Shiftry (Analysis) [GP 2/2]

[Overview]

<p>Shiftry is a Pokemon whose mediocre stats are balanced by its many methods of boosting them. With the moves Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Growth, and the ability Chlorophyll, Shiftry can use its above average offensive movepool to fill a variety of sweeping roles. Shiftry's biggest issue is that it lacks the sheer power, Speed, or bulk of some other sweepers with whom it competes for a team spot. Nonetheless, Shiftry is certainly not to be underestimated. With proper timing, it can rip holes in your opponent's team like a gust of wind through a flimsy umbrella.</p>

[SET]

name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Seed Bomb
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Nature Power
item: Life Orb
ability: Early Bird
nature: Adamant
evs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Def / 56 SpD / 44 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to sweep with Shiftry's higher Attack stat by using Swords Dance. Shiftry can survive an Ice Beam from Milotic comfortably, making it and other bulky Waters perfect setup fodder. STAB Sucker Punch is very powerful for a priority attack, and at +2 will destroy almost any Choice Scarf user who doesn't resist it. Seed Bomb is your reliable STAB attack, and it hits many of UU's walls, such as Slowbro and Donphan, for super effective damage. Nature Power, which becomes Earthquake in a WiFi match, pairs well with Seed Bomb, providing coverage on Fire-, Steel-, and Poison-types, most notably Registeel, Nidoqueen, Roserade, and Arcanine.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Anyone using this set should prepare themselves for prediction, as some opponents will require you to predict correctly between Sucker Punch or another attacking option in order to beat them. For instance, Arcanine can be beaten after Stealth Rock damage, but you have to predict either ExtremeSpeed or Flare Blitz and answer with Earthquake or Sucker Punch, respectively. Many faster threats will use Substitute to dodge Sucker Punch, so you must use another attack to break the Substitutes, only using Sucker Punch when they decide to attack. Rotom-A will often try to Trick a Choice Scarf onto Shiftry in order bypass Sucker Punch, which may require you to switch. Sunny Day support can pretty much nullify this issue, as it allows you to outspeed almost everything without a Choice Scarf. This mostly removes the need to outpredict targets such as Arcanine, Roserade, Alakazam, and Chandelure. Choice Scarf users, on the other hand, mostly use four attacks, making them vulnerable to Sucker Punch.</p>

<p>Thanks to Sucker Punch, Shiftry can afford minimal Speed investment - just enough to outspeed Suicune that don't invest in Speed, and by extension most of the other UU walls. This allows for a substantial investment in HP and defenses, which greatly helps Shiftry switch in and use Swords Dance. In an extreme scenario, Shiftry can even survive a Heat Wave from defensive variants of Zapdos.</p>

<p>When looking for teammates for Shiftry, Victini is a prime option. Victini can easily lure in bulky Waters or Donphan and catch them with U-turn, allowing Shiftry a perfect opportunity to set up Swords Dance. The two also cover many of each other's weaknesses. Like most Grass-types, Shiftry does well in a Fire-Water-Grass core, with pokemon such as Milotic, Suicune, Arcanine, and the aforementioned Victini. Rotom-H, Lanturn, and Qwilfish are other Fire- and Water-type options that provide additional type synergy. A bulky Flying- or Ghost-type is recommended as well to help Shiftry deal with Heracross and Hitmontop, some of Shiftry's best counters.</p>

[SET]

name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Shiftry set is designed specifically for use on a Sunny Day team. The goal here is to sweep with Chlorophyll-boosted Speed and Nasty Plot-boosted special attacks. Dark Pulse and Giga Drain provide great dual STAB moves, each with their own beneficial side effect. Dark Pulse's flinch rate is quite useful with doubled Speed, and Giga Drain allows Shiftry to recover Life Orb recoil while sweeping. Hidden Power Fire allows Shiftry to defeat some of its usual counters, such as Heracross, bulky Grass-types, and Escavalier. Given a turn of setup, this set can be very difficult for your opponent to handle without priority moves or Chansey. Note that with Giga Drain and Hidden Power Fire, Shiftry can OHKO Abomasnow and nearly OHKO Hippowdon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>252 Speed EVs are used to outspeed as many Choice Scarf users as possible while Sunny Day is active, although Modest is still used to help make up for Shiftry's less-than-stellar base 90 Special Attack. With this spread, Shiftry can outspeed positive base 105 Speed Pokemon and neutral base 120 Speed Pokemon who are holding a Choice Scarf.</p>

