Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Now that Zarude has been released, how viable do you think it will be in OU?
Probably a bit outshined, since its movepool is pretty lacking and it faces immense competition from Rillaboom. The ability could also be better. It does have some great stats however, and I think It might see some usage as a niche wallbreaker since it's just been released, but I think it'll end up dropping to UU. TPP made a great post here about Zarude that you can view more details about!

Last edited:

arn.av136

would've, could've, should've
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Can someone tell me some good counters to Rillaboom and Ferrothorn in rain as I am building a rain team and they present big problems to it.

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Can someone tell me some good counters to Rillaboom and Ferrothorn in rain as I am building a rain team and they present big problems to it.
Kommo-o can typically beat both, although rillaboom has the option of acrobatics and ferrothorn can try and wear it down long term with leech seed. SD scizor is another option with max hp and superpower to deal with ferrothorn and take hits from +2 rillaboom that aren't superpower and fire off a strong uturn in return. Sub hawlucha could also work but it's not super easy to fit on a team without terrain support usually to insta remove the item.

Corviknight can take both on with little fear and has recovery to stick around all game. Rotom-heat worries a little about knock off, but can take advantage of rain to use it's STAB Thunder. You might even consider defensive charizard, while it really doesn't like knock off, it can switch into all other moves from both and use STAB hurricane in rain. All 3 can also provide defog support.

Alright, what's a good partner to Scarf Gardevoir in this meta now that Cinder's out? Trace is a fun ability and I don't want to completely adhere to the meta, I want to make a team that's got a bit of a unique flair to it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, what's a good partner to Scarf Gardevoir in this meta now that Cinder's out? Trace is a fun ability and I don't want to completely adhere to the meta, I want to make a team that's got a bit of a unique flair to it.
Setup attackers/wallbreakers that appreciate Healing Wish support would probably be your best bet with Gardevoir. I’ve used it a little and find Scarf with Psychic+Moonblast+Healing Wish+Trick to be the most effective Garde variant.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Any good counters or checks to Corviknight? Almost most of my teams have trouble going up against it
Haze Toxapex, Special Zeraora, Rotom-Heat, Wisp Dragapult, and Magnezone are some solid Pokemon who all do well against common BU variants.

As for utility sets, the same Pokemon and strong attackers (with super effective moves especially) should do the trick. Taunt Kommo-O, SD Rhypherior, and Trick Clefable have the potential to keep up SR vs it, too

Any good counters or checks to Corviknight? Almost most of my teams have trouble going up against it
Got sniped by Finch, but in addition to his suggestions, bulky water types tend to do well against Corviknight as they can spam Scald until it’s burned. Along with Toxapex, good options include Slowbro, Gastrodon, and Rotom-W. Aside from Rotom-W, they won’t win 1v1, but a burned Corviknight is much easier to deal with.

Volcarona can always force Corviknight out (be careful of Brave Bird!), and strong special wall breakers like Gengar and Hydreigon can break through it too.

I'm pretty new to competitive so please forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask, but is transform bugged? I just encountered this on showdown, mew v zeraora I get hit with plasma fist, I use transform, but because transform is electric type now it gets eaten by volt absorb. is this how its meant to work? as far as I'm aware, transform doesnt "hit" the opponent, its just applied to the pokemon using it. I'm probably wrong about that somehow, but I have no idea how this interaction even works to begin with.

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty new to competitive so please forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask, but is transform bugged? I just encountered this on showdown, mew v zeraora I get hit with plasma fist, I use transform, but because transform is electric type now it gets eaten by volt absorb. is this how its meant to work? as far as I'm aware, transform doesnt "hit" the opponent, its just applied to the pokemon using it. I'm probably wrong about that somehow, but I have no idea how this interaction even works to begin with.
Voltabsorb only works when the Pokémon is directly hit by an electric attack. Transform doesn't hit the enemy, so it didn't get absorbed.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I’m not sure if this is what should happen with Transform, but if you ever encounter something you think is a bug, save the replay and post it in the PS! bug reports thread with a description of the bug. Make sure to google around and double check there’s nothing that says that’s how it should work on the smogon dex/other sites before posting.

Is Rillaboom common enough in the metagame that High Horsepower is worth running over Earthquake, even on teams without Rilla? Edit: not on any particular mon, just in general.

is togekiss running defog a viable set currently, acting similar to a mandibuzz?
Not really; Togekiss generally doesn't have a great matchup against entry hazard setters. Excadrill and Clefable stand out as Stealth Rock setters it really struggles with. Beyond that, its defensive utility doesn't really even begin to compare to other entry hazard removal options, like Corviknight and Mandibuzz. Togekiss most commonly runs this set:

Togekiss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Nasty Plot
- Heal Bell

Is Rillaboom common enough in the metagame that High Horsepower is worth running over Earthquake, even on teams without Rilla? Edit: not on any particular mon, just in general.
The hype surrounding Rillaboom has started to die down and it's really only seeing less and less usage at the moment. Earthquake is generally still better.

Why does Galarian Slowbro commonly run 96 SpA EVs and Modest nature? What does that specific amount of special attack accomplish?

8 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 28 Def Alakazam: 211-250 (84 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 28 Def Alakazam: 211-250 (84 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It's for these 2 calcs in particular.
Will the power difference will be noticed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)