Silly Things You've Seen On The OU Ladder!

I primarily play doubles (my rank will tell you I almost exclusively play doubles but for obvious reasons they don't count tournaments on Frost) but once upon a time, I actually reached a fairly alright rank on the OU ladder through about 180 battles. Now it takes some willpower to remember all of this, but I'll see what I can do:
Keldeo with Aqua Jet, Sacred (yes, SACRED) Sword, Waterfall and some other move I didn't see because I killed it too quickly (not to mention outside of rain too)
Politoed, and yes I know it's been covered how dumb it can be to use a non-Drizzle Politoed. I see some (albeit rather limited) potential in Water Absorb, but Damp? Really? DAMP?
Zoroark at all can be a big risk, but honestly why even try if it isn't running a Focus Sash or a Scarf?
And while I did state earlier I reached a semi-decent rank (before I swore eternal hatred for Politoed, Breloom and Cloyster I was around 1675? Eh, server reset and I lost it all) it never really got better than "semi-decent". As such, I had a lot of failures based on my early belief that I would only feel comfortable if I had used Pokemon with abilities I already had in-game...such as Toxicroak with Anticipation and Dread Plate Liepard with Unburden...yes I actually did them legitimately thinking they would be succesful. So that's my contribution to some of the worst things I've seen in my time around the OU area.

Last edited:
(This was also a long time ago, when I was a noob, and before I became Gym Leader ness)
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-18263416
Forfeited because Durant almost swept his team. Also, Zoroark. That used HP Ice on Heatran. I was pretty stupid at the time, too. Hydro Pump in the sun, what was I thinking?! And first turn, why did I not bring in TTar or Hippo? Hell, why have them on the same team?! Anyway, everyone starts as a noob.

I primarily play doubles (my rank will tell you I almost exclusively play doubles but for obvious they don't count tournaments on Frost) but once upon a time, I actually reached a fairly alright rank on the OU ladder through about 180 battles. Now it takes some willpower to remember all of this, but I'll see what I can do:
Keldeo with Aqua Jet, Sacred (yes, SACRED) Sword, Waterfall and some other move I didn't see because I killed it too quickly (not to mention outside of rain too)
Politoed, and yes I know it's been covered how dumb it can be to use a non-Drizzle Politoed. I see some (albeit rather limited) potential in Water Absorb, but Damp? Really? DAMP?
Zoroark at all can be a big risk, but honestly why even try if it isn't running a Focus Sash or a Scarf?
And while I did state earlier I reached a semi-decent rank (before I swore eternal hatred for Politoed, Breloom and Cloyster I was around 1675? Eh, server reset and I lost it all) it never really got better than "semi-decent". As such, I had a lot of failures based on my early belief that I would only feel comfortable if I had used Pokemon with abilities I already had in-game...such as Toxicroak with Anticipation and Dread Plate Liepard with Unburden...yes I actually did them legitimately thinking they would be succesful. So that's my contribution to some of the worst things I've seen in my time around the OU area.
I came across a Keldeo with Close Combat on the ladder yesterday. Also a Politoed with water absorb + manual rain. And a team that literally had sleep talk on EVERYTHING.

As for Zoroark, I've used specs on it before. Put it in on something you'll outspeed or force a switch from anyway. The difference in power is noticeable, and it often gets ohko's. Especially when your opponent doesn't know it's Zoroark, and therefore doesn't expect to get hit with a Flamethrower from a Ferrothorn...

So, a new team I've tested on the ladder has caused a fair amount of rage quits. It's time to bring up a different type of silly thing I've come across on the ladder. The amount of rage coming from some people when they lose a match is a bit absurd, to say the least. If the game enrages you enough to say something to your opponent that can't be said on TV, maybe it's time to put it down and do something else....

On a similar note, another silly thing I've come across a couple times are people before who say "GG" when they've killed 3 things, and then "nevermind" when their entire team gets swept by something else I have left.

