Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How did heatran use Torment before my garchomp attacked with earthquake here? https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-906973391

At turn 5. I have a garchomp with choice scarf, it just doesn't make any sense how he got to attack and use torment first.
Heatran didn't use Torment first, it was behind a Substitute, which means it took the hit for Heatran. After the Substitute broke, Heatran used Torment after Garchomp attacked.

Heatran didn't use Torment first, it was behind a Substitute, which means it took the hit for Heatran. After the Substitute broke, Heatran used Torment after Garchomp attacked.
No, garchomp first used earthquake to break the substitute.

Then, turns were reset right? So I planned to use earthquake again, but somehow he uses Torment before I'm able to attack.

Reactions: gum
Honestly, if you're forced to put Stealth Rock on Choice Scarf Landorus-T, you should consider rebuilding your team. Whether Landorus-T is Choice Scarf or not is usually very obvious on team preview, meaning that if you lock into Stealth Rock, they'll just try to abuse Landorus-T. This issue becomes even more apparent once you actually reveal that your Landorus-T is holding a Choice Scarf by using U-turn against Tornadus-T or something like that.
Is there a difference between getting locked into Stealth Rock and Getting Locked into Defog?

Heatran used Tormet the same turn Garchomp used Earthquake

Forgive me because I don't understand what's going on still.

I switched in garchomp, he used substitute. Next I use earthquake and destroy the substitute. So after this, everything is neutral right? He selects Torment and I select Earthquake. I'm obviously way faster but he still attacks first. How does that happen?

Is there a difference between getting locked into Stealth Rock and Getting Locked into Defog?
Yes. Stealth Rock is absolutely essential in any match, meaning that you will want to have them up for most of the match, which is simply impossible if your Stealth Rock setter is Choice Scarf Landorus-T. Meanwhile, Defog is only used for emergencies, most likely alongside another Defogger, which should make up for Landorus-T's lack of reliability when Defogging.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Forgive me because I don't understand what's going on still.

I switched in garchomp, he used substitute. Next I use earthquake and destroy the substitute. So after this, everything is neutral right? He selects Torment and I select Earthquake. I'm obviously way faster but he still attacks first. How does that happen?
He didn't attack first.
Turn 4: You switch from Magnezone to Garchomp, Heatran uses Substitute.
Turn 5: Garchomp uses Earthquake, Heatran uses Torment.

Showdown is pretty clear about this.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
What has made Tapu Fini so good nowadays? I remember when it was like the worst Tapu.
Not sure how simple this is, but I feel like all this is necessary.

Tapu Fini is the best Ash-Greninja switch in that removes all hazards. Not only that, but it can switch into Heatran also and Defog on that too (although it does find that more difficult to do). Misty Terrain means you have the choice of switching in your physical attackers in on Toxapex without fearing a burn. It can be EV'd to be an answer to Hawlucha but I wouldn't say it's the best at doing that.

Tapu Fini also has a lot of viable moves to choose from. Scald can punish Bulu switching in since it cancels the terrain whereas Surf has some nice damage output on Gliscor, Heatran, etc. Moonblast is obviously a great spammable STAB move and Fini has decent SpAtk to fire it off from. Nature's madness is really good for obvious reasons and can be paired with Taunt and Whirlpool to screw Toxapex. Knock Off is another decent option too, which means Fini can hinder some of its switch ins like Ferrothorn.

People seemed to not like Fini because it lacked recovery and because they thought that there were better alternatives. The point about recovery still stands, but I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be since you can just, well, not let it take unnecessary damage and keep a back up Greninja check (which all teams should have anyway) just in case. Alternatively, you could have Wish support. As for "better alternatives", I don't believe this was ever true, as Misty Terrain instantly being set and being the only defogger that can reliably switch in on Ash-Greninja are traits unique to Tapu Fini. You can count Matine for the latter, I guess, but other than having reliable recovery, Tapu Fini strictly outclasses it.

To be honest I always thought that Tapu Fini was a great Pokemon and never really understood where the hate for it came from. Glad it's getting the respect it deserves.

Last edited:
In the strategy dex, under Mew's entry, it is said that Mew can be used with a spread of 80HP / 244SpD / 184Spe and a careful nature to check Heatran, Mega Diancie, and Tapu Lele. However, Mega Diancie has a slight chance to 2HKO this set with diamond storm (with only 4 attack EVs), and specs Lele has a nearly 70% chance to 2HKO with moonblast. Even if you run 92 / 244 / 172 instead, Lele still has a solid chance of 2HKOing.

Am I missing something, or is this just an iffy check? Is there a way to make mew a better check to these 'mons (while still checking Heatran)? Is there a better 'mon for the role?

In the strategy dex, under Mew's entry, it is said that Mew can be used with a spread of 80HP / 244SpD / 184Spe and a careful nature to check Heatran, Mega Diancie, and Tapu Lele. However, Mega Diancie has a slight chance to 2HKO this set with diamond storm (with only 4 attack EVs), and specs Lele has a nearly 70% chance to 2HKO with moonblast. Even if you run 92 / 244 / 172 instead, Lele still has a solid chance of 2HKOing.

Am I missing something, or is this just an iffy check? Is there a way to make mew a better check to these 'mons (while still checking Heatran)? Is there a better 'mon for the role?
you forgot leftovers in your lele calc. tapu lele has only a 14.1% chance to ohko and you can't go more spdef than that because of the mega diancie calc you shared yourself. honestly, the main concern here is that mew only has so much bulk, and you really want to outspeed heatran. i suppose you could run 72 speed instead for modest heatran or something, but that point you're completely banking on the fact that your opponent is not timid, which may not be ideal. honestly though, a 14.1% chance ain't too bad because hazards shouldn't be up if you're playing well enough and you can always pivot into another pokémon once you know what tapu lele is locked into, you can go mega aggron if you see a choice specs moonblast for example, not to mention that, leftovers + soft-boiled always heals more than specs moonblast, so if they get a roll of 183 or lower, you can just keep soft-boiling and lele won't be able to ko you unless it crits, that way you can get healthy enough to attack. overall it's a niche fit on stall and it fills a role very few pokémon can.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-908088508
Turn 16 how does choice scarf garchomp not kill tornadus with one hit? Garchomp has stab outrage with massive attack, tornadus has low defense/hp stats.
I feel the majority of your questions can be answered by careful dissection of your replays and, as Leo has shown, using a damage calculator.

"Big numbers with big base power move" doesn't always OHKO everything. Torn-T is a bit more bulky than you make it out to be.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is there a real reason why Mega Beedrill is being used on OUPL? Like, I think I saw it 3 times in less than 3 weeks. Does it has a real good niche on the tier?
As unfortunate as it is to say, OUPL is a tour that isn't taken very seriously so usage stats and mons used in that tour shouldn't really be considered. For example, Castform was used in week 1 of that tour and ended up winning, but that has nothing to do with how good it is. Official tournaments like Smogon Tour and World Cup of Pokemon are much better indicators of the current metagame than OUPL.

Are there any defensive steel types who dont fear being trapped by magnezone? I used to run celesteela and now use ferro, but both are easily handed by it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)