Shuckle (power trick sweep?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was messing around with power trick(i did test it) and found a pretty reliable setup.

name: power trick sweep
move 1: power trick
move 2: endure
move 3: gyro ball
move 4: toxic/swagger/rest
item: custap berry
nature: relaxed
evs: 252 Hp 252 def 6 sdef

why this deserves to be on the site:
it works perfect in a trick room setup and also it is situational on its own.
basically you power trick immediatly (moving second of course), then you endure to activate the custap berry allowing you to move first. Then you get a free gyro ball which will almost always OHKO. After its one use you can still trick room shuckle to repeat this or double as a toxic staller for that last kill.

teammates and counters: Keeping two trick roomers on your team helps. Hypno works as well as a secondary option for a sweeping alakazam. Having u-turn on your lead will also help move into this setup

alright i usually don't write logs(or do you mean save them?), but i'll write up some of any future matches i have with this set up. Are there any good examples i can use when writing the logs?

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Battle a couple times, paste the logs.

Also be sure not to cherrypick the logs. We don't want 8 logs where it performs suspiciously well, we want a look at how it would perform over time against varied teams.

At the very least, this looks like a ridiculous gimmick that is unlikely to score 1 ko, much less more than 1. Also, UnSTAB Gyro Ball? Steel sucks as an attacking type even when STABed, so I wouldn't rely on it.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Keep in mind Custap still loses over Priority moves, and the most common user of a priority move, standard CB Scizor, can easily switch in and KO.

Yes its UU haha, that would be pretty funny
i'll play some matches sometime this week. This might be more creative than effective as you say, but it did win me a couple of matches in the past

I'm no expert on Shuckle but I think max HP would be more beneficial than max attack. hp EVs add more bulk in special defense and more bulk in defense after power trick than defense EVs would (because its hp is so bad).

This set is very underwhelming, I felt like it was impossible to sweep even if my opponent had no idea what was going on. They just attacked it and Shuckle fainted or took up a turn of Trick Room.

make sure they have a special attack based pokemon on their team when you switch in shuckle...it helps a lot
i also found it helps to use swagger on your first trick room turn and then predict when to endure and when to power trick

So you need to waste 3 turns of Trick Room in order to get one KO if you have perfect prediction?

I don't think that's worth a set.

you don't have to use trick room at all is what im saying
you need it to get multiple kos or sweep after the first one is done with the custap berry

This set is probably the most practical way for Shuckle to use Power Trick. Unfortunately, that's still not saying much...

Shuckle's only going to get one shot at using his offensive ability. The time it takes to set up guarantees that Trick Room will be gone before you get a chance to attack more than a single time. Your berry is a one-time use. Left at 1 HP, Shuckle has almost no chance of switching in a second time. A smart opponent can easily stave off this Shuckle for the one turn it has. The abundant bulky water types of UU can take this Gyro Ball without blinking, and won't die even if you decide to go with Stone Edge or Earthquake. Even if you pull off your set up without a hitch, I can only see one of two things happening against someone who knows what they're doing: opponent switches in death fodder to nullify the single turn of power; or opponent switches in one of the abundant walls of OU, all capable of surviving you, outspeeding you, and finishing you off.

After all this... 614 Attack actually isn't so rare anyway. Choice Band Rhyperior achieves greater levels of offense, with a better movepool and better opportunity. Even in NU, Medicham is more capable of such a glass cannon set.

It's the most practical Shuckle gimmick I've seen, but still not practical. If you're set on using it, I'd remove Gluttony so that Shuckle has a chance to switch in and use Toxic earlier in the match without accidentally wasting what little potential it does have.

Power Trick Shuckle has been brought up before, and as cool as it sounds, it's a complete gimmick and inviable. At best, you can get one KO, as your opponent will send in a physical attacker, outspeed you, and OHKO right back next turn. Not to mention that with only one attacking move, you can be walled despite your 614 Attack. You're almost better off with one of UU's many Swords Dancing pokes, who reach much higher attack with less support and have the speed to sweep.

you don't have to use trick room at all is what im saying
So I don't have to use Trick Room at all with this set for it to be effective?
WaNgO said:
you need it to get multiple kos or sweep after the first one is done with the custap berry
unless I want it to work?

Which one is it? You're saying "you don't need to use it" and then saying "it only works well with it".

I'm going to lock this - while I wouldn't have approved this set anyway (since I tested it) - I don't think the outline or explanations are good enough to be considered "up to standards". It doesn't seem like this set was tested thoroughly based on these explanations, and the rules are that this set should be tested (against good opponents) before it is posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)