Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I just tested to see if the mechanics changed, and from these replays it doesn't seem like they did. I put the damage that the moves shouldve done in the chat.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap-1236472142-xn2uztx542jcz0crn0h4x8xuo1zpjzxpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap-1236474288-bvixq85o8izxkpmztnxu3q2v0sliyqcpw
Original Question from Livio ElTito: How doed future sight interact with psychic terrain?

The original question here was how Future Sight relates to Psychic Terrain, not Choice Specs. The Choice Specs (1.5x) boost is lost when the Pokémon is swapped out, yes. But the Psychic Terrain (1.3x) boost is not lost, so long as terrain remains up when the move hits. I believe that is where your confusion lies. You have answered the wrong (but equally interesting) question.

Conclusions:
- If a choice specs Pokémon swaps out after using future sight, the 1.5x boost is lost.
- If future sight hits when Psychic Terrain is up, even if the original Pokémon was swapped out, it still receives a 1.3x power boost. If Terrain isn't up when the move hits, it doesn't receive the 1.3x power boost. This is the answer to the original question.

Can Slowbro-G still be used on HO as a legit threat or is it completely redundant and if its usable what type of HO does it fit in and what are its main partners

Finchinator

You’re so golden
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending BW Circuit Champion
Can Slowbro-G still be used on HO as a legit threat or is it completely redundant and if its usable what type of HO does it fit in and what are its main partners
It is still usable in the same sense as before: it is unreliable and cheesy, but if odds pull in its favor, then it can destroy any team lacking an Unaware Pokemon. The main difference is simply loftier competition for slots on these HOs, which is troublesome. It does well alongside Paralysis and screens, but you can argue pairing it with Grassy Terrain can improve its standing as well.

It is still usable in the same sense as before: it is unreliable and cheesy, but if odds pull in its favor, then it can destroy any team lacking an Unaware Pokemon. The main difference is simply loftier competition for slots on these HOs, which is troublesome. It does well alongside Paralysis and screens, but you can argue pairing it with Grassy Terrain can improve its standing as well.
Sorry for spamming but what would an optimal set look like?

Finchinator

You’re so golden
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending BW Circuit Champion
Sorry for spamming but what would an optimal set look like?
Nasty Plot / Sludge Bomb / 2 of Psychic, Flamethrower, Scald, and Focus Blast. Scald/Focus Blast allow for hitting Heatran/Tyranitar at least, but otherwise you always went with the first 3 attacking moves in the pre-DLC2 metagame. The jury is still out as to what is closest to optimal now, however.

Katy

What goes around comes around!
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributor
What changed to all Blissey to take back the crown as the blob of choice for OU?
Blissey can afford to run Heavy-Duty Boots, therefore making it a great defensive answer to a plethora of specially attacking threats such as Kingdra, Tapu Lele, and Magearna. It is also bulkier than Chansey in the aspect when Chanseys Eviolite gets knocked off / removed it is much more vulnerable than Blissey. Blissey can also function as a great utility Pokemon with Teleport and Thunder Wave / Toxic. Blissey is just better in that aspect as in conclusion, losing Heavy-Duty Boots hurts it less than Chansey losing its Eviolite.

Zneon

Smash!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributor
What changed to all Blissey to take back the crown as the blob of choice for OU?
Are you asking why Blissey is better than Chansey in the metagame? If you are, then it is solely due to Heavy-Duty Boots. Which makes it better than Chansey considerably due to still being extremely bulky while nullifying Chansey's biggest weakness which is its susceptibility to hazards and over reliance on its Eviolite, making Blissey a far more splashable Pokemon on bulky offensive and balance teams because of this while Chansey is more viable on staller builds due to its better bulk.

What is the normal set for this Mixed Garchomp I keep hearing whispers of? I haven't been able to discern it from the last round of usage stats.

What is the normal set for this Mixed Garchomp I keep hearing whispers of? I haven't been able to discern it from the last round of usage stats.
Chain chomp, aka Draco, Fire blast, Swords dance, Earthquake is the traditional mixed garchomp set in the past gens but I haven't really seen it get any real use in this meta as of yet or usage either, so I am going to assume you mean a mixed tank chomp set. Tank chomp typically runs EQ, Fire blast, Stealth rock, and toxic/dragon tail. I wouldn't really call this a "mixed set" though as it really only uses fire blast to hit steels but if you wanted the offensive mixed set use the chain chomp set I stated at the top.

What are the most common sets for Glowking running around right now? All I know is that it has Stabs and an AV. Kiss me soon in the metagame discussion persuaded me to try using it+Pex. Do Glowking run Max HP Max Spatk? Is is a more complex EV spread. What are also the common moves? Is Future Sight used alongside Psychic/shock or in place of it? Do Glowking run Scald, Fire Blast, or none? Thanks for any answers

Finchinator

You’re so golden
What are the most common sets for Glowking running around right now? All I know is that it has Stabs and an AV. Kiss me soon in the metagame discussion persuaded me to try using it+Pex. Do Glowking run Max HP Max Spatk? Is is a more complex EV spread. What are also the common moves? Is Future Sight used alongside Psychic/shock or in place of it? Do Glowking run Scald, Fire Blast, or none? Thanks for any answers
Slowking-Galar (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 128 SpA / 128 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower

This is what I run. Try using it with pokemon or cores struggle against QD Phero and offensive Magearna, which G-Slowking can handle. It can run Psychic over a coverage move or FS though.

