OU Shuckle

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
QC: 4/4 [CyclicCompound, Labyrinthine, TRC., Ash Borer]
GP: 2/2 [Legitimate Username, piikachuu]

DON'T FUCKLE WITH SHUCKLE

Overview
#######
Last generation, Shuckle was stuck in NU, incapable of doing much besides sitting around and Toxic stalling until it fainted. But when XY came around, Shuckle got access to a rare and unique move: Sticky Web. Being the most reliable user of Sticky Web is a small but valuable niche that no other Pokemon in the metagame can boast. This, along with its useful access to Stealth Rock, allows Shuckle to see the light of OU. Despite having no offensive presence, Shuckle cannot be set up on thanks to its access to Encore.

However, don't be fooled into thinking Shuckle is a flawless Pokemon. Its base 230 defenses are offset by a terrible base 20 HP, meaning that Shuckle isn't as bulky as it seems. It is crippled by Taunt and Trick, though the former is somewhat remedied by Mental Herb. Weaknesses to common Water-, Rock-, and Steel-type moves, along with no reliable recovery, mean that Shuckle won't be staying for long. It will always be moving last because of its nonexistent base 5 Speed, which means that it will have to take a hit before doing anything. It is essentially a sitting duck on the battlefield, and it has to rely on Toxic or Infestation to do any damage. It also receives competition from Smeargle as a Sticky Web user, as it gets Magic Coat to ward off Taunt and Spore to provide opportunities to set up Sticky Web. However, Shuckle is much bulkier and much more reliable than Smeargle, and can't be set up on. Despite these shortcomings, Shuckle provides valuable support to Sticky Web teams, and in the right hands, can be a thorn in your opponent's side.

Sticky Web
########
Name: Sticky Web
Move 1: Sticky Web
Move 2: Stealth Rock
Move 3: Encore
Move 4: Infestation / Toxic / Knock Off
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Nature: Bold

Moves
======
Sticky Web is Sticky Web, and Shuckle's number one mission is to set it up. Stealth Rock creates a nice entry hazard combination with Sticky Web, as it does a lot of damage to the Flying-types that are immune to Sticky Web. Encore is very important, as without it, Shuckle is huge setup bait. It also generates useful momentum for Shuckle's team. Infestation is useful for racking up damage and trapping opponents. It also has no immunities and isn't affected by Taunt, unlike Toxic. However, if your team deals with Steel- and Poison-types fairly well, Toxic can go in the last slot, as it does more damage over time and doesn't go away after a few turns like Infestation does. Knock Off is a great utility move for Shuckle to use, as it cripples Pokemon that rely heavily on their items, such as Heatran and Chansey, but it is quite weak coming from an uninvested Shuckle and can get in the way of other Knock Off users.

Set Details
========
252 EVs with a Bold nature give Shuckle maximum bulk on the physical side, while minimizing Foul Play and confusion damage. Mental Herb gives Shuckle a chance against users of Taunt, Trick, and status, allowing it to get up at least one of its hazards. Sturdy ensures that Shuckle will lay down either Sticky Web or Stealth Rock without getting OHKOed.

Usage Tips
========
As a general rule of thumb, use Stealth Rock before Sticky Web when the opponent has a Pokemon that is 4x weak to it, or when the opponent has two or more Pokemon immune to Sticky Web. Otherwise, use Sticky Web first. Once you have laid down hazards, use a combination of Infestation and Encore to trap the opponent, and switch to an appropriate counter. However, do not hesitate to use Encore if you predict a setup move. Also use Encore when you predict a Rapid Spin or Defog. One of two things will happen: they will switch out, and you get Sticky Web up on the switch, or they stay in, and you switch to a setup sweeper and attempt a sweep from there. Shuckle is best used as a lead, setting up hazards and using Infestation and Encore to mess with your opponent, switching out whenever necessary. If you need to, don't be afraid to fodder Shuckle, as its main job is to set up hazards. However, if you spot a potential Rapid Spin or Defog user on the opposing team, you should save Shuckle in order to set up hazards again. If Shuckle leads against Deoxys-D, use Encore on the first turn. If it Taunts Shuckle, switch out. Otherwise, the opponent will most likely get up hazards, and using Encore will prevent the setup of one of said hazards.

Team Options
==========
Shuckle should only be used on teams that intend to abuse Sticky Web to its fullest. Therefore, Shuckle works well with any Pokemon that has high Attack or Special Attack and middling Speed; examples include, but are not limited to, Manaphy, Chandelure, Kyurem-B, Haxorus, Dragonite, Hydreigon, Landorus-T, Mamoswine, Exploud, Darmanitan, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham, and Mega Charizard Y. Bisharp is almost necessary for its ability to take advantage of Defog users; something that Shuckle absolutely hates. Mega Heracross, Keldeo, and Terrakion can take care of opposing Bisharp trying to take advantage of Sticky Web, and benefit from Sticky Web as well. Ghost-types, such as Aegislash or Gengar, are also useful for blocking Rapid Spin.

Other Options
##########
Shuckle gets a decent offensive movepool, but putrid offensive stats prevent Shuckle from running any other attacking options. Acupressure can turn Shuckle into a monstrous tank, but it is ultimately a luck-based move, and Shuckle will often not have enough time to set it up properly. Rest is an option for full recovery, but the loss of momentum generated by using Rest is so great that it's hardly worth it, even when paired with a cleric. Besides, Shuckle doesn't need to last forever, it just needs to get down a couple of hazards for its team. Power Split averages the offensive stats of two Pokemon, and can be useful as it essentially halves the foe's offensive stats as Shuckle's are nonexistent. Shell Smash can be used with Contrary to act as a pseudo-Cosmic Power along with Toxic, Rest, and Power Split. However, this set is incredibly hard to pull off correctly in the fast-paced OU metagame, as it is countered by Taunt users, Poison-types, and Steel-types. As a result, it will often be a waste of a teamslot.

Checks & Counters
#############

**Magic Bounce**: Pokemon with Magic Bounce, such as Espeon and Mega Absol, reflect back any hazards that Shuckle tries to set up, preventing Shuckle from completing its job. However, Shuckle can deal with these Pokemon to some extent by trapping them with Infestation and switching to an appropriate counter.

**Super Effective Attacks**: Any Pokemon with a strong super effective STAB attack can deal with Shuckle decently, but will not prevent Shuckle from getting up Sticky Web. Examples include Greninja, Aegislash, Scizor, and Terrakion.

**Bisharp**: Bisharp is one of the best counters to Shuckle, as the Speed drop from Sticky Web doubles its Attack via Defiant. It can then OHKO Shuckle with Iron Head and attempt a sweep.

**Hazard Removal**: Rapid Spin and Defog users such as Excadrill and Mandibuzz are useful for removing Sticky Web, but they must be wary of Encore.

Attachments

Last edited:
Custap Berry should be removed as it is unreleased. Other than that this looks great so far!

EDIT: lol best 600th post ever y/y

EDIT 2: "Mega Heracross and Latios are useful for getting rid of Bisharp and Thundurus, respectively"

Defiant Thundurus runs Knock Off, so Latios doesn't exactly beat it. Also, make sure to specify Defiant Thundurus as the teammate, as it isn't obvious if you don't mention it.

Last edited:
Use Bold or Calm > Impish, Infestation is a SpA so Shuckle would rather use -Atk for both a stronger Infestation and lower Foul Play damage.

