[Signups] Magic the Gathering: Tournament I

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Magic the Gathering: Tournament I
Approved By BillydaKid

Hello Magic the Gathering friends. Welcome to the first ever Magic the Gathering Tournament on Smogon.
In order to play in this tournament, you need to have Cockarice downloaded and working before the tournament starts. You can find details and instructions on their website: http://cockatrice.de/

You can also ask one of the members in #mtg for helping setting up

This will be a Modern tournament. The banlist, blocks and other misc item can be found at the official Wizard of the Coasts website http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Res...rces/sfrmodern

The tournament rules are directly ripped from the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament (Atticus is a boss and let me, so thanks to him)

Tournament Rules:
1. All players must carefully familiarize themselves with the latest rulebook and follow the rules carefully.
2. If there is a dispute in terms of rulings, refer to the Magic Wiki or ask a knowledgable person on our IRC channel #mtg.
3. Game discussion will be held on #mtg on irc.synirc.net. This can also be used to schedule matches and find some help for your deck! I can't stress this chat enough, there's almost always someone on and I encourage you to use it for anything MTG related
4. You DO HAVE TO use the same deck throughout the entire tournament and you CANNOT change your deck during the same round.
4a. In order to be fair, send in decks to TheAngry Scientist; he has generously volunteered to collect the decks for the tournament in order to make sure that people aren't changing between rounds. Thanks!
5. The tournament is played in two parts: the first part of the tournament will be a Swiss round. The number of people that signup will be divided into 2 group. Each player will play all the other players in a best of 3. The 2 players with the best records from each group will move onto the round of 4. The #1 seed from group one will then play the #2 from group two and vice versa. The proceeding rounds will be best of 3 as well.
6. No player may reveal the contents of their opponent's deck. Doing so will get you kicked out of the tournament and banned from future tournaments
7. Each player may use a 15 card Side Deck or no sideboard at all; nothing in between
8. Creativity is encouraged, although not mandatory. (Ripping other peoples decks off the internet isn't a bad idea *wink wink*)
9. It is advised that players compete whilst drunk, high, or any other mood to insure the most fun possibly. EVERYONE and their mom wants to duel a drunk Hobo Joe.
10. - All matches will be played on Cockatrice in best 2 out of 3 match format. NO exceptions.

11. Signups will be up until next Thursday at 5 PM MST

The current signup list is as follows:

1. matty
2. Lady Salamance
3. tad38
4. asim
5. Loos
6. Mr Escalator
7. Yuri
8. Temperantia
9. whistle the gay
10.sandman
11. Myzozoa
12. Tea Demon
13. ibojangles
14. Shiki
15. Iron
16. Fig
17. IPL
18. Phiddlesticks
19. Timetwister
20. Blue Captain

Good luck guys

theangryscientist

angry, not mad
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
matty said:
4a. In order to be fair, send in your decks to me; I will find someone to collect the decks for the Pool that I'm in so that I won't have an unfair advantage. If you feel uncomfortable with this, we have work arounds, but trust me when I say, I'm not going to cheat.
since i won't be playing at all, i volunteer to collect the decklists

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
In, gonna make some sort of midrange deck that will lose to 12-post in a hilarious fashion. Also im predicting splinter-twin to win this entire thing.

matty

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank you so much to TheAngryScientist, he has volunteered to collect the decklists. I have updated rule 4a. accordingly :D

Fig

Needs to stop disappearing.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm in. My decklist is pretty much finalized, still on the fence on whether I want to run one set of cards or another.

matty

Ok, unfortunately I have to make an executive decision. Since we had a lot more signups than I originally thought I'm going to change some of the rules accordingly.

1) I'm going to have to close signups to 20. We can have more people signup as subs. Why am I doing this? (Well I'm glad you asked)
2) With an even number of people (20) we would have 10 people in each pool. That is way to big. Instead, lets split up the pools into 4s. Each pool with have 5 people in it.
3) Again, like I stated above, the #1 and #2 seeds from each pool with advance. Since we have 4 pools, we will have a Ro8 instead of the Ro4.
4) The games will still be Bo3s. That rule hasn't changed.

Now I hope people realize why I'm doing this. I think it will make the tournament run a lot smoother and plus you'll have a much better chance of moving on out of pool play. If you have any concerns, send me a wall or PM.

matty

And with BlueCaptain as our last one to sign up, I'm going to close this thread and start making the pools and post the Round 1 list soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)