<p>Uxie is the ideal team mate to set up Sunny Day for Shiftry, as it can also utilize Stealth Rock to aid in sweeping and Memento to almost guarantee an opportunity for Shiftry to use Nasty Plot. Alone, Shiftry is not likely to sweep a full team, so use other Pokemon who benefit from Sunny Day such as Victini, Sawsbuck, and Charizard.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>When using Swords Dance on a Sunny Day team, you can use Night Slash instead of Sucker Punch. If you do this you should remove EVs from HP, Special Defense, and Defense, and put them into Speed. Low Kick can be used instead of Nature Power to maintain coverage on Steel-types while helping against Abomasnow, Cradily, and Snorlax. X-Scissor is an option to hit Grass-types super effectively, but it should be noted that +2 X-Scissor doesn't even 2HKO Tangrowth. Rock Slide can be used to hit Flying-types while maintaining coverage on Fire-types, but of course loses coverage on Steel-types. Extrasensory on the Nasty Plot set provides a way of destroying Fighting- and Poison-types, although the most notable ones, Heracross and Roserade, already go down to Hidden Power while Technitop will take Shiftry out with priority anyway. SolarBeam can also be used with Nasty Plot to provide a great deal of power, but can leave you trapped against Abomasnow and is useless when Sunny Day is not in effect.</p>

<p>Shiftry can use a mixed set with Growth if given Sunny Day support. The best way to go about this is a moveset of Growth / Sucker Punch / Seed Bomb / Hidden Power Fire, with an EV spread of 252 Atk / 148 SpA / 104 Spe. This essentially functions as a variant of the Swords Dance set but with Hidden Power Fire to defeat Heracross and bulky Grass-types. Growth can also be used on a pure physical or special sun sweeper to conceal the identity of the set for an additional turn. Just keep in mind that you won't be able set up effectively if the sun fades.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hitmontop is the best counter to Shiftry, as it can switch in and OHKO with both its sets. Intimidate variants will survive a boosted attack, while Technician variants can simply OHKO with priority Mach Punch. Other bulky Fighting-types, such as Hariyama and Throh, function in a similar way. Heracross can survive a boosted attack from the Swords Dance set and OHKO in return, but will fall to a boosted Hidden Power Fire (assuming Sunny Day is in effect). Cobalion works similarly although both Shiftry sets will destroy it in the sun if they have managed to acquire a boost. Bulky Grass-types can wall the Swords Dance set, but usually have to wear Shiftry down slowly. Arcanine can bypass Sucker Punch with ExtremeSpeed or KO with Flare Blitz, but it must predict correctly to avoid being KOed itself. Defensive Zapdos can use Toxic, Substitute, Roar or Roost to bypass Sucker Punch, but needs to be careful of taking a direct hit from a neutral or super effective attack. Rotom-A resists all but Shiftry's Dark-type attacks and can Trick a Choice Scarf to cripple Shiftry. Dusclops and Confagrius can survive a +2 Seed Bomb and burn Shiftry, although Dusclops can still be beaten as it will be unable to utilize Pain Split effectively with Shiftry taking so much passive damage from Life Orb and burn. Chansey can wall the Nasty Plot set to no end unless it's taking +6 SolarBeams. In general, the Nasty Plot set has fewer counters with Sunny Day active, while the Swords Dance set is the only recommended set without sun support.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Shiftry gets Pickpocket as its Dream World ability. This allows it to switch in on a contact move and steal the opponent's item, most notably an Eviolite from Chansey or Dusclops. Nonetheless, this is not advisable since Shiftry really needs a Life Orb and can already kill or severely cripple Chansey, Gligar, or Dusclops (although Chansey walls the Nasty Plot set).</p>

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We're trying to avoid these 'yoh, here's a placeholder' threads. Try to post something of substance, even in an initial post.

Ok, I have added the bones and am ready for some feedback. I particularly want to know what people think about the speed on the Swords Dance set, whether there should be a Sunny Day/Growth set, and what the specifics of the set might be.

I'm not sure what advantages mixed has over pure physical, though. All I can really think of is Giga Drain, for healing and hitting physical walls. Something like:

Growth
Sucker Punch / Night Slash
Giga Drain
Low Kick

is what I'm thinking.

breh

強いだね
since I currently am in love with the idea of putting knock off on anything, mention it in OO?

Leaf Storm + power swap?

Icy wind?

leech seed may be worth a mention.

as far as mix goes, Seed Bomb seems better simply for the fact that you can do a lot of damage to suicune. however, the differences seem pretty trivial overall.

also, team options go in ac from what I understand.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I was not a fan of a mixed Growth set. Straight Swords Dance or Nasty Plot was much better when Drought was around (when I last played with Shiftry unfortunately).

