Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

People should stop spreading bad rumors unless we completely eschew the existing spreadsheet and differentiate between Kalos-bred and non-Kalos parents. If people aren't prepared to do that then you should stop with the rumors and superstition. Isn't gathering empirical data the point of this thread? That's why I'm quite irritated that people are making claims with no real evidence to back it up, which runs completely contrary to the purpose of this thread.

I acknowledged that, but my anecdotal bias means nothing on its own regardless of when (or if) I hatch my shiny.
Just got my 4th shiny with a non-kalos parent.

I highly HIGHLY doubt it matters as long as it's foreign. I'll be updating my post as soon as I finish hatching this batch.

Post #46 updated

Last edited:
I just broke 1800 eggs and still nothing, eggs 1-1650 were non Kalos 6iv Ditto and a Klaos 6iv Sceptile, eggs 1651-1830 were a 2iv Kalos Ditto and the Same Sceptile as before. I know another 180 eggs wouldn't make too much of a difference, but the ivs of the eggs the 2iv Ditto gave were horrible(the Ditto has hp, def and 2 sp.atk) so I'll be switching back to my non Kalos ditto in hopes of breaking this relentless shiny drought, wish me luck. On the bright side I have some 6iv Treecko(some with Unburden) if any one needs one when I finally get the chance to sift through the 40 boxes of Treecko in Pokebank

I just broke 1800 eggs and still nothing, eggs 1-1650 were non Kalos 6iv Ditto and a Klaos 6iv Sceptile, eggs 1651-1830 were a 2iv Kalos Ditto and the Same Sceptile as before. I know another 180 eggs wouldn't make too much of a difference, but the ivs of the eggs the 2iv Ditto gave were horrible(the Ditto has hp, def and 2 sp.atk) so I'll be switching back to my non Kalos ditto in hopes of breaking this relentless shiny drought, wish me luck. On the bright side I have some 6iv Treecko(some with Unburden) if any one needs one when I finally get the chance to sift through the 40 boxes of Treecko in Pokebank
I would love to have a female HA Treecko if you dont mind :) Ill give you one of my female HA Poochyena's for it!

On the bright side I have some 6iv Treecko(some with Unburden) if any one needs one when I finally get the chance to sift through the 40 boxes of Treecko in Pokebank
I'd like some Treecko, please. I wrote an offer on your profile (couldn't find the pm bitton on my phone)

Hello Guys. I think I may have discovered something. You see, way back before I was breeding for a shiny Charmander. After over 500 eggs there was no shiny. I gave up and went for a shiny Gastly instead. After 450 eggs I got a shiny which had the wrong stats so again I went to have another. After 400+ eggs again I had another one. Also did a third Gastly with more or less the same amount of eggs.
Later I went back for a Charmander since I had acquired the Shiny Charm. Still nothing after over 1000 eggs hatched. I gave up and went for a shiny Abra. Over 1000 eggs and I got nothing. Now I went for a Cloyster after 12 eggs I got one with wrong stats. Went again and had over 60 eggs and had another one.
Before I conclude, let me tell you about the secret IDs that we have when the RNG abuse was still working. You are familiar with it right? So I'm not gonna elaborate.
My conclusion, and also a theory, is what if Charmander and Abra didn't match my secret ID, and because it didn't, I have the lowest chance of getting one? Because Gastly and Cloyster matched mine, they have a higher chance of a shiny because of how little the amount of eggs were hatched before finding one. But no matter how many I hatched, Charmander and Abra seem to take too long to hatch a shiny.
What if there are those pokemon who matched our secret IDs and they have a higher change compared to those pokemon who didn't match.
Please take a note about this when you are breeding. It might be something to look at. Still needs more observing and experimenting.

Hello Guys. I think I may have discovered something. You see, way back before I was breeding for a shiny Charmander. After over 500 eggs there was no shiny. I gave up and went for a shiny Gastly instead. After 450 eggs I got a shiny which had the wrong stats so again I went to have another. After 400+ eggs again I had another one. Also did a third Gastly with more or less the same amount of eggs.
Later I went back for a Charmander since I had acquired the Shiny Charm. Still nothing after over 1000 eggs hatched. I gave up and went for a shiny Abra. Over 1000 eggs and I got nothing. Now I went for a Cloyster after 12 eggs I got one with wrong stats. Went again and had over 60 eggs and had another one.
Before I conclude, let me tell you about the secret IDs that we have when the RNG abuse was still working. You are familiar with it right? So I'm not gonna elaborate.
My conclusion, and also a theory, is what if Charmander and Abra didn't match my secret ID, and because it didn't, I have the lowest chance of getting one? Because Gastly and Cloyster matched mine, they have a higher chance of a shiny because of how little the amount of eggs were hatched before finding one. But no matter how many I hatched, Charmander and Abra seem to take too long to hatch a shiny.
What if there are those pokemon who matched our secret IDs and they have a higher change compared to those pokemon who didn't match.
Please take a note about this when you are breeding. It might be something to look at. Still needs more observing and experimenting.
Im not familiar with this. How do you find the Secret ID? 0.o

Note that the secret ID is just an example. It's not necessarily the secret ID. I'm just trying to say that there are those specific pokes which you can hatch a shiny easily and those who takes you maybe 10,000 and still no shiny. It's like there are more pokes who are inclined to your character and will hatch shinnies easily.

