Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

What's the absolute best stallbreaker Kyurem set? I can't decide if metronome is good anymore, or should I be using leftovers or boots or dragon dance :psygrump: too many options...

also can someone explain the play sequence to me if I'm against a toxapex? like what should I be clicking to ensure that I have PP and win the matchup
This is a set I used months ago, it for sure still works against stall:

Kyurem @ Metronome
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpD / 200 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Icicle Spear
- Freeze-Dry

You only need to spam Freeze Dry against Toxapex.
Icicle Spear beats Chansey / Blissey.

Finchinator

You’re so golden
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending BW Circuit Champion
What's a decent bulky clef EV spread atm? Going 252 def always feels a bit weird
With Dragapult running Timid almost always, running 84 SDef to live 2 Hex when statused becomes a possibility. However, maximizing defense is helpful for Urshifu, Landorus-T, and other physical threats. Thankfully you do have a little more flexibility without Zygarde in the tier, but there is still a lot to focus on physically.

Maybe someone would address this as a "simple question, simple answer" but I feel like I need to ask it:
Why does Ubers not dictate the usage of OU?
Why does OU get to skate by, completely unaffected by the other tiers?
I know this is going to be blasted, but Cinderace was top10 usage in Ubers about two months ago. A mon with a top 10 Ubers usage probably doesn't belong in OU (which, at the time it was correctly banned.)

What is Zamazenta's % usage in Uber? If it's an upper eschelon pokemon, then it should not be allowed in OU.
All this talk about blurring the line has existed for generations now. But the clear cutoff should be usage stats, just as it is for every other tier.
Rhyperior bounced from RU to OU and then back down Pre-DLC. This wreaked havoc on RU and UU alike. OU should be subject to the same rules.

Zygarde was a fantastic and absolutely correct ban. Kyurem-B was an absolutely correct ban. Thank you to the OU council for rapidly addressing these mons.
Thank you for opening the discussion about Zam. It is a conversation that is worth having. I don't like it, as I've outlined above. I believe the mon firmy belongs in Ubers, and thus should not be in OU.

And because I know this post will cause problems: I apologize to the admins and other kind souls who frequent the forum and are striving to maintain order.
The DLC has been a nightmare, and your efforts to create a fun, enjoyable game for as much of the playerbase is greatly appreciated.

Jordy

is an official Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Maybe someone would address this as a "simple question, simple answer" but I feel like I need to ask it:
Correct! I moved your post to the thread.

Why does Ubers not dictate the usage of OU?
Because Ubers is primarily a banlist, and a tier secondly; its usage does not dictate OU as a result of being a banlist first and foremost.

Why does OU get to skate by, completely unaffected by the other tiers?
Because OU is the highest usage based tier.

I know this is going to be blasted, but Cinderace was top10 usage in Ubers about two months ago. A mon with a top 10 Ubers usage probably doesn't belong in OU (which, at the time it was correctly banned.)
Usage does not correlate to viability at all and usage in Ubers does not indicate how broken a Pokemon is in OU. Ubers and OU are completely different tiers and there is no point to comparing them like that. For example, Excadrill saw (sees?) really high usage in Ubers because it is perhaps the best speed control the tier has. That does not mean OU cannot adequately handle it, though. We have Pokemon like Corviknight, Skarmory, Hippowdon, Slowbro, etc. all available to check it.

What is Zamazenta's % usage in Uber? If it's an upper eschelon pokemon, then it should not be allowed in OU.
It hovers around .5% last I checked. However, usage does not dictate whether a Pokemon is fit to drop to OU or not. It is really important to understand that usage does not equate viability!! There is only a correlation between them, but one does not dictate the other.

I hope this helped clear up some things.

Correct! I moved your post to the thread.

Because Ubers is primarily a banlist, and a tier secondly; its usage does not dictate OU as a result of being a banlist first and foremost.

Because OU is the highest usage based tier.

