Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

The MM rate is already known, so data without the shiny charm isn't really needed.
I'm aware of that. I'm referring to testing whether MM works by region or by language.

Also, how are we sure of what the MM rate is this gen? It changed between 4th and 5th so, unless someone's already tested it, how can we be sure of what it is? Even the first post says that he's making an assumption about it.

Last edited:
I'm aware of that. I'm referring to testing whether MM works by region or by language.

Also, how are we sure of what the MM rate is this gen? It changed between 4th and 5th so, unless someone's already tested it, how can we be sure of what it is? Even the first post says that he's making an assumption about it.
Ah, I was under the assumption the rate was already known. Regardless, this isn't a thread about breeding with just the Masuda Method; you're free to start another thread for your own testing purposes, though.

I can help as well. I'll pledge 100 eggs for now, and I'll pledge more as I hit my milestones.
I'm breeding for shiny smeargle, with a 5IV female smeargle x 6IV Jp. Ditto
EDIT:
Since I've gotten so far anyway, I'll up my pledge to 1000, since I'm going to want to continue even if I get the Swinub I want before I hit 1000.

I do have the shiny charm
EDIT:
100 eggs (no shiny, 16 5iv (31/31/31/x/31/31), 1 6iv)
200 eggs (no shiny, haven't checked ivs on last 20, but as of 180, 12 5iv, 1 6iv)
Egg #227 was shiny, Own Tempo, Jolly, 31/31/31/x/31/31

Switching to Swinub now
100 eggs (1-100)- no shiny
200 eggs (101-200)- Egg #108 was shiny, Oblivious, Adamant, 31/31/31/31/31/0
I've been updating the spreadsheet, but not my post as I've pressed on. So far I'm at 1344 total for Swinub (1571 total), with no shinies hatched since egg 340.
Shiny hatched at egg 1842! (1615 total for swinub), Thick Fat, Adamant, 31/31/31/x/31/31

Switched to Charmander.
Parents are Charmander (male, blaze, timid, 31/x/31/31/31/31) and 6iv ditto
180 eggs hatched so far, with no shiny

Took a brief hiatus, but I'm back with another shiny to report, I hatched a shiny Fletchling on egg #655, but it had the wrong ability, so I'll be continuing on.
Another imperfect shiny hatched at egg 876
Another shiny hatched at egg 951, this time, looking a lot more promising!
Adamant, Gale Wings, (31/12-13/31/x/31/31) Good enough for me!

Moved on to phase two of my Charmander hunt, egg 319 was shiny!
Timid, Blaze, (x/x/31/31/31/31) also female, which is kind of cool.

Last edited:
I'm new to smogon, actually joined to partake in this study, so I don't know how to update a prior post, but I did my 100 that I pledged. Egg # 46 was a shiny Skitty with hp and speed IVs I will continue in blocks of 100 and update as I hit marks.

I'm new to smogon, actually joined to partake in this study, so I don't know how to update a prior post, but I did my 100 that I pledged. Egg # 46 was a shiny Skitty with hp and speed IVs I will continue in blocks of 100 and update as I hit marks.
if you go to your post there should be an option to edit :)

Hey guys, just signed up to help with this, as I'm very curious about how the charm works this gen. I'm not new to smogon, but I never made an account till now. Anyways, I got my shiny charm and a Japanese Togetic, so I'm gonna be hatchin' some togepi eggs. I've also got 3 others I'm interested in at the moment, so chances are I can contribute a good number of eggs to the study.

To start out though, I can pledge 100 eggs to the study. :)

EDIT: 200 togepi eggs and one shiny.
916 Ralts eggs and one shiny.
351 Larvesta eggs, one shiny

Last edited:
Hey, I'd be willing to set up the Google doc for recording our data, first thing when I get up tomorrow. Also, I haven't updated my post yet, but I'm seeing more results. Will do that tomorrow as well. And Thirdbird, it would be great if you could post your latest table, so I can put up the most up to date data.

I'll contribute 200 Deino eggs. I will update this post with my results. Also, I do have Shiny Charm.

Edit: Batch 100 - One Shiny
Edit: Batch 200 - Zero

Last edited:
I'll help contribute. Doing batches of 100. Soon as I get a shiny, I'll switch Pokémon. Of course I got the shiny charm, or I wouldn't be doing this...

1-13-14 Batch 1 - 0 Shiny
1-14-14 Batch 2 - 0 Shiny
1-14-14 Batch 3 - 0 Shiny

Total - 300 eggs/ 0 Shinies

Last edited:
Just making sure everyone realises this - we are ONLY interested in your results if you have obtained the Shiny Charm. For ease of making sure everyone understands, please use 'Shiny Charm' somewhere in your post so we know you completely understand. As much as we appreciate everyone offering to hatch eggs, you're only hindering our results by providing data without owning the Shiny Charm.

I decided to make an extra batch of 100 Mawile eggs, before changing the couple:

JAP male Mawile 5 IVs x ENG female Mawile 5IVs

100 eggs: shiny at #6 (intimidate adamant 31/31/31/x/31/31 n.n)

Lucky again! I'm getting 1 shiny each 250 eggs approximately with shiny charm. Now I'm going to try for a shiny Noibat; planning to hatch 200 eggs. Will be using JAP & ENG 5iv Noibats. Dont want to use dittos for masuda or any other combination besides JAP x ENG.

I finished my 100 togepi eggs with no shinies, so I'll be hatching another 100 eggs, which I'll amend in my first post.

Also, if I get the shiny on say, egg 134, is it ok if I switch the parents and start looking for something else right away or does that screw up the data?

Last edited:
Dug out my log in info from years ago so I could contribute to this. I got the Shiny Charm earlier this week and hatched a Vulpix in 440 eggs, although part of those were done before I had the Charm, so the results can't be counted for this since I don't know exactly how many came after the Charm was obtained. I would, however, like to pledge eggs from my current project, in batches of 100, like others have been doing. My current project is:

Spanish Ditto (2 IVs) x English Riolu (5 IVs) with Shiny Charm
Spanish Ditto (2 IVs) x English Aipom (5 IVs) with Shiny Charm

Batch 1 (100 eggs) no shiny
Batch 2 (100 eggs) no shiny
Batch 3 (100 eggs) no shiny
Batch 4 (100 eggs) no shiny
Batch 5 (100 eggs)
shiny Riolu (Egg #405) (switched to Aipom after shiny hatched)

Will update this post and report back on my progress. Good luck to everyone else helping research this!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)