Shiny Hunting Methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
approved by: shiny finder :psyglad:

In Pokémon Sword and Shield, there are several ways a Trainer can obtain shiny Pokémon. In this guide I will discuss each method in which shiny Pokémon can be found!

Method 1: Breeding

Breeding has been the go to method for breeding competitive Pokémon or shiny ones too! In Generation VIII, the shiny odds are 1/4096 without the Shiny Charm, but if you have it the odds are 1/683, which are much better odds. If you have both the Masuda Method + Shiny Charm, the odds improve once again to 1/512. If you wish to know where or how to obtain the necessary charm item please refer to this as it will show you. The general run down is you would need two parents with different language tags. This allows you to activate the Masuda Method. More information about breeding can be found here. Finally, to make the most out of breeding two key items would be worth getting and that is the Destiny Knot + the Everstone. The Destiny Knot is within the Hammerlocke Pokémon Center and costs 10 BP, which can be purchased by talking to the League Staff NPC. Lastly, the Everstone can be found outside the Turrfield Gym.

Method 2: Random Encounters

Fishing

Fishing has once again reeled us in to catch shiny Pokémon. These bubble-like locations appear all throughout Galar, and we can use these to reel in some amazing Pokémon. In order to give yourself the best possible chance having a Pokémon with the ability Sticky Hold can greatly help such as Gastrodon.

Camp Method

For this method it can be any static Pokémon (e.g. Virizion in the Crown Tundra). Therefore, to get this to work you need to KO or run away from it. Then from there you save, enter camp, and then leave immediately. The Pokémon will then spawn on-top of you and the nature and IVs will be completely random once again. This is a sure-fire way to have a fast and hopefully painless soft-reset of a wild Pokémon. However, for "Strong" encounters we need to use the Den Exploit, since the Camp method does not work for them, which will be explained below!

Den Exploit + Strong Encounters (Wild Area)

Strong encounters are Pokémon that appear under certain weather conditions or after you have progressed to a certain point. Now in order to effectively use the above method with the Den Exploit, the following steps are required:

1. Toss a Wishing Piece into a Den
  2. Select "Invite Others" and then press the Home button on the Switch
  3. Go to System Settings and then System
  4. Select Date and Time (be sure Synchronize Clock via Internet is off)
  5. Move the day forward once and head back in-game
  6. Cancel searching and head to spawn location
  7. Save, close game, and reopen it
Strong Encounters
  1. Find your Strong Spawn (for example, Zoroark in the Loop Lagoon; you can manipulate weather to find the one you want)
  2. Take note of the exact point that it spawned.
  3. Get into battle with it and de-spawn it.
  4. Go to the nearest Den and follow the Den Exploit
  5. Go back to the exact point that it spawned.
  6. Save
  7. Close your game. If you are looking for a weather-specific Pokemon, such as Zoroark which appears during the fog, be sure to go back a day.
Now upon each soft reset everything regarding the target Pokemon will be new. Its IVs, nature, and whether it is shiny or not.

Team Options

In order to give yourself the best possible chance at catching these Pokémon, it is recommended to have the following:
  • A strong sweeper such as Pangoro with Scrappy and False Swipe.
  • A Pokémon with Trick + Safety Goggles
    • This ensures that weather-based damage does not KO your target (hail or sand).
    • You can also change the weather to sun or rain; can also extend with the Heat or Damp Rock.
  • A Trevanant with a Leppa Berry + Bestow + Skill Swap + Harvest
    • This enables us to ensure that the Pokémon does not get KOed should it run out of moves.
    • This works best when the target is not within hail or sand. (e.g. Regieleki or Regidrago in Crown Tundra)
  • Sleep Inducers: Amoonguss, Venusaur, and Buttefree; Amoongus is the best sleep inducer thanks to Spore being 100% accurate.
  • Terrain
    • Electric / Misty Terrain block sleep so that a Terrain setter that can set up Psychic Terrain can be useful to bypass it.
Method 3: Dynamax Adventure

