Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I gave an explanation, so yeah it should be obvious that I wanted an explanation back. Anyways if Heatran catches the Toxapex on the switch and uses magma storm, then you are in trouble
toxapex is just an interim switchin. when switching in from full,, you take the magma storm, live an earth power and you scald/knock off, then switch out right after

Ok question about the next gen of OU. There are many things have had complex bans or debate before being inevitably banned each generation. Things like arena trap, shadow tag and baton pass are continuously problematic and have been blanket banned this generation. Assuming these continuously problematic elements are mechanically identical in gen 9 would the council consider quickbanning them from day 1?

Ok question about the next gen of OU. There are many things have had complex bans or debate before being inevitably banned each generation. Things like arena trap, shadow tag and baton pass are continuously problematic and have been blanket banned this generation. Assuming these continuously problematic elements are mechanically identical in gen 9 would the council consider quickbanning them from day 1?
it would surprise me if they weren't on the radar. however, a new generation often brings new mechanics and stuff as well as new mons, so i don't think acting too hasty would be a good idea. however, they could be targets for a quick ban if they prove to be problematic early on.

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
Probably not day one, but early is definitely possible. There could be nerfs rendering the abilities not problematic, but there probably won't be. Banning things day 1 is probably a bit too trigger-happy, but they probably will be banned early into gen 9.

Quick question: Since the OU teambuilding lab thread is closed, are there any other threads that can be used to request teams? (Just asking out of curiosity since the teambuilding lab doesn't seem that will be reopened)

Is there any expectation to update the sample teams anytime soon or are they still believed to be representative of the meta rn?

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
Is there any expectation to update the sample teams anytime soon or are they still believed to be representative of the meta rn?
Not very much has changed in the meta. if huge meta shifts such as bans happen, yes there will probably be new samples. Most likely, we'll have samples for summer of 2022, and then gen 9 will come out in late 2022.

Don't take this at face value, considering i'm not the one doing the samples, but that's just what I expect.

I wanted to see how Breloom was doing this gen since I took gen 7 and gen 8 off and destroyed me in 5 and 6 but saw he was unavailable. I found that weird because I figured there had to be a way to transfer a mon from previous gens into the current gen. Then I saw there's like 200 pokemon unavailable. How is that even possible?

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
I wanted to see how Breloom was doing this gen since I took gen 7 and gen 8 off and destroyed me in 5 and 6 but saw he was unavailable. I found that weird because I figured there had to be a way to transfer a mon from previous gens into the current gen. Then I saw there's like 200 pokemon unavailable. How is that even possible?
Basically, dexit happened
SwSh didn't add every pokemon.
Mons like Gliscor, Greninja, Loom, etc just didn't make the cut.

Does shield Dust only protect from the status secondary conditions ?
Can it protect form other secondary effect like ->Flinch of Air-slash, Guaranteed/ High Crit change of Surging strike or Night slash E.T.C

Is there a place to find reasoning for banned Pokémon for OU? Maybe somewhere where the tiering announcement threads are collected?

Is there a place to find reasoning for banned Pokémon for OU? Maybe somewhere where the tiering announcement threads are collected?
The suspect threads are always available in the SSOU Subforums, you just have to dig around a little to find the direct reasoning. Personally, I like looking back on those threads because it gives good insight into the community and meta not because I was being a little too harsh on someone.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Does shield Dust only protect from the status secondary conditions ?
Can it protect form other secondary effect like ->Flinch of Air-slash, Guaranteed/ High Crit change of Surging strike or Night slash E.T.C
Shield Dust will protect from secondary effects but not "tertiary" effects (for lack of a better word). Flinch rate, status affliction etc. are secondary effects; increased crit rate, recoil etc. are tertiary effects. I'm unsure whether it will block effects from items like King's Rock but it presumably would.

Ooo I have a list of reasons
:landorus-therian:
:corviknight:
:Garchomp:
:Buzzwole:
:Kartana:
:Urshifu:
And I could probably keep going. It's outclassed as a physical sweeper, has bad defensive typing for the meta and struggles against common defensive and offensive mons right now. It might sweep some teams but would require a lot of team support to do it whilst also being incredibly match up fishy.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
What is the reason for Lycanroc-Dusk not being viable in OU?
Biggest reason is its too frail. It just dies to everything in the tier. It's tough claws ability is also pretty mediocre because it doesn't have a rock type mve that benefit from it aside from accelerock, which is mediocre itself because its only like forty base damage or something

From time to time, especially in the lower ladder, it does appear as a suicide lead for ho teams because it can use endeavor and with accelerock, can cripple or kill at least one mon on the enemy team. But yeah, aside from that small niche, it's simply too weak and frail to be of much use in the tier

How does Fling actually work? If I fling for example, a Leftovers Lando-T a Ring Target, will the effects of the ring target remain? Or would Lando have to be itemless, so the immunity negating effect can last? Or does it not get the effect at any point?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)