Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay i was asked for a clearer explanation. The 4 forms of priority I have on my team are Ice Shard, Extremespeed, Mach Punch, and Bullet Bunch. Again the question is with these forms of priority on my team, is it necessary to use a scarfer????
Okay the priority users I have are scizor Breloom weavile, and dragonite. The only reason why I didn't put theses pokes on before was because this is not the rmt forum. If I needed help on one of my teams, without making a big shiny rmt for it what is the best thread for me?

Ps: if one of your guys were really interested in helping me, I could pm my team to you.

Okay the priority users I have are scizor Breloom weavile, and dragonite. The only reason why I didn't put theses pokes on before was because this is not the rmt forum. If I needed help on one of my teams, without making a big shiny rmt for it what is the best thread for me?

Ps: if one of your guys were really interested in helping me, I could pm my team to you.
Go here if you're want general information about team building. Some of it is overly basic, but over times it can be helpful in what you should use and not use. Don't post asking for help with your team, read the thread, it should give you a better understanding of fixing up minor problems.

Hi, I need help building an OU stall team.

What three pokemon forms a strong defensive core, has complementary typings, has all three hazards, has rapid spin and has some form of phazing?

Thanks in advance.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

What three pokemon forms a strong defensive core, has complementary typings, has all three hazards, has rapid spin and has some form of phazing?

Thanks in advance.
There really isn't one. Rather, all of these things should be spread over the entire team. Stall doesn't run defensive "cores"; rather, the entire team (with the possible exception of a cleanup / revenge killer Pokemon) needs to function as a huge defensive core.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Thanks in advance.
You'd be far too hardpressed to find that in 3 pokemon, that's more of a structure for an entire team. There may be some combination of 3 mons out there that fit that criteria, but you'd likely end up compromising on other key things, such as pokemon viability. A better plan would be to build your entire team with the goal of good team synergy, checking and countering a majority of threats in the metagame, spinning, hazards, phazing, etc.

Thanks for all the advice.

The reason I was looking for those three pokemon is for a sort of "quick-stall team" where I have three prankster abusers (sableye, whimsicott, and riolu) spreading statues, crippling sweepers and generally being an annoyance. However those three pokemon don't have much synergy and doesn't carry any entry hazards, thus I was looking for three other defensive pokemon that can compensate for those pokemon's short comings.

Blizzard

@ NeverMeltIce
Um..had some questions here.

Firstly, how do critical hits work? I mean what are the chances of getting a critical hit every turn? I've heard they increase after a certain amount of turns.

And secondly, how does reflect type choose the type, if the opponents has two types? If my latias reftect types a tyranitar, will it copy the rock type or the dark type? What will happen if latias uses reflect type on tyranitar twice?

Lastly, am i right in assuming that the Life Orb number (9) applies to every pokemon?

I'd like some help on these. Thanks!

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Um..had some questions here.

Firstly, how do critical hits work? I mean what are the chances of getting a critical hit every turn? I've heard they increase after a certain amount of turns.

And secondly, how does reflect type choose the type, if the opponents has two types? If my latias reftect types a tyranitar, will it copy the rock type or the dark type? What will happen if latias uses reflect type on tyranitar twice?

Lastly, am i right in assuming that the Life Orb number (9) applies to every pokemon?

I'd like some help on these. Thanks!
I believe that the chance of a critical hit on any given turn is 6.25% with a normal move. I know for a fact that the chance of getting a critical hit does not increase after time. HOWEVER because of how probability works, over time, you have more of a chance of getting a critical hit, hence the term "begging the crit." What I mean is, on any given turn you have a 6.25% chance, but the probability of going five turns with no critical hit is 72.42% because EVERY turn you have 93.75% chance of not getting a crit. So that's probably what people meant when they said it increases with time.

I don't know about Reflect Type.

Life Orb numbers work with every Pokemon except for Shedinja for obvious reasons.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I believe reflect type copies te opponent's primary type. For example ferrothorn is steel/grass, so it would copy steel. This varies from Pokemon to Pokemon.

Either that or it will copy dual typing

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Either that or it will copy dual typing
It copies the dual typing so if you copy ferrothorn you will be steel/grass.

Life Orb numbers are barely useful in the OU metagame their main use is in little cup where the difference between losing 1 and 2 HP per move is a lot more significant. I am also pretty sure they have other drawbacks like losing more HP to SR and other residual damage so OU players usually don't use LO numbers since the cons outweight the pros.

TGMD

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It copies the dual typing so if you copy ferrothorn you will be steel/grass.