In the Crown Tundra, you can potentially find more Pokémon shiny within the Dynamax Adventure. Here the odds of finding shiny Pokémon are 1/300 (without charm) and 1/100 (with charm). Within the Dynamax Cave the catch rate is guaranteed, so any Ball works. Some tips to save yourself Poké Dollars and headache:
  • Swap Pokémon only when you need to.
    • Especially when they are low on health.
    • Each time you face a new Max Pokemon this is a good time to switch if needed
  • Try to go to the berry piles, as these can restore some of the Pokemon's health
There are a few things that also need to be kept in mind while you grind through the Dynamax Adventure:
  • Knock-out counter
    • Upon accumulating four KOs you will be thrown out of the cave.
  • Pay close attention to the typing
    • this ensure that you pick the best possible Pokemon to tackle the Legendary at the end.
  • Choose one Pokemon
    • After the Boss Pokemon has been captured you can choose to take one or decline.
  • Encounter
    • When encountering the Dynamax Adventure (DA) Pokemon, they will not appear shiny upon encounter. Only at the end of the DA will it show if they are shiny.
  • Paths:
    • 3 is the maximum number of paths you can save for a specific legendary

The following was mentioned by wishes (and Meteordash):
  1. Set a target legendary, and find a den with a Pokemon that is beneficial to defeating the final boss such as a Nidoking in a Nihilego path.
  2. Play through the Dynamax Adventure as usual.
  3. Once on the summary screen where you can see if you've found any shinies; if nothing shines reset.
  4. Re-enter the same path and the Pokemon will remain the same.
    • If you wish to have a different "starter" have friends' that you can coordinate with, as it is determined upon whoever clicks "Invite Others."

As with everything there is a minor penalty. Upon resetting twice you get scolded, but from the third time and beyond (capping at 10) you are charged the number of ores for the number of resets, which means once you hit 10 you are charged that many Dynite Ores from then on. However, once you catch your Pokémon the penalty will be lifted.

Shiny Locks

The following Pokémon can not be shiny under any condition(s):
  • The Starters (these can be breed later on)
  • The Box Legends (Zacian-C + Zamazenta-C)
  • Eternatus
  • Type: Null
Crown Tundra + Isle of Armor
  • Kubfu
  • Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno (Galar formes)
  • Calyrex (Spectrier + Glastrier)
  • Keldeo
  • Poipole (requires you to catch five Ultra Beasts + Necrozma)
  • Cosmog

Last edited:

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
$hi shiny finder this is pretty much done. Not sure what else could be added since this is a "catch all" kind of guide and does not really need to go in-depth as we had discussed. Therefore, if I need to add anything else let me know weeb. :) :psyglad: Fishing stuff might be a little lack luster but not sure what else to add. If I think of anything will do it.

edit 2: I will add w/e in the morning.

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
this is a "catch all" kind of guide and does not really need to go in-depth as we had discussed.
I'm still fine with that sentiment, but I think we need to get a little more bulk here. Right now it's basically just "these are the odds for each encounter method".

M1:

Would be better to say that you need parents with 2 different language tags. Those need not be your native. Not much use re-inventing the wheel here, so linking to the wishes guide is prob fine. If there's anything you feel like you could add onto it, then that would be a good addition.

M2:

Talked with anubis, and until we can sort out the actual numbers, I'm a bit hesitant to put numbers to chaining. This is the only official source on the matter that ik of. That tweet/table from kaph exists, but there is question as to its accuracy. As far as that goes, you kinda touch on it but I think there are ways to expound on what does/doesn't break the chain.

The steps here seem a bit over explaining, but I suppose it's not wrong. If you want to talk about weather mons, a table of the weather dates would be nice.

I'd move M4 up to M2. There's not enough there to have that bit it's own section, and fishing is just REs. Not sure there's really enough there atm to be a subsection to M2 even.

DA

Coming up with a way to expand that would be great. Two sentences is not enough for a major section. Any strategies or mechanics that would serve useful here for grinding DA? Tips for most efficient farming?

==========================

Suggested additional topics (in addition to above):
  • Square vs star
  • Shiny locks
  • Efficient game settings
  • Reg Raids (raid RNG)
  • Team options: Catchers, abilities, etc
  • Camp method to resetting legends (anubis has a tweet somewhere)
  • Useful items to have/where to get them.
  • Brilliant vs shiny?

