Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
I saw Avalugg in OU Role Compendium thread. I know it was ABR who used an Avalugg stall team, but I'm curious, which is the set? Or does someone has a replay of this team to see it in action?

Is a specially defensive Scizor usable to softcheck things like Magearna, Lele etc.? I need a reliable defogger and a special sponge since I've been losing to Lele a bit and I was hoping to compress the role with him since Mantine hasn't been working for me. Or are there other alternatives?

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Is a specially defensive Scizor usable to softcheck things like Magearna, Lele etc.? I need a reliable defogger and a special sponge since I've been losing to Lele a bit and I was hoping to compress the role with him since Mantine hasn't been working for me. Or are there other alternatives?
Spdef Scizor isn't that good most of the time. Especially if you mean non-mega. Both Lele and Magearna tend to carry HP Fire which usually 2hkos regardless.

I think Mantine or Mew might be you best option

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
If you mean non-mega, that is unviable. Magearna is a pretty good special sponge, especially regarding Lele. But as you want to compress the roles DragonKnightMaster has a decent idea, although specs lele can do heavy damage to mantine via psyshock and deal heavy damage to mew via moonblast.

Reactions: DKM

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
Zapdos is a counter. Koko and Toxic Lando are pretty good checks
It's important to keep in mind that Koko has a high chance of being knocked out by a +2 Hawlucha's HJK after 2 stealth rock switch-ins, and a low chance of being taken out by a +2 Hawlucha's HJK after a single stealth rock switch-in.

+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 210-248 (74.7 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <------(the calc)

Haven't really seen this discussed too much, with a few more mons getting sticky web now, which is the best setter (assuming you already have a rocker) and why? I've mostly been using Slurpuff but Ribombee might be better because of the initial speed, or Araquanid because it's fat.

Sash Araquanid is arguably the best right now, as it can take some hits but moreso for having an offensive presence after having set them.

Haven't really seen this discussed too much, with a few more mons getting sticky web now, which is the best setter (assuming you already have a rocker) and why? I've mostly been using Slurpuff but Ribombee might be better because of the initial speed, or Araquanid because it's fat.
Araquanid, my man u coudve just looked ar the vr tho

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Slurpuff is unviable for the most part as it doesn't bring much to the table outside of Unburden Endeavor, which is a cool gimmick but not worth using most of the time. Ribombee is also pretty trash because it doesn't do anything other than getting webs. Araquanid is the only viable Web setter out of the three because its bulk and raw power lets it take some hits and threaten a bunch of mons, check its analysis if u want more detail

Araquanid, my man u coudve just looked ar the vr tho
that doesn't up my post count good point but that applies to a lot of questions here lol

Slurpuff is unviable for the most part as it doesn't bring much to the table outside of Unburden Endeavor, which is a cool gimmick but not worth using most of the time. Ribombee is also pretty trash because it doesn't do anything other than getting webs. Araquanid is the only viable Web setter out of the three because its bulk and raw power lets it take some hits and threaten a bunch of mons, check its analysis if u want more detail
fair enough, but why is it not worth using? getting webs up and practically killing a mon seems really useful, ig that doesnt always happen but there cant be that many situations where it doesnt right? most applicable situations i can think of is u turning into something faster than you then the mon killing you wait defensive lando is everywhere nevermind

What is the most conventional way to get answers to Hawlucha? One might say "just don't let it set up" but no, the seed lets it set up on so many things. Stuff like specs ash gren / mega pinsir exists, but none of them reliably KO them without sacrificing its teammate for prior damage. I personally use Mimikyu or even sash + counter alakazam in offensive teams but what are your ways to deal with 'mon?

What is the most conventional way to get answers to Hawlucha? One might say "just don't let it set up" but no, the seed lets it set up on so many things. Stuff like specs ash gren / mega pinsir exists, but none of them reliably KO them without sacrificing its teammate for prior damage. I personally use Mimikyu or even sash + counter alakazam in offensive teams but what are your ways to deal with 'mon?
bulky zapdos and unaware clefable are two of the best defensive counter measures. Offensive counter measures include mons that can ko with priority after previous chip damage, such as the two you listed, or mons that can live a hit and ohko, such as a bulky or full health koko, or a Z-Fly landorus.

can try its usual c&c section if u want to rely on that, but, u can also use newly invented stuff like toxic rh lando or defensive fly z lando if thats what u want.

e: sniped

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
Zapdos is a fantastic counter most of the time. Just don't let it get worn down too much to the point that It won't be able to reliably roost back up and/or take on Hawlucha.

Last edited:

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Zapdos, Koko and toxic/z-fly defensive Lando all work.

Hippowdon also works because it takes a hit and whirlwinds lucha out, making it much easier to deal with.

Both Koko and Hippo need to be kept at a high amount of HP though.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
As everyone has said, Zapdos is definitely your best bet. Clef also works well, especially Unaware variants which completely shut down Lucha. Z-Fly Lando also works, I like that idea. Defensive Lando can also work but Roost is the standard these days so it's not reliable. Scarf Lando can actually work too as a check if you have Explosion, it can't switch in but on a free switch it will survive and kill with Explosion. Skarm and Hippo work but boosted Lucha 2HKOes skarm easily so those can really only be checks. Phasing in general is really nice - if you make it switch out Honestly it revolves around pressuring the opponent's team and well good play in general. I've heard unironic calls for bans on it because it really is a bitch to play around but there are decent answers. I can't really think of anything else tbh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)