Also I think Shuckle should be using 248 HP instead to minimize SR damage.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Use Bold or Calm > Impish, Infestation is a SpA so Shuckle would rather use -Atk for both a stronger Infestation and lower Foul Play damage.

Also I think Shuckle should be using 248 HP instead to minimize SR damage.
Added, thanks.

This is ready for QC checks.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so here's what you should do:

Firstly, deslash Contrary. It's great when it works (Defog users come at me bro), but it's not as helpful as the guarantee that you'll get down a layer of hazards. Crit happens.

Slash Knock Off somewhere in the last slot. It's useful against Pokemon like Leftovers Heatran that hate having their item taken away. Even if you're running Bisharp, you shouldn't pass up the opportunity to cripple something important.

I would play down the mention of Gravity in Team Options. Constructing a successful Gravity-based team can be difficult, and it's not something the reader should feel obliged to use when using Shuckle.

Take the Pseudo-Cosmic Power set out of OO, or at least make sure you severely discourage the reader from using it. It gets hard-walled by anything with Taunt and/or a Steel-typing.

Also, make sure you use the correct format for your checks and counters section. If you need an idea of what that looks like check out some of the other analyses that have been written.

Fix all of that and consider this QC 1/4

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
No leftovers in item slashes please, Mental Herb is imperative to function against taunt leads.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Okay, so here's what you should do:

Firstly, deslash Contrary. It's great when it works (Defog users come at me bro), but it's not as helpful as the guarantee that you'll get down a layer of hazards. Crit happens.

Slash Knock Off somewhere in the last slot. It's useful against Pokemon like Leftovers Heatran that hate having their item taken away. Even if you're running Bisharp, you shouldn't pass up the opportunity to cripple something important.

I would play down the mention of Gravity in Team Options. Constructing a successful Gravity-based team can be difficult, and it's not something the reader should feel obliged to use when using Shuckle.

Take the Pseudo-Cosmic Power set out of OO, or at least make sure you severely discourage the reader from using it. It gets hard-walled by anything with Taunt and/or a Steel-typing.

Also, make sure you use the correct format for your checks and counters section. If you need an idea of what that looks like check out some of the other analyses that have been written.

Fix all of that and consider this QC 1/4
Changes implemented, thanks for the QC check!
No leftovers in item slashes please, Mental Herb is imperative to function against taunt leads.
Added, thanks.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't really see the point of slashing Contrary, so unless you think it's vitally important, I think you can leave Sturdy as the only slash for the ability. Power Trick is also really terrible, so you should remove that from OO in my opinion. Also don't forget to change your Checks and Counters section to the generation 6 format when you write this up. If you make these changes, consider this analysis

QC APPROVED 2/4

edit: Yeah, my bad. I didn't refresh before I posted that, but I had left the thread open from before.

Last edited:

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
I don't really see the point of slashing Contrary, so unless you think it's vitally important, I think you can leave Sturdy as the only slash for the ability. Power Trick is also really terrible, so you should remove that from OO in my opinion. Also don't forget to change your Checks and Counters section to the generation 6 format when you write this up. If you make these changes, consider this analysis

QC APPROVED 2/4
I already removed Contrary and changed C&C. You must have viewed the thread before I was done making changes.

Anyway thanks a lot for the QC check, I removed Power Trick from OO.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I don't want to sound like an ass because I'm not even qc lol, but this analysis is very confusing.

You know, Shuckle is not alone on the Sticky Web department as there are two other viable (viable as in having an analysis) users in Smeargle and Galvantula. I feel the lack of the simple question "why should I use Shuckle instead of Smeargle/Galvantula on my team?" along with its reasoning. You also don't mention why Contrary slashed with Sturdy, which imo sucks since you can die to a SE/extremely powerful attack without doing your main job. Sturdy is what makes Shuckle work.

Also I'd like to focus a bit on the most confusing part, the checks & counters

If Mental Herb is used up, users of Taunt and Trick completely shut down Shuckle, and prevent or deter Shuckle from doing its main job-setting up Sticky Web and Stealth Rock.
There are 3 possible instances of Shuckle losing Mental Herb: Knock Off, being Taunted and Trick. Shuckle won't mind the two former if he's still with an item since he'll get the job done (unless a threat to the hazard is seen on team preview, in which would be the best to save the Rock/Bug.) It's fine but very confusing, sounding like you'll always lose Mental Herb.

Any Pokémon that can hit Shuckle super effectively is basically able to deal with Shuckle. Examples include Greninja, Aegislash, Scizor, and Terrakion.
Right, but Shuckle's job is just get Sticky Web and luckily SR if it's possible. You could emphasize a bit more on that fact.

Pokémon that take advantage of Sticky Web, specifically Defiant users, are one of the best ways to counter it. Bisharp and Thundurus are examples.
Unless you're running Gravity or Trick + Iron Ball, Thundurus won't get the Defiant boost from Sticky Web.

Rapid Spin and Defog users such as Blastoise and Mandinuzz are useful for removing Sticky Web, but be wary of Encore.
I thought Excadrill was the best spinner in OU and you don't even mention it on the whole analysis. Instead you mention Blastoise, which as far as I know is usable but not as much as the steel mole. In fact Excadrill is a huge threat to Shuckle. Iron Head is strong asf super-effective and can both set up his own SR and/or spin the hazards away.

Greninja is possibly the #1 counter to Shuckle; it easily OHKOes with its super effective Water STABs and has Taunt to completely shut it down. Also, they are both commonly used as leads, meaning that matchups between them are not uncommon.
Far from truth. Assuming the lead position you mentioned, if Greninja attacks, Shuckle will use Sticky Web since it'll live through Sturdy. If the frog Taunts (which considering his 4MSS and the coolness of the All-out Attacker, is highly unlikely), then Shuckle activates the Mental Herb and STILL uses Sticky Web, doing his main purpose.

Just my 2 cents for some things QC maybe hopefully overlooked since it's already 3/4 QC n_n

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
I don't want to sound like an ass because I'm not even qc lol, but this analysis is very confusing.

You know, Shuckle is not alone on the Sticky Web department as there are two other viable (viable as in having an analysis) users in Smeargle and Galvantula. I feel the lack of the simple question "why should I use Shuckle instead of Smeargle/Galvantula on my team?" along with its reasoning. You also don't mention why Contrary slashed with Sturdy, which imo sucks since you can die to a SE/extremely powerful attack without doing your main job. Sturdy is what makes Shuckle work.

Also I'd like to focus a bit on the most confusing part, the checks & counters

There are 3 possible instances of Shuckle losing Mental Herb: Knock Off, being Taunted and Trick. Shuckle won't mind the two former if he's still with an item since he'll get the job done (unless a threat to the hazard is seen on team preview, in which would be the best to save the Rock/Bug.) It's fine but very confusing, sounding like you'll always lose Mental Herb.

Right, but Shuckle's job is just get Sticky Web and luckily SR if it's possible. You could emphasize a bit more on that fact.

Unless you're running Gravity or Trick + Iron Ball, Thundurus won't get the Defiant boost from Sticky Web.

I thought Excadrill was the best spinner in OU and you don't even mention it on the whole analysis. Instead you mention Blastoise, which as far as I know is usable but not as much as the steel mole. In fact Excadrill is a huge threat to Shuckle. Iron Head is strong asf super-effective and can both set up his own SR and/or spin the hazards away.