Hello! I'd like to offer a suggestion for quick Dynamax Adventure shiny hunting. Once a path has been generated, it will remain until the boss is cleared. What this means is that you can find a great path (for example, a Nidoking in a Nihilego path) and reach the summary at the end to see if any Pokemon are shiny. If not, then you can reset the game before either accepting or denying any Pokemon and the path will remain the same. Another addition to this is the Pokemon that you pick at the very beginning will remain constant as well – if your first choice is Passimian, restarting the game will always have Passimian as a choice. Here is the cycle in an easier-to-follow order:

1. Set a target legendary, and find a den with a Pokemon that is beneficial to defeating the final boss.
  3. Once on the summary screen where you can see if you've found any shinies, and if nothing shines, reset by closing the game.

There is a penalty of Dynite Ore for resetting, however. For the first two resets, you will only be scolded, for the third you will be charged 3 Ore, then 4, 5, 6, as you keep resetting, until it caps at 10. Every reset after this cap will always be a 10 Dynite Ore penalty. This penalty will be removed once you've finished the path (and hopefully got your shiny)! This isn't a big deal when you consider that this Ore can be found in Raid Dens, and after playing lots of Dynamax Adventures, you will likely have a stockpile anyway. Worth noting though, as there is a fee. Regardless, this makes hunting for specific shinies much quicker since you're aware of what Pokemon are in the path, and you can optimize it as necessary.

Huge shoutouts to Meteordash for helping me with this post!

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
Hello! I'd like to offer a suggestion for quick Dynamax Adventure shiny hunting. Once a path has been generated, it will remain until the boss is cleared. What this means is that you can find a great path (for example, a Nidoking in a Nihilego path) and reach the summary at the end to see if any Pokemon are shiny. If not, then you can reset the game before either accepting or denying any Pokemon and the path will remain the same. Another addition to this is the Pokemon that you pick at the very beginning will remain constant as well – if your first choice is Passimian, restarting the game will always have Passimian as a choice. Here is the cycle in an easier-to-follow order:

1. Set a target legendary, and find a den with a Pokemon that is beneficial to defeating the final boss.
  3. Once on the summary screen where you can see if you've found any shinies, and if nothing shines, reset by closing the game.

There is a penalty of Dynite Ore for resetting, however. For the first two resets, you will only be scolded, for the third you will be charged 3 Ore, then 4, 5, 6, as you keep resetting, until it caps at 10. Every reset after this cap will always be a 10 Dynite Ore penalty. This penalty will be removed once you've finished the path (and hopefully got your shiny)! This isn't a big deal when you consider that this Ore can be found in Raid Dens, and after playing lots of Dynamax Adventures, you will likely have a stockpile anyway. Worth noting though, as there is a fee. Regardless, this makes hunting for specific shinies much quicker since you're aware of what Pokemon are in the path, and you can optimize it as necessary.

Huge shoutouts to Meteordash for helping me with this post!
Hi hi, thanks so much to you both! I have been somewhat busy with stuff IRL. I appreciate the feedback and I will implement it ASAP!!! :psyglad:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
re: discord ping
Only additional thing I thought of that wasn't in my OP was the fact that for REs, the recommended Pokemon in your dex has boosted encounter rates. If you want an actual number to this (not strictly required imo), I'd ask anubis since she pioneered this method.

Save and then toss a Wishing Piece into a Den (Purple Beam)
Don't really need the (Purple Beam) here.

Knock-out counter
  • Once any Pokemon (yours or NPCs) get KOed times you will be thrown out of the cave.
Missing a word aside, would change this to something like "Once your team accumulates four faints during the Adventure, ...". Rn it sounds like a single mon has to faint 4 times. Maybe also mention the 10 turn fail?

At the end after the Legendary has been captured you must choose only one Pokemon to keep, whereas the others are left behind
Would change to say "you can only choose up to 1 Pokemon to keep, whereas the others..." or smth similar since you don't have to take any.

