Shiny Breeding

I'm trying to breed a shiny Calm Poliwag with swift swim.

So far I've hatched over 1,480 eggs.

4 Shines, 3 Damp 1 Water Absorb.

It's incredibly frustrating shiny breeding I'm relatively new to it, I just wanted some advice/encouragement how many eggs did you hatch to get a shiny? Is it worth it?

I think the most annoying part is I've had 4 shiny Pokemon with the wrong ability those were within the first 400 eggs the last 900+ have yielded none.

I'm trying to breed a shiny Calm Poliwag with swift swim.

So far I've hatched over 1,480 eggs.

4 Shines, 3 Damp 1 Water Absorb.

It's incredibly frustrating shiny breeding I'm relatively new to it, I just wanted some advice/encouragement how many eggs did you hatch to get a shiny? Is it worth it?

I think the most annoying part is I've had 4 shiny Pokemon with the wrong ability those were within the first 400 eggs the last 900+ have yielded none.
4 shinies in 400 eggs is fantastically good luck. I usually average around 1000 before I even get one.

Hidden Abilities can be a pain in the butt though. Keep at it!

4 shinies in 400 is phenomenal! I usually go that number and get only one.

Lucky that the Shiny Charm is so easy to get this generation.

Honestly, I have to say it's worth it. First project I did was a Timid Shiny Gastly with egg moves in anticipation of S/M's IV training. Seeing that little blue cloud totally paid off after so many eggs, but Gengar is pretty much my favorite Pokemon (and that mega is fantastic)

Good luck going forward!

I've hatched over 1,200 eggs (most likely, I was at 989 a week ago) and haven't gotten a shiny, so your luck is pretty good.

By the way, is there any way to check how many eggs you've hatched without going into a battle? I was only able to check in Festival Plaza after a guest wanted to compare our stats, but they usually don't ask to do so.

Wow, you guys have hatched over 1.5k eggs already in S/M?! That's ridiculous. I've bred my main team and I'm not even over 0.5k I believe. I have hatched one shiny Skarmory, and it was an accident. Wasn't even looking for one...

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
Here's a challenge: Try doing a shiny female Munchlax with a specific nature and some egg moves ;)

EDIT: And having IVs of 31/31/31/x/31/0 or 31 (depends on Nature)

Here's a challenge: Try doing a shiny female Munchlax with a specific nature and some egg moves ;)

EDIT: And having IVs of 31/31/31/x/31/0 or 31 (depends on Nature)
It took me 197 Munchlax eggs to get an Adamant one with 31/31/31/x31/31 and that was with perfect parents, all because I wanted self destruct and thus couldn't control for nature. I don't even want to think about how hard the above would be.

Hey guys just a quick Q. I'm trying to breed a shiny minior .. can I turn my 3DS off when I want a break .. I'm 390 eggs in and I wouldn't mind playing something else so I can relax from it.

The thought of ruining my shiny chances isn't worth thinking about

Hey guys just a quick Q. I'm trying to breed a shiny minior .. can I turn my 3DS off when I want a break .. I'm 390 eggs in and I wouldn't mind playing something else so I can relax from it.

The thought of ruining my shiny chances isn't worth thinking about
You can turn the 3DS off anytime during the Masuda Method, as long as you remember to save. Minior does have a high egg step count, so it might be better to use the Swap Method (explained in greater detail in this thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/breeding-rng-quirk.3589338/), which is essentially breeding Magikarps as they hatch quickly, saving every 20-30 eggs, and if any hatches shiny, revert to your last save and hatch Minior untill you get to the shiny egg (The egg RNG is predetermined, so things like shininess, IV's transfered, gender, and hidden ability are kept constant if you reset the game). Note that since Minior is genderless and Magikarp is not, you would have to alternate between rejecting the new egg and accepting it to keep the variables constant.

I have been on a bit of a drought when breeding for shinies, breeding about 18-20 boxes of competitive MM mons with no luck. A few days ago, when trying to breed for a Jolly Growthline with my Calm Arcanine, I ended up getting surprised with a shiny, and used the swap method on it to get a shiny 6IV Minior. Then, once I actually bred for said Jolly Growthline, I ended up getting one in 12 or so eggs and put the rest of them in Poke Pelago, only to realize one of those was also a shiny.

You can turn the 3DS off anytime during the Masuda Method, as long as you remember to save. Minior does have a high egg step count, so it might be better to use the Swap Method (explained in greater detail in this thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/breeding-rng-quirk.3589338/), which is essentially breeding Magikarps as they hatch quickly, saving every 20-30 eggs, and if any hatches shiny, revert to your last save and hatch Minior untill you get to the shiny egg (The egg RNG is predetermined, so things like shininess, IV's transfered, gender, and hidden ability are kept constant if you reset the game). Note that since Minior is genderless and Magikarp is not, you would have to alternate between rejecting the new egg and accepting it to keep the variables constant.

I have been on a bit of a drought when breeding for shinies, breeding about 18-20 boxes of competitive MM mons with no luck. A few days ago, when trying to breed for a Jolly Growthline with my Calm Arcanine, I ended up getting surprised with a shiny, and used the swap method on it to get a shiny 6IV Minior. Then, once I actually bred for said Jolly Growthline, I ended up getting one in 12 or so eggs and put the rest of them in Poke Pelago, only to realize one of those was also a shiny.
Finally a definitive answer :D
This is great info and thankyou!

Yes I do the shiny swap method a lot but I don't bother with the genderless .. a lot of faff and hassle imo .. and I want the surprise with Minior :D

Many thanks once again! :)

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
I was into shiny breeding a lot back then, I really should get back into it, it is just extremely time consuming.

I've only ever hatched two shinies, them being Shinx and Chimchar. I don't remember exactly how many eggs it took for either, but seeing that shiny pop out of the egg after you've been breeding for so long is such a good feeling, a major relief.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)