Far from truth. Assuming the lead position you mentioned, if Greninja attacks, Shuckle will use Sticky Web since it'll live through Sturdy. If the frog Taunts (which considering his 4MSS and the coolness of the All-out Attacker, is highly unlikely), then Shuckle activates the Mental Herb and STILL uses Sticky Web, doing his main purpose.

Just my 2 cents for some things QC maybe hopefully overlooked since it's already 3/4 QC n_n
Thank you very much for your insight. Don't worry, you didn't sound like an "ass" or anything like that. :D I added your changes

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Last generation, Shuckle was stuck in NU, incapable of doing much but sitting around, stalling with Toxic until it died. Then, when XY came around, it got access to a rare and unique move; Sticky Web. Being the only reliable user of Sticky Web is a small but valuable niche that no other Pokemon can boast. This, along with useful access to Stealth Rock, allowed Shuckle to see the light of OU. In addition, Shuckle can't be set up on, unlike other defensive Pokemon, thanks to Encore. It has gargantuan 230 defenses, the largest of any Pokémon. It also has a unique defensive movepool that fits Shuckle's needs.

However, don't be fooled into thinking Shuckle is a flawless Pokemon. Its 230 defenses are offset by a putrid 20 HP stat, meaning that Shuckle isn't as bulky as it seems. It is enormous Taunt / Trick bait; however, this is somewhat remedied by holding a Mental Herb. Weaknesses to common Water-, Rock-, and Steel-type attacks, along with no reliable recovery, mean that Shuckle won't be staying long. It will always be moving last because of its sluggish 5 Speed, which means it will have to take a hit before doing anything. It is essentially a sitting duck on the battlefield, and has to rely on Toxic / Infestation to do any damage because of its nonexistent offenses. It also receives competition from Smeargle and Galvantula as a Sticky Web user, but it is much bulkier and much more reliable than its competition. Despite these shortcomings, Shuckle provides valuable support to Sticky Web teams, and can be a thorn in your opponent's side in the right hands.
I wouldnt say Shuckle is the ONLY one as Smeargle's spore tends to be reliable enough, however I think it is fair to say that Shuckle is most reliable. Not every defensive Pokemon can be set up on, I would reword this to say something along the lines of "despite no offensive presence whatsover Shuckle can not be easily set up on thanks to encore." YOu already touched on encore, SR and Sticky web and thats the summation of good moves shuckle can use so this last line if hte first paragraph isnt needed. I would tone down the bit about being ENORMOUS taunt bait. Shuckle can run mental herb with no worries and with it it gets down sticky web. Even if hte opp removes it you can use shuckle's sturdy/bulk to reset it later.

Other than that the overview is good in that it highlights the reasons to use shuckle and its competition.

Sticky Web
########
Ability: Sturdy / Contrary
Item: Mental Herb / Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Remember to get rid of lefites and contrary theyre simpy not what we're looking for with shuckle.

Usage Tips
========

As a general rule of thumb, use Stealth Rock before Sticky Web when the opponent has a Pokémon that is 4x weak to it, or when the opponent has two or Pokémon immune to Sticky Web. Otherwise, use Sticky Web first.
Once you have laid down hazards, use a combination of Infestation and Encore to trap the opponent, and switch to an appropriate counter. However, do not hesitate to use Encore if you predict a set-up move. Also use Encore when you predict a Rapid Spin or Defog. One of two things will happen: They switch out, and you get Sticky Web up on the switch; or, they stay in, and you switch to a Pokemon with Defiant such as Bisharp or Thundurus, who then get a +2 Attack boost, and can attempt a sweep from there.
Shuckle is best used as a lead, setting up hazards and using Infestation and Encore to mess with your opponent, switching out whenever necessary. If you need to, don't be afraid to fodder Shuckle, as its main job is to set up hazards. However, if you spot a potential Rapid Spin or Defog user on the opposing team, you should save Shuckle in order to set up hazards again.
Here's a tip I'd like to add. If you lead against deo-d use encore first turn every time. If it uses Taunt then it will be easy to stop fro msetting up as you can just switch. If it uses SR then you deny it spikes. If it uses spikes then at least SR isnt getting up. The issue with shuckle is that if you Sticky Web against Deo and it uses SR, then starts spiking as you encore it, it's going to get up full hazards which means you have to defog which means it was a waste to set up webs, you have to spin and not every team has that and it can be blocked, or you basically just lose because a full hazard stack almost guarantees that. It is an issue if opposing deo have mental herb, and they do a lot, but in that even you at least force them to react and probably taunt again.

Team Options
==========

Shuckle works well with any Pokémon that has high Attack or Special Attack and middling Speed; examples include but are not limited to Manaphy, Chandelure, Kyurem-B, Haxorus, Dragonite, Hydreigon, Landorus-T, Mamoswine, Exploud, and Mega Charizard Y. Bisharp is almost necessary for its ability to take advantage of Defog users-something Shuckle absolutely hates. Mega Heracross takes care of opposing Bisharp trying to take advantage of Sticky Web, and benefits from Sticky Web as well. Ghost-types, such as Aegislash or Gengar are useful for blocking Rapid Spin.
make sure to state that shukcle should only be on teams that intend to abuse sticky web to the fullest. Also, more Bisharp counters. Keldeo may already be fast but it beats Bisharp and still likes Sticky Web.

Checks & Counters
=============

Trick users can cripple Shuckle for the rest of the match, but will not prevent Shuckle from completing its main job, laying down Sticky Web. Magic Bounce users such as Espeon or Mega Absol reflect back any hazards that Shuckle tries to set up, preventing Shuckle from completing its job. Shuckle honestly isn't threatening at all-Shuckle provides a buff to its teammates that allows THEM to be more threatening. Therefore, having a stop to common Pokemon that are paired with Shuckle is one of the best ways to counter Shuckle and Sticky Web teams in general; eliminating its purpose. Having priority is one of the best ways to do this; no matter what, Sticky Web can't slow down, for example, a Brave Bird from Talonflame, or an Aqua Jet from Azumarill. Other examples of priority users include Mamoswine, Dragonite, Scizor, and Aegislash. Fast Pokemon that are immune to Sticky Web, such as Aerodactyl, Talonflame, or Gengar, are useful for outrunning common abusers of Sticky Web. Mega Heracross is useful for getting rid of Bisharp, who is often paired with Shuckle for their ability to take advantage of Defog users. Any Pokémon with a strong STAB super effective attack can deal with Shuckle decently, but will not prevent Shuckle from getting up Sticky Web. Examples include Greninja, Aegislash, Scizor, and Terrakion. Bisharp is one of the best counters to Shuckle, as the speed drop from Sticky Web doubles its Attack. It can then OHKO with Iron Head and attempt a sweep. Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S deserve a special mention, as they are fast and both have Magic Coat and Taunt to shut down Shuckle. Rapid Spin and Defog users such as Excadrill and Mandibuzz are useful for removing Sticky Web, but be wary of Encore.
1) this needs to be in the proper format as such

**magic bounce**: magic bounce coutners shuckle beause it cant do shit

**mental herb deo-d**: Mental herb deo is the only taunt user that can taunt shuckle as shuckle is forced to encore first turn against deo

2) Only mention counters to shuckle. Bisharp is going to be with Shuckle sure, but, heracross doesnt counter shuckle.

