Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Nasty Plot Hydreigon is decent however it has a lot of issues in the metagame right now that make it overall less effective and overall less viable than its Bulky Defogger set. So I want to go over 1 large flaw of Nasty Plot Hydreigon in the metagame to add to Katy's already great answer that make it a less effective wallbreaker!

The first and biggest flaw of it, is that it is more easily pressured and forced out. New additions like Garchomp, Pheromosa, Latios, Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini and Kartana, and even previous checks like Clefable and Blissey have made its job significantly harder due all of them being pretty common, and good Pokemon in the current metagame, which gives it significantly less and made its job of breaking much harder.

The second is the fact that despite how powerful and threatening it is when it does get the NP off, the lack of immediate powerful before hand really hinders it in its ability to hit hard. Outside of a few Pokemon such as Slowbro and Spectrier, Hydreigon doesn't really force many things out like it used to considering that this metagame is significantly more offensive combined with its lack of setup opportunities now, while its devastating when it does get the opportunity to wreak havoc, the opportunities are simply not there unfortunately.

Hope this helped with knowing NP Hydreigon's viability! :blobthumbsup:
Ty for ur answer too

Katy

Banned deucer.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Is a mean look/cm/taunt/draining kiss set viable for Tapu Fini?
No most of the defensive switch ins to Fini are not threatened by this set because things like Pex run poison coverage for Clef, QD Phero, Fini and some run Shed Shell to escape Tran. Ferro can just knock off and Power Whip variants beat it completely. Imo if you’re using Mean Look variants slotting Nature Madness over CM and water coverage over draining kiss makes more sense so it doesnt feel useless against everything else.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Why is Galarian Slowking OU now? Is there some specific mons it really well equipped to handle to justify it's usage or is this some type of new toy effect?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Why is Galarian Slowking OU now? Is there some specific mons it really well equipped to handle to justify it's usage or is this some type of new toy effect?
Equipped with an Assault Vest it is incredibly bulky on the special side, which allows it to check threats like Quiver Dance Pheromosa and Choice Specs Magearna. It also hits surprisingly hard and has great coverage in Sludge Bomb, Fire Blast, and Hydro Pump/Scald on top of Future Sight. Poison-typing means it also has the nifty ability to absorb Toxic Spikes.
Storm Zone popularized it with a team of his that was also used by John W in Smogon Tour playoffs.

Is Seismic Toss + Teleport a legal combination on Blissey? I noticed both listed on a Spotlight post in the same set without slashes on them, but to my knowledge, one is a TM in LGPE or VC Gen 1, while the other is an Egg Move from Chain breeding Mawile in Gen 6 onward.

Since Teleport is no longer a TM in Gen 8 and Home is a one-way transfer on LGPE, would it still pass down when breeding? Otherwise I'm not sure how the combination is obtainable.

Is Seismic Toss + Teleport a legal combination on Blissey? I noticed both listed on a Spotlight post in the same set without slashes on them, but to my knowledge, one is a TM in LGPE or VC Gen 1, while the other is an Egg Move from Chain breeding Mawile in Gen 6 onward.

Since Teleport is no longer a TM in Gen 8 and Home is a one-way transfer on LGPE, would it still pass down when breeding? Otherwise I'm not sure how the combination is obtainable.
It is impossible on a Blissey, but Clefable gets it, making Clefable a pretty solid wish passer.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader

Chansey can learn Seismic Toss through TM19 in Gen 1, in which it can also learn Teleport through TM30.

They meant seismic toss + teleport, not wish + teleport
Ah good catch dude, thanks :p

Yeah, as Ruft said it can learn it in Gen 1. Seismic Toss is also available as a move tutor in the pewter city museum in FRLG, which Blissey is also compatible with.

Because Galarian Slowking isn't really a viable Pokemon to really be considered on teams in the metagame unfortunately. Its typing is very exploitable defensively and can easily be taken advantage of by very prevalent Pokemon such as Spectrier, Latios, Garchomp, Landorus-T, Heatran and Nidoking and it cannot really play around this huge weakness because of its horrid Speed, making it outclassed by pretty much every other wallbreaker in the metagame outside of Regenerator.

The closest thing of a niche you could use it for is as a special tank with AV and Regenerator that checks stuff like Clefable and Toxapex fairly well, however it doesn't really check much consistently and even those can just Knock Off its AV and make it much less effective. its also really hard to fit this Pokemon on teams in general since regular Slowking, despite having a different niche, is a generally better Pokemon than Galarian Slowking as its better typing and access to Teleport make it easier to fit onto teams.
I guess it was better than this then

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What are some staple cores/mons in a HO team in OU this gen?
You oftentimes see a lot of offensive Fighting types on HO right now. For example, Urshifu + Pheromosa is a common core (with Blaziken being possible instead of one of them) as one can break down Clefable or Toxapex for the other to clean up. You also see plenty of lead SR Landorus-T, Dual Screens Regieleki, set-up Magearna, and Rillaboom to name a couple of common options.

There's also a new mechanic in gen 8 that allows pokemon to inherit up to 3 egg moves when put in daycare with a pokemon of same specie, regardless of gender. This is what allows compatibility of older moveset and event pokemon with anything that is an egg move in gen 8. Since Seismic Toss is still a egg move in gen 8, which enabled a handful of formerly impossible combinations like the mentioned Wish (gen 3-8 Egg move) + Teleport (gen 1 TM) Clefable, or event moves + gen 8 egg moves. Most aren't really competitively viable but there's the odd case here and there.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Is there any reason to run another dual screener outside of Regieleki on HO? I.e. Grimmsnarl, Espeon, etc.

What are some good answers to Taunt CM Fini? I keep getting swept by it. Between it's great physical defense, Draining Kiss and Taunt/Misty Terrain it is very hard for me to deal with on a consistent basis. I know there's Ferrothorn but what else?

What are some good answers to Taunt CM Fini? I keep getting swept by it. Between it's great physical defense, Draining Kiss and Taunt/Misty Terrain it is very hard for me to deal with on a consistent basis. I know there's Ferrothorn but what else?
try kartana

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
what pokemon work well with glowking? what evs does glowking usually run?
Slowking-Galar (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 128 SpA / 128 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower

This is what I run. Try using it with pokemon or cores struggle against QD Phero and offensive Magearna, which G-Slowking can handle.

Rillaboom, Ferrothorn, RH Clear Smog Gastro, Kartana, and offensive Zapdos all do really well against it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)