Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Katy

Banned deucer.
Thanks but I was asking if Spectrier itself has choice scarf and not using a different set. Is timid still worth on a scarfed Spectrier?
Run Timid over Modest, most standpoints which stated above still stands in that case, as when you lose your scarf and have modest, you still get outrun by timid Tornadus-Therian and the above mentioned Pokemon 100% of the time. So Timid is the superior option.

Run Timid over Modest, most standpoints which stated above still stands in that case, as when you lose your scarf and have modest, you still get outrun by timid Tornadus-Therian and the above mentioned Pokemon 100% of the time. So Timid is the superior option.
I actually think modest can be ok specifically on scarf set, if you think what are the ways you can lose the scarf, it's basically knock off and clefable tricking you a sticky barb(and not scarf). With knock off, if it's an offensive mon using it, your spectrier is probably going down anyways, and you won't be bringing in your scarf spectrier on a defensive mon unless it's severely chipped. Clefable tricking you a sticky barb is also quite rare, since not many clefable even run that set, and they might not press trick fearing the substitute if they don't know your set. None of the other mons you mentioned tend to run scarf except for spectrier itself. Modest actually does help turn close calls into KO's for spectrier, and the only real downside IMO is when running into an opposing scarf spectrier. Other sets should always run timid.

Bit of a question i feel a little awakward asking as it feels kinda scrubby but I just wnat to know if it's true. Is it the case that Zamazenta in either form is being either considered or is going to be susspect tested at some point?

Bit of a question i feel a little awakward asking as it feels kinda scrubby but I just wnat to know if it's true. Is it the case that Zamazenta in either form is being either considered or is going to be susspect tested at some point?
There was a bit of talk about zamazenta crowned being tested, but I don't think it's very high in the priority queue. Regular zamazenta definitely won't be tested

So like there's a couple of pokemon that people have suggested are ban worthy like urshifu-s spectrier magerna and cinderace. And like the first two are somewhat linear and have few options and their counters and checks have been said a lot in the viability ranking thread and the suspect test for urshifu-s, but what are some of the reliable checks or counters for magerna and/or cinderace? Especially considering the latter two's expansive move sets.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
what are some of the reliable checks or counters for magerna and/or cinderace?
As for the former, Blissey, Slowking-G, Volcarona, and Heatran are good examples, but some other potential checks are Excadrill, Aegislash, and Toxapex depending on the set.

As for the latter, RH Garchomp, Toxapex, Slowbro, and PDef LandoT can help reliably early on, but also a lot of Pokemon can check it depending on coverage and their relative healths.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
So like there's a couple of pokemon that people have suggested are ban worthy like urshifu-s spectrier magerna and cinderace. And like the first two are somewhat linear and have few options and their counters and checks have been said a lot in the viability ranking thread and the suspect test for urshifu-s, but what are some of the reliable checks or counters for magerna and/or cinderace? Especially considering the latter two's expansive move sets.
It really depends on the set. If Magearna doesn't have a shift gear set, ground types like Landorus and Garchomp eat it for breakfast. On shift gear calm mind sets, Heatran is your best bet as it resists stored power and draining kiss, provided it didn't get too much boosts that is. Blissey also straight up counters choice Magearna but is ruined by trick. Regardless, the simplest answer is if its choiced, then offensive ground types, if its shift gear, Heatran or your own Magearna

Finch already gave some very good answers to Cinderace so this will just be an addition. The most brutal answer to Cinderace is without a doubt Moltres. It resists pyro ball and if Cinderace gets any idea of using u turn, hjk or something else then it risks getting burned by flame body. It does have to watch out for gunk shot but Race is at the mercy of the 15%. Moltres also carries scorching sands, tho not always, which can take advantage of the poison typing and you guessed it, has the one status that Cinderace hates the most