Worry about things that stop shuckle from laying hazards and things that prevent hazards from staying up. Also talk about how opposing bisharp benefit from webs which is a problem.

Make these changes and this is QC 4/4

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
I wouldnt say Shuckle is the ONLY one as Smeargle's spore tends to be reliable enough, however I think it is fair to say that Shuckle is most reliable. Not every defensive Pokemon can be set up on, I would reword this to say something along the lines of "despite no offensive presence whatsover Shuckle can not be easily set up on thanks to encore." YOu already touched on encore, SR and Sticky web and thats the summation of good moves shuckle can use so this last line if hte first paragraph isnt needed. I would tone down the bit about being ENORMOUS taunt bait. Shuckle can run mental herb with no worries and with it it gets down sticky web. Even if hte opp removes it you can use shuckle's sturdy/bulk to reset it later.

Other than that the overview is good in that it highlights the reasons to use shuckle and its competition.

Remember to get rid of lefites and contrary theyre simpy not what we're looking for with shuckle.

Here's a tip I'd like to add. If you lead against deo-d use encore first turn every time. If it uses Taunt then it will be easy to stop fro msetting up as you can just switch. If it uses SR then you deny it spikes. If it uses spikes then at least SR isnt getting up. The issue with shuckle is that if you Sticky Web against Deo and it uses SR, then starts spiking as you encore it, it's going to get up full hazards which means you have to defog which means it was a waste to set up webs, you have to spin and not every team has that and it can be blocked, or you basically just lose because a full hazard stack almost guarantees that. It is an issue if opposing deo have mental herb, and they do a lot, but in that even you at least force them to react and probably taunt again.

make sure to state that shukcle should only be on teams that intend to abuse sticky web to the fullest. Also, more Bisharp counters. Keldeo may already be fast but it beats Bisharp and still likes Sticky Web.

1) this needs to be in the proper format as such

**magic bounce**: magic bounce coutners shuckle beause it cant do shit

**mental herb deo-d**: Mental herb deo is the only taunt user that can taunt shuckle as shuckle is forced to encore first turn against deo

2) Only mention counters to shuckle. Bisharp is going to be with Shuckle sure, but, heracross doesnt counter shuckle.

Worry about things that stop shuckle from laying hazards and things that prevent hazards from staying up. Also talk about how opposing bisharp benefit from webs which is a problem.

Make these changes and this is QC 4/4
Thank you for the QC check, this analysis is now much less confusing and is better than before.

Shuckle is awaiting GP checks and amchecks.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
AMCHECK!
ADD
REMOVE
COMMENTS
Overview
#######

Last generation, Shuckle was stuck in NU, incapable of doing much but sitting around, (RC) and stalling with Toxic until it died. Then, when XY came around, it Shuckle got access to a rare and unique move; (RSC) : (ACO) Sticky Web. No other Pokemon can boast Being being the most reliable user of Sticky Web, (AC) and as such Shuckle has is a small but valuable niche that no other Pokemon can boast in this metagame. This, along with its useful access to Stealth Rock, allowed Shuckle to see the light of OU. Despite having almost no offensive presence, Shuckle can't cannot be set up on thanks to its access to Encore. It has gargantuan 230 defenses, the largest of any Pokémon. (This seemed very choppy. You mention its defenses in the next paragraph, and I don't think this belonged. Plus, Blissey + Chansey have higher Special Defense and Mega Aggron has higher defense. Unless you meant "sum of defenses"... which doesn't really matter with that HP Stat.

However, don't be fooled into thinking Shuckle is a flawless Pokemon. Its 230 defenses are offset by a terrible 20 HP stat, meaning that Shuckle isn't as bulky as it seems. It is Taunt / Trick bait; however, this is somewhat remedied by Mental Herb (Mention maybe Mental Herb helps with Taunt, not Trick. Also, clear up Trick Bait, by saying that it won't enjoy Choice Items). Weaknesses to common Water-, Rock-, and Steel-type (Steel isn't that common, and it takes the most common Steel attack, Bullet Punch, very nicely. I think just saying Rock and Water would be better) attacks, along with no reliable recovery, mean that Shuckle won't be staying long. It will always be moving last because of its nonexistent 5 Speed, which means it will have to take a hit before doing anything. It is essentially a sitting duck on the battlefield, and has to rely on Toxic / Infestation to do any damage because of its nonexistent offenses (You already said that, wfw. I think you're fine without adding this part). It also receives competition from Smeargle and Galvantula as a Sticky Web user, but it is much bulkier and much more reliable than its competition (mention why it receives competition. Why is Galvantula sometimes the better choice?). Despite these shortcomings, Shuckle provides valuable support to Sticky Web teams, and can be a thorn in your opponent's side in the right hands.

Sticky Web
########

Moves
======

Sticky Web is Sticky Web, and it should be Shuckle's #1 mission to set it up. Stealth Rock creates a nice entry hazard combination with Sticky Web, as it does big damage to the Flying types that are immune to Sticky Web. Encore is very important, as without it, Shuckle would be huge setup bait. It also generates useful momentum for Shuckle's team.
(There was a space here. Do you want it to be 1 paragraph or two? I think 1 is better, and if you agree, delete this line.)
Infestation is useful for racking up damage and trapping opponents. It also has no immunities, and isn't affected by Taunt, unlike Toxic. However, if your team deals with Steel and Poison types fairly well, Toxic can go in the last slot, as it does more damage over time and doesn't go away (specify when it goes away) like Infestation does. Knock Off is a great utility move for Shuckle to use, as it cripples Pokemon that rely heavily on their items, such as Heatran and Chansey, but it is quite weak coming from an uninvested Shuckle and can get in the way of other Knock Off users.

Set Details
========

252 EVs with a Bold nature give Shuckle maximum bulk on the physical side, while minimizing Foul Play and confusion damage. Mental Herb gives Shuckle a chance against users of Taunt, Trick, and status, allowing it to get up at least one of its hazards. Sturdy ensures that Shuckle will lay down either Sticky Web or Stealth Rock. (Oh, I see the problem. Everything is still kind of in Bullet form. Delete all spaces between lines not for new paragraphs! :} )

Usage Tips
========

As a general rule of thumb, use Stealth Rock before Sticky Web when the opponent has a Pokémon that is 4x weak to it, or when the opponent has two or Pokémon immune to Sticky Web. Otherwise, use Sticky Web first.
(There was a space here. Do you want it to be 1 paragraph or two? I think 1 is better, and if you agree, delete this line.)
Once you have laid down hazards, use a combination of Infestation and Encore to trap the opponent, and switch to an appropriate counter. However, do not hesitate to use Encore if you predict a set-up move. Also use Encore when you predict a Rapid Spin or Defog. One of two things will happen: They switch out, and you get Sticky Web up on the switch; or, they stay in, and you switch to a Pokemon with Defiant such as Bisharp or Thundurus, who then get a +2 Attack boost, and can attempt a sweep from there. (Here again...) Shuckle is best used as a lead, setting up hazards and using Infestation and Encore to mess with your opponent, switching out whenever necessary. If you need to, don't be afraid to fodder Shuckle, as its main job is to set up hazards. However, if you spot a potential Rapid Spin or Defog user on the opposing team, you should save Shuckle in order to set up hazards again. If you lead against Deoxys-D, use Encore on the first turn. If it Taunts you, switch out. Otherwise, the opponent will most likely get up hazards, and using Encore will prevent the setup of one of said hazards.

