Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I wanna build HO rain consist of pelipper, ferro, barraskewda (swift swimmer), np spa tornadus (hurricane user), np thundurus (volt absorb + thunder) and the last would be sd crawdaunt. I don't wanna use urshifu because i dislike choice locked mon, only banded barraskewda. To deal with kyurem maybe close combat barraskewda & 2 focus blast torndurus can do it, I never good at playing other than setup spam HO.
Rain isn't particularly suited to be hyper offense. It is offensive in nature, as all weather teams should be, but it needs some defensive backbone because weather is no longer permanent. You really need a ground type otherwise you would be giving Zeraora or Tapu Koko a field day. On your team, I would just drop Thundurus and replace it with Crawdaunt or just merge Tornadus and Thundurus into Zapdos. Never build a rain team without an electric immunity otherwise repeated thunderbolts will take their toll even on Ferrothorn

Alternatively, Crawdaunt fits beautifully on actual hyper offense with your classic sash Lando and screens Koko but on rain, you have a tough time justifying it considering far better rain abusers like Keldeo and Urshifu exists and again, Kyurem still exists which makes it not unreasonable to use Scizor over a thunder user since Scizor also benefits from the rain

Never build a rain team without an electric immunity otherwise repeated thunderbolts will take their toll even on Ferrothorn
Thundurus has Volt Absorb so it would serve as an electric immunity though. The user in question can simply replace SD Crawduant with SD scizor as another user above suggested, as Scizor with spdef should be able to deal with the common Kyurem sets, as it has access to roost and bullet punch

If I wanted a team that makes stall cry at the expense of literally every other matchup, what am I running? NP Glowking, Heatran, CM Clef, what else?
I've been running CM Reuniclus and its worked pretty fine vs Stally mons like Pex, Clefable, etc. I recommend running Thunder over Focus Blast since it has higher PP and can snipe mons like Slowbro & Corviknight which are common on these teams. If you can, run it with Tapu Koko since Thunder will OHKO Slowbro & 2HKO Slowking w/o any setup.

Does something holding a choice scarf with 281 speed outspeed dragapult? (does it round up?)
Useful tip: using the damage calc, you can input scarf/speed stat changes and you will be shown the actual speed stat
Probably also useful, 80 base speed is the lowest base speed stat that can outspeed both zera and pult at +1/with scarf. Obviously with 252 EVs and positive nature, which reaches 284 (technically 283 is enough)

Last edited:
What sort of nature should be run on a defensive mixed attacker where speed is important? I’m building with utility Dnite with Ice Beam+EQ and enough speed to outspeed standard Heatran. Do I just go neutral nature or boost the preferred defensive stat at the expense of the other?

What sort of nature should be run on a defensive mixed attacker where speed is important? I’m building with utility Dnite with Ice Beam+EQ and enough speed to outspeed standard Heatran. Do I just go neutral nature or boost the preferred defensive stat at the expense of the other?
I would still go for a -special attack nature since ice beam a 2HKO on everything except for spdef chomp that matters either way, but you don't want to reduce your physical or special bulk

Is porygon2 good for trick room team? what is the best replacement of magearna as trick room setter along with traditional uxie and cresselia?

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is porygon2 good for trick room team? what is the best replacement of magearna as trick room setter along with traditional uxie and cresselia?
1. Porygon2 is a rather fringe but useable Trick Room setter, yes as it can go around the Ghost-type weakness which Uxie and Cresselia have and with Dragapult so dominant and prevalant in the metagame Porygon2 can be a helpful slot on Trick Room teams.

2. Well there is no replacement for such a strong, unique Pokemon like Magearna. Magearna had a lot of unique traits, which other Pokemon can't fullfill outright. But in overall good Trick Room abusers are the following Pokemon:
  1. Conkeldurr (Guts)
  2. Stakataka
  3. Galarian Slowking (with a Nasty Plot set)
  4. Aegislash (with a Swords Dance set)
  5. Crawdaunt
  6. Hatterene
  7. Diggersby
  8. Galarian Slowbro
  9. Azumarill (Belly Drum)
  10. Melmetal
  11. and Clefable (Calm Mind)

All these Pokemon can fullfill worthful slots in a Trick Room team and are great teammates. But keep in mind that Trick Room overall is a very fringe, niche playstyle currently, so building a team should be done carefully to cover up metagame threats.

hope that helped :)

Last edited:
It struggles defensively to cover much, making it a challenge to add on to teams with the slew of other Psychic types and even other Fire types like Heatran and Volcarona. Victini is still a very viable Pokemon, but it is more fringe than mainstream right now!
Don't worry it seems like it may rise in the next tier shift, people are starting to use this thing a lot more on balance and hyper offense.

I'd argue that P2 is the best 3rd TR setter outright. The main competition is Slowbro which on a team containing 3 other pokemon weak to ghost (Uxie/Hatt, Cress and Marowak-Alola) makes porygon2 better overall.