Personally before dlc2 it was quiet clear that cinderace met the criteria for being ban worthy, but now we have alot more answers to keep it in check or counter like moltress and landorus-t while are solid or staples in their own right and now I don't think cinderace would even get banned if it was tested and really as it stands it doesn't really merit one anymore it's firmly countered or checked by solid additions to ou that are on most teams, you don't need to go out of your way much to deal with it like pre dlc, so it's fine. For the bear and gears I would say the outcome of urshifu-s is going to be a ban i susspect it will just get a super majority in favour of the ban, you really do have to make extra sure you can deal with this mon or you will die to it, while it does have meh speed and terible special defence, offensively dark/fighting coverage is simply nuts and it has ways of koing it's counters with little to no fuss meaning if say it uses arial ace to deal with buzzvole and it's your only solid way to deal it's it's largely gg or you could out of your way to add an additional layer to stop it, and magearna i don't think it will reach a super majority for a ban if it was tested, to a lesser extent than cinderace there is ou staples like heatran that can laugh it off and relying on focus miss to deal with something like heatran is never a good thing.I'm kind of on the fence with magearna you really don't have to go out of your way to make sure you can deal with it on the level of urishifu or phera and there are very solid staples in ou that check or counter it that would be heavily used with or without it being here but at the same time it can be a bit iffy which set it's using and what you have to have to deal with them so it's just uhhh im not sure.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Who is better as a defogger? Zapdos or Mandibuzz?
Depends on the team. Both serve different roles and have distinct niches. Zapdos is a bit better now as AM says, but if you need a Ghost or Dark resist, Mandibuzz offers a lot.
And wanted to know which Pokemon is a good late-game sweeper / walbreaker, as the only Pokemon who can perform a fully-offensive role in my team is Cinderace. I also need to know a way to break through Pex...
SD Garchomp, Urshifu, and NP Spectrier are some good examples. Also, Cinderace can run Zen Headbutt for Toxapex if needed.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Who is better as a defogger? Zapdos or Mandibuzz?
They have pretty different defensive niches. Zapdos can check Pokemon like Rillaboom, Excadrill, Ferrothorn and Kartana very well whereas Mandibuzz's ability to check Spectrier and Dragapult very well is useful. Personally I find Zapdos to be a better Defogger due to its lack of passivity and ability to check a large amount of offensive threats, though Mandibuzz does check important stuff too. It comes down to personal preference.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Btw how good are WeakPoll Stored Power Magearna / DD Dragapult as a late game cleaner? An what about Double Dance Lando-T? Like, I know a Lando will like to perform some other set, like the Phyically Defensive one, but I'm just asking.
Weakness Policy Magearna is good with screens, but it can be inconsistent. DD Pult struggles right now; it was better off in the DLC1 metagame usually.

LandoT can make most sets work, including set up sets. It does need some support though.

it bears mentioning that if you are using a weakpoll magearna, 4 speed EVs let you outspeed max speed garchomp after shift gear. this can save some iffy sweeps, trust me from experience. just saying this so you dont put leftover 4 EVs in spdef or something

What stuff works with moltres galar? Currently im just running a hyper offense veil team with it and don't know what else compliments it in terms of synergy.

Katy

Banned deucer.
What stuff works with moltres galar? Currently im just running a hyper offense veil team with it and don't know what else compliments it in terms of synergy.
Magearna can be a great partner as well as Cinderace, Rillaboom, and Spectrier. They are all potent sweepers themselves and compliment the synergy with Moltres-Galar. Magearna can run a Dual-Dance-Set, whereas Cinderace can threaten Pokemon with Bulk Up and its grea Libero-boosted Moves. Rillaboom has a great priority in Grassy Glide and is a reliable and potent Partner for Magearna. Spectrier can dent holes with a Calm Mind or Nasty Plot Set, with either Will-o-Wisp and Hex or just making effort harder to kill it with Sub-Nasty Plot Disable -Set, which can also be very good on veil teams.

Last edited:
Can we suspect at least 2 pokemon at once like zamazenta and galarian darmanitan/giratina, maybe in the near future.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Can we suspect at least 2 pokemon at once like zamazenta and galarian darmanitan/giratina, maybe in the near future.
This would be rushing and it would compromise the actual suspects themselves. Suspecting (or retesting) multiple things at once means that we have not experienced the metagame with either without the other and any suspect/retest involves lots of change due to it involving a potentially broken Pokemon. While this may achieve a timely result, it likely skews the vote and would not be best for the quality of the metagame. Also, the proposals you give are for retests, not suspect tests, for what it's worth.

Magearna can be a great partner as well as Cinderace, Rillaboom, and Spectrier. They are all potent sweepers themselves and compliment the synergy with Moltres-Galar. Magearna can run a Dual-Dance-Set, whereas Cinderace can threaten Pokemon with Bulk Up and its grea Libero-boosted Moves. Rillaboom has a great priority in Grassy Glide and is a reliable and potent Partner for Magearna. Spectrier can dent holes with a Calm Mind or Nasty Plot Set, with either Will-o-Wisp and Hex or just making effort harder to kill it with Sub-Nasty Plot Disable -Set, which can also be very good on veil teams.
Thanks for the answer. I have tried life orb adamant cinderace and it works quite well for my team.