Additional stuff that might be good to add to DAs:
  • Pokemon will not appear shiny during the fights, only once you are able to choose one to keep.
  • You can save up to 3 paths for specific legendaries.
  • Once you keep a legendary (whether that's from a raid you host or join), you will not be able to catch another. You can ultimately resave the path and fight it again, but you will not have the option of catching it. Can keep as many normal mons as you like.
  • Going off of wishes' advice, if you join someone's path and you don't like your chances of winning, you can reset and have someone else host to have different Pokemon options. The host is determined by whoever clicks "Invite Others" first. Obv best to do with people you can coordinate with and still subject to the bail fee.
Additional shiny locks (c/p from our hack check thread, you have a good number of these already). Ftr, you don't need all this info, was just too lazy to filter out the mon names:
  • Gift Pokemon: Starters, Toxel, Type: Null, 4*Fossils and the Gigantamax Charmander/Pikachu/Eevee
    • Of all the gifts available, only the fossils can be shiny.
    • Galar starters have random IVs.
    • Gigantamax Pikachu/Eevee have ALL flawless IVs.
    • Everything else have 3 flawless IVs.
  • New gift Pokémon as of Isle of Armor: Porygon, Kubfu, Gmax Bulbasaur/Squirtle, Alolan Meowth, Alolan Vulpix, Alolan Sandshrew, Alolan Raichu, Alolan Marowak, Alolan Exeggutor, Alolan Diglett, Kanto Slowpoke, Alolan Starters
    • All are shiny locked
  • Crown Tundra static legends: Galarian Articuno, Galarian Zapdos, Galarian Moltres, Keldeo, Cosmog, Poipole, Glastrier, Spectrier, Calyrex, all of the 6 Regis, Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion
    • Only the 6 Regis, Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion are able to be shiny.
    • The others are shiny locked.
    • All of the above are guaranteed 3 perfect IVs.
  • Legendaries (Zacian, Zamazenta, Eternatus) are guaranteed 3 31 IVs, but are shiny locked.

Pinging Christian Tatertot Kanon90 Max. Optimizer wishes Skadiv Hare_vs_Tortoise or whoever else for any additional feedback they may have.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As promised, here's my QC:
  1. I agree with wishes when they say that you can use both Suction Cups Pokémon and Sticky Hold Pokémon. Suction Cups Pokémon that can be found in the Galar region include Octillery, Lileep, Cradily, Inkay, and Malamar. Sticky Hold Pokémon that can be found in the Galar region include Shellos, Gastrodon, Trubbish, and Accelgor.
  2. "Fishing has once again reeled us in to catch shiny Pokémon." I love the funny approach here, it definitely adds a bit of character to an otherwise informative guide.
  3. "Toss a Wishing Piece into a Den." Honestly, I feel like, while humor is okay and welcome, the guide shouldn't become too "informal". I think you should just use "Use a Wishing Piece at a Den" or something along the lines of that.
  4. Maybe it could be worth plugging our sub-forum and/or Discord as places where these catcher Pokémon are freely redistributable and shared among fellow shiny hunters.
  5. "you can potentially find more Pokémon shiny" This is more of a GP thing, but the adjective comes before the noun.
  6. "Within the Dynamax Cave the catch rate is guaranteed" I think it'd be better to say "Within the Dynamax Lair, a catch rate of 100% is guaranteed" or "Within the Cynamax Lair, the capture of the Pokémon is always guaranteed".
  7. While on the topic, I think it'd be better to use the official name of "Dynamax Lair", as opposed to "Dynamax Cave".
  8. Maybe it could be worth mentioning that Peonia finds paths and you can purchase them for a small fee of Dynite Ore. (5, I think?) It can potentially help finding your target legendary Pokémon faster.
  9. It could be worth mentioning that, when breeding, the chances for square shinies are 1/16, whereas the chances are 15/16 when it comes to wild encounters.
That's all I've got for now.
Hopefully, you'll find these suggestions useful.

Good job thus far, keep it up!

Last edited:

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
re: discord ping
Only additional thing I thought of that wasn't in my OP was the fact that for REs, the recommended Pokemon in your dex has boosted encounter rates. If you want an actual number to this (not strictly required imo), I'd ask anubis since she pioneered this method.

Don't really need the (Purple Beam) here.

