Resource Simple Questions/Simple Answers: Random Battles Edition

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
What's Zoroark's and hisuian zoroark's level? It's not in that list because of illusion but what is it internally?
doesn't have one internally, the field for level is fully ommitted for them

in that case, if you know, what is the average level of random battles pokemon and what are the zoroark's winrates?
You can view winrates with the "/rwr" command. The average level is probably somewhere around 82ish, if i had to guess, though it may be higher.

I got reverse swept from 4-1 to 0-1 by a Last Respects Basculegion while lacking a single Ghost immunity/resistance
Was that unlucky or should we ring the BAN bells

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I got revenge swept from 5-1 to 0-1 by a Last Respects Basculegion while lacking a single Ghost immunity/resistance
Was that unlucky or should we ring the BAN bells
Last Respects is something the set development council will be holding a vote on already.

Hello, I'm trying to improve my performance in random battles and am often surprised by the movesets of opposing pokemon. In random battles development guidelines, #7 (we try to keep the code concise), it says "...More of these "hardcodes" also artificially raises the skill level required to play Random Battles optimally, because you need to memorize countless Pokemon-specific rules instead of a smaller set of general rules..." My question is if there is a list of these general rules for movesets and if it can be shared? Or, can you highlight some of the most common rules that determine movesets. Thank you.

Hello, I'm trying to improve my performance in random battles and am often surprised by the movesets of opposing pokemon. In random battles development guidelines, #7 (we try to keep the code concise), it says "...More of these "hardcodes" also artificially raises the skill level required to play Random Battles optimally, because you need to memorize countless Pokemon-specific rules instead of a smaller set of general rules..." My question is if there is a list of these general rules for movesets and if it can be shared? Or, can you highlight some of the most common rules that determine movesets. Thank you.
This post describes how movesets are generated in general.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
can you guys make a good resource with all the cheat commands to see the sets in bf and bssf formats
or just in general all the cheaty resources that aren't available to the newer players because they're not advertised anywhere

Celever

i am town
can you guys make a good resource with all the cheat commands to see the sets in bf and bssf formats
or just in general all the cheaty resources that aren't available to the newer players because they're not advertised anywhere
Most of these cheaty resources are in /rfaq tools in the random battles chat, these being the setodds API, randbats browser extension, and rands calc. We use this command quite frequently and often when we do multiple newer users say "oh that's cool I'll add the browser extension" at worst. Calcdex / Showdex could also be added to the rfaq but some auth are resistant to it because it can be occasionally inaccurate, though tends to be more accurate in rands than other formats, and slows your Pokémon Showdown! down.

The bf and bssf commands are genuinely quite bad and are something that most of us among auth have campaigned to have streamlined and implemented better (i.e. defaulting to the format of the battle chat the command is used in like /randbats does, and being /bf and /bssf instead of /battlefactory and /bssfactory) but devs haven't been particularly responsive to it. I would say that would ultimately solve this more than having a temporary resource on Smogon would, and when people ask in the chat someone always swiftly offers an explanation about how the command works.

I wouldn't be against a resource if we had a lot of other stuff to include in it, but I genuinely think we don't. The majority of our Smogon resources have pretty small footfall, and almost all of it is from getting linked in the room on showdown, where we could just do !rfaq tools anyway. But if you think there is a list of cheaty stuff that is longer than an rfaq, therefore requiring a Smogon post link instead, feel free to reply. I'm just coming up short with them.

On reflection, I do think we should have included info on the /battlefactory and /bssfactory commands in the OP of the multifactory open, though.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Most of these cheaty resources are in /rfaq tools in the random battles chat, these being the setodds API, randbats browser extension, and rands calc. We use this command quite frequently and often when we do multiple newer users say "oh that's cool I'll add the browser extension" at worst. Calcdex / Showdex could also be added to the rfaq but some auth are resistant to it because it can be occasionally inaccurate, though tends to be more accurate in rands than other formats, and slows your Pokémon Showdown! down.

The bf and bssf commands are genuinely quite bad and are something that most of us among auth have campaigned to have streamlined and implemented better (i.e. defaulting to the format of the battle chat the command is used in like /randbats does, and being /bf and /bssf instead of /battlefactory and /bssfactory) but devs haven't been particularly responsive to it. I would say that would ultimately solve this more than having a temporary resource on Smogon would, and when people ask in the chat someone always swiftly offers an explanation about how the command works.

I wouldn't be against a resource if we had a lot of other stuff to include in it, but I genuinely think we don't. The majority of our Smogon resources have pretty small footfall, and almost all of it is from getting linked in the room on showdown, where we could just do !rfaq tools anyway. But if you think there is a list of cheaty stuff that is longer than an rfaq, therefore requiring a Smogon post link instead, feel free to reply. I'm just coming up short with them.