Also, both of the sets should just assume Sunny Day support. There isn't a need to add a Sunny Day abuser set imo.

I was not a fan of a mixed Growth set. Straight Swords Dance or Nasty Plot was much better when Drought was around (when I last played with Shiftry unfortunately).

Also, both of the sets should just assume Sunny Day support. There isn't a need to add a Sunny Day abuser set imo.
My entire experience with the SD set is without sun, and I can provide logs to show that it works without sun if necessary. I will mention sun support, though, as it certainly can't hurt.

The NP set would suffer much more from the low speed, so I agree that it would need sun to be viable and avoid being outclassed by many other NP users. So having one set that can have sun support and one that requires it, should I reflect that in both the titles and comments (i.e. "Swords Dance" with mention of sun and "Nasty Plot Sun sweeper" that assumes sun), or should I simply leave the titles as " Swords Dance" and "Nasty Plot" and explain the disparity with regards to sun only in the comments?

Growth Set:
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk, 128 SpA, 128 Spe
Nature: (+Atk, - SpD)

-Seed Bomb
-Dark Pulse
-Low Kick
-Growth

Why? Seed Bomb is makes you invest in Atk to boost Low Kick which needs as many EVs as possible, Dark Pulse is more reliable than Sucker Punch, and since Growth relies on the Sun for efficiency, you wont need to worry about priority (making Sucker Punch the easiest move to replace). As an alternative Giga Drain can replace Seed Bomb (And switch the Atk and SpA EVs and Nature), although Seed Bomb encourages more Atk investment to boost Low Kick...

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My entire experience with the SD set is without sun, and I can provide logs to show that it works without sun if necessary. I will mention sun support, though, as it certainly can't hurt.

The NP set would suffer much more from the low speed, so I agree that it would need sun to be viable and avoid being outclassed by many other NP users. So having one set that can have sun support and one that requires it, should I reflect that in both the titles and comments (i.e. "Swords Dance" with mention of sun and "Nasty Plot Sun sweeper" that assumes sun), or should I simply leave the titles as " Swords Dance" and "Nasty Plot" and explain the disparity with regards to sun only in the comments?
I think the latter would be a better idea.

Added a bunch of Updates

-Set comments for NP set
-Team Options moved to AC as Breludicolo suggested
-Low Kick moved to OO and replaced by Nature Power (don't you love it when you find out you've been using a suboptimal set for months?)
-Mixed Growth set added to OO. After a lot of thought I think it's the optimal Mixed Set for Shiftry. Seed Bomb/Rock Slide/HP Fire was tempting, but ultimately is outclassed by Victreebell's Leaf Blade/Weather Ball/HP Rock.

If it's not a bother, you could always add a special Scarf or Specs set. Something like this?

name: Special Choice
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Ice
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs

A typical scarf revenger set, or a destructive specs set. Works really well late-game once you get rid of the pokemon who resist grass. You come in, Leaf Storm, and get out. but watch out for Setup sweepers who will use the -2 as their advantage. With Team Preview and a little prediction it's a nice and destructive late game set. Modest is for the power

I'm not sure 90/80 special sweeping stats is enough to justify a choice set. Roserade seems like the primary choice for a Leaf Storm spam set, but stuff like Sceptile, Celebi, and even Shaymin all have better stats for the job than Shiftry. Dark STAB is its main advantage, but when it comes to providing coverage with Leaf Storm, Roserade's Sludge Bomb does better.

Overall, without one of his many stat doubling methods or strong priority, his lowish stats become a big letdown.

Shiftry can work well in the sun with the same set as the first but with focus sash and chlorophyll and even with the sun out it is a quick pokemon.

I've already gotten the QC checks on this, so I really shouldn't be adding anything except if there were some extreme case. I really don't think Leaf Storm Shiftry constitutes such a case. I would never use Specs Shiftry in the sun, because a base 90 SpA Leaf Storm isn't worth having to waste a turn of sun (and the health of one of your sweepers) by forcing yourself to switch out. Exeggutor is a much better pokemon to fill the "Chlorophyll special nuke", as it can do more damage with Solarbeam than Shiftry can with Leaf Storm.

I've been running the first set and it's REALLY awesome! Shiftry is pretty scary as it's a setup sweeper who's not afraid of bulky waters and it's got Sucker Punch which is invaluable. He's really cool against heavy stall teams that don't really run offensive pokemon. You just have to watch for Heracross when using Shiftry. Mismagius or Dusclops are pretty good partners for him.

Shiftry is probably one of the most underrated pokemon ever. It's really fun to use and it's got the element of surprise :p

Amateur check.