Missing a word aside, would change this to something like "Once your team accumulates four faints during the Adventure, ...". Rn it sounds like a single mon has to faint 4 times. Maybe also mention the 10 turn fail?

Would change to say "you can only choose up to 1 Pokemon to keep, whereas the others..." or smth similar since you don't have to take any.

Additional stuff that might be good to add to DAs:
  • Pokemon will not appear shiny during the fights, only once you are able to choose one to keep.
  • You can save up to 3 paths for specific legendaries.
  • Once you keep a legendary (whether that's from a raid you host or join), you will not be able to catch another. You can ultimately resave the path and fight it again, but you will not have the option of catching it. Can keep as many normal mons as you like.
  • Going off of wishes' advice, if you join someone's path and you don't like your chances of winning, you can reset and have someone else host to have different Pokemon options. The host is determined by whoever clicks "Invite Others" first. Obv best to do with people you can coordinate with and still subject to the bail fee.
Additional shiny locks (c/p from our hack check thread, you have a good number of these already). Ftr, you don't need all this info, was just too lazy to filter out the mon names:

Pinging Christian Tatertot Kanon90 Max. Optimizer wishes Skadiv Hare_vs_Tortoise or whoever else for any additional feedback they may have.
I forgot about the fossils lol I will edit the extra info in tonight. Oh and also do you think it is worth to put in parenthesis where some of the mons are located (e.g. Type: Null) as I am not sure if most users know where some are.

Last edited:
Fishing

In order to give yourself the best possible chance having a Pokémon with the ability Sticky Hold can greatly help such as Octillery or Cradily.​
Why? I understand that it increases the odds of a Pokemon being fished, but I think clarifying this to the reader is beneficial. Also, neither of these Pokemon have Sticky Hold; they have Suction Cups. They are identical in their functions so it's not a big deal, but Sticky Hold users would be Shellos/Gastrodon, Trubbish, or Accelgor if you wanted to opt for those instead.

Strong Encounters (Wild Area) + Den Exploit

Save and then toss a Wishing Piece into a Den (Purple Beam)​

Beams can be either Red (common/event) or Purple (rare).

I'm not sure why it stops at point 8. What is the next step? Date skip until you find a shiny? What is the objective? Linking to sf's guide on Raid RNG might also be helpful here.

It's confusing to me that this section mentions Strong Spawns, yet the focus is how to exploit Dens. There is a method to hunting Strong Spawns that you can use for shiny hunting, but it is not listed. It goes as follows:
  1. Find your Strong Spawn (for example, Zoroark in the Loop Lagoon; you can manipulate weather to find the one you want, which you briefly mentioned).
  4. Go to the nearest Den and follow the Den Exploit you've listed.
  6. Save on this spot.
  7. Close your game. If you are looking for a weather-specific Pokemon, such as Zoroark which appears during the fog, be sure to go back a day.
Now every time you launch your game you will be spawning the Strong Spawn you desired. It will be individual (as in, it is a new Pokemon every time – IVs, shininess, natures, the whole deal) every time.
Team Options
  • A strong sweeper such as Haxorus or Weavile. This can largely depend on target.
    • Having them with False Swipe
I would suggest Pangoro over both of these options. Scrappy False Swipe is very valuable, and Haxorus and Weavile are much frailer meaning they're more risky. Slow and steady is more consistent imo.
    • This ensures that weather-based damage does not KO your target (hail or sand).
This feels a bit over-complicated. A Pokemon with Sunny Day or Rain Dance accomplishes this (Pangoro also learns these). Weather does however come back in the Wild Areas after the 5 turns are up so I can see the appeal of Safety Goggles, but I think it's worth noting that you can manually change weather as well.

This doesn't account for terrain either. Misty Terrain and Electric Terrain block sleep, which is vital imo, and Grassy Terrain prevents Pokemon from staying at 1 health. I would recommend mentioning that a Psychic Terrain user would be helpful for this reason.
  • Sleep Inducers: Venusaur, Butterfree, or Amoongus
    • Allows better odds of catching target
I would recommend highlighting that Amoongus is usually the best pick here. Out of the sleep-inducing moves these Pokemon have, only Spore is 100% accurate, which puts it leagues above the others in my eyes.