On reflection, I do think we should have included info on the /battlefactory and /bssfactory commands in the OP of the multifactory open, though.
i guess i'm a bit of an outlier compared to most users in that i'm getting into randombattles after being shoulders deep into smogon, and so I look for resources on forums for everything and forget that PS! could ever hold anything of value

fair enough - I still don't see why you wouldn't have all that /rfaq tools info in a forum thread here, but I guess it's something that only affects me and a few others like me

Celever

i am town
i guess i'm a bit of an outlier compared to most users in that i'm getting into randombattles after being shoulders deep into smogon, and so I look for resources on forums for everything and forget that PS! could ever hold anything of value

fair enough - I still don't see why you wouldn't have all that /rfaq tools info in a forum thread here, but I guess it's something that only affects me and a few others like me
The main reason why we wouldn't is because we already have 12 pins in the subforum (too many TBH!) and it makes it hard to find what you need, but in checking that I did notice this OP is already out of date: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/random-battles-resources.3678461/ . My view is we could add the things in rfaq tools to the OP while updating it for gen 9, alongside adding descriptors for certain showdown tricks like /randbats, /battlefactory, and /bssfactory, and hey we should add a compendium for all the rands formats you can only challenge friends in through manual /challenge inputs here too. I acc don't think this post is in an rfaq right now either, so once this is done we can implement it into the room better.

I'll bring this up in staff channels but also tag A Cake Wearing A Hat Irpachuza and sharpclaw here as the mods of the forum to see this discussion and why it might be a good idea. I do think having a comprehensive cheat sheet instead of multiple cheat sheets depending on relevancy in the room would be an improvement, as more experienced rands players have them all memorised by now so it closes the seniority advantage a little.

FWIW (confirmed through communicating with the hosts of the Multifactory Open), we will include descriptions on /battlefactory and /bssfactory commands in the next round's post, and add that description to the OP. It's less useful in round 4 than it would have been from the start, but it's something :sphearical:

Hello, I wanted to reach out the Showdown team. I have ran a draft league in my local community (30+ people and steadily growing) for about 4 years now. We primarily play vgc, but I know the group also loves ranbats. We recently had a member even hit top 500. However I know that people in my local group have always wished to play a random VGC style ladder like there is for singles. It got me thinking and I wanted to reach out. Would you have any interest in starting a ladder for a random gen 9 VGC?

If so I'd be willing to take some of the work off of your backs. I could make a pokepaste (or whatever format would be needed) of generation 9 Pokemon while following the philosophy of "simple" builds (ev spreads) for ran bats (of course your team would have final say). The main difference being these would be VGC oriented builds. So moves like rage powder, follow me, protect, etc would be used to generate a more doubles centric experience while still having the fun and easiness of the random battles.

Irpa suggested I should start here.

Let me know what you think,
Thanks

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Hello, I wanted to reach out the Showdown team. I have ran a draft league in my local community (30+ people and steadily growing) for about 4 years now. We primarily play vgc, but I know the group also loves ranbats. We recently had a member even hit top 500. However I know that people in my local group have always wished to play a random VGC style ladder like there is for singles. It got me thinking and I wanted to reach out. Would you have any interest in starting a ladder for a random gen 9 VGC?

If so I'd be willing to take some of the work off of your backs. I could make a pokepaste (or whatever format would be needed) of generation 9 Pokemon while following the philosophy of "simple" builds (ev spreads) for ran bats (of course your team would have final say). The main difference being these would be VGC oriented builds. So moves like rage powder, follow me, protect, etc would be used to generate a more doubles centric experience while still having the fun and easiness of the random battles.

Irpa suggested I should start here.

Let me know what you think,
Thanks
Random Doubles is currently in progress and we are receiving help in our set crafting from Eeveon7, Smogon 's VGC leader. If you mean a Battle Factory style VGC format set at level 50 with item restrictions and such, that's unlikely to occur even with your help, as we would first like to prioritize BSS factory.

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead

This is now done, and the resources thread OP has been updated as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

Pardon if this isn't the right place to post this, but I wanted to ask: Is anything planned to be done about the situation with Delibird and Luvdisc? They have 45/41% winrates in a format where everything is meant to be between 48.5 and 51.5% winrate via level balancing. I understand randbats should have every mon in it, but those two mons are objectively very bad for competitive balance. The only way to keep them i can think of is to lower everything else's level, since delibird/luvdisc are already lvl 100.