Usage does not correlate to viability at all and usage in Ubers does not indicate how broken a Pokemon is in OU. Ubers and OU are completely different tiers and there is no point to comparing them like that. For example, Excadrill saw (sees?) really high usage in Ubers because it is perhaps the best speed control the tier has. That does not mean OU cannot adequately handle it, though. We have Pokemon like Corviknight, Skarmory, Hippowdon, Slowbro, etc. all available to check it.

It hovers around .5% last I checked. However, usage does not dictate whether a Pokemon is fit to drop to OU or not. It is really important to understand that usage does not equate viability!! There is only a correlation between them, but one does not dictate the other.

I hope this helped clear up some things.
Yes thank you so much!!!! Thank you for moving my post, a clear, concise response, and a prompt answer!!!

Katy

What goes around comes around!
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributor
Is Zeroara still viable in OU despite being in UU? If so what sets could it run?
Hello,

I would say Zeraora is still viable, but not as viable as it was before the DLC 2 Pack Crown Tundra dropped, since there are plenty of new enemies Zeraora encounters as a whole, such as Landorus-Therian, Garchomp, Nidoking, and Swampert, which all have high usage in OU and are on a lot of different teams.

As an electric-type breaker it also faces stiff competition with Tapu Koko, Zapdos (on Rain-Teams), Dracozolt (on Sand-Teams), and occosionally Choice Specs Regieleki as well as Rotom-Heat.

Moreover plenty of Pokemon tend to run Scarf besides being naturally fast to begin with, such as Spectrier and Dragapult to have an easier time to revengekill certain threats in the current meta. To add on Speedy-Pokemon Pheromosa and Barraskewda see a high usage as well.

I would say it is still viable but definitely not a top threat to prepare for in the current metagame, as the mentioned Pokemon above either threaten Zeraora in their own right defensively or offensively or Zeraora faces stiff competition from Pokemon such as Tapu Koko and Zapdos.

Last edited:
Now that Zygarde and Kyu-B have been banned, will you make a new survey not including them? There’s also the other issue that the metagame has improved with them gone, so many people’s issues with it before leading them to give it a low score are now gone.

Hello,

I would say Zeraora is still viable, but not as viable as it was before the DLC 2 Pack Crown Tundra dropped, since there are plenty of new enemies Zeraora encounters as a whole, such as Landorus-Therian, Garchomp, Nidoking, and Swampert, which all have high usage in OU and are on a lot of different teams.

As an electric-type breaker it also faces stiff competition with Tapu Koko, Zapdos (on Rain-Teams), Dracozolt (on Sand-Teams), and occosionally Choice Specs Regieleki as well as Rotom-Heat.

Moreover plenty of Pokemon tend to run Scarf besides being naturally fast to begin with, such as Spectrier and Dragapult to have an easier time to revengekill certain threats in the current meta. To add on Speedy-Pokemon Pheromosa and Barraskewda see a high usage as well.

I would say it is still viable but definitely not a top threat to prepare for in the current metagame, as the mentioned Pokemon above either threaten Zeraora in their own right defensively or offensively or Zeraora faces stiff competition from Pokemon such as Tapu Koko and Zapdos.
Ok, thanks for the info, I'll look into these other options.

ausma

I need Peace and Tranquility
is a Site Content Manageris an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Is Zeroara still viable in OU despite being in UU? If so what sets could it run?
To add onto Katy's great answer, I would like to offer you some potential options that it runs to try and stand out.

As she said, it faces a lot of difficulty in the tier currently due to the infestation of Landorus-T, Garchomp, Swampert, and other good Ground-types that stone wall its onslaught, as an Electric-type breaker it is fairly outclassed, and as speed control, Pheromosa and Choice Scarf Spectrier wholly trump it.

The best way to use it, in my opinion, is as a utility pivot, utilizing Knock Off and Toxic as a way to capitalize on the Ground-types it invites in. Unlike its competition, its access to Knock Off, Toxic, and its notable speed tier over Dragapult does give it a niche. Knock Off is a phenomenal move in the current metagame, able to strip many Pokemon of their valuable items, and it is a great way to pick off passive healing from Swampert/Landorus-T, as well as Choice items that could enable revenge killing or more effective breaking from opponents. Toxic is also a great option, which lays out a lot of pressure against the many Ground-types in the metagame which hate its recoil in the long term, especially since all barring Hippowdon lack reliable recovery.

