Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

0.8^14 = 0.0439 = 4.39% is the chance of not thawing in 14 turns, so yeah, quite unlucky. Switching doesn't help unless you have Natural Cure (or switch to a teammate with Heal Bell/Aromatherapy).
Thanks for helping me out i just wanted to make sure I understood how it works just in case i was playing it wrong.

I've been using Weezing-Galar a lot lately, and I want to try Corrosive Gas to melt items off of typical switchins, but what move could I even drop for it? I find it difficult to run a set that isn't Strange Stream, Sludge Bomb, Pain Split, Toxic/TSpikes.

When is it worth slapping boots on a defensive mon that's not weak to rocks? It wasn't really a thing prior to the DLC, right? The fact that Blissey might be worth using over Chansey after generations of being entirely outclassed just so it can use boots seems so crazy to me. But I guess you're seeing it on Slowbro and stuff too.

Katy

Banned deucer.
When is it worth slapping boots on a defensive mon that's not weak to rocks? It wasn't really a thing prior to the DLC, right? The fact that Blissey might be worth using over Chansey after generations of being entirely outclassed just so it can use boots seems so crazy to me. But I guess you're seeing it on Slowbro and stuff too.
most pokémon which use HDB are those which are designed to come in, take a hit and teleport out, slowbro can use not only HDB but he can also run alternatives like leftovers to give him 6% each turn but also no item at all to not trigger alola-marowaks poltergeist. the additional effect of physical bulk on chansey due to the eviolite seems really good BUT when the eviolite gets knocked off it is worse than blissey at the end, thus why some team structures prefer blissey as a special tank with HDB instead of chansey. also blissey can also just tank a hit and teleport out into an offensive mon to threaten the opposing team. currently people tend to run HDB-blissey over chansey due to the fact that blissey has less issues with loosing its HDB than chansey has issues with loosing its eviolite. the role copmpression both fullfill are the same, but blissey has just the better bulk at the very end.

so can we say now that the boots are the best item in the game or is it still lefto ? btw do we have stats about items and their usage ?

Katy

Banned deucer.
so can we say now that the boots are the best item in the game or is it still lefto ? btw do we have stats about items and their usage ?
HDB are one of the best items and influences the held items of pkmn a lot, like pre gen8 volcarona wasn't able to run such an item and needed much more support to function as a quiver dance-sweeper due to stealth rock costing it 50% of its HP everytime it came onto the battlefield, but with HDB it needs less support as it is easier for it to come into the battlefield. same goes for other fire-types like cinderace and also flying-types like mandibuzz.
Other examples would be Salazzle / Ninetales at the RU-tier, they both benefit of the existence from HDBs. I think it depends on the pkmn if Lefits or HDBs is better, but for many stealth rock-weak pokémon HDB is such a blessing.

the usage stats of the items are found here:
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2020-06-DLC1/moveset/ for DLC
for entire june: https://www.smogon.com/stats/2020-06/moveset/

CTRL + F and then typing in "gen8ou" for both leads you to the mons.

Last edited:
I've been using Weezing-Galar a lot lately, and I want to try Corrosive Gas to melt items off of typical switchins, but what move could I even drop for it? I find it difficult to run a set that isn't Strange Stream, Sludge Bomb, Pain Split, Toxic/TSpikes.
I just run steam, bomb, will-o and corrosive. Being able to cripple all the physical threats it walls is super important.

There's so many spreads for Phys. Def Mandibuzz, which one do I use? (preferably one which isn't useless against special attackers either, but mostly PDef).

Also, I recently saw a spread which had 29 Speed IVs, what's the purpose of that?

I was wondering if there are any plans to have more resources on the most viable sets in the meta. Role compendium is great but it does not tell you the EV spreads nor the movesets. Obviously, analyses end up covering pretty much all meta sets, but they take a lot of time to be made, and constantly have to be revamped because of new additions to the game, bans and meta shifts. Having a more informal thread that covers the most viable sets in the meta at any given point would be greatly beneficial to the player base imo.

:Volcarona:
On a different note, what are the best ways not to get 6-0ed by Volcarona? I am trying not to rely on sucker punch mind games, or niche mons (mantine, talonflame, lycanroc...). I know Azumarill is popular but it is not that great aside from that especially on bulkier builds. I was thinking maybe blissey could help but I don't even know what its best moveset is (hence my previous point).

:magearna:
Lastly, when will world cup end? I completely understand that tournament players need a stable meta, but waiting for tiering action regarding Magearna or other mons can be frustrating. I was hoping that maybe this time multiple mons could be suspected at once so we can hope to achieve balance before dlc2 drops. I know that tiering is a complicated process so this might be impossible, but since NatDex quickbanned 5 mons at once I thought I would ask.

Thank you to whoever takes the time to read and answer!

