Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

How much benefit does Conkelldur gain from getting Close Combat now? Is it somewhat balanced out by the number of great ghosts running around? And Aegislash gets it too, could that ever see usage or does Aegislash rely too much on its defences?

Just a weird in-game question. I saw that legendaries are now allowed at the Battle Tower, but what about the held item limit? Can more than one Pokemon on the same battle team have the same held item, like for example can a Sandaconda and Corviknight both hold Leftovers as an item during a run in the Battle Tower?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Cipher Admin Lovrina I'd go Timid to assure outrunning some faster pkmn/scarfers at +2, but both are viable I suppose.

what's the best counter to corviknight atm?
Haze Toxapex if it lacks Taunt with BU, Rotom forms, Toxtricity, fire types in general, and faster Taunt users usually do very well.

How much benefit does Conkelldur gain from getting Close Combat now? Is it somewhat balanced out by the number of great ghosts running around? And Aegislash gets it too, could that ever see usage or does Aegislash rely too much on its defences?
I do not think CC does much for it. Defog actually helps more, in my opinion. Unfortunately, the large amount of Clefable, the abundance of Ghost types, and the general pace of the metagame does not make Conk the most consistent option. It is still very viable, but it is not quite a world-beater despite gaining a few cool new toys. Defog is cool and Mach Punch is great for Bisharp, Darmanitan, and Excadrill, but it is still very slow and not the most durable Pokemon out there, so it naturally will run into some issues.

Just a weird in-game question. I saw that legendaries are now allowed at the Battle Tower, but what about the held item limit? Can more than one Pokemon on the same battle team have the same held item, like for example can a Sandaconda and Corviknight both hold Leftovers as an item during a run in the Battle Tower?
Here is the place for in-game discussion. This is only for the OU metagame.

What ev's should glalie be using?
Glalie @ Leftovers
Ability: Moody
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Protect
- Disable / Taunt
- Freeze-Dry

This is the set I am personally most familiar with. I bet there are different variants of it, but this should probably be sufficient. Also, we are adding it to the viability list to reflect it having a niche!

Is there a bug going around with paralyses or status in general? Every time I play and a pokemon gets paralyzed, I always get the hax first turn. It makes the game borderline unwinnable, especially against prankster pokemon like Grimmsnarl. And it's every game. The rate at which it is happening simply isn't natural. When I mention it to my last opponent, he said the same happened for him but with freeze hax. I can't confirm or deny his claim. But it makes me wonder if there are status bugs going around?

Also, no one answered my last question about Eviolite and non Galarian forms like Mr. Mime. So while I'm at it, I might as well repeat myself.

I wasn't able to find the answer to this, but will Max Guard fail if
  1. A pokemon used protect in an earlier round
  2. Switched out and came back in
  3. Then used Max Guard
According to the Smogon description of Max Guard (Link), Max guard has a 1/X chance to fail starting at X = 1, which means its guaranteed to work if you did not use any kind of protection skill prior to using Max Guard. I wasn't sure if X carries over between switches. I played a Showdown match where I switched in and used Max Guard, but it failed. I believe my previous move with that pokemon in was a protect, but from much earlier in the match.

Any clarification would be helpful!

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Is there a bug going around with paralyses or status in general? Every time I play and a pokemon gets paralyzed, I always get the hax first turn. It makes the game borderline unwinnable, especially against prankster pokemon like Grimmsnarl. And it's every game. The rate at which it is happening simply isn't natural. When I mention it to my last opponent, he said the same happened for him but with freeze hax. I can't confirm or deny his claim. But it makes me wonder if there are status bugs going around?

Also, no one answered my last question about Eviolite and non Galarian forms like Mr. Mime. So while I'm at it, I might as well repeat myself.
There is no such bug reported and I have experienced instances of it not happening.

Pretty sure it is the former @ your earlier question, but not positive.

malomyotismon i would not use ludicolo

quick question, not sure if this was asked. Does Rock Head cancel the recoil of Steel Beam? And if so, how would it be on Steelix? Normally you only run gyro ball, but would steel Beam work, even with the lower SpA?

Do ATK boost influence the power of body press? I've ran calcs in the calculator without defense boost and simulated mons with plus 1 ATK. The calculator shows that it gets boosts from that. I don't know if it's a bug but just need some clarity.

Just curious that now everyone is running Timid Togekiss.

Is Bold Togekiss with T-wave still viable? Especially with uninvested speed?

Was thinking about 252hp/252def/4 spa togekiss, but unsure whether i should invest some speed ev.

Hello, I was curious as to why Grookey’s hidden ability is marked as legal in the teambuilder? Is there a legitimate way to get it with the hidden ability already, and if so, how?
I would check serabi to see if it can even have the ability and if so it’s probably through breeding

Do ATK boost influence the power of body press? I've ran calcs in the calculator without defense boost and simulated mons with plus 1 ATK. The calculator shows that it gets boosts from that. I don't know if it's a bug but just need some clarity.
Last time I checked, the calculator uses the Pokemon's attack stat for body press. Body press is boosted by defence boosts, not attack boosts. If you want to do a calculation, make the Pokemon's attack equal to its defence, and give it attack boosts equal to its defence boosts.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Body slam or body press for a snorlax with curse, sleep talk, and rest?
Body Slam.
Just curious that now everyone is running Timid Togekiss.

Is Bold Togekiss with T-wave still viable? Especially with uninvested speed?

Was thinking about 252hp/252def/4 spa togekiss, but unsure whether i should invest some speed ev.
Offensive Togekiss is simply more viable at the moment with Dynamax.

Last time I checked, the calculator uses the Pokemon's attack stat for body press. Body press is boosted by defence boosts, not attack boosts. If you want to do a calculation, make the Pokemon's attack equal to its defence, and give it attack boosts equal to its defence boosts.
How is it in the actual game because when I do ATK boost and no defense boost, the power for body press increases without defense boosts and atk boost only

Im looking for some anti-hazard support for a rain team, but im a bit stuck on which defog or rappid spinner to chose. Corvinknight and hawlucha seems like safe options but both add an addition electic weakness which im not keen on with the former being a bit passive so with excadrill ruled out as a epinner im leaning towards conkledur atm as an option.

Very stupid question I'm hoping someone can answer.

Why can a dynamax togekiss (first turn, no buffs) outspeed choice scarf weavile (non-dyna)? Is it getting some kind of priority on Max Airstream I am unaware of?

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Very stupid question I'm hoping someone can answer.

Why can a dynamax togekiss (first turn, no buffs) outspeed choice scarf weavile (non-dyna)? Is it getting some kind of priority on Max Airstream I am unaware of?
there is no priority, do you have a replay?

Reactions: TPP
there is no priority, do you have a replay?
I didn't save the replay unfortunately, if its possible to search its my most recent match but as far as I know you cant do this (happened like 20 mins ago? Name on showdown is identical).

But in theory, if my Weavile has choice scarf, non dyna, and first turn vs. a Togekiss which dynamaxs - there is literally no reason I can think of for it to go first, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)