Of course, Volt Switch is always a good option as well, and in tandem with HDB it can help to decently facilitate Pokemon such as Pheromosa and Melmetal that appreciate smoother switch-in opportunities against targets such as Rillaboom throughout the course of the game.

Thanks, but is Politoed still a viable option?
Politoed with Drizzle is always cool, and as stated, its Stealth Rock neutrality/access to Encore are neat standouts to give it more setting opportunities. Though, unlike Pelipper, its lack of momentum, lack of reliable recovery, and lack of a resistance/immunity to Fighting-types and Ground-types respectively hamper Rain teams' much needed momentum to keep up the pressure throughout the course of the match. Politoed also just doesn't synergize with Rain cores as well as Pelipper does. Though, you can certainly give it a try as a backup Rain setter!

Last edited:
Does rain have any consistent counterplay to Specs Kyurem besisdes running a random chansey ? I was just using it and the second I landed focus blast on ferro it was gg.

Does rain have any consistent counterplay to Specs Kyurem besisdes running a random chansey ? I was just using it and the second I landed focus blast on ferro it was gg.
Probably not switching ferro into kyurem is a good counterplay.

Jokes aside they normally just maintain some sort of offensive pressure/momentum to keep things like that in check unless they misplayed or switch into some fat mon that sucks up all their momentum.

Here's an odd question: With Zygarde banned, would it be possible to copy the Choice Band set with 10% Zygarde? You wouldn't be losing any power since the two formes have the same attack stat, but does 10%'s massively reduced bulk make it unsuitable for this role?

Here's an odd question: With Zygarde banned, would it be possible to copy the Choice Band set with 10% Zygarde? You wouldn't be losing any power since the two formes have the same attack stat, but does 10%'s massively reduced bulk make it unsuitable for this role?
I’ve seen it a couple times on some ladder runs I would use it on a more offense oriented team. It’s actually okay in practice. It’s job isnt really taking hits as opposed to dishing it out.

Zneon

Smash!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributor
You can use Choice Band Zygarde 10% yes but not really in the same way at all, you will need to use it more carefully and support it a lot more because of its pathetic bulk despite its amazing Speed, which gives it less opportunities to come in and spam its moves than Zygarde. Considering how frail it is you would give it Jolly over Adamant to outspeed things you don't want to be outsped by, like Latios and Garchomp, and maybe Iron Tail over Glare if you want to hit Clefable for super effective damage. You will use it as more of a hit and run Pokemon as opposed to one that takes hits and dishes them back harder due to its flaws.

Hope this helped! :blobthumbsup:

What's a good overall check to most Magearna setup sets? My team can sorta handle specs or AV but it seems to lack some offensive pressure and invites mag to set up for free and 6-0 me way too often.

I was thinking Ferrothorn or even something dumb like AV swampert (with the benefit that it'd block volt switch from other mag sets), but then i'd be stuck with an AV pert lol. Or (CB?) Cinderace from a more offensive standpoint. Am I missing anything good that checks those sets at bay relatively easily?

What's a good overall check to most Magearna setup sets? My team can sorta handle specs or AV but it seems to lack some offensive pressure and invites mag to set up for free and 6-0 me way too often.

I was thinking Ferrothorn or even something dumb like AV swampert (with the benefit that it'd block volt switch from other mag sets), but then i'd be stuck with an AV pert lol. Or (CB?) Cinderace from a more offensive standpoint. Am I missing anything good that checks those sets at bay relatively easily?
Unfortunately it’s dependent on what variant of boosting you’re facing. Melmetal can muscle through non Iron Defense variants if healthy, Scarf Lando can revenge kill with some chip and only if the Mag isnt Timid after boost or holding Shuca, Chansey/Blissey non Stored Power sets. Ditto cause Ditto. There’s other different checks but they’re based on which Mag you’re facing so not sure if there’s one that’s relatively easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)