Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

does anyone have ideas for a comfey team? I've currently got a comfey, magnezone and slowking but I'm not sure what else would help comfey handle steel types
adding a partner like spdef chomp or dragonite that can reliably switch into heatran over the course of longer games would probably help, since even +6/+6 comfey won't do jack to tran. its also important to make sure that your magnezone set can reliably trap melmetal as well, since some zones can struggle to trap EQ melly. Scizor is also a big problem for comfey as well, so you might want to consider a partner like Kyurem or Hydreigon that can pressure Scizor over the course of the game to allow comfey to sweep.

I actually agree with you. I think resource management is part of the game (HP and PP). Regenerator is an infinite free resource. However people seem to enjoy the endless pivoting meta that ensues (prediction is less rewarded) so I guess it’s gonna stay
As already stated, banning Regenerator just because Slowking is very good right know (which is NOT because of Regenerator alone, by the way -- see previous generations) is not a good choice because it impacts other Pokémon that are just fine in OU like Tangrowth, Tornadus-T and Toxapex and also lower tier Pokémon like the aforementioned Eldegoss. Regenerator doesn't break any Pokémon, it's just the combination of it with Teleport and Future Sight that is simply amazing, but not broken. Even if you disagree with my take on RegenFuturePort - which is fine - the previous statement still holds true: Regenerator doesn't inherently make Pokémon broken, it just works well with some and elevate them.
Finally, the previous reply from pulsar512b holds true.

Also, I'd dare to say that this is the type of attitude that won't get you anywhere, my friend

see - endless battle clause

I do think that regenerator is broken. Creating free resources at no cost is not a good mechanic. If you want to discuss further post on my wall :afrostar:
You can absolutely dislike the mechanic due to being uncompetitive in your eyes, but that doesn't mean its broken. This is not a cause-and-effect relationship. The ability is just very good, much like Magic Guard or Beast Boost. Just like those, not every Pokémon available with the ability is good. However, we can't bend the rules to the point where we arbitrarily decide if an ability is uncompetitive or not and use this parameter to ban it. Ultimately, we are given all the toys by Game Freak and just try to put them in tiers based on the quality of said toys and this process needs continuous adjustements - which is why there is a council dedicated to do just that.

Just because you don't like the mechanic of Regenerator for X reasons, even if they are reasonable, as long as you can't precisely pintpoint Regenerator as the reason for unbalance/unhealthy circumstances, you can't advocate for a ban AND being clearly sarcastic and salty at people who don't view this situation in the same way you do. Because, if we were to ban Regenerator because "it creates free resources at not cost", it creates a very bad precedent where we arbitrarily decide what's objectively good or bad based entirely on subjectiveness.
Magic Guard is even more broken to me if you were to judge it by these types of standard: being immune to EVERY source of indirect damage is absurd, but it doesn't matter in this conversation.

This ability exist and it's a part of the game. However, unlike Arena Trap, Regenerator isn't responsible for unhealthy strain on teambuilding, team archetypes and in-battle strategy. You don't see Audino, Corsola and Eldegoss do anything in OU even with this supposedly broken ability, while we've seen Diglett and Trapinch (much weaker Pokémon than the ones mentioned for Regenerator) be actually decent in OU JUST because of Arena Trap. Regenerator doesn't force anything when it comes to team structure and gameplan against specific archetypes nor does it force trends of any kind (unlike Arena Trap did by elevating Dugtrio Stall teams to dominance). I'd argue that Regenerator pivots are somehow holding the metagame together from being a Kartana-Urshifu-Dragapult-whatever slugfest, but that's beside the point and it can definitely be disagreeable. Whether you like the mechanic or not, you CAN'T arbitrarily decide what's good or bad without having actual proof in the metagame and be salty when people don't agree with you.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
does anyone have replays of safeguard volcorona putting in work? I have toxic bliss on my team and I have yet to run into one
It’s honestly less common nowadays with Heatran being prominent and things like Dragonite, Garchomp, and Toxapex being consistent enough to deter mono-Volc. It peaked during DLC1 metagame when people relied a lot on status to check it — here is a prime example.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What is Bulu's best set atm? I am indecise on wether CB or SD can be more effective. Also what are some good partners for Scarf Fini that y'all have been enjoying?
SD / Horn Leech or Wood Hammer / CC / Stone Edge with LO is likely the best way to use it in OU. Aside from Tangrowth and PDef BB Corviknight, very few things actually counter it. It is quite strong and provides a few defensive qualities as well.