Team Options
==========

Shuckle should only be used on teams that intend to abuse Sticky Web to its fullest. Therefore, Shuckle works well with any Pokémon that has high Attack or Special Attack and middling Speed; examples include but are not limited to Manaphy, Chandelure, Kyurem-B, Haxorus, Dragonite, Hydreigon, Landorus-T, Mamoswine, Exploud, Darmanitan, (mention Mega Gardevoir and Mega Medicham. Please?) and Mega Charizard Y. Bisharp is almost necessary for its ability to take advantage of Defog users-something Shuckle absolutely hates. Mega Heracross, Keldeo, and Terrakion take care of opposing Bisharp trying to take advantage of Sticky Web, and benefits from Sticky Web as well. Ghost-types, such as Aegislash or Gengar are useful for blocking Rapid Spin, as well.

Other Options
==========

Shuckle gets a decent offensive movepool, but putrid offensive stats prevent Shuckle from running most any other attacking options. Acupressure can turn Shuckle into a monstrous tank, but it is ultimately a luck-based move, and Shuckle will often not have enough time to set up properly. Rest is an option for full recovery, but the loss of momentum generated by using Rest is so great, (RC) that it's hardly worth it, especially when paired with a cleric. Besides, Shuckle doesn't need to last forever - (RH) ; (ASC) it just needs to get down a couple hazards for its team. Power Split averages the offensive stats of two Pokemon, and can be useful as it essentially halves the foe's offensive stats because of Shuckle's nonexistent offensive stats. Shell Smash can be used with Contrary to act as a pseudo-Cosmic Power, alongside Toxic, Rest, Power Split. However, this set is incredibly hard to pull off correctly in the fast-paced OU metagame, as it is hard-countered by Taunt users, Poison-types, and Steel-types. As a result, it will often be a waste of a team slot.

Checks & Counters
=============

**Magic Bounce**: Pokémon with Magic Bounce, such as Espeon or Mega Absol, reflect back any hazards that Shuckle tries to set up, preventing Shuckle from completing its job.

**Super Effective Attacks**: Any Pokémon with a strong STAB super effective attack can deal with Shuckle decently, but will not prevent Shuckle from getting up Sticky Web. Examples include Greninja, Aegislash, Scizor, and Terrakion.

**Bisharp**: Bisharp is one of the best counters to Shuckle, as the speed drop from Sticky Web doubles its Attack via Defiant. It can then OHKO with Iron Head and attempt a sweep.

**Hazard Removal**: Rapid Spin and Defog users such as Excadrill and Mandibuzz are useful for removing Sticky Web, but be wary of Encore.

**Skill Link**: Pokémon with the Skill Link ability are one of the best ways for dealing with Shuckle, as they bypass Sturdy with multi-hit moves, OHKOing and preventing hazard setup.
Mega Heracross and Cloyster are examples of these.
Hopefully I didn't sound too nitpicky. This was really well done, so I mainly had some qualms with your wording in the Overview.

Nice Job! :D

EDIT: TheManlyLadybug did you see this? :P

Last edited:
252+ Atk Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 100-120 (41.1 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 160-190 (65.8 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I honestly don't think Skill Link deserves a section in C&C since these pokemon can't actually OHKO Shuckle without a boost. It's really no better than using a normal super effective attack since it's still going to be a 2HKO regardless. Although Cloyster can have King's Rock so the flinch chance can be problematic.

Also I think it's worth running 0 speed IVs so that Shuckle can underspeed minimum speed Ferrothorn and Encore it on the first turn it comes in. It's annoying if it uses Spikes but often they'll just leech seed or set up rocks and you instantly get a free turn to set up hazards or trap the switch-in with infestation.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
252+ Atk Cloyster Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 100-120 (41.1 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 160-190 (65.8 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I honestly don't think Skill Link deserves a section in C&C since these pokemon can't actually OHKO Shuckle without a boost. It's really no better than using a normal super effective attack since it's still going to be a 2HKO regardless. Although Cloyster can have King's Rock so the flinch chance can be problematic.

Also I think it's worth running 0 speed IVs so that Shuckle can underspeed minimum speed Ferrothorn and Encore it on the first turn it comes in. It's annoying if it uses Spikes but often they'll just leech seed or set up rocks and you instantly get a free turn to set up hazards or trap the switch-in with infestation.
Thank you for clearing that up Steviestar, I'll remove Skill Link from C&C right away

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ask and ye shall receive.
Additions
Removals
(Comments)
Overview
#######

Last generation, Shuckle was stuck in NU, incapable of doing much but besides sitting around and Toxic stalling until it died. Then, But when XY came around, Shuckle got access to a rare and unique move: Sticky Web. Being the most reliable user of Sticky Web is a small but valuable niche that no other Pokemon in the metagame can boast. This, along with its useful access to Stealth Rock, allow Shuckle to see the light of OU. Despite having no offensive presence, Shuckle cannot be set up on thanks to its access to Encore.

However, don't be fooled into thinking Shuckle is a flawless Pokemon. Its base 230 defenses are offset by a terrible base 20 HP stat, meaning that Shuckle isn't as bulky as it seems. It is crippled Taunt and Trick; however, though the former is somewhat remedied by Mental Herb. Weaknesses to common Water-, Rock-, and Steel-type moves, along with no reliable recovery, mean that Shuckle won't be staying for long. It will always be moving last because of its nonexistent base 5 Speed, which means that it will have to take a hit before doing anything. It is essentially a sitting duck on the battlefield, and it has to rely on Toxic / or Infestation to do any damage. It also receives competition from Smeargle and Galvantula as a Sticky Web user. Galvantula is much faster can threaten the opponent with a STAB Thunder, while Smeargle gets Magic Coat to ward off Taunt and gets Spore to provide opportunities to set up Sticky Web. However, Shuckle is much bulkier and much more reliable than its competition, and can't be set up on. Despite these shortcomings, Shuckle provides valuable support to Sticky Web teams, and in the right hands, can be a thorn in your opponent's side in the right hands.

Sticky Web
########

Moves
======

Sticky Web is Sticky Web, and it should be Shuckle's #1 number one (eh, I think it looks nicer like this) mission to set it up. Stealth Rock creates a nice entry hazard combination with Sticky Web, as it does big damage to the Flying types Flying-types that are immune to Sticky Web. Encore is very important, as without it, Shuckle would be huge setup bait. It also generates useful momentum for Shuckle's team. Infestation is useful for racking up damage and trapping opponents. It also has no immunities, and isn't affected by Taunt, unlike Toxic. However, if your team deals with Steel Steel- and Poison types Poison-types fairly well, Toxic can go in the last slot, as it does more damage over time and doesn't go away after 2-5 turns like Infestation does. Knock Off is a great utility move for Shuckle to use, as it cripples Pokemon that rely heavily on their items, such as Heatran and Chansey, but it is quite weak coming from an uninvested Shuckle and can get in the way of other Knock Off users.

Set Details
========

252 EVs with a Bold nature give Shuckle maximum bulk on the physical side, while minimizing Foul Play and confusion damage. Mental Herb gives Shuckle a chance against users of Taunt, Trick, and status, allowing it to get up at least one of its hazards. Sturdy ensures that Shuckle will lay down either Sticky Web or Stealth Rock without getting OHKOed.

