Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
If I lose at all, is it just better off resetting my progress? At 5 wins 2 losses, was hoping I could recover by the 50 game mark, but seeing as im already 2 losses deep in only 7 games, i dont think its worth continuing on as the same registered account.

If I lose at all, is it just better off resetting my progress? At 5 wins 2 losses, was hoping I could recover by the 50 game mark, but seeing as im already 2 losses deep in only 7 games, i dont think its worth continuing on as the same registered account.
Depends, are you talking in the context of reqs? If so, then yeah you might want to restart while you can, because early losses can impact your GXE a lot.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
If you lose in the first 5-7 games at all, then it is best to try for a new account as reaching the GXE in a reasonable amount of games will take ages.

If you are struggling, a good tip is to save replays of your losses and go over mistakes so you can improve for future battles!

I've been messed a lot by speedy glass cannons like regieleki, pheremosa, blaziken, and katana. Walls like clefable and Blissey just can't seem to take it. Any alternatives? Thanks!

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I've been messed a lot by speedy glass cannons like regieleki, pheremosa, blaziken, and katana. Walls like clefable and Blissey just can't seem to take it. Any alternatives? Thanks!
All of these can be dealt with pretty well with strong defensive cores, but I will go more in detail with all of them for you.

Regieleki

Well for Regieleki it's pretty straightforward. Using a Ground-type always helps, and whats even better is how easy it is to fit a Ground-type onto a team primarily because every team, at least in my opinion, needs a volt blocker to not be a punching bag for momentum cores using Volt Switch and U-turn. Landorus-T, Swampert and Garchomp are examples and they are all very easy to put into a team.

Pheromosa

Pheromosa is much harder because unlike Regieleki, it doesn't really have many checks or counters. I feel the best thing for you to do is using multiple checks to it such as Clefable, Aegislash, Toxapex, Moltres etc. This will help you scout its set and hopefully make it easier to handle in practice, ClefPex is a great way of dealing with Pheromosa however you definitely need to use defensive cores using a very limited pool of Pokemon to consistently handle it however.

Blaziken

Blaziken can be dealt with much more easily defensively however. Slowbro, Toxapex, Moltres, Swampert, and Rocky Helmet Garchomp are able to check it very well, and since Blaziken is easily worn down due to Flare Blitz, hazards and Life Orb recoil, Blaziken is easier to handle in practice than it really seems.

Kartana

Lastly Kartana, having something like Moltres, Zapdos or Tornadus-T is a big help, and Kartana is also easier to offensively check, so Pokemon like Latios and Cinderace check SD Kartana amazingly well whereas with Choice Scarf Kartana if you ever run into it, is even easier to defensively check, Rocky Helmet Toxapex and Ferrothorn can wear Choice Scarf Kartana down depending on what it locks into or it can be forced out, allowing you to take advantage of that.

Hope this helped! :blobthumbsup:

Last edited:
To elaborate further, you can add new 'mons and change your mindset as well.
Now, Pheromosa is being suspect tested, so with some luck, you can remove that altogether, but, with the exception of Regieleki (who still is used as a screener on some HO) these are all 'mons based on having a stat boost, whether it's from Quiver Dance, SD, or Beast Boost, from the two team members you mentioned, I surmise the team you're using is a stall team, you don't have to necessarily stop using stall teams, but you could try going there with a more aggressive mindset whenever you face those 'mons, moves like Foul Play completely scare SD Kartana, while Teleport, who can be accessed with stuff like Slowbro, Clefable, Blissey/Chansey can help you gain momentum, same with U-turn, Volt Switch or Flip Turn, there is even an item like Eject Button, sometimes used by Toxapex in order to make it a sponge to guarantee the entry of another of your 'mons without it taking damage, other stuff like Encore Clefable also helps Clefable in not giving free setup to dangerous sweepers, speaking of it, Unaware+Softboiled is legal this gen, so you could try that too with HDB I guess. Finally, there's Rocky Helmet, as a passive method for damage, it does help against all the stuff you mentioned except Regieleki, who can't touch grounds anyway, unless they have Protective Pad. You can customize your stall team, make it a "Semi-Stall" where the defensive core is used to create easy openings for the brok-ahem very powerful sweepers/breakers, this way you focus on not being a deadweight, minimize the occasions where the opponent can do whatever they want, which, sometimes risk in you getting overwhelmed by the sheer power of some of these 'mons.