That's true, but the funny part is the way he took it. He swore at me and rage-quitted. Just because of my Durant's hax.
So it's totally fine to haz out and critflinch, but not to get irritated and quit? What makes it worse is that judging from yiur tone, you probably didn't apologize either. Just for the sake if good practice, I often apologize about hax as it's more often than not complete bs.
Also during suspect there was this guy with a stunfisk who I tried explaining stuff to but called me a copypaster and crap like that. We all know who won.

LilOuOn
It is also a great switch-in against top tier threats such as Jirachi, Staraptor and Scizor, as well as being an effective pivot in the tier. It also stops one of the arguably biggest threats in the meta, Tynamo. I'm such a fucking idiot.
Also same postcount :>

So it's totally fine to haz out and critflinch, but not to get irritated and quit? What makes it worse is that judging from yiur tone, you probably didn't apologize either. Just for the sake if good practice, I often apologize about hax as it's more often than not complete bs.
Also during suspect there was this guy with a stunfisk who I tried explaining stuff to but called me a copypaster and crap like that. We all know who won.
He left before I could talk to him. And that was before I learned etiquette (a couple of months ago).

Oh yeah. Wacan Berry Starmie, Quick Feet Jolteon, Special Flygon, and Night Slash Skarm. In the same battle.

Last edited:
Start of turn 7
RS Slide called Starmie back!
RS Slide sent out Volcarona!
RS Slide's Volcarona is hurt by spikes!

Didz's Ferrothorn used Aerial Ace!
It's super effective!
RS Slide's Volcarona lost 36% of its health!

Start of turn 9
RS Slide's Volcarona used Giga Drain!
It's super effective!
Didz's Tyranitar lost 53% of its health!
Didz's Tyranitar had its energy drained!
Didz's Tyranitar's Air Balloon popped!
RS Slide's Volcarona is hurt by its Life Orb!

Didz's Tyranitar used Smack Down!
It's super effective!
Stop Overpredicting: new meta sets
RS Slide's Volcarona lost 69% of its health!
RS Slide's Volcarona fainted!

Start of turn 16
RS Slide called Breloom back!
RS Slide sent out Scizor!

Didz's Skarmory flew high up!

The sandstorm rages.
Didz's Skarmory restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 17
Didz's Skarmory used Fly!
RS Slide's Scizor lost 23% of its health!

RS Slide's Scizor used Swords Dance!
RS Slide's Scizor's Attack sharply rose!

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Start of turn 7
RS Slide called Starmie back!
RS Slide sent out Volcarona!
RS Slide's Volcarona is hurt by spikes!

Didz's Ferrothorn used Aerial Ace!
It's super effective!
RS Slide's Volcarona lost 36% of its health!

Start of turn 9
RS Slide's Volcarona used Giga Drain!
It's super effective!
Didz's Tyranitar lost 53% of its health!
Didz's Tyranitar had its energy drained!
Didz's Tyranitar's Air Balloon popped!
RS Slide's Volcarona is hurt by its Life Orb!

Didz's Tyranitar used Smack Down!
It's super effective!
Stop Overpredicting: new meta sets
RS Slide's Volcarona lost 69% of its health!
RS Slide's Volcarona fainted!

Start of turn 16
RS Slide called Breloom back!
RS Slide sent out Scizor!

Didz's Skarmory flew high up!

The sandstorm rages.
Didz's Skarmory restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 17
Didz's Skarmory used Fly!
RS Slide's Scizor lost 23% of its health!

RS Slide's Scizor used Swords Dance!
RS Slide's Scizor's Attack sharply rose!
I don't see how a heavy ass Durian fruit is even capable of going airborne....

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Aerial Ace isn't technically an aerial attack. It's based on a sword technique invented by Sasaki Kojiro called the "Turning Swallow Cut", and involves slashing at the foe twice at very high speed, first downward, then immediately up (hence the Japanese name of the move, which translates to "Swallow's Return"). Flying Pokemon generally use their wings for the slashing, if the manga is any indicator, and most everything else just uses claws. Apparently the barbs on Ferrothorn's vine-things count for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)