Life Orb numbers are barely useful in the OU metagame their main use is in little cup where the difference between losing 1 and 2 HP per move is a lot more significant. I am also pretty sure they have other drawbacks like losing more HP to SR and other residual damage so OU players usually don't use LO numbers since the cons outweight the pros.
You take more damage from rocks if your HP is divisible by 8 (or 4 or 2, depending on how weak to rock they are), you take more damage from Sandstorm if your HP is divisible by 16, etc. So, although it's not always the best idea to go far out of your way to get Life Orb numbers, they're still beneficial, and there are no cons about them.

A little question (I'm fairly new to OU) - If I have a pokemon with Serene Grace and King's Rock, then use Iron Head, what are the chances of getting a flinch?
So, my second question is -
Would Jirachi with SmashPass support work? With +2/+2, it should have no problem flinching the opponent's entire team to death while I can run coverage moves for things that resist Iron Head.
Any thoughts/suggestions?

blitzlefan

shake it off!

Well... none of these seem particularly able to deal with Volcarona, except for Dragonite if Volcarona lacks HP Rock. Volcarona is a pretty big threat, which may require a scarfer to beat if it gets the chance to set up. Perhaps scarf Terrakion could work?

TGMD

A little question (I'm fairly new to OU) - If I have a pokemon with Serene Grace and King's Rock, then use Iron Head, what are the chances of getting a flinch?
Would Jirachi with SmashPass support work? With +2/+2, it should have no problem flinching the opponent's entire team to death while I can run coverage moves for things that resist Iron Head.
Serene Grace + Iron Head + King's Rock gives you a 64% flinch chance, that's only 4% higher than Serene Grace + Iron head. So you should never use King's Rock unless it's on a pokemon with Skill Link and a multi-hit move, eg. Cloyster's Icicle Spear has a 41% flinch chance. I'm not a big fan of SmashPass, but I know that Jirachi is one of the best recipients out there :)

EDIT: @Arcticblast: yes it is :o

Actually, Iron Head is not affected by King's Rock, as odd as that may seem.
It's either a glitch or Game Freak is on to us Haxers O.o

MR.EON said:
Jirachi is an excellent smash pass receiver due to it resisting E-Speed and Ice Shard and being neutral to Vacuum Wave, Mach Punch, and Sucker Punch.

Physically,
Iron Head / Fire Punch / Ice Punch / Body Slam would be what I would run.
Specially,
Psyshock / Thunder(bolt) / Grass Knot / HP Fire

It's either a glitch or Game Freak is on to us Haxers O.o

Jirachi is an excellent smash pass receiver due to it resisting E-Speed and Ice Shard and being neutral to Vacuum Wave, Mach Punch, and Sucker Punch.

Physically,
Iron Head / Fire Punch / Ice Punch / Body Slam would be what I would run.
Specially,
Psyshock / Thunder(bolt) / Grass Knot / HP Fire
Thanks for the replies. However, on the physical set posted here, how can I get past Heatran? On the special set, I can see Thunder doing something. Also, what purpose does Body Slam serve on recipient Jirachi since its getting a +2 speed boost anyway?
Another thing - what would be the item for such a set? Expert Belt can boost the elemental punches, but Metal Coat also seems decent for boosting Iron Head.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Thanks for the replies. However, on the physical set posted here, how can I get past Heatran?
By using Drain Punch instead of Body Slam and you should use Thunderbolt instead of Fire/Ice Punch with a mixed EV spread, to deal with Jellicent, Skarmory easier.

Thanks for the replies. However, on the physical set posted here, how can I get past Heatran? On the special set, I can see Thunder doing something. Also, what purpose does Body Slam serve on recipient Jirachi since its getting a +2 speed boost anyway?
Another thing - what would be the item for such a set? Expert Belt can boost the elemental punches, but Metal Coat also seems decent for boosting Iron Head.
Smash pass Jirachi shouldn't be primarily physical or special, but mixed. Here's an rmt that uses smash pass and it has a good jirachi set.http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3467482

I've been out of the game since around when BW2 came out. What's changed in the metagame since then?
Shit went down.

But seriously, a lot.
I'd recommend going on an alt and battling with a team you just threw together in order to get a feel for the threats you're going to need to prepare for.

I've been out of the game since around when BW2 came out. What's changed in the metagame since then?
So a lot has happened. You can check you this article. As for bans: Genesect, Tornadus-T, and just recently Deoxys-Defense and Kyurem-Black fell to OU. I would look in the OU Viability thread and see the top threats and just to battle and get a feel for the metagame now.

If I missed anything someone can add on to this.

How is my Haxorus?

@Muacle Band
Mold Breaker,
Adamant
Atk: 410
Def: 213
Sp.Atk: pointless
Sp. Def: 155
Speed: super low at 262

~dragon Dance
~earthquake
~dragon claw
~brick brake

im asking as im redoing mt teams as they kinda sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)