Usage Tips
========

As a general rule of thumb, use Stealth Rock before Sticky Web when the opponent has a Pokémon Pokemon that is 4x weak to it, or when the opponent has two or Pokémon more Pokemon immune to Sticky Web. Otherwise, use Sticky Web first. Once you have laid down hazards, use a combination of Infestation and Encore to trap the opponent, and switch to an appropriate counter. However, do not hesitate to use Encore if you predict a set-up setup move. Also use Encore when you predict a Rapid Spin or Defog. One of two things will happen: They they will switch out, and you get Sticky Web up on the switch; or, they stay in, and you switch to a Pokemon with Defiant such as Bisharp or Thundurus, who will then get a +2 Attack boost, and can attempt a sweep from there. Shuckle is best used as a lead, setting up hazards and using Infestation and Encore to mess with your opponent, switching out whenever necessary. If you need to, don't be afraid to fodder Shuckle, as its main job is to set up hazards. However, if you spot a potential Rapid Spin or Defog user on the opposing team, you should save Shuckle in order to set up hazards again. If you lead Shuckle leads against Deoxys-D, use Encore on the first turn. If it Taunts you Shuckle, switch out. Otherwise, the opponent will most likely get up hazards, and using Encore will prevent the setup of one of said hazards.

Team Options
==========

Shuckle should only be used on teams that intend to abuse Sticky Web to its fullest. Therefore, Shuckle works well with any Pokémon Pokemon that has high Attack or Special Attack and middling Speed; examples include but are not limited to Manaphy, Chandelure, Kyurem-B, Haxorus, Dragonite, Hydreigon, Landorus-T, Mamoswine, Exploud, Darmanitan, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham, and Mega Charizard Y. Bisharp is almost necessary for its ability to take advantage of Defog users-something that Shuckle absolutely hates. Mega Heracross, Keldeo, and Terrakion can take care of opposing Bisharp trying to take advantage of Sticky Web, and benefits benefit from Sticky Web as well. Ghost-types, such as Aegislash or Gengar, are also useful for blocking Rapid Spin, as well.

Other Options
==========

Shuckle gets a decent offensive movepool, but putrid offensive stats prevent Shuckle from running any other attacking options. Acupressure can turn Shuckle into a monstrous tank, but it is ultimately a luck-based move, and Shuckle will often not have enough time to set it up properly. Rest is an option for full recovery, but the loss of momentum generated by using Rest is so great that it's hardly worth it, especially even when paired with a cleric. Besides, Shuckle doesn't need to last forever;, it just needs to get down a couple of hazards for its team. Power Split averages the offensive stats of two Pokemon, and can be useful as it essentially halves the foe's offensive stats because of as Shuckle's are nonexistent offensive stats. Shell Smash can be used with Contrary to act as a pseudo-Cosmic Power, alongside along with Toxic, Rest, Power Split. However, this set is incredibly hard to pull off correctly in the fast-paced OU metagame, as it is hard-countered by Taunt users, Poison-types, and Steel-types. As a result, it will often be a waste of a team slot teamslot.

Checks & Counters
=============

**Magic Bounce**: Pokémon Pokemon with Magic Bounce, such as Espeon or Mega Absol, reflect back any hazards that Shuckle tries to set up, preventing Shuckle from completing its job.

**Super Effective Attacks**: Any Pokémon Pokemon with a strong STAB super effective STAB attack can deal with Shuckle decently, but will not prevent Shuckle from getting up Sticky Web. Examples include Greninja, Aegislash, Scizor, and Terrakion.

**Bisharp**: Bisharp is one of the best counters to Shuckle, as the speed Speed drop from Sticky Web doubles its Attack via Defiant. It can then OHKO Shuckle with Iron Head and attempt a sweep.

**Hazard Removal**: Rapid Spin and Defog users such as Excadrill and Mandibuzz are useful for removing Sticky Web, but they must be wary of Encore.
Overview
#######

Last generation, Shuckle was stuck in NU, incapable of doing much besides sitting around and Toxic stalling until it died. But when XY came around, Shuckle got access to a rare and unique move: Sticky Web. Being the most reliable user of Sticky Web is a small but valuable niche that no other Pokemon in the metagame can boast. This, along with its useful access to Stealth Rock, allow Shuckle to see the light of OU. Despite having no offensive presence, Shuckle cannot be set up on thanks to its access to Encore.

However, don't be fooled into thinking Shuckle is a flawless Pokemon. Its base 230 defenses are offset by a terrible base 20 HP stat, meaning that Shuckle isn't as bulky as it seems. It is crippled Taunt and Trick, though the former is somewhat remedied by Mental Herb. Weaknesses to common Water-, Rock-, and Steel-type moves, along with no reliable recovery, mean that Shuckle won't be staying for long. It will always be moving last because of its nonexistent base 5 Speed, which means that it will have to take a hit before doing anything. It is essentially a sitting duck on the battlefield, and it has to rely on Toxic or Infestation to do any damage. It also receives competition from Smeargle and Galvantula as a Sticky Web user. Galvantula is much faster can threaten the opponent with a STAB Thunder, while Smeargle gets Magic Coat to ward off Taunt and Spore to provide opportunities to set up Sticky Web. However, Shuckle is much bulkier and much more reliable than its competition, and can't be set up on. Despite these shortcomings, Shuckle provides valuable support to Sticky Web teams, and in the right hands, can be a thorn in your opponent's side.

Sticky Web
########

Moves
======

Sticky Web is Sticky Web, and it should be Shuckle's number one mission to set it up. Stealth Rock creates a nice entry hazard combination with Sticky Web, as it does big damage to the Flying-types that are immune to Sticky Web. Encore is very important, as without it, Shuckle would be huge setup bait. It also generates useful momentum for Shuckle's team. Infestation is useful for racking up damage and trapping opponents. It also has no immunities and isn't affected by Taunt, unlike Toxic. However, if your team deals with Steel- and Poison-types fairly well, Toxic can go in the last slot, as it does more damage over time and doesn't go away after 2-5 turns like Infestation does. Knock Off is a great utility move for Shuckle to use, as it cripples Pokemon that rely heavily on their items, such as Heatran and Chansey, but it is quite weak coming from an uninvested Shuckle and can get in the way of other Knock Off users.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

As a general rule of thumb, use Stealth Rock before Sticky Web when the opponent has a Pokemon that is 4x weak to it, or when the opponent has two or more Pokemon immune to Sticky Web. Otherwise, use Sticky Web first. Once you have laid down hazards, use a combination of Infestation and Encore to trap the opponent, and switch to an appropriate counter. However, do not hesitate to use Encore if you predict a setup move. Also use Encore when you predict a Rapid Spin or Defog. One of two things will happen: they will switch out, and you get Sticky Web up on the switch; or, they stay in, and you switch to a Pokemon with Defiant such as Bisharp or Thundurus, who will then get a +2 Attack boost, and can attempt a sweep from there. Shuckle is best used as a lead, setting up hazards and using Infestation and Encore to mess with your opponent, switching out whenever necessary. If you need to, don't be afraid to fodder Shuckle, as its main job is to set up hazards. However, if you spot a potential Rapid Spin or Defog user on the opposing team, you should save Shuckle in order to set up hazards again. If Shuckle leads against Deoxys-D, use Encore on the first turn. If it Taunts Shuckle, switch out. Otherwise, the opponent will most likely get up hazards, and using Encore will prevent the setup of one of said hazards.