Slowking-Galar (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 128 SpA / 128 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower

This is what I run. Try using it with pokemon or cores struggle against QD Phero and offensive Magearna, which G-Slowking can handle. It can run Psychic over a coverage move or FS though.
Ok thanks very much finch. It's very sad to see you go :(((((( but at least you helped me so i will be thankful. I'm using it alongside an Unaware Clefable which means my QD mosa matchup is excellent but I'm scared out of my mind by Garchomp so I think I'll keep it that way. Thank you

i changed it to Buzzwall because Kart also exists ok bye

Hi!
I'm looking for Dracozolt EV spread for sand teams.
I found a few but I don't know what benchmarks those spreads achieve.

Thank you ^^

Zneon

Smash!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributor
Hi!
I'm looking for Dracozolt EV spread for sand teams.
I found a few but I don't know what benchmarks those spreads achieve.

Thank you ^^
Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 120 Atk / 136 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

This is the EV spread run. The SpA EVs allow Dracozolt to always OHKO Physdef Ferrothorn with Fire Blast even without Stealth Rocks up. The Speed is max to ensure it outspeeds as many Pokemon as it needs to, since even with Lonely it outspeeds everything outside of Regieleki unboosted, and the rest is dumped into attack to ensure it does as much damage with Bolt Beak.

Hope this helped! :blobthumbsup:

What's the Best Set for Hydreigon at the moment
Offensive Hydreigon has fallen off a bit due to the influx of Clefables as well as blissey, and the recent addition of pokemon that outspeed and revenge kill it such as Kartana and Pheromosa that just straight up OHKO it. Currently the most common set and most viable for Hydreigon is specially defensive which is commonly ran due to Spectrier, as well as Heatran to an extent. Those sets commonly run something similar or exactly alike to the following:
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Defog

Leftovers is an obvious given as it helps it heal back the damage from stealth rocks, the 88 speed is to outspeed max speed non timid heatrans. The reason why it has 248 ev's in hp instead of 252 is for minimal stealth rocks damage, and the rest is dumped into special defense with a calm nature for further walling abilities. Lastly for the moves, roost is required if you want it to have some sort of longevity as well as earth power to be able to fend off Heatrans when you switch in. Defog is there for hazard support since special defense Hydreigon doesn't really need another attacking slot, and lastly dark pulse is a good hitting stab that can cover opposing Spectrier's.

Why isn’t no QD pure fat Volcorona a thing? Seems like it checks most of the same stuff moltres does while also beating Phero as the expense of the Heatran matchup? Fiery Dance lets you 1v1 fat shit like utility clef clef too without a setup move.

Katy

What goes around comes around!
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributor
Why isn’t no QD pure fat Volcorona a thing? Seems like it checks most of the same stuff moltres does while also beating Phero as the expense of the Heatran matchup? Fiery Dance lets you 1v1 fat shit like utility clef clef too without a setup move.
Quiver Dance-sets of Volcarona are the best sets, as after a setup Volcarona is really threatening to a lot of common Pokemon in the tier. Sure a pure fat Volcarona is able to tackle Pheromosa, but you lose out the powerhouse aspect Volcarona is able to give you with a Boost due to Quiver Dance. Quiver Dance is easily the best move on Volcarona and when you got rid of the checks and counters this Set can easily tear holes into the opposing team. Also non-Quiver Dance-Volcarona can't bust through Pokemon such as Toxapex, Tapu Fini, and furthermore Blissey. It also gets hardstopped by too many Pokemon. Moltres, Heatran and Blissey are a great counterplay. But when these Pokemon are weakened severly and have to come into Volcarona 1 Quiver Dance-boost can make a big difference between making them vulnerable to Volcarona, or these Pokemon still stop Volcarona.

I think Quiver Dance-Sets are still the most viable option, due to the sheer power Volcarona can get and can dent holes through many teams in the current metagame.

Last edited:

Spyro

Banned deucer.
Why are there no threads that instead of focusing on one Pokemon it focuses on a whole archetype?

It would be nice to see peoples ideas and sets to explore a certain archetype whether it's sand, rain, hail, sun, trick room, stall and HO. It be cool to discuss each one's weaknesses and strengths and see how we can improve upon them.

Why are there no threads that instead of focusing on one Pokemon it focuses on a whole archetype?

It would be nice to see peoples ideas and sets to explore a certain archetype whether it's sand, rain, hail, sun, trick room, stall and HO. It be cool to discuss each one's weaknesses and strengths and see how we can improve upon them.
hey, there's not really any discussing hard stall or HO due to the breadth of the topic, but here's some great threads from the past few weeks doing that for rain, trick room, sand, and hail (which is just pinkinator's RMT but is excellent if you want to learn about hail).

rain - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...usage-stats-in-post-1286.3672210/post-8661929
trick room/ general archetypes - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...usage-stats-in-post-1286.3672210/post-8673853
sand - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...usage-stats-in-post-1286.3672210/post-8666511
hail - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-2104-new-peak-ft-vanilluxe-swampert.3673996/

Spyro

Banned deucer.
hey, there's not really any discussing hard stall or HO due to the breadth of the topic, but here's some great threads from the past few weeks doing that for rain, trick room, sand, and hail (which is just pinkinator's RMT but is excellent if you want to learn about hail).

rain - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...usage-stats-in-post-1286.3672210/post-8661929
trick room/ general archetypes - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...usage-stats-in-post-1286.3672210/post-8673853
sand - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...usage-stats-in-post-1286.3672210/post-8666511
hail - https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-2104-new-peak-ft-vanilluxe-swampert.3673996/
Thanks I knew about some of those but while you can discuss this stuff in the OU discussiom thread it's hard to really get people on board since it will buried with new posts about a different topic. This is where a thread that focuses on the topic could come in. So it's more of a suggestion but a question too I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)