Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Is it possible to ban an attack ? For example, is it possible to ban Fishious Rend instead of Dracovish if the OU Leaders consider that the attack is broken and not the pokemon ?
Only the attack Baton Pass was banned "recently" for me.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Is it possible to ban an attack ? For example, is it possible to ban Fishious Rend instead of Dracovish if the OU Leaders consider that the attack is broken and not the pokemon ?
Only the attack Baton Pass was banned "recently" for me.
I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure that would be a complex ban. The difference between Baton Pass and Fishious Rend is that Baton Pass is available to a multitude of Pokemon, but Fishious Rend is only available to two. In the case you provided, they would most likely just ban the whole Pokemon rather than just a move.

Forgive me if this is the wrong thread, though I don’t see a good spot for this. I’m trying to finish a team and I’m having a hard time slotting in the 6th mon. So far I’m liking subhex Dragapult, but I’m not convinced that it is the right piece to finish the puzzle:

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Nasty Plot

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Moonlight

Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave

the idea here is to use hydreigan and Rotom-heat to clear the path for CM clefable as a win con. I’ve been really liking CM despite LO’s popularity.

On another note, I see good cores threads and team bazaars, but it might be a fun/useful format if there was a “finish this team” thread. I’m always finding myself fiddling with the 6th slot the most when building a new team. Just a thought. Anyway, I’d appreciate some input.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this is the wrong thread, though I don’t see a good spot for this. I’m trying to finish a team and I’m having a hard time slotting in the 6th mon. So far I’m liking subhex Dragapult, but I’m not convinced that it is the right piece to finish the puzzle:

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Nasty Plot

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Moonlight

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave

the idea here is to use hydreigan and Rotom-heat to clear the path for CM clefable as a win con. I’ve been really liking CM despite LO’s popularity.

On another note, I see good cores threads and team bazaars, but it might be a fun/useful format if there was a “finish this team” thread. I’m always finding myself fiddling with the 6th slot the most when building a new team. Just a thought. Anyway, I’d appreciate some input.
My gut choice is to say Ditto because you don't have a scarfer/priority and it's usually good for testing a team to find out what its weaknesses are but Conkeldurr also seems like it could be good.

Thanks I like the idea of using conk. That might be my best bet tbh

another idea I had was a choice scarf physical mew, what do you think?

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
Happiness: 160
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

I was fiddling with it’s moveset looking for a way to revenge kill dracovish which my team just dies to if toad dies and the best I could come up with is play rough but it isn’t even close to an ohko.

Thanks I like the idea of using conk. That might be my best bet tbh

another idea I had was a choice scarf physical mew, what do you think?

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
Happiness: 160
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

I was fiddling with it’s moveset looking for a way to revenge kill dracovish which my team just dies to if toad dies and the best I could come up with is play rough but it isn’t even close to an ohko.
I don't play enough OU to be able to comment on the viability of Scarf Mew (it seems like it might be a bit weak), but Psychic Fangs is a better STAB than Zen Headbutt because it doesn't miss, is slightly stronger, and removes screens.

Honestly I’ve played a dozen or so games with it already and it isn’t going over well! Lol. I’ll keep fiddling with it. Ideally I’d like some kind of offensive speed control that does well vs Dracovish and potentially Cinderace as both of those mons give this team a hard time

I might give up on being creative and slot specs or scarf dragapult in there

Last edited:
What's a good EV spread for Rotom-Heat being used on a Volt-Turn team?
EVs: 240 HP / 52 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
This is the spread I like to run. 240 HP EVs allow Rotom-H to take three Moonblasts from Life Orb Clefable. 216 Speed EVs enable Rotom-H to outspeed Gyarados. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Special Attack to make overwhelming Pokemon like Clefable slightly easier.

What options are there for checks to BU Corviknight? The first ones that come to mind are Rotom (wash/heat) and Toxtricity. I'm looking for something with reliable recovery, for a stall team.

I was thinking of using Togedemaru as a check to specs Toxtricity, and I am tempted to double it as a check to Corviknight; it 4x resists brave bird, hits super effectively, and provides wish support for itself and other team members. However, it hits like a wet paper bag, so I haven't thought of a set that can do the job, except for a nutty work up set.