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
Also what are some good partners for Scarf Fini that y'all have been enjoying?
some solid scarf fini partners are volcarona, torn-t, kyurem, or any other common specially attacking wallbreakers/win conditions that can benefit from its ability to trick slowking, gking, blissey, pex, etc. its main role in this tier is a revenge killer and situational switchin to other special attackers like pult and tran, so you generally don’t see a whole lot of support for fini itself - but it can provide a lot of utility by tricking these spdef walls for its teammates.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Does Dragonite need Dragon Dance to always beat Volcorona? I wanted to drop it for Earthquake on the bulky set

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 52 Def / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance Earthquake
- Dual Wingbeat
- Heal Bell
- Roost
You should be fine against Volcarona regardless, but it does become a little passive in other match ups without DD, so be careful against Toxapex, Clefable, Scizor, etc

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
I wanna use skarmory lead with both stealth rocks and spikes for hazard stacking HO, can I get a good set of it?
Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

this is what i see most often on HO teams. max spe + taunt is used here to try and deter other entry hazards / defog / skarm being used as setup fodder while sturdy + custap is used to attempt to get another layer of hazards up when attacked on turn 1 - usually rocks + one spike. without defense investment, brave bird is noticeably stronger than body press and can be used to get chip on a key target, or to sacrifice skarm and keep up momentum

Katy

Banned deucer.
What are good partners for DD Dragapult on an HO team?
Tapu Koko as a dual screens setter works well with DD Dragapult, other great offensive partners are Weavile, Bisharp, Rillaboom, Kartana, Volcarona, Garchomp, Zeraora, and Tornadus-T. Landorus-T can also work as an effective Suisice Lead to lay out Stealth Rocks.
Magnezone can also work on some offensive teams with Dragapult, to make Dragapults and also Rillaboom and Kartanas life easier with trapping and removing Corviknight and Skarmory.
These are the teammates, which work effectively on HO teams with Dragon Dance Dragapult.

Hope that helped :)

What is the set for SubSeed Tapu Bulu?
Set? Probably SubSeed + Grass STAB + Close Combat.
CC drops defenses but it's the strongest hit against the three main Leech Seed immune Pokémon: Ferrothorn, Kartana and Rillaboom. Not mentioning Tangrowth because you have no hope against it anyway and unboosted CC can only tickle it.
Alternatively, Nature's Madness is a move you could use in place of CC to bring everything down to low HP regardless of type effectiveness.

As for spread, I haven't worked on that but I would think you probably want to make sure your subs aren't broken by common attacks on Pokémon that you might want to set up on. Also, spread might change depending on your 4th moveslot, as CC requires less defensive investment while NM could use some more bulk.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
What is the set for SubSeed Tapu Bulu?
Set? Probably SubSeed + Grass STAB + Close Combat.
CC drops defenses but it's the strongest hit against the three main Leech Seed immune Pokémon: Ferrothorn, Kartana and Rillaboom. Not mentioning Tangrowth because you have no hope against it anyway and unboosted CC can only tickle it.
Alternatively, Nature's Madness is a move you could use in place of CC to bring everything down to low HP regardless of type effectiveness.

As for spread, I haven't worked on that but I would think you probably want to make sure your subs aren't broken by common attacks on Pokémon that you might want to set up on. Also, spread might change depending on your 4th moveslot, as CC requires less defensive investment while NM could use some more bulk.
I think as far as moveslots go, you're going to want Substitute + Leech Seed + Horn Leech and either Close Combat or Nature's Madness as stated. Both have their own tradeoffs, but it really depends on how reliable your team's counterplay to bulky Grass-types is, and whether you appreciate burst damage against specific targets (namely Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Kartana) or general-purpose chunking to help further overload physical walls like the aforementioned Tangrowth in addition to Mandibuzz, Zapdos, Corviknight, and Skarmory. Kartana on the other hand is a Pokemon that tends to only run Smart Strike on Choice variants, but Close Combat can be helpful for punishing variants that may want to take advantage of Leech Seed for wallbreaking opportunities. Again it really just comes down to preference. In general Leech Seed is a move on Tapu Bulu that takes advantage of standard physical walls that unboosted Tapu Bulu struggles with through residual chip damage and passive recovery, so it does boil down I think to the Tangrowth and Choiced Kartana matchups since both are able to safely switch into Leech Seed while posing an annoyance to Tapu Bulu by either just outlasting it or overloading it respectively.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech
- Close Combat / Nature's Madness

In general I think the speed is important for speedy Skarmory and Bisharp, and Max Attack Adamant gives Horn Leech a major punch against neutral targets like Clefable which doesn't care about Leech Seed, or Pokemon like Landorus-T and Garchomp. Your type defensively alongside the surprising degree of passive recovery lets you naturally check stuff like Landorus-T, unboosted Garchomp, and Urshifu-R in spite of not really having reliable recovery.