Update to #743

Batch 1 (001-100): Shiny Riolu
Batch 2 (101-200): no shinies
Batch 3 (201-300): no shinies
Batch 4 (301-400): no shinies
Batch 5 (401-500): no shinies
Batch 6 (501-600): no shinies
Batch 7 (601-700): no shinies
Batch 8 (701-800): in progress

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think you should try to calm down a little. Its not really anything to argue about. Those of us who HAVE had bad luck were just noting something that we have in common. Whether or not you believe it is unimportant.

If it doesn't make a difference, then it doesn't make a difference and it won't affect this data, no?

Likewise, because people have pointed this out, another study thread has arisen. If the results from that study are similar to the results from this study, we will know that a non-kalos pokemon does not affect the rate. 0.o

Anyway, you shouldn't get irritated about something so silly. But if you're afraid that it will somehow skew the data, then that is something you SHOULD say and explain, of course. It is not your place, however, to tell people what they can and cannot discuss.
It's not silly because this fandom is inherently superstitious and rumors spread quickly. It's like how it took a bit at the beginning of this generation for everyone to realize that Greninja doesn't learn Rapid Spin after a troll spread rumors. We see this already in this thread. If people say "Kalos vs non-Kalos affects rates" pulling it out of their ass, then other people will parrot it elsewhere with no basis. Other people are actually following this thread (I've seen it posted on reddit, first result on Google, etc) and you fail to understand the impact of what you're saying.

If it doesn't make a difference then stop saying it will. I would love to contribute my results somewhere where the parents are differentiated, but the other thread is for non-shiny charm. And you really weren't discussing it, you were making a statement and I took issue with it. Personally, I don't care about the issue itself but I do care when people make baseless comments without seeking any way to prove it because of the reasons mentioned above.

It's not silly because this fandom is inherently superstitious and rumors spread quickly. It's like how it took a bit at the beginning of this generation for everyone to realize that Greninja doesn't learn Rapid Spin after a troll spread rumors. We see this already in this thread. If people say "Kalos vs non-Kalos affects rates" pulling it out of their ass, then other people will parrot it elsewhere with no basis. Other people are actually following this thread (I've seen it posted on reddit, first result on Google, etc) and you fail to understand the impact of what you're saying.

If it doesn't make a difference then stop saying it will. I would love to contribute my results somewhere where the parents are differentiated, but the other thread is for non-shiny charm. And you really weren't discussing it, you were making a statement and I took issue with it. Personally, I don't care about the issue itself but I do care when people make baseless comments without seeking any way to prove it because of the reasons mentioned above.
Nobody said "Kalos vs Non-Kalos affects rates". People only noted that it could be a possibility and could be something to explore in the future. And of course, we noted that since so many people use non-Kalos Ditto it was easily possible that it was just a coincidence that most of us having trouble were.

"If it doesn't make a difference stop saying it will"... OBVIOUSLY we don't know if it makes a difference until we bring it up and discuss it with others and maybe get some results. But no such thing could happen if it weren't discussed or brought up first.

You say that it's a BASELESS rumor, but its not like people pulled it out of their asses. They were just talking about personal experiences shared and in common, even if it was just super bad luck. No conclusion was made either way.

I don't understand how you even think that its REMOTELY related to someone intentionally lying.

If you think you read "Non-Kalos pokemon definitively affect masuda method rates", then I think you need to get your eyes checked. Only the possibility has been noted.

update to #739.
got my first shiny goomy at egg 280! gotta finish hatching these last few eggs( for a total of 330. and then onto diggersby.
at egg 296 i got another shiny! so out of 300 eggs 2 shinies isnt too shabby.

Last edited:
Nobody said "Kalos vs Non-Kalos affects rates". People only noted that it could be a possibility and could be something to explore in the future. And of course, we noted that since so many people use non-Kalos Ditto it was easily possible that it was just a coincidence that most of us having trouble were.

"If it doesn't make a difference stop saying it will"... OBVIOUSLY we don't know if it makes a difference until we bring it up and discuss it with others and maybe get some results. But no such thing could happen if it weren't discussed or brought up first.

You say that it's a BASELESS rumor, but its not like people pulled it out of their asses. They were just talking about personal experiences shared and in common, even if it was just super bad luck. No conclusion was made either way.

I don't understand how you even think that its REMOTELY related to someone intentionally lying.

If you think you read "Non-Kalos pokemon definitively affect masuda method rates", then I think you need to get your eyes checked. Only the possibility has been noted.
Sadly I ran into the same argument yesterday on the facebook page for swapping FCs. I asked for a 6iv JPN ditto from the Kalos region and this guy commented and was a total prick about it. He said the same things about having no definitive proof and spreading rumors about something that wasnt true because it hasnt been confirmed by nintendo. Well obviously nintendo has no clue about all the breeding mechanics and the Pokedex book they just released proves it. Its basically a useless book i wouldnt recommend it. It does have some other useful tips but no where near the info these types of threads with their experiments have obtained. Plus it only has the Dex for the Kalos region. Not the full National Dex. Anyways I told him the same thing you did and said I was just trying to avoid the theory and never said it was true. Just a theory, a possibility. He basically said I was being stupid believing in threads. In the End I just told him to leave me alone and to let me believe what i want. It only effects me and no one else, so why argue anymore?

