Shitty Homemade Bands!

Sure, professional musicians making legitimate music is cool.

Unless you're some kind of hardcore scenester, chances are your friends' tastes in music vary quite a bit! It may be fun to fantasize about playing in a galactic super-band with people you've known since first grade, but unfortunately if these guys/gals are not virtuosic musicians with overlapping record collections you're probably going to sound like shit.

Beautiful shit.

I'm sure at least some of you Smogonis (and your friends) make music just for the hell of it. Post your stuff here!

---------------------------

I'll start it off

Our music group consists of an Ivy-league Classics major, two aspiring video game designers, a drug dealer, etc.

Edit:
Have you any idea how big my beard is?
Ding dong.
Alright, just leave it at the front step.
Two buckets of pitter-patter porridge outside my door.
Dip my beard innit.
Dribble drabble, rabble-rousing snitch.
Bitch.
Gumdrop snipers on every roof.
They shoot me down, I'll raise their rent.
Pisstian Slater: get out the fishbowl!
Fishbowls are for lovers.
This flame is for the others.
Booooooooooze.
Persian golf course.
You need to open one.
Get on that.
Pronto pup, backpick-packpocket.
Hot sock it to a flying fox.

---------------------------

Make some recordings! Honestly those built in iBook microphones+Garageband work just fine.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I would link to my MySpace "band page" but I think I took all the songs down because I wanted to re-record them. I'll get back to you all on that.

Haha, it's funny because I was just going to talk to one of my friends about making a band just for shits and giggles, he's more into metal and rock, but I'm more of a punk/hardcore/grunge/thrash guy. Let's just say it would be crap incarnated.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
Haha, it's funny because I was just going to talk to one of my friends about making a band just for shits and giggles, he's more into metal and rock, but I'm more of a punk/hardcore/grunge/thrash guy. Let's just say it would be crap incarnated.
at least your tastes are similar

our singer is into bob dylan and guster
our guitarist likes govt mule and cream
i like coheed and cambria and mastodon
and our drummer likes Death and Phish

yet we all seem to blend together into something that sounds all right

but yeah bands are generally awesome, you should totally have one

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://www.myspace.com/hightimeforahero

We had one song up, it was recorded on my mobile phone lol, we did actually write quite a few and it was fun (and we weren't as bad as the recording there sounds!) We never got anywhere because the other guys lacked the time to practice, I'm hoping to start another band eventually.

Ah well.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Your beats are not as afro as I had hoped, but otherwise I liked it. I cant really hear what you are singing though..

Have a nice day.

Thanks Hipmonlee. Most of the songs wer recorded when I first started messing around with garageband. On Dark and Horse the main guitar and vocals were recorded on the same track using this computer's built in microphone, so I can't adjust the volume levels properly.

I apologize for the absence of afro beats (perhaps it's time for me to update the page with relevant info / new songs.) I very recently had the amazing opportunity to see Bolokada Conde perform in a small house for about 15 people. I've been inspired to whip out my djembe and cowbell and start experimenting with african and afro-cuban percussion styles again.

http://www.myspace.com/wonderlusters
(Everyone loves Juice (my personal favorite), and Waste of Time, so listen to those first)

Only in high school, so we only really do school shows, local shows with other Carson High bands, and a Debut for a friend. It's also hard to find an official place to record, so we used someone's little digital recorder (a very expensive high quality one at that that's surprising good).

But yeah, just started off as a fun thing to do and evolved into a very serious thing to do. Hardest part is making everyone go in the same direction, not getting pissed at each other, and getting money. Everyone is influenced by some very different bands, yet we can come together very well and make music that somehow fits. Chemistry among friends perhaps?

I really need some help on writing some basslines (if you were wondering what Peachfuzz looks like, I'm holding the long ass orange guitar in the video). I know a good amount of music theory, but I look at the guitarists and see that they can make up something pretty easily without much knowledge of theory, so theory doesn't always mean much. Think of the Beatles. Or maybe rhythm instruments are a bit harder, because, really, most basslines don't sound all that exciting without everything else around it, so that may be something.

EDIT: also, band name. Harder than writing any god damn song. Band names are so difficult to come up with. We're always hesitant to say "We're the Wonderlusters". It sounded cool at first. Fuck that name.

I'm in a band and we have a gig this Friday at a taco bar - we'll be playing some Maroon 5 and RHCP as well as some other stuff that I don't know of yet.

I'm on bass, we have a good drummer and pianist, and our guitarist is decent at both singing and playing guitar. I'm hoping this is more of just a temporary thing for me though and that I'll be able to get into a better group somewhere down the road (I'm only 17).

norulz

excellent
oh my god DM you covered Goldfrapp - Strict Machine at my request! I love you so much ;-;

I never found out you did it though because I never checked the thread again, sorry for the lack of feedback

and it's really well covered too!

edit: Big Bayou I'm checking out Caw.m4a and so far so good

edit2: this is actually pretty good for a supposed amateurish homemade band, you guys should try to expand this genre with more songs...whatever 'this' genre is

edit3: BAM UR DEAD I've been meaning to ask you this, would you consider the possibility of doing a bass cover of a song and upload it to youtube? :x if so, pm me and I'll give you the song, the bassline isn't really easy but it shouldn't be a problem for a kickass bassist such as yourself

I wanted to share some more music. I play drums/percussion in The Idolaters. This band is also on hold because of college, but we (me and two other dudes) play during the summer and other longer breaks. Include instrumentals, brushes and Tom Waits covers!

wow, Danyul, do all ska bands cover the same stuff?

We also cover Sellout and Keasbey Nights (streetlight version tho) and our guitarist knows Santeria. But we are basically doing one song from each major third wave band, we have You by Mustard Plug, Shining On by Big D (mainly as a horn break/vocal feature), Nervous in the Alley by Less than Jake, and Super Rad! by the Aquabats. And we have one almost finished original song and two we need to sit down and work on. We would cover BTMI and ASOB but they aren't really tabbed anywhere and have complex arrangements that aren't worth the time to figure out (compared to original music).

by the way, that album is awesome and has their best song (which I wish we could cover, but Side Projects uses to much synth).

norulz

excellent
big bayou, I can't even describe how amazing that is. the background vocals singing "wash your neck and wait for me" are hilarious

is there a chance you can upload all of your work somewhere? (I've asked for this before I think but never got any feedback)

Nevermind Max I see your myspace ;).

Add me right now, my vid is there.

And Norulz, what song is it you're talking about? I sent you that PM but you never replied.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/user/nsiderbass

Just uploaded two vids, first time I've ever sung. One is just a cover and the other is a song I'm working on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)