Team Options
==========

Shuckle should only be used on teams that intend to abuse Sticky Web to its fullest. Therefore, Shuckle works well with any Pokemon that has high Attack or Special Attack and middling Speed; examples include but are not limited to Manaphy, Chandelure, Kyurem-B, Haxorus, Dragonite, Hydreigon, Landorus-T, Mamoswine, Exploud, Darmanitan, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham, and Mega Charizard Y. Bisharp is almost necessary for its ability to take advantage of Defog users-something that Shuckle absolutely hates. Mega Heracross, Keldeo, and Terrakion can take care of opposing Bisharp trying to take advantage of Sticky Web, and benefit from Sticky Web as well. Ghost-types, such as Aegislash or Gengar, are also useful for blocking Rapid Spin.

Other Options
==========

Shuckle gets a decent offensive movepool, but putrid offensive stats prevent Shuckle from running any other attacking options. Acupressure can turn Shuckle into a monstrous tank, but it is ultimately a luck-based move, and Shuckle will often not have enough time to set it up properly. Rest is an option for full recovery, but the loss of momentum generated by using Rest is so great that it's hardly worth it, even when paired with a cleric. Besides, Shuckle doesn't need to last forever, it just needs to get down a couple of hazards for its team. Power Split averages the offensive stats of two Pokemon, and can be useful as it essentially halves the foe's offensive stats as Shuckle's are nonexistent. Shell Smash can be used with Contrary to act as a pseudo-Cosmic Power, along with Toxic, Rest, Power Split. However, this set is incredibly hard to pull off correctly in the fast-paced OU metagame, as it is hard-countered by Taunt users, Poison-types, and Steel-types. As a result, it will often be a waste of a teamslot.

Checks & Counters
=============

**Magic Bounce**: Pokemon with Magic Bounce, such as Espeon or Mega Absol, reflect back any hazards that Shuckle tries to set up, preventing Shuckle from completing its job.

**Super Effective Attacks**: Any Pokemon with a strong super effective STAB attack can deal with Shuckle decently, but will not prevent Shuckle from getting up Sticky Web. Examples include Greninja, Aegislash, Scizor, and Terrakion.

**Bisharp**: Bisharp is one of the best counters to Shuckle, as the Speed drop from Sticky Web doubles its Attack via Defiant. It can then OHKO Shuckle with Iron Head and attempt a sweep.

GP approved 1/2

Last edited:

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Ask and ye shall receive.
Additions
Removals
(Comments)
Overview
#######

Last generation, Shuckle was stuck in NU, incapable of doing much but besides sitting around and Toxic stalling until it died. Then, But when XY came around, Shuckle got access to a rare and unique move: Sticky Web. Being the most reliable user of Sticky Web is a small but valuable niche that no other Pokemon in the metagame can boast. This, along with its useful access to Stealth Rock, allow Shuckle to see the light of OU. Despite having no offensive presence, Shuckle cannot be set up on thanks to its access to Encore.

However, don't be fooled into thinking Shuckle is a flawless Pokemon. Its base 230 defenses are offset by a terrible base 20 HP stat, meaning that Shuckle isn't as bulky as it seems. It is crippled Taunt and Trick; however, though the former is somewhat remedied by Mental Herb. Weaknesses to common Water-, Rock-, and Steel-type moves, along with no reliable recovery, mean that Shuckle won't be staying for long. It will always be moving last because of its nonexistent base 5 Speed, which means that it will have to take a hit before doing anything. It is essentially a sitting duck on the battlefield, and it has to rely on Toxic / or Infestation to do any damage. It also receives competition from Smeargle and Galvantula as a Sticky Web user. Galvantula is much faster can threaten the opponent with a STAB Thunder, while Smeargle gets Magic Coat to ward off Taunt and gets Spore to provide opportunities to set up Sticky Web. However, Shuckle is much bulkier and much more reliable than its competition, and can't be set up on. Despite these shortcomings, Shuckle provides valuable support to Sticky Web teams, and in the right hands, can be a thorn in your opponent's side in the right hands.

Sticky Web
########

Moves
======

Sticky Web is Sticky Web, and it should be Shuckle's #1 number one (eh, I think it looks nicer like this) mission to set it up. Stealth Rock creates a nice entry hazard combination with Sticky Web, as it does big damage to the Flying types Flying-types that are immune to Sticky Web. Encore is very important, as without it, Shuckle would be huge setup bait. It also generates useful momentum for Shuckle's team. Infestation is useful for racking up damage and trapping opponents. It also has no immunities, and isn't affected by Taunt, unlike Toxic. However, if your team deals with Steel Steel- and Poison types Poison-types fairly well, Toxic can go in the last slot, as it does more damage over time and doesn't go away after 2-5 turns like Infestation does. Knock Off is a great utility move for Shuckle to use, as it cripples Pokemon that rely heavily on their items, such as Heatran and Chansey, but it is quite weak coming from an uninvested Shuckle and can get in the way of other Knock Off users.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

As a general rule of thumb, use Stealth Rock before Sticky Web when the opponent has a Pokémon Pokemon that is 4x weak to it, or when the opponent has two or Pokémon more Pokemon immune to Sticky Web. Otherwise, use Sticky Web first. Once you have laid down hazards, use a combination of Infestation and Encore to trap the opponent, and switch to an appropriate counter. However, do not hesitate to use Encore if you predict a set-up setup move. Also use Encore when you predict a Rapid Spin or Defog. One of two things will happen: They they will switch out, and you get Sticky Web up on the switch; or, they stay in, and you switch to a Pokemon with Defiant such as Bisharp or Thundurus, who will then get a +2 Attack boost, and can attempt a sweep from there. Shuckle is best used as a lead, setting up hazards and using Infestation and Encore to mess with your opponent, switching out whenever necessary. If you need to, don't be afraid to fodder Shuckle, as its main job is to set up hazards. However, if you spot a potential Rapid Spin or Defog user on the opposing team, you should save Shuckle in order to set up hazards again. If you lead Shuckle leads against Deoxys-D, use Encore on the first turn. If it Taunts you Shuckle, switch out. Otherwise, the opponent will most likely get up hazards, and using Encore will prevent the setup of one of said hazards.

Team Options
==========

Shuckle should only be used on teams that intend to abuse Sticky Web to its fullest. Therefore, Shuckle works well with any Pokémon Pokemon that has high Attack or Special Attack and middling Speed; examples include but are not limited to Manaphy, Chandelure, Kyurem-B, Haxorus, Dragonite, Hydreigon, Landorus-T, Mamoswine, Exploud, Darmanitan, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham, and Mega Charizard Y. Bisharp is almost necessary for its ability to take advantage of Defog users-something that Shuckle absolutely hates. Mega Heracross, Keldeo, and Terrakion can take care of opposing Bisharp trying to take advantage of Sticky Web, and benefits benefit from Sticky Web as well. Ghost-types, such as Aegislash or Gengar, are also useful for blocking Rapid Spin, as well.