Update to post #719

Batch # 2- Completed
1 Shiny Noibat out of 300 collected and then hatched eggs.

Updating doc now.

Yes! another shiny :) at egg #875. gonna finish my 3rd batch of 330 then ill update spreadsheet and post. I think this shows non-kalos doesnt effect the odds. But maybe the idea of the secret ID could still be a possibility

Yes! another shiny :) at egg #875. gonna finish my 3rd batch of 330 then ill update spreadsheet and post. I think this shows non-kalos doesnt effect the odds. But maybe the idea of the secret ID could still be a possibility
I figured Id touch upon this since apparently rapirap wasnt around for Instacheck Hotspot. Secret ID's before Gen 6 were assigned to each Trainer at the start of their journey and each Pokemon that was generated in the game would have one of their own as well. If the trainers Secret ID and the Pokemons secret ID matched AT THE TIME the Pokemon was GENERATED, it would be a SHINY Pokemon. It had nothing to do with the parents being bred having the correct or incorrect regular ID(trainers ID) or Secret ID. Correct me if Im wrong on this account, but I have used RNG reporter for gen 5 extensively, and havent had to actually read up on Secret IDs for some time.

Now, in X and Y, both the trainer ID and Secret ID still exist. HOWEVER, they now come together to get something called a "Shiny Value". Each trainer (AND Pokemon generated throughout the game) has a randomly generated "Shiny Value" based on their ID and SID, with the trainers ID/SID/SV being generated/locked at the start of the game. Shiny Value works exactly like a Secret ID did in the past, but just adds an extra step for the game to create shinies, while still allowing for large enough variance in the numbers in either IDs so people have a tiny probability of getting the same IDs as another person. So, in conclusion, Shiny Value now determines shininess, if a trainers SV and a newly generated Pokemons SV match, the Pokemon is shiny. The ID's of parent Pokemon during breeding have no effect on whether you roll a shiny or not. Again, correct me if Im wrong on any of my information.

Exactly 400 eggs in I have hatched one shiny, at egg 211.
Will continue until 1000 or higher and continue posting results.

could be....i've done like almost 900eggs on Roselia no shiny obtained.... 80+ eggs on Kricketot (1x shiny) and 80+ eggs on Blitze (1x shiny) and now working on Yamask (reaching 1k eggs no shiny...)

hi! i'm currently trying to mm, about 60 eggs in. i've just heard a lot of rumours about non-kalos parents, and i brought my japanese 6iv ditto over from gen v. did the country of origin somehow become null when it was sent through?

edit:

could anyone trade me some sort of parent for my eevee so that i can properly contribute to the findings? i'm worried that my ditto isn't valid for MM anymore since pokebank transfer, or that maybe kalos born pokemon are better.

Last edited:
I got bored of hatching Treecko, so I started to go back to work with making my competitive team. After 33 eggs of Heracross with either the wrong ivs or the wrong ability, egg #34 hatched shiny. I was really surprised to see a pink Heracross on my screen, especially after over 1800 Trreckos with the same Ditto. Technically this is Masuda method, so would I contribute this to the results or not? Either way, I'm pretty happy it's Adamant with 31/31/31/31/31/21, the low speed doesn't bother me that much, I can just invest more evs into speed and scarf him.

Could I have one with HA? :D

Update to #738
Batch 1 (1-100): One shiny
Batch 2 (101-200): No shinies
Batch 3 (201-300): No shinies
Batch 4 (301-400): No shinies
Batch 5 (401-500): No shinies
Batch 6 (501-600): No shinies
Batch 7 (601-700): No shinies

Updating spreadsheet.

To those of you speculating on the kalos born vs non-kalos born parents, I've hatched the second most eggs on the spreadsheet (25 short of 4,000 but I'm taking a break). I have been using a non-Kalos father with a kalos born mother the entire time, and my rate is currently 1:397. I've gone 1200 eggs without getting a shiny, but have also gotten two shinies within 100 of each other. My batch reports are back on page 5 if you're interested in my exact hatching frequency, but the point is that those of you who are 1k eggs deep and still haven't hatched a shiny are just having bad luck. Keep calm and continue breeding, and eventually you'll get your shiny.

To those of you speculating on the kalos born vs non-kalos born parents, I've hatched the second most eggs on the spreadsheet (25 short of 4,000 but I'm taking a break). I have been using a non-Kalos father with a kalos born mother the entire time, and my rate is currently 1:397. I've gone 1200 eggs without getting a shiny, but have also gotten two shinies within 100 of each other. My batch reports are back on page 5 if you're interested in my exact hatching frequency, but the point is that those of you who are 1k eggs deep and still haven't hatched a shiny are just having bad luck. Keep calm and continue breeding, and eventually you'll get your shiny.
So do u really believe that the Shiny Charm works?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)