Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

What would the best nature and abilitys be and the ivs or evs for these pokemon rapidash nature is adament with the ability pastel veil then hawlucha which nature is lonely and then the ability is unburden then bisharp nature is naive woth ability of inner focus then normal rotom nature is modest and ability is levitate then a piakchu with modest nature and anility is static and riolu with serious nature with ability of steqdfest and all of em are amazing stats the rapidash only stat that needs to be worked on is sp. Atk then hawlucha stat that needs work on is defense and sp. Atk and bisharp is sp. Def and rotom is speed and riolu needs its hp, defense sp. Atk, and speed

What would the best nature and abilitys be and the ivs or evs for these pokemon rapidash nature is adament with the ability pastel veil then hawlucha which nature is lonely and then the ability is unburden then bisharp nature is naive woth ability of inner focus then normal rotom nature is modest and ability is levitate then a piakchu with modest nature and anility is static and riolu with serious nature with ability of steqdfest and all of em are amazing stats the rapidash only stat that needs to be worked on is sp. Atk then hawlucha stat that needs work on is defense and sp. Atk and bisharp is sp. Def and rotom is speed and riolu needs its hp, defense sp. Atk, and speed
Alright I'll be as detailed as I can here.

This is your current team, based on what you described:
Rapidash-Galar
Ability: Pastel Veil
Adamant Nature

Hawlucha
Ability: Unburden
Lonely Nature

Bisharp
Ability: Inner Focus
Naive Nature

Rotom
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature

Pikachu
Ability: Static
Modest Nature

Riolu
Ability: Steadfast

I assume this is an in-game team so I did not include any EVs or IVs. Realistically there are stronger Pokemon to use in competitive battling but for the sake of your question I will try to make each individual Pokemon as viable as it can be. Rapidash is best off using a Jolly nature since the extra speed is helpful. Extra speed is almost always the way to go for a fast attacker. Hawlucha is an exception since Unburden will give it so much speed that an Adamant nature will be preferred. Bisharp can run either Jolly or Adamant; that depends on whether you prefer extra speed or extra power. Rotom will work fine with a Modest nature but Timid is also useful; once again, it depends whether you prefer speed or power. Pikachu is more difficult to address since it can run either physical or special sets, so for our purposes we can keep it Modest. The same applies to Riolu, but I would make it Jolly.

Next, I've built sets for each Pokemon (most of this comes from the on-site strategy pokedex) that will give you the optimal sets for the current meta. The abilities have been changed on some of them and the best EVs and IVs are listed. I've also made two additional versions of the team, the first being one with every one of your Pokemon fully-evolved, as they're better that way, and one with some of them changed out to make a team more suited for the current competitive scene.

You can copy/paste them into Pokemon Showdown so you can try them out online. I'm happy to answer any remaining questions.

Optimized recommendations:
Rapidash-Galar @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Zen Headbutt
- Low Kick

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Throat Chop
- Acrobatics

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Throat Chop
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Rotom @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Lightning Rod
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Grass Knot
- Electric Terrain

Riolu @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Optimized, fully evolved
Rapidash-Galar @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Zen Headbutt
- Low Kick

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Throat Chop
- Acrobatics

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Throat Chop
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Rotom @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Raichu @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Optimized, meta-relevant
Indeedee (M) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire
- Hyper Voice
- Encore

Hawlucha @ Psychic Seed
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Throat Chop
- Acrobatics

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Throat Chop
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Note that Male Indeedee and Galarian Darmanitan are exclusive to Sword. If you want I can make something that works for Shield, unless you don't mind trading. Alternatively, you can leave the competitive stuff to Pokemon Showdown, since it's way easier than trying to do it all on the switch, and just have fun with your in-game team. That's usually what I do lol.

I've heard a few times that Dynamaxing in general is much more balanced for doubles formats, almost as if it was designed more for that than for singles. What could be changed with Dynamaxing to make it more viable (read: less OP insofar it'd still warrant a ban) in singles formats?

