Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Why is Aegislash banned entirely when the problem is only with king's shield? Also, doesn't BL stand for borderline?

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Why is Aegislash banned entirely when the problem is only with king's shield? Also, doesn't BL stand for borderline?
Because it was the broken element, not King's Shield. Mons are generally banned before moves, which are only banned in extreme/uncompetitive cases (Swagger in Gen 6, Aurora Veil, etc). King's Shield isn't uncompetitive, but Aegislash used it, along with it's incredible typing and essentially 720 bst to an over centralizing extent.
And yeah BL = Borderline

In the situation you're describing, Latios-Mega would be labeled as "OU by technicality". TBH I'm not certain why it hasn't been labeled as such.
Wouldn't Mega Latios just be BL in that case? It's not the usual scenario, but it seems to fit the bill more than it being OU.
Isn't it OU and not OU by technicality yet just because it's new? Next tier shift it would move (unless it was here for the last tier shift, I can't remember)

Isn't it OU and not OU by technicality yet just because it's new? Next tier shift it would move (unless it was here for the last tier shift, I can't remember)
It was here last tier update and would have moved if it could, but it can't because Latios is OU.

Idk if here is the right place to ask, but does the ELO get reduced if you spend sometime without playing in the suspect ladder? If yes then does the COIL drop too? If the COIL does not drop shouldn't this ELO dropping be kind of bad since players would ladder in the first day then drop their ELO so that they can battle low ladder opponents later on the suspect?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Idk if here is the right place to ask, but does the ELO get reduced if you spend sometime without playing in the suspect ladder? If yes then does the COIL drop too? If the COIL does not drop shouldn't this ELO dropping be kind of bad since players would ladder in the first day then drop their ELO so that they can battle low ladder opponents later on the suspect?
ELO will drop at a slow pace, Coil shouldn't. The amount of coil raised is based on GXE so theoretically you could drop your ELO to face lower level opponents but due to the factors of GXE it wouldn't be significant enough to take advantage of this in the negative way you're describing.

It's clarified a bit here which you can look through the thread to get a better idea.

What are some ways to support a core of Stored Power Mega Latias, Defensive Celeesteela, and Unaware Wish Clefable?
Well, from my point of view, there's a large weakness to Heatran in this core, so a bulky Water or Ground type is a good idea. I think physical Greninja can be a bit of an issue, hitting Latias with Ice Beam, Celesteela with Low Kick, and Clefable with Gunk Shot, so maybe something like Magearna or Keldeo isn't a bad idea.
Also Mega Latias with Tspike support is dope.

Hey. I wanted to discuss the current metagame in the suspect ladder. But it seems that the Dugtrio thread is for Arena Trap only while the metagame discussion thread is getting clogged with useless Aegislash vs. Lando-T discussion that I don't want to exasperate. So I want to ask, where would I be allowed to discuss something like say, Chansey or Victini's performance and ease of fitting into teams in a Dugtrio-less metagame?

BlueFins

formerly xxTheBlueGalladexx
Hey. I wanted to discuss the current metagame in the suspect ladder. But it seems that the Dugtrio thread is for Arena Trap only while the metagame discussion thread is getting clogged with useless Aegislash vs. Lando-T discussion that I don't want to exasperate. So I want to ask, where would I be allowed to discuss something like say, Chansey or Victini's performance and ease of fitting into teams in a Dugtrio-less metagame?
The Metagame discussion thread is the perfect place to discuss that. the lando T vs Aegislash topic has stopped so feel free to alter the topic.

Shouldn't megas that are "OU by technicality" be BL instead? Doesn't really change anything, but it makes more sense to me.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Shouldn't megas that are "OU by technicality" be BL instead? Doesn't really change anything, but it makes more sense to me.
Mega Evolutions in "OU by technicality" tachnically aren't banned from UU so they can't be put in that category. In a hypothetical scenario where let's say Mega Garchomp was balanced in UU, it would still be (OU) despite not being broken in UU. BL is meant specifically for banned Pokemon, which (OU) Pokemon aren't

Mega Evolutions in "OU by technicality" tachnically aren't banned from UU so they can't be put in that category. In a hypothetical scenario where let's say Mega Garchomp was balanced in UU, it would still be (OU) despite not being broken in UU. BL is meant specifically for banned Pokemon, which (OU) Pokemon aren't
And OU is for Pokemon that are being used above a certain cutoff, which "OU by technicality pokemon" don't have, so by that same logic they can't be put here. They can't be used in UU, but aren't OU by usage, so aren't they technically banned from there? Again, not really something that actually makes a difference, it just IMO makes more sense, and reflects the definitions of OU and BL better.

And OU is for Pokemon that are being used above a certain cutoff, which "OU by technicality pokemon" don't have, so by that same logic they can't be put here. They can't be used in UU, but aren't OU by usage, so aren't they technically banned from there? Again, not really something that actually makes a difference, it just IMO makes more sense, and reflects the definitions of OU and BL better.
It sounds like you answered your own question. It's called "OU by technicality" for a reason. You can't use base Garchomp, for example, in UU because it is OU by usage; therefore it would be impossible to use Mega Garchomp in UU since you need the base form to mega evolve. And we already solved that it can't be BL because it they aren't banned from UU. Smogon isn't calling pokes like Mega Garchomp OU (because as you said they don't have the usage), so creating the category "OU by technicality" is the best-case scenario.

It sounds like you answered your own question. It's called "OU by technicality" for a reason. You can't use base Garchomp, for example, in UU because it is OU by usage; therefore it would be impossible to use Mega Garchomp in UU since you need the base form to mega evolve. And we already solved that it can't be BL because it they aren't banned from UU. Smogon isn't calling pokes like Mega Garchomp OU (because as you said they don't have the usage), so creating the category "OU by technicality" is the best-case scenario.
It's still classified as OU on the dex. Wouldn't BL by technicality fit more?

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
It's still classified as OU on the dex. Wouldn't BL by technicality fit more?
No, because it hasn't been banned from anywhere. It technically gets enough usage to be OU, it's just that the base forme uses other items instead of the Mega Stone. After all, a Mega Evolution is just a regular mon with a different item

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)