Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

What sets and spreads do Scizor often run these days?
aside from the choice band set shared above, i believe swords dance offensive with life orb is also seeing some usage, as well as specially defensive variants with roost which can be pretty handy for kyurem and magearna. for the offensive sets i'd run at least 140 speed for your bullet punch to outprioritize azumarill, as well as outspeed magearna and other pokemon creeping azumarill. but faster is probably reasonable too! rest in attack and hp. as for the defensive set, i believe max max is the way to go, but you can probably give it some speed as well if you so wish.

What's a good toxapex counter? Using Dragapult, Magneara, Clefable. Corviknight, Cinderace and Azumaril. Couldn't really damage it, since it had haze. Also, does this team have any glaring weaknesses requiring me to change out a pokemon?

What's a good toxapex counter? Using Dragapult, Magneara, Clefable. Corviknight, Cinderace and Azumaril. Couldn't really damage it, since it had haze. Also, does this team have any glaring weaknesses requiring me to change out a pokemon?
You're stacking a lot of types that are weak against toxapex's type. you have 3 fairies 2 steels a fire and a water, with dragpult's dual types and corvi's flying type being the only one's that don't hit pex NVE. If you want the same team composition I'd say banded zen headbutt cinderace should be your way of breaking pex.

Solid counters to Magearna and Single Strike Urshifu? I know hard counters are pretty impossible.

And if I can ask: Who are some good teammates for Volcarona?

Gomi

yep
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Solid counters to Magearna and Single Strike Urshifu? I know hard counters are pretty impossible.

And if I can ask: Who are some good teammates for Volcarona?
Nothing truly counters magearna due to the sheer number of sets it possesses. However, Stored power sets can't break pex easily, specs and scarf sets cant do much to walls like Pex and Chans without tricking away their item, CM+Pain split sets tend to struggle with Offensive Fires such as Volcarona, Cinderace, and Rotom-Heat, and Amoongus can emergency spore pretty much every mage in a 1v1 scenario.
As for Urshifu, counters do not really exist besides Galarian-Weezing, which takes a huge chunk from Iron Head variants, and shelmet, which is both a shelmet and ruined by knock off. However, Tangrowth+A resist to both stabs (Tangrowth+Pult+Mandibuzz, Tangrowth+Slowbro+Mandibuzz) or Clefable/Physdef Togekiss are basically your best bet for viable forms of Defensive Urshifu counterplay. It's certainly not perfect but its the best you can viably accomplish sadly.
And finally, Volcarona pairs well with Specs Magearna, Libero Cinderace, and Belly Drum Azu, as they either pressure shared checks heavily, Remove Them outright, or just generally get Volcarona in a position to finish up the game.

I have run into Imprison and Transform Mew a few times now. What is the whole set? Is this legit or a mere gimmick? Thanks in advance.

I have run into Imprison and Transform Mew a few times now. What is the whole set? Is this legit or a mere gimmick? Thanks in advance.
The set is typically Imprison, Block, Transform, Roost. It's used on stall occasionally as a means to remove opposing mons such as hippowdon and ferrothorn that would otherwise be able to pester bulkier builds. With the amount of U-Turn/Teleport spam right now, I'm not sure it's the best idea, but Transform also has a ton of utility.

What's a good counter for rain teams? Using an azumaril, cinderace, dragapult, magearna, mandibuzz (replaced my corviknight) and clefable. Dragapult and magneara know thunderbolt but the kingra and barraskewdas get so fast and do so much damage.

What's a good counter for rain teams? Using an azumaril, cinderace, dragapult, magearna, mandibuzz (replaced my corviknight) and clefable. Dragapult and magneara know thunderbolt but the kingra and barraskewdas get so fast and do so much damage.
I might consider replacing Azumarill with Sp.Def Toxapex. While it removes some of your offensive presence, this provides you a sturdy answer to Kingdra in a bulky water resist. While it struggles a bit with Barraskewda, LO gets worn down and CB can be played around. Toxapex also helps you matchup against stuff like setup Mag (not forcing you to go Cinderace each time).

Katy

Banned deucer.
what is a good ev spread for a Specially Defensive Corviknight?

hello,

specially defensive Corviknight isn't that much seen at the moment due to the metagame trending towards offensive powerhouses like Excadrill as well as Bisharp. The spread is 252 HP and 252 Def and the remaing 4 are put into the SpD, alternatively you could run a spread of 252 HP and 252 SpD alongside the nature careful to cover up the matchup against the likes of Clefable and maybe Alakazam a bit better but you will loose out on the fact that you can check Hawlucha another top-threat ion the OU-tier as well, since the physically defensive spread allows you to tank a strong Close Combat better. Also physically defensive Corviknight covers up Rillaboom better in the long run and has an easier time switching into this thread in the long term of the game.

Last edited:
I was memeing around on NatDex Anything Goes, and something weird happened in one turn of the battle:
(Thought it was okay to ask here since this is something about a mechanic. If this question ain't allowed, please let me know)
1594218437204.png

Why couldn't that Electivire Low Kick my Weavile?

Here's the replay of the battle, just in case: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexag-1147402978

EDIT: I checked the Damage Calc to see if there was anything I missed and, according to the calc, the Electivire should've attaked my Weavile:
1594218824930.png

I was memeing around on NatDex Anything Goes, and something weird happened in one turn of the battle:
(Thought it was okay to ask here since this is something about a mechanic. If this question ain't allowed, please let me know)
View attachment 260590

Why couldn't that Electivire Low Kick my Weavile?

Here's the replay of the battle, just in case: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexag-1147402978
Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokemon do not have weight specified, so moves like Low Kick or Grass Knot are not allowed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)