Last edited:
Other things that haven't been mentioned are priority users; in particular on stallish teams I think the two best are dragonite and rillaboom. Dragonite is decently chunky, has a good typing and multiscale which enable it to wall some threats, and extreme speed lets it take out a lot of these frailer mons with a bit of chip. With a set of EQ,ESpeed,fire punch roost and max hp/attack investment, it can check or counter every one of the mons you listed except triple axel pheromosa. I've found this set to be quite a good partner for blissey in particular, since it covers it with a fighting resist and can take on taunt heatrans that like to abuse it.

Banded rillaboom takes care of phero and regieleki in the vast majority of situations with grassy slide, can take on kartana if you have superpower, and can help your other team members with grassy terrain recovery and weakening earth moves (think ttar, toxapex...), while also knocking expected switch ins to make them easier to wear down

Just been curious since I’ve seen it pop up in the metagame thread, but what’s a good set / EV spread for defensive Toxicroak in rain? I love unconventional sets.

It's very likely somewhere on smogon, but I can't find it How do you earn badges? (A link would be just as helpful as anything else, if there's a page I'm missing.) Thx!

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
Bit of an odd question, but if I am using an unregistered account to reach higher ladder, and then register, will that count as having registered prior, and thus allow me to attain recs?
Basically, do i reg before, or can I do it after

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Bit of an odd question, but if I am using an unregistered account to reach higher ladder, and then register, will that count as having registered prior, and thus allow me to attain recs?
Basically, do i reg before, or can I do it after
Always register when you intend to use an account seriously. Your recs will be counted so long as we can prove the account is yours, but there is no point risking it.

What would be the EV spread for superpower nidoking? as much as I understand the superpower is for blissey, but nidoking can't 2hko standard blissey for sure without some investments, namely 148 attack, so do you just take that, and if you do how do you split the rest between spA and speed?

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
What would be the EV spread for superpower nidoking? as much as I understand the superpower is for blissey, but nidoking can't 2hko standard blissey for sure without some investments, namely 148 attack, so do you just take that, and if you do how do you split the rest between spA and speed?
It’s easy to chip Blissey, be it through using a special attack first or just chipping it with something else.

Also, you would go with a neutral attack nature (-a defense) with 40 Atk EVs if desperate. That does 60 min into 40 min with -1 Atk.

Whats the best moveset and EV spread for Exploud rn? I know Boomburst and some physical fighting move are important but I'm really unsure beyond that.

Semi related, has anyone found much luck with Terrain Pulse? I feel there must be a decent lure use with it somehow but im not smart enough to figure it out, especially when its users are so limited - Porygon 2, Lucario and the aforementioned Exploud seem the best bets.

Blisseys only option to harm Nidoking is usually sismic toss so I just bait the blisseys in with Nidoking and then use slugde wave again. Best case: Nidoking gets a free hit. Worst case: Nidoking eats a sismic toss.
After the two attacks the superpower will then kill the blissey.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Whats the best moveset and EV spread for Exploud rn? I know Boomburst and some physical fighting move are important but I'm really unsure beyond that.
Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Overheat
- Surf

Outruns max Gear, max Tar, max Zone, max Aegi, max +Speed Craw, and slow Heatran/Rotoms. Rest fully offensive. Coverages hits everhtbing. You live modest Fleur from 100 with the SDef. No physical move if learns actually dents Blissey here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)