I would make a small note that 3/100 and 1/100 rolls for each Pokemon. A common misconception is that the odds are 1/25 which is not the case; each Pokemon has a 1/100 chance.

There are a few things that also need to be kept in mine while you grind through the Dynamax Adventure:​
Small note – this should be mind.

The following was mentioned by Wishes (and Meteordash):​
Literally the smallest thing in the world but could you make my username lowercase here please? :heart:

In this section I would also note that finding a good path, such as the Nidoking example I provided in my earlier post, is most optimal to reset on.

Shiny Locks

Would put Kubfu first since it seems jarring to have all CT mons then the single IoA mon lodged in the middle. Not a big deal at all, just a very minimal thing that caught my eye.

This is a very useful article overall, and I think that it is very clear and easy to follow! Hope this feedback was helpful in some capacity.

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
Fishing

In order to give yourself the best possible chance having a Pokémon with the ability Sticky Hold can greatly help such as Octillery or Cradily.​
Why? I understand that it increases the odds of a Pokemon being fished, but I think clarifying this to the reader is beneficial. Also, neither of these Pokemon have Sticky Hold; they have Suction Cups. They are identical in their functions so it's not a big deal, but Sticky Hold users would be Shellos/Gastrodon, Trubbish, or Accelgor if you wanted to opt for those instead.

Strong Encounters (Wild Area) + Den Exploit

Save and then toss a Wishing Piece into a Den (Purple Beam)​

Beams can be either Red (common/event) or Purple (rare).

I'm not sure why it stops at point 8. What is the next step? Date skip until you find a shiny? What is the objective? Linking to sf's guide on Raid RNG might also be helpful here.

It's confusing to me that this section mentions Strong Spawns, yet the focus is how to exploit Dens. There is a method to hunting Strong Spawns that you can use for shiny hunting, but it is not listed. It goes as follows:
  1. Find your Strong Spawn (for example, Zoroark in the Loop Lagoon; you can manipulate weather to find the one you want, which you briefly mentioned).
  4. Go to the nearest Den and follow the Den Exploit you've listed.
  6. Save on this spot.
Now every time you launch your game you will be spawning the Strong Spawn you desired. It will be individual (as in, it is a new Pokemon every time – IVs, shininess, natures, the whole deal) every time.
Team Options

• A strong sweeper such as Haxorus or Weavile. This can largely depend on target.
    • Having them with False Swipe
I would suggest Pangoro over both of these options. Scrappy False Swipe is very valuable, and Haxorus and Weavile are much weaker meaning they're more risky. Slow and steady is more consistent imo.
This feels a bit over-complicated. A Pokemon with Sunny Day or Rain Dance accomplishes this (Pangoro also learns these). Weather does however come back in the Wild Areas after the 5 turns are up so I can see the appeal of Safety Goggles, but I think it's worth noting that you can manually change weather as well.

This doesn't account for terrain either. Misty Terrain and Electric Terrain block sleep, which is vital imo, and Grassy Terrain prevents Pokemon from staying at 1 health. I would recommend mentioning that a Psychic Terrain user would be helpful for this reason.
  • Sleep Inducers: Venusaur, Butterfree, or Amoongus
    • Allows better odds of catching target
I would recommend highlighting that Amoongus is usually the best pick here. Out of the sleep-inducing moves these Pokemon have, only Spore is 100% accurate, which puts it leagues above the others in my eyes.

I would make a small note that 3/100 and 1/100 rolls for each Pokemon. A common misconception is that the odds are 1/25 which is not the case; each Pokemon has a 1/100 chance.

There are a few things that also need to be kept in mine while you grind through the Dynamax Adventure:​
Small note – this should be mind.

The following was mentioned by Wishes (and Meteordash):​
Literally the smallest thing in the world but could you make my username lowercase here please? :heart:

In this section I would also note that finding a good path, such as the Nidoking example I provided in my earlier post, is most optimal to reset on.

Shiny Locks

Would put Kubfu first since it seems jarring to have all CT mons then the single IoA mon lodged in the middle. Not a big deal at all, just a very minimal thing that caught my eye.