One idea I had would be to make it still subject to the effects of Choice Items. So for example, if a species has a choice item, uses Waterfall, then Dynamaxes, it will be stuck using Max Geyser, and when reverting, it will continue to be forced into using Waterfall.

But, another thought I had, was that there's no official 6v6 format, as far as I can recall. For singles, it's 3v3, right? As a result, I'd imagine that there'd be less switching, and thus, not as much use in phazing - which is something where Dynamaxed specimens have an immunity. So I suppose I was wondering if Dynamaxing is as OP in 3v3 singles within the official singles format as it is in Smogon's 6v6, the latter of which also permits species that are typically banned in most in-game online formats, such as mythical species.

We don't do theorymon stuff in this thread, for the record.

So I suppose I was wondering if Dynamaxing is as OP in 3v3 singles within the official singles format as it is in Smogon's 6v6, the latter of which also permits species that are typically banned in most in-game online formats, such as mythical species.
What I've heard from various high-level BSS players, is that Dynamax is totally balanced in 3v3 because it's a lot easier to call out.

What options are there for checks to BU Corviknight? The first ones that come to mind are Rotom (wash/heat) and Toxtricity. I'm looking for something with reliable recovery, for a stall team.

I was thinking of using Togedemaru as a check to specs Toxtricity, and I am tempted to double it as a check to Corviknight; it 4x resists brave bird, hits super effectively, and provides wish support for itself and other team members. However, it hits like a wet paper bag, so I haven't thought of a set that can do the job, except for a nutty work up set.

I was also thinking of Runerigus as a Toxtricity check instead, and using Jolteon for wish support and a Corviknight check. Are there perhaps better checks to Toxtricity?

What options are there for checks to BU Corviknight? The first ones that come to mind are Rotom (wash/heat) and Toxtricity. I'm looking for something with reliable recovery, for a stall team.

I was thinking of using Togedemaru as a check to specs Toxtricity, and I am tempted to double it as a check to Corviknight; it 4x resists brave bird, hits super effectively, and provides wish support for itself and other team members. However, it hits like a wet paper bag, so I haven't thought of a set that can do the job, except for a nutty work up set.

I was also thinking of Runerigus as a Toxtricity check instead, and using Jolteon for wish support and a Corviknight check. Are there perhaps better checks to Toxtricity?
Your best option is spamming volt switch with a Rotom variant; Heat is the best rn but the others could work. You can also try Whirlwind Hippowdown or CurseLax with Darkest Lariat. Bulk Up Grimmsnarl probably can't eat hits well enough to check it but it's worth trying since it beats Dragapult too. If you try Sub Disable Dragapult on stall, which honestly might not be a bad idea since it annoys every team with Wisp + Hex, it should beat Corv without much trouble. Maybe bulky Aegislash can break the sub with Shadow Ball? That's all I can think of right now.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Would there be any benefit to running a +Spe nature Aegislash in the current meta?
Eh not really. The only thing that's semi relevant that it outspeeds is Adamant Crawdaunt, and like some wack Rotom spreads I guess. If anything you don't want Aegi to be too fast because it lets you take advantage of Shield form's defenses. Not being able to OHKO something leaves Aegi wide open to being killed off in Blade form. The most Speed I usually run on Choiced Aegis (which are usually the sets you want some Speed) is 164. This gets the jump on Mandibuzz and most LO Clefs. These are important to outspeed because Clef's LO Flamethrower/Blast does loads to Aegi, meanwhile Specs or Banded Steel move melts it. Mandi is especially important to outspeed for Steel Beam/Head Smash shenanigans.

How well does Claydol fare in this meta? It seems like it should do well with both SR, Spikes and Rapid spin, but I’m not seeing it much.

