Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is Weavile + Kartana a good core to build around?

Yes it is, they can overwhelm shared checks such as Corvinight and Melmetal. If you want to build with them you can add a Pokemon like Specs Dragapult / Specs Blacephalon to it and Kartana + Weavile alongside 1 of those can really hard to be play around with common defensive cores. Weavile can also threaten Zapdos and the same vein goes to Blacephalon or Dragapult, which Kartana has trouble with and smth like Hydro Pump Dragapult can help with breaking down Heatran for Weavile and Kartana.

Since Weavile and Kartan serve as great Speed control too, its a good core to build around with. You should still add a Pokemon to it which can threaten the likes of Tapu Koko and Dragapult, so something like specially defensive Landorus-T can act good as a Koko and Zeraora check and helps against Dragapult as well. Tornadus-T can also help here, as it can check Scarf Kartana for your own and your Weavile. Landorus-T and Tornadus-T can also built up a Stealth Rock + Defog core, which is very valuable. And the latter also adds another form of Speed control too, since Tornadus-T is pretty fast as well.

I think Galaraian Zapdos can also be a great teammate as it can abuse Landorus-Ts Intimidate and opposing Corviknights Defog to gain a free Defiant boost and Weavile / Kartana can lure both in and it makes it easier for Galarian Zapdos to break. I would also consider Ferrothorn as teammate as Hazard stack + these aforementioned Pokemon go well and hand in hand and have a pretty easy time to break for themselves, once you have Stealth Rocks and some Spikes up.

Hopfeully this helped :)

As the leaks of future games suggest, most of the fabulous ones will be available again. As was done for many Ubers with the advent of the Crown Toundra DLC, are you considering a preliminary unbanning for some newcomers? I'm thinking in particular of Deoxys-Defense and Deoxys-Speed, which seem the most natural candidates for an introduction in OU. By extension, I suppose that Deoxys-N (which was briefly authorized in XY) and Darkrai (with the nerf of Dark Void) will also be discussed, although their intrinsic quality may cause them to be banned quite quickly. I would also cite in principle Shaymin-Sky, even if its release in OU would be even more questionable than the previous ones. All this will irremediably lead to a more chaotic metagame, which many criticized at the start of the 2nd DLC, but which is justified with the arrival of new games of the main series

Abhi

Professional Zoomer
is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As the leaks of future games suggest, most of the fabulous ones will be available again. As was done for many Ubers with the advent of the Crown Toundra DLC, are you considering a preliminary unbanning for some newcomers? I'm thinking in particular of Deoxys-Defense and Deoxys-Speed, which seem the most natural candidates for an introduction in OU. By extension, I suppose that Deoxys-N (which was briefly authorized in XY) and Darkrai (with the nerf of Dark Void) will also be discussed, although their intrinsic quality may cause them to be banned quite quickly. I would also cite in principle Shaymin-Sky, even if its release in OU would be even more questionable than the previous ones. All this will irremediably lead to a more chaotic metagame, which many criticized at the start of the 2nd DLC, but which is justified with the arrival of new games of the main series
This is all highly dependant on how the BDSP games will interact with the current SWSH games, which we do not know much about atm. It is too early to start speculating on what to ban and what not to since we're not even sure if we will have access to these pokemon in the first place. Even if the games do interact in a way that gives us access to all these legendaries, then I am sure the OU council will make the correct decisions on what to unban and what not to.

This may sound ridiculous, but does lead Webs Shuckle need to outspeed anything? Would a -Spe nature with 0 SPE IV be optimal to ensure Encore always goes 2nd?

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Is there a new 'general' ev spread for Landorus or is that mon still the type that goes 'do whatever you want'?

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is there a new 'general' ev spread for Landorus or is that mon still the type that goes 'do whatever you want'?
Landorus-T can still serve a role which the team needs, there is no 'general EV spread' for it. If you need it to be physically defensive, you can do that. If you need it to be specially defensive, you can do that. Teams with Corviknight and Landorus-T can make Landorus-T go into a more special oriented Wall, so it can help out against Volcarona, Dragapult, and Tapu Koko, meanwhile Corviknight can serve as a check to Kartana, Rillaboom, and opposing Landorus-T.

Landorus-T can be physically defensive when you run it alongside Assault Vest Tornadus-T, so they have more options to check the general metagame and they can check shared Pokemon like Kartana, Rillaboom, and Volcarona.