Other Options
==========

Shuckle gets a decent offensive movepool, but putrid offensive stats prevent Shuckle from running any other attacking options. Acupressure can turn Shuckle into a monstrous tank, but it is ultimately a luck-based move, and Shuckle will often not have enough time to set it up properly. Rest is an option for full recovery, but the loss of momentum generated by using Rest is so great that it's hardly worth it, especially even when paired with a cleric. Besides, Shuckle doesn't need to last forever;, it just needs to get down a couple of hazards for its team. Power Split averages the offensive stats of two Pokemon, and can be useful as it essentially halves the foe's offensive stats because of as Shuckle's are nonexistent offensive stats. Shell Smash can be used with Contrary to act as a pseudo-Cosmic Power, alongside along with Toxic, Rest, Power Split. However, this set is incredibly hard to pull off correctly in the fast-paced OU metagame, as it is hard-countered by Taunt users, Poison-types, and Steel-types. As a result, it will often be a waste of a team slot teamslot.

Checks & Counters
=============

**Magic Bounce**: Pokémon Pokemon with Magic Bounce, such as Espeon or Mega Absol, reflect back any hazards that Shuckle tries to set up, preventing Shuckle from completing its job.

**Super Effective Attacks**: Any Pokémon Pokemon with a strong STAB super effective STAB attack can deal with Shuckle decently, but will not prevent Shuckle from getting up Sticky Web. Examples include Greninja, Aegislash, Scizor, and Terrakion.

**Bisharp**: Bisharp is one of the best counters to Shuckle, as the speed Speed drop from Sticky Web doubles its Attack via Defiant. It can then OHKO Shuckle with Iron Head and attempt a sweep.

Overview
#######

Last generation, Shuckle was stuck in NU, incapable of doing much besides sitting around and Toxic stalling until it died. But when XY came around, Shuckle got access to a rare and unique move: Sticky Web. Being the most reliable user of Sticky Web is a small but valuable niche that no other Pokemon in the metagame can boast. This, along with its useful access to Stealth Rock, allow Shuckle to see the light of OU. Despite having no offensive presence, Shuckle cannot be set up on thanks to its access to Encore.

However, don't be fooled into thinking Shuckle is a flawless Pokemon. Its base 230 defenses are offset by a terrible base 20 HP stat, meaning that Shuckle isn't as bulky as it seems. It is crippled Taunt and Trick, though the former is somewhat remedied by Mental Herb. Weaknesses to common Water-, Rock-, and Steel-type moves, along with no reliable recovery, mean that Shuckle won't be staying for long. It will always be moving last because of its nonexistent base 5 Speed, which means that it will have to take a hit before doing anything. It is essentially a sitting duck on the battlefield, and it has to rely on Toxic or Infestation to do any damage. It also receives competition from Smeargle and Galvantula as a Sticky Web user. Galvantula is much faster can threaten the opponent with a STAB Thunder, while Smeargle gets Magic Coat to ward off Taunt and Spore to provide opportunities to set up Sticky Web. However, Shuckle is much bulkier and much more reliable than its competition, and can't be set up on. Despite these shortcomings, Shuckle provides valuable support to Sticky Web teams, and in the right hands, can be a thorn in your opponent's side.

Sticky Web
########

Moves
======

Sticky Web is Sticky Web, and it should be Shuckle's number one mission to set it up. Stealth Rock creates a nice entry hazard combination with Sticky Web, as it does big damage to the Flying-types that are immune to Sticky Web. Encore is very important, as without it, Shuckle would be huge setup bait. It also generates useful momentum for Shuckle's team. Infestation is useful for racking up damage and trapping opponents. It also has no immunities and isn't affected by Taunt, unlike Toxic. However, if your team deals with Steel- and Poison-types fairly well, Toxic can go in the last slot, as it does more damage over time and doesn't go away after 2-5 turns like Infestation does. Knock Off is a great utility move for Shuckle to use, as it cripples Pokemon that rely heavily on their items, such as Heatran and Chansey, but it is quite weak coming from an uninvested Shuckle and can get in the way of other Knock Off users.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

As a general rule of thumb, use Stealth Rock before Sticky Web when the opponent has a Pokemon that is 4x weak to it, or when the opponent has two or more Pokemon immune to Sticky Web. Otherwise, use Sticky Web first. Once you have laid down hazards, use a combination of Infestation and Encore to trap the opponent, and switch to an appropriate counter. However, do not hesitate to use Encore if you predict a setup move. Also use Encore when you predict a Rapid Spin or Defog. One of two things will happen: they will switch out, and you get Sticky Web up on the switch; or, they stay in, and you switch to a Pokemon with Defiant such as Bisharp or Thundurus, who will then get a +2 Attack boost, and can attempt a sweep from there. Shuckle is best used as a lead, setting up hazards and using Infestation and Encore to mess with your opponent, switching out whenever necessary. If you need to, don't be afraid to fodder Shuckle, as its main job is to set up hazards. However, if you spot a potential Rapid Spin or Defog user on the opposing team, you should save Shuckle in order to set up hazards again. If Shuckle leads against Deoxys-D, use Encore on the first turn. If it Taunts Shuckle, switch out. Otherwise, the opponent will most likely get up hazards, and using Encore will prevent the setup of one of said hazards.

Team Options
==========

Shuckle should only be used on teams that intend to abuse Sticky Web to its fullest. Therefore, Shuckle works well with any Pokemon that has high Attack or Special Attack and middling Speed; examples include but are not limited to Manaphy, Chandelure, Kyurem-B, Haxorus, Dragonite, Hydreigon, Landorus-T, Mamoswine, Exploud, Darmanitan, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Medicham, and Mega Charizard Y. Bisharp is almost necessary for its ability to take advantage of Defog users-something that Shuckle absolutely hates. Mega Heracross, Keldeo, and Terrakion can take care of opposing Bisharp trying to take advantage of Sticky Web, and benefit from Sticky Web as well. Ghost-types, such as Aegislash or Gengar, are also useful for blocking Rapid Spin.

Other Options
==========

Shuckle gets a decent offensive movepool, but putrid offensive stats prevent Shuckle from running any other attacking options. Acupressure can turn Shuckle into a monstrous tank, but it is ultimately a luck-based move, and Shuckle will often not have enough time to set it up properly. Rest is an option for full recovery, but the loss of momentum generated by using Rest is so great that it's hardly worth it, even when paired with a cleric. Besides, Shuckle doesn't need to last forever, it just needs to get down a couple of hazards for its team. Power Split averages the offensive stats of two Pokemon, and can be useful as it essentially halves the foe's offensive stats as Shuckle's are nonexistent. Shell Smash can be used with Contrary to act as a pseudo-Cosmic Power, along with Toxic, Rest, Power Split. However, this set is incredibly hard to pull off correctly in the fast-paced OU metagame, as it is hard-countered by Taunt users, Poison-types, and Steel-types. As a result, it will often be a waste of a teamslot.

Checks & Counters
=============

**Magic Bounce**: Pokemon with Magic Bounce, such as Espeon or Mega Absol, reflect back any hazards that Shuckle tries to set up, preventing Shuckle from completing its job.

GP approved 1/2
Holy crap, that was fast. Thanks a lot for the GP check.

MyNameIsVeryCreative

Banned deucer.
Don't forget, Shuckle can trap opposing magic bounce abusers such as Espeon and mega Absol by using infestation. Switch out to the appropriate check/counter and finish them off. For this reason I don't think magic bounce users would be too much of a problem for Shuckle. I'm not saying you should erase them from the checks and counters section, just thought you could mention the fact that they are easy to deal with if Shuckle runs infestation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)