Red for delete
Bold for insert / replace etc
Blue for comments

[Overview]

<p>Shiftry is a Pokemon whose mediocre stats are balanced by its many methods of boosting them. With the moves Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, and Growth, and the ability Chlorophyll, Shiftry can use its above average offensive movepool to fill a variety of sweeping roles. Shiftry's biggest issue is that it lacks the sheer power, speed, or bulk of some other sweepers with whom it competes for a team spot. Nonetheless, Shiftry is certainly not to be underestimated. With proper timing, it can rip holes in your opponent's team like a gust of wind through a flimsy umbrella.</p>

[SET]

name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Seed Bomb
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Nature Power
nature: Adamant
evs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Def / 56 SpD / 44 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to sweep with Shiftry's higher Attack stat by using Swords Dance. Shiftry can survive an Ice Beam from Milotic quite comfortably, making it and other bulky waters perfect setup fodder for this set. STAB Sucker Punch is very powerful for a priority attack, and at +2 will destroy almost any Choice Scarf user who doesn't resist it. Seed Bomb is your more reliable STAB attack, and it hits many of UU's walls, such as Slowbro and Donphan, for super effective damage. Nature Power, which becomes Earthquake in a wifi match, pairs well with Seed Bomb, providing coverage on Fire-, Steel-, and Poison-types, most notably Registeel, Nidoqueen, Roserade, and Arcanine.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Anyone using this set should prepare themselves for prediction wars (remove comma) as some opponents will require you to predict correctly between Sucker Punch or another attacking option in order to beat them. For instance, Arcanine can be beaten after Stealth Rock damage, but you have to predict either Extremespeed or Flare Blitz , (remove comma) and answer with Earthquake or Sucker Punch, respectively. Many faster threats will use Substitute to dodge Sucker Punch, so you must use another attack to break the Substitutes, only using Sucker Punch when they decide to attack. Rotom-A will often try to Trick a Choice Scarf onto Shiftry in order bypass Sucker Punch, which may require you to switch. Sunny Day support can pretty much nullify this issue, as it allows you to outspeed almost everything without a Choice Scarf. This mostly removes the need to outpredict targets such as Arcanine, Roserade, Raikou, and Mismagius. The Choice Scarf users, on the other hand, mostly use four attacks, making them vulnerable to Sucker Punch.</p>

<p>Thanks to Sucker Punch, Shiftry can afford to run a minimal speed investment - just enough to outspeed univested Suicune, and by extension most of the other UU walls. This allows for a substantial investment in HP and defenses, which greatly helps Shiftry find time to switch in and use Swords Dance. In an extreme scenario, Shiftry can even survive a Heat Wave from defensive variants of Zapdos.</p>
<p>When looking for teammates for Shiftry, Victini is a prime ooption. Victini can easily lure in bulky waters or Donphan and catch them with U-turn, allowing Shiftry a perfect opportunity to set up Swords Dance. The two also cover many of each other's weaknesses. Like most Grass-types, Shiftry does well in a Fire-Water-Grass core, with pokemon such as Milotic, Suicune, Arcanine, and the aforementioned Victini. Rotom-H, Lanturn, and Qwilfish are other Fire- and Water-type options that provide additional type synergy. A bulky Flying- or Ghost-type is recommended as well (remove comma, don't remove "well") to help Shiftry deal with Heracross and Hitmontop, some of Shiftry's best counters.</p>

[SET]

name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
ability: Chlorophyll

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This Shiftry set is designed specifically for use on a Sunny Day team. The goal here is to sweep with Chlorophyll-boosted speed and Nasty Plot-boosted special attacks. Dark Pulse and Giga Drain provide great dual STAB moves, each with their own beneficial side effect. Dark Pulse's flinch rate is quite useful with doubled speed, and Giga Drain allows you to recover Life Orb recoil while sweeping. Hidden Power Fire allows Shiftry to defeat some of its usual counters, such as Heracross, bulky Grass-types, and Escavalier. Given a turn of setup, this set can be very difficult for your opponent to handle without priority moves or Chansey. Note that with Giga Drain and Hidden Power Fire, Shiftry can OHKO both of the auto-weather pokemon in UU. I suspect this still holds true, but I haven't done the calcs. Might want to check.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>252 Speed EVs are used to outspeed as many Choice Scarf users as possible while Sunny Day is active, although Modest is still used to help make up for Shiftry's less-than-stellar base 90 Special Attack. With this spread, Shiftry can outspeed positive nature base 105 Speed Pokemon and neutral nature base 120 Speed Pokemon who are holding a Choice Scarf.</p>