I was also thinking of Runerigus as a Toxtricity check instead, and using Jolteon for wish support and a Corviknight check. Are there perhaps better checks to Toxtricity?
Maybe a crazy idea: Soundproof Kommo w Flamethrower(Tox. Counter, Corvi Check), can support your team with Stealth Rock as well

Is Magic Guard supposed to prevent the effects of Pressure? It does so on the simulator and I've never heard of this before, it doesn't seem to make sense when Magic Guard is only supposed to prevent things that do damage other than Gen IV when it prevented full paras.

Is Magic Guard supposed to prevent the effects of Pressure? It does so on the simulator and I've never heard of this before, it doesn't seem to make sense when Magic Guard is only supposed to prevent things that do damage other than Gen IV when it prevented full paras.
No, it only prevents damage from hazards and status

No, it only prevents damage from hazards and status
So this is a bug on showdown only and not a mechanic change? https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1039467411
Starting from turn 32 on I was in a para war against the clef thinking I was stalling out it's wishes, only to realize Pressure wasn't affecting it. You can see that each turn it only loses 1 pp.

EDIT: Can post this in the showdown bug sections but wanted to ask here in case I was mistaken and this is intended behavior for these abilities.

I know LO Clefable typically runs Flamethrower, but are there any instances where the extra power from Fire Blast could be worth it? Any notable OHKOs or 2HKOs that it gets over Flamethrower?

What are the main differences between stall and balance teams? Any link to read more on team classification?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
What are the main differences between stall and balance teams? Any link to read more on team classification?
Stall teams generally consist purely of defensive Pokemon, with the intent of dragging out the game and racking up residual damage, while balance teams tend to consist of a (nearly) equal distribution of offensive and defensive Pokemon. So the main difference is that balance teams often feature roles like sweepers and wallbreakers, while stall teams do not. On the other hand, there is also semi-stall which consists of mostly defensive Pokemon supporting only one or two offensive ones.

As for articles, here is one on frameworks in teambuilding and here is one on Smogon's jargon. Keep in mind that both of these date back from BW so they're quite outdated, for instance the role of weather setter is much less prominent now.

What are the main differences between bulky offense and balance? I remember a Blunder video where he said stuff like Hippowdon doesn't belong on BO because it's passive. So does it mean the bulky elements of BO have to either hit hard (EV invested or not) or generate momentum? But what about passive wish support walls like Vaporeon? Do they only belong in balance and stall?

I'm pretty new to Competitive. I've been playing SS OU on Showdown for a few days now, and my goal, other than getting good at the game in general, is to use Hatterene. I'm really struggling at using her correctly.

Her low Speed is the biggest issue I struggle with. Naturally, a great way to alleviate this would be Trick Room. I've dabbled with a TR team, but want to try some more generalized setups as well. Is it possible to use her effectively if she's the only TR setter on my team?

Alternatively, there's a CM set that I've had middling success with. This is more of a general question, but it seems like I use CM, the opponent switches, and Hat takes a giant chunk that prevents me from getting out more than one attack. And then, because of her speed, she seems basically useless for the rest of the game.

One final question: is Hat more of a sweeper or a wallbreaker? My inclination is that she sweeps with TR, but breaks without it.

So, those are my struggles. Could anyone provide me with some advice as to how I can effectively utilize the Witchy Woman?

I'm pretty new to Competitive. I've been playing SS OU on Showdown for a few days now, and my goal, other than getting good at the game in general, is to use Hatterene. I'm really struggling at using her correctly.

Her low Speed is the biggest issue I struggle with. Naturally, a great way to alleviate this would be Trick Room. I've dabbled with a TR team, but want to try some more generalized setups as well. Is it possible to use her effectively if she's the only TR setter on my team?

Alternatively, there's a CM set that I've had middling success with. This is more of a general question, but it seems like I use CM, the opponent switches, and Hat takes a giant chunk that prevents me from getting out more than one attack. And then, because of her speed, she seems basically useless for the rest of the game.

One final question: is Hat more of a sweeper or a wallbreaker? My inclination is that she sweeps with TR, but breaks without it.

So, those are my struggles. Could anyone provide me with some advice as to how I can effectively utilize the Witchy Woman?
I think if you're gonna run TR you should not run CM. If you have another TR setter then you could CM sweep with Hat but if you need Hat to set the TR in the first place I think you're best off running TR and 3 attacks.
Hatterene can sweep with TR support but I think that, especially without Dynamax, Hatterene is less likely to pick up multiple kills efficiently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)