Hopefully this helps!

Last edited:
Also, on the topic of Leech Seed Tapu Bulu, this is a set I created - or at least, I haven't copied it from anywhere; I'm not aware of this set being a thing.

Tapu Bulu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 232 HP / 180 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Horn Leech
- Nature's Madness

speed here is for crawdaunt, horn leech is for stab and even more longevity. hp and defense are for ensuring urshifu only 4hkos. some spdef might be useful to mess with koko as well, but i guess it depends on team structure. the combination of rocky helmet, toxic, leech seed and nature's madness is a real pain to deal with for any common switchin. also, this tapu bulu has boosted defensive utility against stuff like zeraora, shifu, chomp without fire fang and lando, the aforementioned crawdaunt, rillaboom, kartana to an extent and even opposing tapu bulu. if you want to experiment with leech seed bulu i figured it could be useful to share this version. i don't know if its any good as i haven't tried it yet, but it could be worth a shot.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
what is the minimum speed I should have on defensive lando? 240? Showdown gives it 254 by default, was wondering what that's relevant for
254 is for modest heatran and below. 240 is for adamant bisharp and below. 242 is for Timid Mag for the Specs set and below. Your speed should hit a specific benchmark to outpace a specific threat or team specific. The lowest minimum evs you'll use is probably 16 unless you drop IVs for slower u-turns on other landos (personally not a fan of).

hullo. lately i been wanting to build around a gengar but i was wondering if anybody has any cool gengar sets that actually work other than the sub np focus miss shadow ball thing.

edit: ik gengar isnt really viable in this metagame but i just wanna toy around with it ig

ty :]

Last edited:
hullo. lately i been wanting to build around a gengar but i was wondering if anybody has any cool gengar sets that actually work other than the sub np focus miss shadow ball thing.

edit: ik gengar isnt really viable in this metagame but i just wanna toy around with it ig

scarf is decent, as scarfed shadow ball OHKOes pult, and trick allows it to break down defensive cores, so it can be a good revenge killer and still be useful against bulkier stuff

Katy

Banned deucer.

I think Choice Specs with Trick can also work well right now, but you have to be careful with both Choice locked versions, Choice Specs and Choice Scarf. Althout Choice Scarf provides speed control it misses out on wallbreaking potential, whereas Choice Specs is better at wallbreaking, but can get caught due to the much lower speed tier it has by Weavile, Dragapult, Zeraora, and other faster attackers. Both versions have issue with Assault Vest Bisharp, as that can switch into Shadow Balls relatively well. However, Bisharp itself has to be worried about a potential Focus Blast.

If you aim for another offensive set, I think Nasty Plot + 3 Attacks can work well with Life Orb as its item behind dual screens or any other support like hazard stack ho.

The Substitute + Will-O-Wisp + Hex set can also work with Sludge Wave / Sludge Bomb / coverage of your choice / Nasty Plot the latter of which can make Hex even more powerful after a +2.

All in all Gengar needs a lot of support right now, but it is workable with, if the team around it covers up its weaknesses and helps it out with the wallbreaking part.

I think Choice Specs with Trick can also work well right now, but you have to be careful with both Choice locked versions, Choice Specs and Choice Scarf. Althout Choice Scarf provides speed control it misses out on wallbreaking potential, whereas Choice Specs is better at wallbreaking, but can get caught due to the much lower speed tier it has by Weavile, Dragapult, Zeraora, and other faster attackers. Both versions have issue with Assault Vest Bisharp, as that can switch into Shadow Balls relatively well. However, Bisharp itself has to be worried about a potential Focus Blast.

If you aim for another offensive set, I think Nasty Plot + 3 Attacks can work well with Life Orb as its item behind dual screens or any other support like hazard stack ho.

The Substitute + Will-O-Wisp + Hex set can also work with Sludge Wave / Sludge Bomb / coverage of your choice / Nasty Plot the latter of which can make Hex even more powerful after a +2.

All in all Gengar needs a lot of support right now, but it is workable with, if the team around it covers up its weaknesses and helps it out with the wallbreaking part.
ty! i really like the idea of a scarf gengar getting surprise kills on pult, however i dislike the sub set because of the abundance of pult making it hard for it to do its thing. i also think that choice specs can function as a really cool wallbreaker. if you dont mind, could you please let me know how you feel abt these sets?

:ss/gengar:
Gengar @ Choice Scarf :choice scarf:
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

:ss/gengar:
Gengar @ Choice Specs :choice specs:
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)