This would be rushing and it would compromise the actual suspects themselves. Suspecting (or retesting) multiple things at once means that we have not experienced the metagame with either without the other and any suspect/retest involves lots of change due to it involving a potentially broken Pokemon. While this may achieve a timely result, it likely skews the vote and would not be best for the quality of the metagame. Also, the proposals you give are for retests, not suspect tests, for what it's worth.
OK, thanks

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Just saw the usage stats and it made me curious. What ev spread does Moltres run that it gets killed by two gunk shots from Cinderace with slight chip? Because really, that never happened to me even when it gets poisoned and I used to spam Moltres a lot

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Just saw the usage stats and it made me curious. What ev spread does Moltres run that it gets killed by two gunk shots from Cinderace with slight chip? Because really, that never happened to me even when it gets poisoned and I used to spam Moltres a lot
Generally there are a few speed benchmarks for Moltres to look at first. The slowest would be hitting around 230, which gets the jump on Choice Specs modest Magearna, slow Landorus-T, and the rare Jolly Crawdaunt. Outrunning Specs Magearna is the main selling point here, which can otherwise hit-and-run with Volt Switch easily. Alternatively, you can hit the mid-250s (254-256) if you want to outrun Jolly Shift Gear/Choice Specs Magearnas, modest offensive Heatran, the rare Bisharp/Tapu Bulu with an adamant nature, and Diggersby (this one hits 255, which is why I included a range above). Finally, I have seen some fast Moltres, getting the jump on Excadrill, Nidoking, adamant Urshifu, Rillaboom, jolly Heatran, and offensive Togekiss, but this is a bit less common. The rest of the EVs can go into defense, but at times there is a little thrown into SDef to help with Magearna, Heatran, and other special attackers it commonly interacts with. For the sake of giving you the benefit of the doubt though, let's say it pumps out PDef for things like Cinderace. Here are the relevant calculations:

Assuming 230 speed Moltres...
252+ Atk Libero Cinderace Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Moltres: 160-190 (41.7 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Libero Cinderace Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Moltres: 145-172 (37.8 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

You are one poison or any residual damage away from being in danger of outright losing to adamant. Jolly gives you a little room, but if rolls do not cooperate or you are not at exactly 100%, then it becomes risky business as well. This also means that Moltres is forced to Roost each time this sequence occurs and any other time it is to take damage throughout the game if it wishes to remain in tact to check Cinderace, which is a counterproductive strategy itself and likely indicates you are better off going with a more practical check/counter to Cinderace.

Assuming 256 speed Moltres (or anything faster as the calcs only get worse for Moltres defensively)...
252+ Atk Libero Cinderace Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Moltres: 178-210 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 10.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Libero Cinderace Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Moltres: 160-190 (41.7 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

At this point, you either lose on the switch-in or barely avoid doing so, but the margin of error is so slim that a single poison or any other damage at all tilts this entirely in the other direction. Moltres does not even resemble a Gunk Shot Cinderace check at this point.

I think your question overestimates the defensive presence of Moltres, unfortunately.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Generally there are a few speed benchmarks for Moltres to look at first. The slowest would be hitting around 230, which gets the jump on Choice Specs modest Magearna, slow Landorus-T, and the rare Jolly Crawdaunt. Outrunning Specs Magearna is the main selling point here, which can otherwise hit-and-run with Volt Switch easily. Alternatively, you can hit the mid-250s (254-256) if you want to outrun Jolly Shift Gear/Choice Specs Magearnas, modest offensive Heatran, the rare Bisharp/Tapu Bulu with an adamant nature, and Diggersby (this one hits 255, which is why I included a range above). Finally, I have seen some fast Moltres, getting the jump on Excadrill, Nidoking, adamant Urshifu, Rillaboom, jolly Heatran, and offensive Togekiss, but this is a bit less common. The rest of the EVs can go into defense, but at times there is a little thrown into SDef to help with Magearna, Heatran, and other special attackers it commonly interacts with. For the sake of giving you the benefit of the doubt though, let's say it pumps out PDef for things like Cinderace. Here are the relevant calculations:

Assuming 230 speed Moltres...
252+ Atk Libero Cinderace Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Moltres: 160-190 (41.7 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Libero Cinderace Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Moltres: 145-172 (37.8 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

You are one poison or any residual damage away from being in danger of outright losing to adamant. Jolly gives you a little room, but if rolls do not cooperate or you are not at exactly 100%, then it becomes risky business as well. This also means that Moltres is forced to Roost each time this sequence occurs and any other time it is to take damage throughout the game if it wishes to remain in tact to check Cinderace, which is a counterproductive strategy itself and likely indicates you are better off going with a more practical check/counter to Cinderace.

Assuming 256 speed Moltres (or anything faster as the calcs only get worse for Moltres defensively)...
252+ Atk Libero Cinderace Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Moltres: 178-210 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 10.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Libero Cinderace Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Moltres: 160-190 (41.7 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

At this point, you either lose on the switch-in or barely avoid doing so, but the margin of error is so slim that a single poison or any other damage at all tilts this entirely in the other direction. Moltres does not even resemble a Gunk Shot Cinderace check at this point.

I think your question overestimates the defensive presence of Moltres, unfortunately.
Yeah. I'm probably the only one insane enough not to care about using Moltres to get the jump on those guys since I usually dump around 224-236 evs to defense and the rest to spd. Always worked for me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)