Mathy

F░U░R░R░E░T░ I░N░ B░I░O░
is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Pardon if this isn't the right place to post this, but I wanted to ask: Is anything planned to be done about the situation with Delibird and Luvdisc? They have 45/41% winrates in a format where everything is meant to be between 48.5 and 51.5% winrate via level balancing. I understand randbats should have every mon in it, but those two mons are objectively very bad for competitive balance. The only way to keep them i can think of is to lower everything else's level, since delibird/luvdisc are already lvl 100.
Good question! It was discussed by the dev council to potentially lower every Pokemon's level to balance Luvdisc but they decided against it. Read more here but the short answer is that it would be a statistical nightmare -- either you take a naive approach like "level every pokemon down by 5" which was found to bias certain Pokemon, or find a more optimal level balancing strategy, which nobody is willing to do at least until after DLC

Will Soul Dew will be suspected for Latios and Latias? They are not fun mons to beat it, is not only a choice Specs, but one that has access to Calm Mind and 1.5 extra special defense, they can hold Regice Ice Beams as cookies

Celever

i am town
Will Soul Dew will be suspected for Latios and Latias? They are not fun mons to beat it, is not only a choice Specs, but one that has access to Calm Mind and 1.5 extra special defense, they can hold Regice Ice Beams as cookies
Soul Dew was recently unbanned by council vote. In order for it to happen again, 2/3 (I don’t remember off the top of my head) of people who originally voted for them to be unbanned would need to reopen the vote. I voted against them in the first place so I’m afraid I can’t help you out here, but I agree with you. They become dumb matchup fishes who lose speed and physical bulk, getting hard countered by a lot more than before, while also hard countering a lot more themselves…

Soul Dew was recently unbanned by council vote. In order for it to happen again, 2/3 (I don’t remember off the top of my head) of people who originally voted for them to be unbanned would need to reopen the vote. I voted against them in the first place so I’m afraid I can’t help you out here, but I agree with you. They become dumb matchup fishes who lose speed and physical bulk, getting hard countered by a lot more than before, while also hard countering a lot more themselves…
Sad, time to see gen4 becoming the worst playable rands tier, there is a good bunch of mons that are becoming a trouble (Just see delcatty eating any cb user)

Celever

i am town
Sad, time to see gen4 becoming the worst playable rands tier, there is a good bunch of mons that are becoming a trouble (Just see delcatty eating any cb user)
Update for full transparency purposes: I actually did vote to introduce them (it was a vote I was very divided on lol) and have formally nominated to reopen this discussion. If another council member who initially voted in favour also nominates to reopen it, we will take another vote on Soul Dew.

My personal preference is we gen-by-gen it because I think it is a positive in gen 3 rands, but most likely not later than that. I would ask top players in all effected formats their thoughts on Soul Dew after having been in formats for a couple months.

(Only correcting due to prior misinformation in this thread that resulted from not adequately checking how I voted oops. I would urge anyone reading this not to pressure council members into taking this course of action, we’re able to make good decisions ourselves.)

Hello Randbats Team,

First off thank you for the work you do for the community (myself included)! Random Battles made it easy for a noob like me to get into the game on PS.

LC has been my first dip into team building and I've been loving it. Lately I've been exploring the thought of Random Battles LC and thought I would propose something here. I figure this format could introduce others to LC in addition to being fun and chaotic as we've come to love with randbats.

Perhaps this is already in development. Either way, I would love to help make this into reality in any shape or form (building sets, testing, etc.).

I suppose my question is - how can I help make this idea into reality?

Thanks!

Celever

i am town
Hello Randbats Team,

First off thank you for the work you do for the community (myself included)! Random Battles made it easy for a noob like me to get into the game on PS.

LC has been my first dip into team building and I've been loving it. Lately I've been exploring the thought of Random Battles LC and thought I would propose something here. I figure this format could introduce others to LC in addition to being fun and chaotic as we've come to love with randbats.

Perhaps this is already in development. Either way, I would love to help make this into reality in any shape or form (building sets, testing, etc.).

I suppose my question is - how can I help make this idea into reality?

Thanks!
This is an idea we have and I can assure you this will exist if it’s plausible to actually be particularly functional at some point. The main issue with the format is that to actually be LC, it needs to retain that low level (like actual level). But rands has always used levels to even the power gap between the strongest and weakest Pokémon. An LC rands would also most likely include ALL stage 1 Pokémon that can evolve, so if you think the disparity between Onix and Applin is bad, in a couple months Duraludon could be there… (in practice we’d probably council vote on including some LC Ubers or not). The reason we’d include everything is that being good in teambuilt and rands tend to be very different things, and most importantly we wouldn’t want to delete mons from the format just because LC bans them or vice versa. At low levels, each level done in balancing means way way more, level 5->6 is far more impactful than level 85->86, so it depends on if the format can actually be authentically LC, and not a complete roulette wheel where whoever rolls the better team just wins.

All this is to say that this has been thought about, and will happen if properly devoting time to it becomes something we have time for. Current structure is that, while small edits happen to all formats all the time, major revamps happen one at a time. Creating a new format is a major revamp, and we’re currently majorly revamping almost every format one by one. LC is low on the list of priorities but it is there, and if we work out how to make the format possibly good, it will happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)