Another question, why slowking is better than slowbro? maybe I'm only playing HO but slowking is pretty weak to physical sweeper that mainly used by HO, even special sweeper like volcarona can 2HKO it with bug buzz. Slowbro in the other hand was harder to deal with, and also viable using rocky helmet beside boots that's even more annoying.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Another question, why slowking is better than slowbro? maybe I'm only playing HO but slowking is pretty weak to physical sweeper that mainly used by HO, even special sweeper like volcarona can 2HKO it with bug buzz. Slowbro in the other hand was harder to deal with, and also viable using rocky helmet beside boots that's even more annoying.
HO is oftentimes physical sweeper heavy with a few special fallbacks like the occasional Volcarona, so naturally Slowbro is better there. However, the rest of the metagame is filled with hard-to-check special attackers like Heatran, Tapu Lele, Tornadus-Therian, Calm Mind Clefable (stomaching a hit to Teleport in Bisharp or Kartana can be huge), etc. and other HO variants like Rain and Sun struggle more with Slowking, too. It is still a trade-off, but with other physically defensive presences like Landorus-T and Corviknight being prominent, Slowking naturally fits better and covers just as many, if not more, opposing Pokemon.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Heatran is the big one- Slowbro isn't a *bad* answer per se but Slowking is *far* better and more consistent.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
To add on to the other two answers, Slowbro only really deals with Garchomp, Urshifu and offensive Lando atm. It performs horribly against other physical threats like Rillaboom, Bisharp and especially Kartana. Slowking may suffer the same fate but as Finch mentioned, it covers a lot more and people would prefer their physical defense mon not to instantly lose to the offensive grass types

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Is there anything universally considered to be Dragapult's worst matchup for most or all of its sets?
Mandibuzz and Clefable are good (although Mandi gets 2hkod by specs draco with some chip, and Clef doesn't love DD sets (altho it's managable... phantom force still does half to a spdef set so +1 with decent chip could go very badly for you, and you have to run spdef to beat specs draga.....)
Bisharp beats most sets, but flamethrower exists and if it's a sub variant sucker punch mindgames get even worse than usual.
Tyranitar is also a pretty solid way of dealing with it, but it's easily chipped down and lacks good recovery- similar issue with Fini

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Hello. I usually lurk in this subforum, like I think I've only made one post ever here because I'm by no means the best or most frequent OU player out there. I've seen a lot of talk before about banning the Slowtwins, and I remember seeing a lot of people debating over whether to ban Boots, Teleport, or the Slowtwins individually. Something I've been wondering though - why is Regenerator almost never put onto the table to be argued for a ban?

When I use something with the ability, I feel like I can get away with some really stupid, risk-free plays like staying in with, say, Toxapex on certain things that by all means should be hard Pex counters just to get a free Toxic or fish for a Scald burn, eat a hit that may or may not be super effective depending on whether or not my opponent predicts me properly, then switch out and regain a bunch of health. I feel like this uncompetitive as it removes an aspect of control from my opponent in these situations, as no matter what damage they end up doing now, very often I can patch it up effortlessly. Sometimes I'll need only one opportunity to get healthy again, maybe even zero depending on what the opposing mon is and how much damage they did to me. Obviously not impossible to deal with because it would have been banned by now if that was the case, but I feel like it kind of skews things in the player of the user for this reason. I know you can make the argument that only specific abusers of Regenerator have this aspect to them, but at that point, why would you argue against Teleport? Blissey and the Slowtwins are the only things that are prominent that you could argue make Teleport broken here, and Chansey would definitely pop up if Blissey didn't exist in this meta.

I might not be thinking through this deeply enough and might be missing something obvious here, so I want to hear others' logic for why this likely isn't true. Thank you in advance!

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Hello. I usually lurk in this subforum, like I think I've only made one post ever here because I'm by no means the best or most frequent OU player out there. I've seen a lot of talk before about banning the Slowtwins, and I remember seeing a lot of people debating over whether to ban Boots, Teleport, or the Slowtwins individually. Something I've been wondering though - why is Regenerator almost never put onto the table to be argued for a ban?

When I use something with the ability, I feel like I can get away with some really stupid, risk-free plays like staying in with, say, Toxapex on certain things that by all means should be hard Pex counters just to get a free Toxic or fish for a Scald burn, eat a hit that may or may not be super effective depending on whether or not my opponent predicts me properly, then switch out and regain a bunch of health. I feel like this uncompetitive as it removes an aspect of control from my opponent in these situations, as no matter what damage they end up doing now, very often I can patch it up effortlessly. Sometimes I'll need only one opportunity to get healthy again, maybe even zero depending on what the opposing mon is and how much damage they did to me. Obviously not impossible to deal with because it would have been banned by now if that was the case, but I feel like it kind of skews things in the player of the user for this reason. I know you can make the argument that only specific abusers of Regenerator have this aspect to them, but at that point, why would you argue against Teleport? Blissey and the Slowtwins are the only things that are prominent that you could argue make Teleport broken here, and Chansey would definitely pop up if Blissey didn't exist in this meta.

I might not be thinking through this deeply enough and might be missing something obvious here, so I want to hear others' logic for why this likely isn't true. Thank you in advance!
I don't think banning Regenerator is a good idea because abilities have only been banned in the past from OU when literally every abuser was broken with them - for example, when they tried suspecting Dugtrio in SM OU, some people successfully used Diglett and Trapinch in its place on the suspect ladder. The result was no ban, and some people believed the result could have been skewed by people that believed the ability should have been suspected instead. When they later suspected Arena Trap as a whole, it was voted to be banned.

This doesn't seem to be the case with Regenerator - would banning Tangrowth and Amoonguss cause Eldegoss to rise from Untiered to UU and the B-ranks of OU? Why was Mienshao, which isn't outclassed by any current Regenerator Pokemon, NU not long ago?

I don't think banning Teleport is a good idea either for the same reason and would possibly suspect targets of Future Sight that cause it to be so centralizing first.

I actually agree with you. I think resource management is part of the game (HP and PP). Regenerator is an infinite free resource. However people seem to enjoy the endless pivoting meta that ensues (prediction is less rewarded) so I guess it’s gonna stay
Regenerator doesn't eliminate resource management when it features in games, though. One could easily make a decent opposing claim, that in making games longer than they would be otherwise, Regenerator actually encourages considered usage of PP.

Regardless, I'm unconvinced by arguments founded on the idea of something undermining "parts of the game" because realistically, everything is "part of the game", including that factor in question. This isn't to preclude us from taking action on things like this, though - just to say that we all collectively decide which parts are and are not worth keeping on other merits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)