Landorus-T and Slowbro as example serve as a great role composition with Landorus-T going a special defensive way and Slowbro the physical defensive way. Galarian Slowking and Assault Vest Melmetal can check dangerous special threats like Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Dragapult, so Landorus-T can serve as a physically defensive wall.

It is very very dependant on the team Landorus-T finds itself on and with what the team is struggling. There also Pokemon and compositions / cores, which Landorus-T can go the way you need it to be.

But there isnt a general spread. However, I would make Landorus-T outpace Heatran and other Pokemon in this benchmark at least, so you have the upper hand against these and you're able to force them out much easier. And this counts for both the SpD and Def sets.

Hopefully that helped :)

I could just have been unaware of this interaction, but I was watching a video today of some Showdown footage and using Substitute freed a Pokémon from the trapping and damaging effects of Infestation. I believe I knew that having a Substitute up would block similar moves' effects from working on a Pokémon in the first place, but this is the first I've heard of Substitute breaking partial trapping moves. Is this intended behavior?

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I could just have been unaware of this interaction, but I was watching a video today of some Showdown footage and using Substitute freed a Pokémon from the trapping and damaging effects of Infestation. I believe I knew that having a Substitute up would block similar moves' effects from working on a Pokémon in the first place, but this is the first I've heard of Substitute breaking partial trapping moves. Is this intended behavior?
It is intended as this is how it works in the games. The effect: "Binding moves will not trap the target if it is behind a substitute. In addition, creating a substitute will cause the user to escape a binding move" was added in Gen2 (source: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Substitute_(move))

It is intended as this is how it works in the games. The effect: "Binding moves will not trap the target if it is behind a substitute. In addition, creating a substitute will cause the user to escape a binding move" was added in Gen2 (source: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Substitute_(move))
So theoretically you could use Sub to escape Magma Storm? Are there any mons that might be able to take advantage of Tran using this tech?

What Pokemon would Sub+CM Keldeo work well with and what team archetype should it be on? I was thinking Future Sight support would help against Toxapex, but outside of that I'm not sure how I should make a team around it.

Katy

Banned deucer.
What Pokemon would Sub+CM Keldeo work well with and what team archetype should it be on? I was thinking Future Sight support would help against Toxapex, but outside of that I'm not sure how I should make a team around it.
Future Sight support with Slowbro or Tapu Lele can be really good with Keldeo, as these mechanics allow for progress for Sub+CM Keldeo. Other great teammates are checks to Tapu Koko and Zeraora. Those Pokemon can be evry threatening to it, same goes to Tornadus-T (with Assault Vest) so Ground-types and Steel-types make for great partners. Pokemon like Landorus-T or Melmetal can be great here.

Other Pokemon, which go well with it, are those who benefit Keldeo, so VoltTurn-Support (Teleport support) can be great here, to bring it in safely. Tapu Bulu and Heatran make a great FWG-Core with Keldeo and cover a lot of Pokemon in the metagame and Tapu Bulu can break down Pokemon this Keldeo set struggles with; It can heavily weaken Toxapex, Slowking, and it can help vs Blissey.

Since Dragapult is very threatening due to its ability Infiltrator a good check to it is very important to break it down before you try and setup your Calm Minds, as Dragapult can still heavily threaten this set. So Landorus-T, AV Melmetal or Choice Scarf Tapu Lele can help here and with a smart double from Keldeo into Tapu Lele you can catch Dragapult or any other teammate and hit it relatively hard with your STABs or coverage.

There plenty of great partners which can work, but I think those are worthy options to try out with Keldeo. Hopefully this helped :)

Hey guys I’m having trouble building a team around a great core in OU rn Weavile + Koko I’ve added Urshifu to deal with ferrothorn and heatran two pokemon that check weavile and koko but I’m having trouble filling out the team I’ve thought off adding lando or blissey to be sp def pivots but besides those two I’m genuinely struggling to find other mons that fit the team so if any one has any suggestions I would be more than happy to take note of them.

Hey guys I’m having trouble building a team around a great core in OU rn Weavile + Koko I’ve added Urshifu to deal with ferrothorn and heatran two pokemon that check weavile and koko but I’m having trouble filling out the team I’ve thought off adding lando or blissey to be sp def pivots but besides those two I’m genuinely struggling to find other mons that fit the team so if any one has any suggestions I would be more than happy to take note of them.
you right now want to flesh out the defensive backbone so ideal partners like Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, Slowbro, Tornadus-T just to name a few to get you ideas, ideally Landorus-T role compresses in providing the obligatory Ground and Flying type, and you want a Steel-type, as well as a bulky water-type for opposing shifu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)