<p>Uxie is the ideal team mate to set up Sunny Day for Shiftry, as it can also utilize Stealth Rock to aid in sweeping and Memento to almost guarantee an opportunity for Shiftry to use Nasty Plot. Alone, Shiftry is not likely to sweep a full team, so use other Pokemon who benefit from Sunny Day such as Victini, Sawsbuck, and Charizard.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>When using Swords Dance on a Sunny Day team, you can use Night Slash instead of Sucker Punch. If you do this you should remove EVs from HP, Special Defense, and Defense, and put them into Speed. Low Kick can be used instead of Nature Power to maintain coverage on Steel-types while helping against Abomasnow, Cradily, and Snorlax. X-Scissor is an option to hit Grass-types super effectively, but it should be noted that +2 X-Scissor doesn't even 2HKO Tangrowth. Rock Slide can be used to hit Flying-types while maintaining coverage on Fire-types, but of course loses coverage on Steel-types. Extrasensory can be used on the Nasty Plot set provides a way of destroying Fighting- and Poison-types, although the most notable ones, Heracross and Roserade, already go down to HP Fire (remove comma) while Technitop will take Shriftry out with priority anyway. Solarbeam can also be used with Nasty Plot to provide a great deal of power, but can leave you trapped against Abomasnow and is useless when Sunny Day is not in effect.</p>

<p>Shiftry can use a mixed set with Growth if given Sunny Day support. The best way to go about this is a moveset of Growth / Sucker Punch / Seed Bomb / Hidden Power Fire, with an EV spread of 252 Atk / 148 SpA / 104 Spe. This essentially functions as a variant of the Swords Dance set but with Hidden Power Fire to defeat Heracross and bulky Grass-types. Growth can also be used on a pure physical or special Sun sweeper to conceal the identity of the set for an additional turn. Just keep in mind that you won't be able set up effectively if the sun fades.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hitmontop is the best counter to Shiftry, as it can switch in and OHKO with both its sets. Intimidate variants will survive a boosted attack, while Technician variants can simply OHKO with priority Mach Punch. Other bulky Fighting-types, such as Hariyama and Throh, function in a similar way. Heracross can survive a boosted attack from the Swords Dance set and OHKO in return, but will fall to a boosted Hidden Power Fire (But it is faster, and so only has to worry about Sucker Punch outside of sun?). Cobalion works similarly although both Shriftry sets will destroy it in the Sun if they have managed to boost. Bulky Grass-types can wall the Swords Dance set, but usually have to wear Shriftry down more slowly. Arcanine can bypass Sucker Punch with Extremespeed or KO with Flare Blitz, but it must predict correctly to avoid being KOed itself. Defensive Zapdos can use Toxic, Substitute, Roar or Roost to bypass Sucker Punch, but needs to be careful of taking a direct hit from a neutral or super effective attack. Rotom-A resists all but Shriftry's Dark-type attacks and can Trick a Choice Scarf to cripple Shiftry (is Shriftry really crippled with a Scarf? Hindered maybe, but I'm not sure about crippled). Dusclops and Confagrius can survive a +2 Seed Bomb and burn Shiftry, although Dusclops will eventually fall anyway (Why? I think you should explain here). Chansey can wall the Nasty Plot set to no end unless it's taking +6 Solarbeams. In general, the Nasty Plot set has fewer counters with Sunny Day active, while the Swords Dance set is the only recommended set without Sun support.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Shiftry gets Pickpocket as its Dream World ability. This allows it to switch in on a contact move and steal the opponent's item, most notably an Eviolite from Chansey or Dusclops. Nonetheless, this is not advisable since Shiftry really needs a Life Orb and can already kill or severely cripple Chansey, Gligar, or Dusclops with appropriate sets Not sure if this is what you intended, but it seems right - Chansey isn't going to die to NP Shriftry, so ....</p>

Ok just noticed the GP check. This has been on the second page for a loooong time so I stopped checking up on it frequently. Will update soon.

To address Banedon's last point, the Swords Dance set beats all of those evioliters provided they switch in on Swords Dance. Against Gligar you either are faster and can get another boost before Taunt, or are slower and will hit super effectively after a roost. Against Dusclops you can 2hko even getting burned after the first attack. I will explain the dusclops matchup as you recommended. Against chansey you obviously just power through. I also should probably mention alakazam and chandelure as sub users to watch out for rather than mismagius and raikou. Should i still spell it out that np doesn't beat chansey? (its mentioned earlier in the analysis anyway)

Edit: I addressed every bit of blue text except for the bit about choice scarf, since in my experience it's pretty crippling (remember it only reaches 312 speed with a scarf, so even being locked into +2 Seed Bomb isn't that splendid)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)