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
What are the Belly Drum Azumarill answers?
A fast and healthy mandibuzz with Foul Play can sometimes work. Rillaboom is a really strong counter since Grassy Glide has priority + KO's. Unaware mons like Quagsire will also work really well. Some things to consider/help would be to look for mons that outspeed Azumarill, resist + survive a +6 Aqua Jet and can KO back. Dragapult and Rotom-Wash can fit the bill here and they'll sometimes work, although both may need a bit of chip on Azumarill to 1HKO it. It's important to note that aside from Rillaboom (because it has priority), everything will need to be healthy enough to tank a +6 Aqua Jet because they won't be able to KO Azumarill back if they're unable to make a move at all.
:Volcarona:
On a different note, what are the best ways not to get 6-0ed by Volcarona? I am trying not to rely on sucker punch mind games, or niche mons (mantine, talonflame, lycanroc...). I know Azumarill is popular but it is not that great aside from that especially on bulkier builds. I was thinking maybe blissey could help but I don't even know what its best moveset is (hence my previous point).
Cinderace is actually pretty reliable at stopping Volcarona. Volcarona can never 1HKO Cinderace (which typically stays at near full health thanks to Heavy-Duty Boots) and Cinderace can nearly 1HKO back with Pyro Ball (it's a roll if you run Adamant). Toxapex, Rotom-Heat and Mandibuzz with Toxic help a little bit as well. Outside of those 3, Blissey, Chansey and Mantine are the safest options since they'll tank anything and can Toxic/Haze in return.
Lastly, when will world cup end? I completely understand that tournament players need a stable meta, but waiting for tiering action regarding Magearna or other mons can be frustrating. I was hoping that maybe this time multiple mons could be suspected at once so we can hope to achieve balance before dlc2 drops. I know that tiering is a complicated process so this might be impossible, but since NatDex quickbanned 5 mons at once I thought I would ask.
Round 2 (first round of playoffs which is top 8) went up earlier today, so finals should end early August (probably by/before August 9th unless there's a tiebreak in finals).

Pokemon best used to counter 1v1 (not Doubles) trick room teams led by Dusclops/Dusknoir? I know having someone with taunt or a pokemon that can sweep in TR can help, but I want to eliminate Dusclops/Noir right away

so while i understand what makes majority of pokemon banned, like centralizing or just too powerfull offensively, i don't see much defensive mons being banned, if i searched correctly, i only saw deoxys-D and mega sableye banned for beeing too good defensively, so while i might say it's obvious when an offensive pokemon is too strong, it's more shady when a defensive pokemon is too strong, for example i saw many complaints about clefable, toxapex or even the ability regenerator, but their ban always seemed to me quite unrealistic.
so my question is how to determine that a defensive pokemon is too strong for staying in OU ?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
so while i understand what makes majority of pokemon banned, like centralizing or just too powerfull offensively, i don't see much defensive mons being banned, if i searched correctly, i only saw deoxys-D and mega sableye banned for beeing too good defensively, so while i might say it's obvious when an offensive pokemon is too strong, it's more shady when a defensive pokemon is too strong, for example i saw many complaints about clefable, toxapex or even the ability regenerator, but their ban always seemed to me quite unrealistic.
so my question is how to determine that a defensive pokemon is too strong for staying in OU ?
It limits how offensive pokemon can be used or which offensive pokemon can be used. Defensive pokemon can force offensive cores and offensive counterplay to go a certain way just like offensive pokemon can force defensive cores and defensive counterplay to go a certain way. Toxapex is an example of something that, to an extent, does that this generation and we are examining currently.

Why do people run def EVs on Blissey when you won't switch it in on any physical attack anyway? I was puzzled cause I saw that spread in Finchinator's videos.

Why do people run def EVs on Blissey when you won't switch it in on any physical attack anyway? I was puzzled cause I saw that spread in Finchinator's videos.
For the most part, it's about EV efficiency. Because its HP and SpD are already so naturally high, investing in those doesn't have as much return on investment. Capping your Defense at 252 Bold actually more than doubles your ability to take random physical hits. Think things like U-Turn from a Dragapult for example:

• 0- Atk Dragapult U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 96-114 (13.4 - 15.9%)
  • 0- Atk Dragapult U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Blissey: 222-262 (31 - 36.6%)

That's a roughly 21% difference in damage at max rolls. Meanwhile, here is the difference for Special Attacks with the same Dragapult:

• 252+ SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Blissey: 151-178 (21.1 - 24.9%)
  • 252+ SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 114-135 (15.9 - 18.9%)
That's only about 6% difference at max rolls. While you are right and you never intend Bliss to take physical hits, it might on occasion through a battle, and EVs are far and away more efficient invested there. If not, something like U-turn chip could wreck your otherwise solid counter.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
What Seth said is mostly true and he goes into great detail outlining it, but also there’s nothing wrong with keeping Blissey in on weaker physical attackers temporarily like Hippowdon or Mandibuzz (not to mention how common U-Turn is, as he shows) in order to retain momentum with Teleport or spread status. Limiting yourself unnecessarily with play just because one thing is a pure special or physical wall will hurt your teams functionality.

For the most part, it's about EV efficiency. Because its HP and SpD are already so naturally high, investing in those doesn't have as much return on investment. Capping your Defense at 252 Bold actually more than doubles your ability to take random physical hits. Think things like U-Turn from a Dragapult for example:

• 0- Atk Dragapult U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 96-114 (13.4 - 15.9%)
  • 0- Atk Dragapult U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Blissey: 222-262 (31 - 36.6%)

That's a roughly 21% difference in damage at max rolls. Meanwhile, here is the difference for Special Attacks with the same Dragapult:

• 252+ SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Blissey: 151-178 (21.1 - 24.9%)
  • 252+ SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 114-135 (15.9 - 18.9%)
That's only about 6% difference at max rolls. While you are right and you never intend Bliss to take physical hits, it might on occasion through a battle, and EVs are far and away more efficient invested there. If not, something like U-turn chip could wreck your otherwise solid counter.
What Seth said is mostly true and he goes into great detail outlining it, but also there’s nothing wrong with keeping Blissey in on weaker physical attackers temporarily like Hippowdon or Mandibuzz (not to mention how common U-Turn is, as he shows) in order to retain momentum with Teleport or spread status. Limiting yourself unnecessarily with play just because one thing is a pure special or physical wall will hurt your teams functionality.
Thanks both of you. Both explanations make sense and will help me in the future with similar cases. Good job y'all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)