Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Katy

Banned deucer.
Does anyone has a good grimmsnarl team?(if its viable)
https://pokepast.es/9969a8c22b86712b

This could be a viable Grimmsnarl team. I would only use Grimmsnarl on hyper Offense with Dual-Screens, with teampartners such as Landorus-Therian, Garchomp, Magearna, Urshifu-S, and Spectrier it can be a great HO-Team to ladder with. You should try this or similar Grimmsnarl-HO-teams as I think they work the best currently. I hope this helped.

I am very new to the forums so sorry to any mod if I’m making a bad post here! I’m very bee to competitive battling and while I have a grasp on some of the simple terminology I have no idea what the current meta game is. I was wondering if those with knowledge and expireince could post in this thread with a general over view of what and why the popular strategies/mons are good right now. For example, right now clefairy is a better sylveon but why? What is clefairys purpose in the meta game? That kind of thing. Thank you in advance!

TPP edit: moved the post to SQSA

Last edited by a moderator:

Katy

Banned deucer.
I am very new to the forums so sorry to any mod if I’m making a bad post here! I’m very bee to competitive battling and while I have a grasp on some of the simple terminology I have no idea what the current meta game is. I was wondering if those with knowledge and expireince could post in this thread with a general over view of what and why the popular strategies/mons are good right now. For example, right now clefairy is a better sylveon but why? What is clefairys purpose in the meta game? That kind of thing. Thank you in advance!

Hello,

First off, it is Clefable instead of Clefairy and to answer your Question about it, Clefable is better than Sylveon because it doesn't have to fear entry hazards like Stealth Rocks, Spikes, Toxic Spikes and furthermore it doesn't have to fear any kind of inflicted status, such as Burn or Poison, as Magic Guard helps with these points a lot. Clefable has access to a reliable recovery forme in Soft-Boiled and can dish out a crucial Knock Off to remove opposing Pokemons items such as Heavy-Duty Boots, Leftovers, or Choice items.

Clefable can also wish-pass with abusing Teleport, makes a wish-pass easier as Sylveon doesn't have access to Teleport, to get in a teammate safely + adding a fat wish onto it.

Sylveons ability in Pixilate is good, but not good enough to warrant it really viable in the current metagame, as the rather supportive ability of Clefable is in general more appreciated.

To the general metagame: Pokemon like Pheromosa, Spectrier, Magearna, and Urshifu-S are all very heavily discussed, and Pheromosa is currently in a suspect because there plenty of assets which put it over the edge of being a healthy Pokemon in the current meta.
Other great Pokemon are Nidoking, as it forces a lot of switches and can tear holes into balance-ish archetypes, Landorus-T is really great as a defensive Pokemon with Stealth Rocks and other great utility moves in protect, Knock off or Toxic.
Other really great strategies involve: Sand- and Rain-Teams, as these 2 weather-reliant styles are currently really great. Hyper Offense is also doing great right now, with Dual-Screen Support given by Koko, Regieleki, or Alola-Ninetales.
Other great Pokemon: Rillaboom is really great alongside Kartana, Slowbro and Slowking are great due to Future Sight + Teleport, Galarian Slowking makes itself a great special wall with Regenerator and AV, and Hydreigon also sees an uptick in Usage recently.

This is a general and short overview of the current metagame, and I hope my answer helped you out :)

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Well first of all I’d like to say, welcome to Smogon!

I’m assuming you mean Clefable since Clefairy doesn’t really have a niche in OU. Anyway, I would say Clefable is better than Sylveon because it’s longevity and movepool make it more consistent. Clefable has magic guard and that’s amazing since it cannot really be worn down while Sylveon can making it worse defensively almost all the time.

Hope this helped, and I hope you enjoy your time on Smogon!

I dont know if the answer already have been ask but can we use 2 or more sub legendary in the same team as long they are in the same format ... ex: I bring cress and thundurus in the same team

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
what's the most common EV spread for Protect + 3 attacks lefties melmetal?

moveset would also be nice as it's the first time im using it.
Melmetal @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Ice Punch
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake

This is what I've been using the most and probably its most common spread. The main benchmark is the Speed EVs which allow it to outspeed Toxapex, you could probably go 12 Speed EVs though since that accomplishes the same thing. The rest is dumped into Attack and Special Defense to sponge hits from stuff like Magearna and Latios more easily and Adamant helps to make its Double Iron Bashes and Earthquakes sting as much as possible.

Hope this helped! :blobthumbsup:

What set do most Rillaboom use? I use a weird Max HP and Max attack /w Adamant. Then more moves I use Wood Hammer, Grassy Glide, Super Power, and U-turn. I know it's not really traditional, but which set would you guys suggest.