Actually, on that note, how are hazards and hazard control in the meta? Is it a mishmash of everything, or are there certain preferable hazards/controls?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
How well does Claydol fare in this meta? It seems like it should do well with both SR, Spikes and Rapid spin, but I’m not seeing it much.
Claydol can do a lot of things, but not particularly well. It is a bad Pokemon and matches up poorly vs the entire tier almost.

Actually, on that note, how are hazards and hazard control in the meta? Is it a mishmash of everything, or are there certain preferable hazards/controls?
Hazards are a bit less prevalent rn due to Mandibuzz and Corviknight being all over.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Could I ask why Corviknight S Ranked?
I moved this to this thread from the VR as it was not appropriate; I am not merging it with the other post so you do not get notified, but please refer all questions to this thread, not the VR.

It is S rank because it is very good. Many competitive teams use it as a Defog or Bulk Up user atm; it is a top utility and defensive presence in the metagame.

Is ice fang viable on Gyarados replacing Bounce?
I do not see a big need for Ice Fang, but you probably could replace Bounce with EQ or Power Whip.

Reactions: TPP
I do not see a big need for Ice Fang, but you probably could replace Bounce with EQ or Power Whip.
Thank You
Is this set viable on screen team?

Gyarados @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

This is probably super subjective, but what's generally considered a good ladder rank around here? 1,500? 1,600?

It's been a very long time since I've played competitive pokemon seriously and I want to know if I've still got it.

I’ve been hearing a lot about band/specs aegislash and wanted to try them out, but didn’t know the move sets. I was using these two:

Aegislash @ Choice Band
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Head Smash
- Close Combat

Aegislash @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Steel Beam
- Shadow Sneak

Are these the movesets/EV spreads I should be using or is there something I’m missing? Or are the sets more variable to fit what you need? Thanks!

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I’ve been hearing a lot about band/specs aegislash and wanted to try them out, but didn’t know the move sets. I was using these two:

Aegislash @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw / Head Smash
- Close Combat

Aegislash @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Steel Beam
- Shadow Sneak

Are these the movesets/EV spreads I should be using or is there something I’m missing? Or are the sets more variable to fit what you need? Thanks!
Aegislash @ Choice Specs
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Steel Beam
- Close Combat

Aegislash @ Choice Band
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw / Head Smash
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat

You want to run some Speed for LO Clef, Milotic, and Mandi, the latter which is considered the best Ghost resist in the tier but loses to both these sets. You can choose to run more Speed in case of potential creeps but overall this is all you really need. CC > Sneak on Specs so you can always OHKO Tyranitar. You don't need a -Spe nature to accomplish this.

Last edited:
Aegislash @ Choice Specs
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Steel Beam
- Close Combat

Aegislash @ Choice Band
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Head Smash
- Close Combat

You want to run some Speed for LO Clef and Mandi, the latter which is considered the best Ghost resist in the tier but loses to both these sets. You can choose to run more Speed in case of potential creeps but overall this is all you really need. CC > Sneak on Specs so you can always OHKO Tyranitar. You don't need a -Spe nature to accomplish this.
Thanks so much! Running some speed makes sense since you can’t mess around with Kings Shield, is Steel Beam used on the specs set mainly for mandibuzz, or more of a “whatever mon takes this is going to die”? Or both?

Gary

Thanks so much! Running some speed makes sense since you can’t mess around with Kings Shield, is Steel Beam used on the specs set mainly for mandibuzz, or more of a “whatever mon takes this is going to die”? Or both?
Mandibuzz in particular yea, also the more niche Umbreon. It's also just a great move to suicide with, because practically nothing in the tier is going to want to take it.

Yes. They usually run Substitute or Taunt alongside the usual Roost and Brave Bird. I've seen some run Iron Head but I personally only use that on defensive sets, cause mono Steel is gonna have a hard time getting anything started.
Is BU, Power trip viable

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why did Arena Trap not get the boot alongside Shadow Tag? Is the inability to trap airborne Pokemon enough to keep it significantly less problematic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)