Endeavor should bring foes resistant to Seed Bomb to very low HP, then Seed Bomb can pick them off
-100/100/100 bulk
-100 Atk
-100 Spe

Additional Comments:
-I suppose Zen Headbutt could be used for Infernape of something

Teammates:
-Something to take priority which this thing hates
-No Tyranitar, Hippowdon, or Abomasnow. That kinda stuff kills it, but you should probably know that.

Counters:
-Sandstorm or Hail
-Priority users like Infernape and Scizor
-Gengar resists Seed Bomb and is immune to Endeavor.

I just realized this is pretty short, do you need anything else?

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mono grass coverage is terrible, it gets destroyed by Gengar, gets destroyed by Scizor, Heatran, Dragonite, pretty much anything with a Grass resist should do fine. Also what the hell is wrong with your natures? Timid/Modest? You should probably read through a liiiiiiiittle more carefully before you post something here.

grass has terrible coverage in OU and seed bomb would not be hitting much of anything hard enough to be a sweeper mainly because of the typing. Even if you use zen headbutt you will still be crippled by most of the metagame. This set is outclassed even by the special life orb set and outclassed by Swords dance celebi and lucario.Endeavor is decent but it will be a one chance shot. Once the opponent knows your Swords dance its basically a field day for steal types to come in and wall you.

I agree, it won't work with Gengar, but it should do fine with everything else. There are plenty of grass resists, but it doesn't matter if you have very low HP thanks to Endeavor.

Seven Deadly Sins: I know, I'm so tired right now...

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Uh... Celebi does this better. Like a hell of a lot better, because of Baton Pass (which is way better than Endeavor). Also, this: "I suppose Zen Headbutt could be used for Infernape of something" reminded me of the Super Machamp set. lol

Much better using Celebi or even Sceptile (if you need a grass typed Swords Dance user) for this kind of set.
Mono grass attack has terrible coverage blablabla i'm sure someone (or everyone) said that already.
Endeavor is not worth when you have Sandstorm or priority everywhere.

Mono grass is terrible in OU. Particularly in a Dragon and Steel infested metagame. This also means Gengar is rapping you 24/7 regardless of seed bomb. Zen Headbutt should definitively be replacing endeavorer. Substitute and Salac on something like shaymin is pretty "meh" as well considering Sandstorm being common....

That said, Celebi does this job 100% better and even then SD Celebi is a bit iffy. Sorry if I sounded harsh but I just don't see this set going on site.

-Endeavor should bring foes resistant to Seed Bomb to very low HP, then Seed Bomb can pick them off
Don't forget that foes resistant to Seed Bomb won't necessarily be offensive threats. I'll use Skarmory as an example. Since this strategy relies on continuously creating and breaking Substitutes, it will be ineffective against at least every resistant Pokemon with a phazing move.

Also, others have stated that Grass is a very sub-par offensive typing in OU, which is correct.

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
Not worthy, imo. Tyranitar's usage is too high, Gengar beats you everyday, Scarfers or priority, horrible coverage etc. In the best situation you die using Endeavor. Maybe a bulkier set with SD, but still, Shaymin's movepool is very limited.

Tyranitar and Abomasnow seem to common for this to work. Not only that but priority is a must in this metagame. in addition to that grass is just horrible STAB by itself. I don't see this set working anytime soon

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, after a few failed analysises in UU, I've decided to venture to OU. I've really thought hard on this one, and I think I've come to a good one, well, mostly. Some problems with Steel types, but I felt like I shoulf give it a shot.
Seems like all I do lately is make the same posts over and over again I'll quote myself a bit here:

I won't really address the set as I'm sure anyone here will tell you it's terrible, but the main thing to take away from this is that trying as hard as you can to "think up" sets, or trying to be unique just for the sake of writing an analysis about your set, will not result in high quality sets. You'll just get stuff you thought up that manages to be one of the billion things that can beat the lower quarter of the ladder but is useless in actually challenging battles. The point of C&C isn't to throw batter at the wall and keep what sticks to it, but to serve as a knowledge compendium for the best and most competitive sets in Pokemon. While your eagerness is nice, I'd encourage you to go about this the other way. Stop trying to think up stuff to write about and start playing Pokemon seriously for awhile. You can't force innovation.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I'm very interested in this: Have you tested this set?? The reason that your sets are being shot down is because they are just theorymon'd up and have not been tested, and usually is bad. You will know when you have come across a C&C worthy set when you have tested it thoroughly and it works, not something that is "This sounds good on paper so it must be". A very important thing you need to know, and that is all sets are to be tested before they are posted.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OP said:
Why this set deserves to be on-site:
-Unexpected
-Seed Bomb is a great physical STAB
-100/100/100 bulk
-100 Atk
-100 Spe
It seems to me like this list of characteristics is pretty much useless, since it either adds things that are already known and don't affect the purpose of the set, or it just relies on that "unexpected" detail that is not really offering anything positive. Apart from this, the fact of having a Grass-type move as your only attack option is very limited and offers a considerably bad coverage overall. Why should one use a physically-based Shaymin over the standard special attacker that boasts a few amazing moves such as Seed Flare and Earth Power, which already cause a lot of damage to everything that not resists them? I'm sorry, but I can't allow this set to have its own spot on the site.

QC REJECTED (1/3)

This might have a different niche, differentiating it from Celebi's SD set. I'd think if you removed the "Salac" strategy and just use SubSD. Then maybe it'll work despite the weather and priority, which seriously hinders the whole "Salac" strategy.

Shaymin holds only a x2 weakness to bug over Celebi. In addition, not being weak to Dark might allow Shaymin to set up on weaker pursuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)