This is a very useful article overall, and I think that it is very clear and easy to follow! Hope this feedback was helpful in some capacity.
Thanks as always! I will implement ASAP. Most likely this evening and it in the coming days. (And sure I will lowercase your name) :blobthumbsup:

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
Oooookay wishes

Just to make sure I understand; this means that EVERY Pokémon has a 1:100 chance of being shiny regardless if you have the Shiny Charm or not?
All of your comments have been extremely helpful, and I wish I had known you knew a lot about the DA. n_n Finally, sf's and your comments have been implemented I even lowercased the "W" as it is what you wished get it wi—grabbed low hangin' fruit...

Oooookay wishes

Just to make sure I understand; this means that EVERY Pokémon has a 1:100 chance of being shiny regardless if you have the Shiny Charm or not?
All of your comments have been extremely helpful, and I wish I had known you knew a lot about the DA. n_n Finally, sf's and your comments have been implemented I even lowercased the "W" as it is what you wished get it wi—grabbed low hangin' fruit...
That is with the Shiny Charm. 1/100. Every Pokémon, all four you catch, roll for it. Some have thought it to be 1/25 because it could be seen as 100/4, but that's not how it works. The same applies to 3/100. It rolls for every four; it's 4 3/100 rolls.

Last edited:
Ended up with a bit more than I thought I would.

Nature Synchronization

Something that I think needs including is nature sync'ing as it won't be possible for all methods like dens and dynamax adventures. Also a mention if nature sync'ing will still work if the Pokemon doing the job is fainted is probably a good idea to cover very new players.

Not sure if it fainting the nature sync will be stackable with chain fishing and fainting the Suction Cups Pokemon as well though so that probably needs checking.

Fishing

Think this section needs more detail on the how to side of things or at least a link to the Gen 6 chain fishing guide. The lead Pokemon's ability should be Suction Cups according to the article as well and it also mentions that a Smoke Ball should be used. Don't know though if you have to KO or if just running away in Gen 8 will maintain the chain though as haven't looked into the differences between Gen 6 & 8 for chain fishing so think that should be included. Also a mention of if the Suction Cups mon can be fainted and the ability will still work would be a good idea.

Other shiny hunting methods

Curry shiny hunting
- think it's tied to the happiness/sociability of the Pokemon in the party camping in order to draw Pokemon into the camp. Don't know the rates or the exact method though.

Tree shiny hunting - simple tree shaking but results will vary by location so worth mentioning. No idea what the rates are or about nature sync.

Wanderers aka Pokemon like the Route 5 Eldegoss. Should be possible to nature sync them but best to check and I think the rate is the standard shiny one. Found a list on Bulbapedia of these - https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wanderer but doesn't seem to include any of them in the DLC content as Wailord is missing for a start.

Random note

Harvest doesn't work when a berry has been bestowed so maybe worth mentioning that more than one Trevanant may be needed.

Edit:

Spawn definition (needs a bit of work)

Symbol encounters are any spawn that you can see in the overworld and symbol static encounters are spawns that change according to the weather (can also be know as Strong Spawns). Fixed symbol encounters are static spawns that come with fixed species, level & form but some of them may have additional triggers that can cause that specific Pokemon to respawn under certain conditions.

Last edited:

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
Ended up with a bit more than I thought I would.

Nature Synchronization

Something that I think needs including is nature sync'ing as it won't be possible for all methods like dens and dynamax adventures. Also a mention if nature sync'ing will still work if the Pokemon doing the job is fainted is probably a good idea to cover very new players.

Not sure if it fainting the nature sync will be stackable with chain fishing and fainting the Suction Cups Pokemon as well though so that probably needs checking.

Fishing

Think this section needs more detail on the how to side of things or at least a link to the Gen 6 chain fishing guide. The lead Pokemon's ability should be Suction Cups according to the article as well and it also mentions that a Smoke Ball should be used. Don't know though if you have to KO or if just running away in Gen 8 will maintain the chain though as haven't looked into the differences between Gen 6 & 8 for chain fishing so think that should be included. Also a mention of if the Suction Cups mon can be fainted and the ability will still work would be a good idea.

