Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers / Little Cup Information / Forum Rules

Okay so, the best archetype atm is balance, and balance cores are always the same.

You know the core of reference in LC ? It's Mienfoo / Foongus / Vullaby / Onix.

This core actually is composed of : a fighting type : Mienfoo most of the time, a fighting check : here you can choose between poison types like Foongus and Mareanie, the former also being a spore switchin, and fairy types like spritzee or snubbull, a flying type : most of the time, it will be a Vullaby there but you can go for Wingull or even put the two together to create a sort of flyspam, and a flying check : Onix, Tirtouga, Pawniard, Magnemite competiting for that slot, and to that you can add some soft-checks due to the flying checks being worn down easily througout the match, like Mudbray or Ferroseed, which is also a spore switchin.

Plus, the fight/fightcheck/flying/flyingcheck core also has other things that make it efficient and solid (taking the example of standard Mienfoo / Foongus / Vullaby / Onix) : knock off support (mienfoo and vullaby), hazard control (onix sets up sr's, vull removes them), spore switchin (foongus, there), recovery (regencore foo + foongus & Vull's Berry Juice ?), speed control (vull and onix have weak armor which doubles their speed to toppling amounts, foo can be 17 speed (even if bulky foo seems preferred to its ability to tank Vull early game and to offer a slowturn), a voltturn core (vullaby + mienfoo), and I could continue, but if you have everything I listed, you've covered a big part of the tier.

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
hi, could i get some tips on making a team? i've been using sample teams, but i want my own.
The best advice that I can give to this is to take things you like from the sample teams and experiment. The teams are made to get you comfortable with the metagame so you can find what you like and would like to use. I wouldn't suggest following a core or a flowchart for building your first team, just put some things together that you like and if they don't work, feel free to swap them around!

The best advice that I can give to this is to take things you like from the sample teams and experiment. The teams are made to get you comfortable with the metagame so you can find what you like and would like to use. I wouldn't suggest following a core or a flowchart for building your first team, just put some things together that you like and if they don't work, feel free to swap them around!
okay, thank you for the help :)

I just have a curiosity about Little Cup, If someone could explain to me: We really can't use a stall team in Little Cup? If yes, what would be the main reason for that? Remembering that's a great difference from another tiers where we can use balance, offense and stall teams. I can see a lot of offense teams when I play Little Cup, would it be a factor?

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I just have a curiosity about Little Cup, If someone could explain to me: We really can't use a stall team in Little Cup? If yes, what would be the main reason for that? Remembering that's a great difference from another tiers where we can use balance, offense and stall teams. I can see a lot of offense teams when I play Little Cup, would it be a factor?
Offense is naturally stronger in Little Cup because of how the damage formula favours power at lower levels combined with Knock Off being available on numerous viable Pokemon.

Is Froakie not viable in LC? It seems like it would be (I'm new to LC so I don't know) but it maxes out at 17 speed which seems to be below average for a mon that doesn't really have too much bulk. If I had to guess it's generally just outclassed by Wingull and Pelipper, but I'm not sure.

Also, are there any standard sets with Z-moves in LC? From what I can tell they're all lures or Z-Me First Mienfoo.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Is Froakie not viable in LC? It seems like it would be (I'm new to LC so I don't know) but it maxes out at 17 speed which seems to be below average for a mon that doesn't really have too much bulk. If I had to guess it's generally just outclassed by Wingull and Pelipper, but I'm not sure.

Also, are there any standard sets with Z-moves in LC? From what I can tell they're all lures or Z-Me First Mienfoo.
Froakie isn't viable in LC. It's not fast enough and not strong enough to function similarly to Protean Greninja in OU, so generally other Pokemon (including Wingull like you mentioned - though not the evolved Pelipper) are a better choice for teams.

Diglett runs Groundium Z a very large amount of the time. You'll also see Z moves on other Pokemon who need a stronger STAB attack or a way to break through a counter.

Froakie isn't viable in LC. It's not fast enough and not strong enough to function similarly to Protean Greninja in OU, so generally other Pokemon (including Wingull like you mentioned - though not the evolved Pelipper) are a better choice for teams.

Diglett runs Groundium Z a very large amount of the time. You'll also see Z moves on other Pokemon who need a stronger STAB attack or a way to break through a counter.
I definitely meant to say Wingull and Carvhana... it's been one of those weeks, I guess :psyduck:
That does make sense though. Thanks!

I don't know if this really counts as a double post since the last post was Sunday but sorry if it is!

What advantages does Timburr have over Mienfoo aside from more reliable priority in Mach Punch? It seems to me that Mienfoo has everything a fighting type in this tier really wants, so I'm not sure why anyone would use a different fighting type instead of it.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I don't know if this really counts as a double post since the last post was Sunday but sorry if it is!

What advantages does Timburr have over Mienfoo aside from more reliable priority in Mach Punch? It seems to me that Mienfoo has everything a fighting type in this tier really wants, so I'm not sure why anyone would use a different fighting type instead of it.
Priority that isn't blocked by Protect and is actually decently strong, a strong Drain Punch that helps keep it healthy without needing to switch out, and access to the various elemental punches that are boosted by Iron Fist for coverage.

It also can run a somewhat effective Bulk Up set or Guts to make it way less troubled by status compared to Mienfoo. Most teams appreciate a Mienfoo more than Timburr, but Timburr does have useful advantages over Mienfoo.

The forums have been pretty inactive atm so I kind of want to start something. What is the most hated Pokémon in lc?
Cast you vote in the reply I guess and I will take notes until 1st December. May the most annoying, broken, personaly hated, OmG why is this still in the game Pokémon win.

Really? Two likes and still no replies? Confusing

Well, it’s well and truly over now,

Last edited:
Wondering if there was a community somewhere that likes to battle in older gens of LC ? I liked gen 6 lc the best (no pory ban, no gale nerf, etc) Jw where I could find battles

DC

Kpop Main, No Brain
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is pineco viable at all? Why/why not?
Pineco is not viable at all in normal LC. As a hazard setter, it is outclassed by dwebble which has a much better speed, allowing it to get hazards up faster. Also, the widespread usage of vullaby and onix only makes pineco's life even harder since pineco's bulk and speed is just not good.

Merritt

no comment
Head TD
Is pineco viable at all? Why/why not?
It is not. There's a couple reasons for this, but the biggest one is being generally outclassed by Dwebble in a hazard setting role. The compression of hazard removal via Rapid Spin onto Pineco doesn't particularly help considering Pineco's lack of longevity and vulnerability to all hazards. While it's got good Defense, it's heavily held back by its typing and other stats - it's very slow and takes hits poorly on the special side while also lacking offensive pressure sufficient to deal with Pokemon like Vullaby, Mienfoo, Timburr, and Onix.

You could in theory try to make Pineco work but overall you're much better off using a better hazard setter and putting removal on a better Pokemon like Staryu or Vullaby.

I keep seeing illegal pokemon - such as Abra with its hidden ability (Magic Guard) and the move Counter (which can only be learned via move tutor in Gen III). Why is this allowed? Or am I missing something?

Floss

never forgotten
is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Leader
Are Z-Moves viable in Little Cup? I always see Eviolite/Berry Juice. Also, BD Zig with Tect is troublesome to counter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)