SS OU Shell Smash Jolteon Psyspam, 1800+ Peak

Well I'm not master builder Pinkacross, but I make some of the most demonic and seemingly trash teams you'll ever see on Showdown. Hope you guys enjoy!

Team paste -----> https://pokepast.es/45ba2177d342139b

psy·spam

Noun
1. A braindead archetype that literally plays itself.
2. A crutch bad players hold tightly in order to cheese wins against skilled opponents.
"Another psyspam user??? Pokemon players have no skill these days smh."

So, I was playing a chill game of mons when something struck me. "Wait, remember that shell smash Jolteon team I built?" Damn I remember that team, it was one of the first semi-viable teams I ever built. So, naturally, I recreated it to fit the current metagame and also just generally improve it.

Canned Calamari (Tapu Lele) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Moonblast

Obligatory Psychic Terrain setter. Terrain Extender makes psychic terrain last throughout one of my numerous Shell Smasher's sweeps, and makes priority concerns irrelevant. Taunt is on there to stop hazards from getting up as well as stopping things like Corviknight and Blissey from Recovering and the Slowtwins from Teleporting. The last 3 moves are just lele's almost mandatory 3 attacks: Psyshock, Moonblast, and Focus Blast.

Sakura (Espeon) @ Eject Button
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Yawn
- Weather Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Eject Button Espeon is a staple on psyspam. You pivot it in on any Pokemon, prevent hazards from going up, and Eject Button out into one of your sweepers (or just die and pivot into one of your sweepers, both ways work). Expanding Force is very powerful in Psychic Terrain, allowing for Espeon to exert some offensive pressure of its own. Dazzling Gleam and Weather Ball are both good coverage moves (I have a sun setter on this team as you'll soon see), and yawn both to put the opponent in an awkward spot with a drowzy pokemon in versus a sashed Shell Smasher, or to allow for a switch into a Shell Smasher even once the Eject Button is used up. (Nicknamed "Sakura" because that's what you have to nickname Eevee to evolve it into Espeon in Pokemon GO. Sorry, Naruto fans).

Master Oogway (Torkoal) @ Eject Pack
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shell Smash
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Rapid Spin

Now it's time to introduce the main strategy of the team. Torkoal is one of the slowest Shell Smashers out there (which is important) and also sets sun (which is also important). Stealth Rock is always good to have on a team, and it helps out with certain rolls for my Shell Smashers. Rapid Spin is important for making sure Torkoal doesnt allow any hazards to be set up, as well as removing hazards already present in case they set up Spikes or Stealth Rock in the face of one of my Shell Smashers and it doesnt autowin. Lava Plume is the preferred fire move on Torkoal, as the 30% chance to burn makes up for its slightly less base power than flamethrower. Shell Smash Eject Pack allows you to Shell Smash and get outta there, and this is where the strategy comes into play.

Bolt (Jolteon) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Copycat
- Electro Ball
- Stored Power
- Weather Ball

The lord himself, Shell Smash Jolteon. Once Torkoal Shell Smashes, it pivots out into Jolteon and Jolteon will Copycat the Shell Smash. Electro Ball's power is boosted to obscene heights after a shell smash, being able to cleanly OHKO bulky mons such as 252hp/56+SpD Clefable and 2HKO standard Blissey. Stored Power in Psychic Terrain is also insanely powerful after a Shell Smash, being able to OHKO offensive electric immunities/resists such as Garchomp, Dragapult, Tapu Koko, Zeraora, etc. while dealing significant damage to Landorus-Therian, either killing it after some chip or chipping it in range of one of my other Shell Smashers. Weather Ball takes out problem Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Magnezone, and that's just about it. The commbonation of Torkoal and Copycat Jolteon absolutely turns the tables on rain teams which psyspam often struggles with, which is invaluble in the more rain-infested parts of the ladder, and even the occasionally high-ladder rain team (now becoming more occasional thanks to Pinkacross).

Bri’ ish Cleanup (Polteageist-Antique) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Shadow Ball
- Stored Power
- Giga Drain

Polteageist is a fantastic mon on psyspam. Not only is it generally a very potent sweeper, but without priority or hazards to worry about and with its Stored Power recieving a significant buff, this Pokemon becomes an absolute menace. It's also able to turn the tables on scarfers like Kartana and Landorus-Therian by outspeeding them after a Weak Armor boost + a Shell Smash boost, while further increasing the power of its Stored Power. Shadow Ball is STAB that hits what Stored Power doesnt (Steels and Slowking-Galar), and Giga Drain is able to chip Tyranitar and also heal past its sandstorm if the opponent decides to switch it in hard. This also prevents them from getting their rocks up in it's face. Mimikyu Stardust probably fell out of a chair when I put Giga Drain over Metronome as my 4th move tbh.

Mega Ghastly (Cloyster) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard

Cloyster is another good Shell Smash sweeper, even without its beloved King's Rock that skyrocketed it into OU bannability. Shell Smash because yes, Icicle Spear is basically mandatory, and Rock Blast is good coverage for fire and ice types such as Arctozolt, Victini, Ninetales-Alola, and Weavile, while bringing valuble neutral coverage for Tapu Fini, Heatran, and Rotom-Wash. Ice Shard may seem counterintuitive as it's blocked by my own Psychic Terrain, but it improved my Rillaboom matchup greatly, especially after Torkoal's rocks are set up. It also comes in handy versus Hawlucha and random scarf Latios/Latias.

Hope you enjoyed! I've got plenty of heat in my arsenal, so let me know if I should do another one of these! Have a nice day :]

Edit: In case you need confirmation about my ranking, see here:
1643460106654.png

Last edited:
Based indeed. Any replays?
Oops, mb for not including any. Here's some:

Jolteon puts in work:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1499449192-pjo5emaa5cd27k1ixgllst4h6r2gqt0pw

Polteageist sets up cloyster for a sweep:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1500479774

A tough mu but Polteageist clutched it out:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1500227504

Don't have a ton of replays since I wasnt deliberately saving them for this rmt, sorry.

Nice Team! Few ideas: Try Xatu over Espeon, it gets Teleport. Try Weatherball on Cloyster to surprise some counters (e.g. scizor and ferrothorn).
Thanks for the suggestions! Although Xatu could definitely work, the speed tier is significantly worse, cant use Weather Ball, and most importantly, can't Yawn. It wouldnt hinder the team much, but IMO Espeon fits this build better. It's always nice to have some immediate speed control on any type of team. As for cloyster, Weather Ball was actually used in the first version of the team! Sadly, Torkoal's sun wasn't up long enough for it to ever work. It already takes a turn to Shell Smash up, and setting up sun is already pretty difficult in the fist place as Torkoal only has one good slow pivot and it almost always uses it on Jolteon, meaning the only way for sun to stay up afterwards is to sack Torkoal, and even then there's only so many things cloyster can smash up against. Ice Shard ended up being a far better choice to improve my Rillaboom matchup, which is otherwise very poor.

question: what do you usually do against hazard stack teams? The whole team kind of gets countered by a single stealth rocks

Just curious for Polteageist, does it really miss out on anything if it isn't running Modest? Anything below 110 natural with +1 Spe is pretty annoying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)