Other shiny hunting methods

Curry shiny hunting
- think it's tied to the happiness/sociability of the Pokemon in the party camping in order to draw Pokemon into the camp. Don't know the rates or the exact method though.

Tree shiny hunting - simple tree shaking but results will vary by location so worth mentioning. No idea what the rates are or about nature sync.

Wanderers aka Pokemon like the Route 5 Eldegoss. Should be possible to nature sync them but best to check and I think the rate is the standard shiny one. Found a list on Bulbapedia of these - https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wanderer but doesn't seem to include any of them in the DLC content as Wailord is missing for a start.

Random note

Harvest doesn't work when a berry has been bestowed so maybe worth mentioning that more than one Trevanant may be needed.
Great! I appreciate it Hare. I will edit it in soon-ish. :psyglad:

Let me start off by saying that I like the article and the other suggestions so far! Nice work :)

1. I don’t see a mention of the 1/1365 odds for wild shinies with shiny charm. The 500 encounters on wilds also affect shiny rate, keeping in mind that it doesn’t affect stuff like SoJ.

2. The KO method is also important for people hunting marked low-spawn rate shinies. Whenever you kill an overworld non-static symbol encounter, there’s a high chance the same mon will spawn next, ignoring the rarity. Users could save on, reset and kill low percentage spawns for faster hunts.

3. A section dedicated to things that are exempt from Shiny Charm rolls (“full odds”) would be useful.
Examples: The Regis, Regina shinies, glimwood impidimps, fossils, curry(assumed).

4. The square shiny odds in the wild (symbols and hidden -excluding trees-) are 65521/65536, not 15/16. The only ones that follow the 1/16 for squares are eggs, fossils, dens (unless forced square by an event, in which case it’ll always be square even if your frame is star), Regis, the motostoke gym pokemon, trees, glimwood impidimps and curry shinies.

5. It’d also be useful to list abilities like static, storm drain, cute charm, etc that work in g8 and affect the encountered Pokémon, in case people want a certain gender, type or want to go fish for the route 2 marked shiny feebas.

6. Dex recommendations could also be addressed as a way to help you find a rarer spawn and make your shiny hunt easier.

I might be missing some stuff but I hope to provide a general idea of what I’m suggesting.

Wild spawn increase, dex recs and abilities: https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/increasedspawns.shtml

More info on that impidimp from Anubis, which was later on confirmed to use csrng by SciresM:
Edits: added an “assumed” next to curry. Added fossils. Changed ~50% to “high”. Added Motostoke gym shinies.

Last edited:

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
Let me start off by saying that I like the article and the other suggestions so far! Nice work :)

1. I don’t see a mention of the 1/1365 odds for wild shinies with shiny charm. The 500 encounters on wilds also affect shiny rate, keeping in mind that it doesn’t affect stuff like SoJ.

2. The KO method is also important for people hunting marked low-spawn rate shinies. Whenever you kill an overworld non-static symbol encounter, there’s a ~50% chance the same mon will spawn next, ignoring the rarity. Users could save on, reset and kill low percentage spawns for faster hunts.

3. A section dedicated to things that are exempt from Shiny Charm rolls (“full odds”) would be useful.
Examples: The Regis, Regina shinies, glimwood impidimps, curry.

4. The square shiny odds in the wild (symbols and hidden -excluding trees-) are 65521/65536, not 15/16. The only ones that follow the 1/16 for squares are eggs, fossils, dens (unless forced square by an event, in which case it’ll always be square even if your frame is star), Regis, trees, glimwood impidimps and curry shinies.

5. It’d also be useful to list abilities like static, storm drain, cute charm, etc that work in g8 and affect the encountered Pokémon, in case people want a certain gender, type or want to go fish for the route 2 marked shiny feebas.

6. Dex recommendations could also be addressed as a way to help you find a rarer spawn and make your shiny hunt easier.

I might be missing some stuff but I hope to provide a general idea of what I’m suggesting.

Wild spawn increase, dex recs and abilities: https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/increasedspawns.shtml

More info on that impidimp from Anubis, which was later on confirmed to use csrng by SciresM:
Thanks! I will do the same with this as well. :blobnom:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)