What set do most Rillaboom use? I use a weird Max HP and Max attack /w Adamant. Then more moves I use Wood Hammer, Grassy Glide, Super Power, and U-turn. I know it's not really traditional, but which set would you guys suggest.
Choice Band or Swords Dance

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Superpower / Drain Punch

Hope this question isn't painfully obvious, but is there any hope for Lucario in this meta? With Nidoking skyrocketing to stardom this gen, its made me think of old breakers like gen 4 Lucario. I know Nidoking's stab combination is better in the meta, but Lucario also has amazing coverage moves and what I would imagine as a similar damage output as sheer force Nidoking given that his offensive stats are higher.
I figured someone would have tried it out already, especially with the new futureport mechanics that have benefitted frailer breakers.

Last edited:
Hope this question isn't painfully obvious, but is there any hope for Lucario in this meta? With Nidoking skyrocketing to stardom this gen, its made me think of old breakers like gen 4 Lucario. I know Nidoking's stab combination is better in the meta, but Lucario also has amazing coverage moves and what I would imagine as a similar damage output as sheer force Nidoking given that his offensive stats are higher.
I figured someone would have tried it out already, especially with the new futureport mechanics that have benefitted frailer breakers.
Unfortunately no, Lucario just can't find a useable niche in this meta. Maybe as a fighting type that can one shot Clef (from either end of the spectrum) but really, it's combination of middling speed tier, awful bulk, and some major type weaknesses (Ground, Fire, Fighting), Lucario just can't overcome the opportunity cost of using it.

Lucario struggles because it has really poor bulk for a setup breaker (Nidoking just comes in and starts clicking STABs or subs on the switch) and like you said its STABs and coverage moves are kind of lacking as it's still walled by Toxapex Zapdos Moltres etc. which are mons Nidoking is known to be able to get past pretty easily. Furthermore the opportunity cost like sensemaker said of using it over other offensive Steel-types such as Magearna and Kartana is very significant because Lucario fails to separate itself from these mons much

Last edited:
Lucario struggles because it has really poor bulk for a setup breaker (Nidoking just comes in and starts clicking STABs or subs on the switch) and like you said its STABs and coverage moves are kind of lacking as it's still walled by Toxapex Zapdos Moltres etc. which are mons Nidoking is known to be able to get past pretty easily. Furthermore the opportunity cost like sensemaker said of using it over other offensive Steel-types such as Magearna and Kartana is very significant because Lucario fails to separate itself from these mons much
Right, thanks for the detailed response! I can see what you mean. I take it that running four attacks: stabs, and edge/quake combo with life orb would still be heavily outclassed by other frail breakers like Nidoking? The only reason I'm even comparing is that Lucario's coverage just seems so flexible

Right, thanks for the detailed response! I can see what you mean. I take it that running four attacks: stabs, and edge/quake combo with life orb would still be heavily outclassed by other frail breakers like Nidoking? The only reason I'm even comparing is that Lucario's coverage just seems so flexible
I'm inclined to say yes a four attacks + LO set would be outclassed because it still has coverage issues with the aforementioned Pex and birds etc as well as just generally being weaker than Nidoking leaving it outclassed

For instance Lucario fails to OHKO what should be one of its main targets Clefable and prob gets near OHKOed by flamethrower in return or dented with moonblast

252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 299-354 (75.8 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 338-400 (85.7 - 101.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Life Orb Clefable Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lucario: 218-257 (77.5 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 432-510 (109.6 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I just think if you ran 4 attacks with LO it would be overall outclassed by Nidoking because Nidoking is stronger and hits more things

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
You would have to run it Adamant with Life Orb Mash, CC, ExtremeSpeed, Swords Dance for it to even function, relatively speaking which would then be walled by Kanto Birds which are common on top of the points mentioned before about poor bulk. Running Edge over SD would just make it a diet Urshifu and as bb skarm mentioned to an extent Nidoking just as wallbreaker goes. Has a bunch of issues you need to cover so probably not worth the risk outside of memeing ladder.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Is there any poison or steel type that can take fairy hits fairly well with decent offensive capabilities that isn't Magnezone, Melmetal or Nidoking and is somewhat viable in ou? Because Magnezone is pretty meh and Melmetal doesn't fit my play style while Nidoking can't take strong fairy hits. If possible, can someone provide one pokemon for both those types?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Is there any poison or steel type that can take fairy hits fairly well with decent offensive capabilities that isn't Magnezone, Melmetal or Nidoking and is somewhat viable in ou? Because Magnezone is pretty meh and Melmetal doesn't fit my play style while Nidoking can't take strong fairy hits. If possible, can someone provide one pokemon for both those types?
Slowking-Galar, Nidoqueen, Heatran, Magearna, and Excadrill seem to fit your bill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)