Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Gen8 OU question: What's some ways to counter rain in a balanced team? Specifically I'm having trouble dealing with Ferrothorn and Barraskewda

Katy

Banned deucer.
Gen8 OU question: What's some ways to counter rain in a balanced team? Specifically I'm having trouble dealing with Ferrothorn and Barraskewda
:ferrothorn: can be dismanteled by strong wallbreakers such as Garchomp with an boosted Earthquake or Fire-coverage in Fire Blast, which helps Garchomp going through Ferrothorn.
Rillaboom and Kartana are both immune to its Leech Seed and Kartana wont take a lot from Stealth Rocks due to its part Steel-typing. It can dish out a strong Sacred Sword on it. Same goes for Rillaboom with Superpower, however both have to look out for Knock Off and Thunder Wave as it cripples them severly.
Tornadus-T and Zapdos are also great against Ferrothorn in rain-teams as Tornadus-T threatens it with a Focus Blast or Heat Wave, and outside of rain Heat Wave will do a chunk, Zapdos doesnt have to fear Thunder Wave and can cripple Ferrothorn severly with Heat Wave and Zapdos can effectively Defog on it.

:barraskewda: Can be answered with Slowbro and Tangrowth as both dont have to fear much from it, however Slowbro has to watch out for Crunch coming at its way, but Tangrowth is 1 of the best answers against Barraskewda.
Rillaboom can help versus rain, as its strong Grassy Surge-boosted Grassy Glide picks of most Teammembers of from rain teams, that counts fro Crawdaunt, Barraskewda, and Urshifu-R.
Other strong tanks such as Toxapex can help versus Barraskewda and also Urshifu-R, furthermore Toxapex can help with dishing out Toxic or Toxic Spikes against them to disrupt their effectiveness in the long term. Toxapex can also use Haze as an option to help versus Setup Sweepers in Rain teams.
Tapu Fini is also a great answer versus the above mentioned Rain-abusers as it wont take much damage from all of their attacks they go for and has Leftovers and can also use Draining Kiss for some recovery during the process.

Hope that helped :)

I might have heard this wrong but is it true that there will be no suspect tests during SPL?
That is generally the case, as the council doesn't want to force the SPL players to participate in SPL and the suspect. They also don't want the meta to do such a large shift during an ongoing tournament.

Are Complex bans allowed in OU? I've always been confused on how that works. I distinctly remember there being some discussion on banning Gorilla Tactics instead of G-Darm early on.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Are Complex bans allowed in OU? I've always been confused on how that works. I distinctly remember there being some discussion on banning Gorilla Tactics instead of G-Darm early on.
Complex bans are allowed in OU however it is for elements that are uncompetitive or broken outside of a Pokemon, like for example Moody being banned because it was broken on every Pokemon who had it, or Baton Pass being banned because those teams were broken. Complex bans are allowed but they are generally not used often unless absolutely needed.

Hope this helped!:blobthumbsup:

Gorilla tactics is a great ability, but darm makes it really good. For me huge power is the most broken ability but the user of this is azumarill, not something like weavile

I'm very new to competitive Pokemon, are there any beginner guides/sample teams that I could use? I've found some already but I have no idea how to use them or what to do

Can Cinderace be emergency banned?
That would be called a quickban, and they usually don’t do that unless the mon in question is a BIG problem. I fucking hate Cinderace with every fiber of my being as it is an abortion of a Pokémon design visually and is not much better gameplay-wise, but I don’t think the OU higher-ups find it problematic enough to get quickbanned. I’d guess they would hold a suspect test, if anything, and I would be thrilled at the chance to personally wave this abomination goodbye! But no, they probably won’t emergency ban it, and I don’t even know if a suspect test is on the horizon, seeing as I’m not on the OU council. So tl;dr no, they won’t emergency ban C*nderace

That would be called a quickban, and they usually don’t do that unless the mon in question is a BIG problem. I fucking hate Cinderace with every fiber of my being as it is an abortion of a Pokémon design visually and is not much better gameplay-wise, but I don’t think the OU higher-ups find it problematic enough to get quickbanned. I’d guess they would hold a suspect test, if anything, and I would be thrilled at the chance to personally wave this abomination goodbye! But no, they probably won’t emergency ban it, and I don’t even know if a suspect test is on the horizon, seeing as I’m not on the OU council. So tl;dr no, they won’t emergency ban C*nderace
Fuck, that really sucks. I find it to be a bigger problem than magearna, because at least magearna has switch ins (still broken tho) and can be played around. Cinderace forces you to have the few pokemon that can check it (and hope that it doesn't run the appropriate coverage move).
Otherwise, it makes OU unplayable. I'm getting sick and tired of 0 skill players just spamming moves with cinderace.
And yea, bad design too, tho I really liked scorbunny's design.

Yeah I hate Cinderace for it's design even more than it's insane wallbreaking and pivoting capabilities. It looks like the mascot of some biscuit company.

Yeah I hate Cinderace for it's design even more than it's insane wallbreaking and pivoting capabilities. It looks like the mascot of some biscuit company.
I remember when I was really excited for gen 8 starters, my favorite being scorbunny. Too bad both it and Sobble had disappointing designs (some people do like Intelleon tho).
Grookey turned out pretty good, but I don't like external items (such as drums) being part of a pokemon.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is it viable to run both spikes and SR on Ferro?
It is a niche way if you really have to compress the roles as a Stealth Rock and Spike-setter at the same time due to other Pokemon doing a different job, such as Clefable, Landorus-T, and Nidoking, which are also common Stealth Rock-setters in the tier. However the issue with Dual-Hazard Ferrothorn is, that it loses a slot for an important Move like Knock Off, Body Press, Leech Seed or even Thunder Wave to cripple opposing Pokemon.

In my opinion I would not recommend to run both Stealth Rock and Spikes on Ferrothorn, and should only be done, when you really have to compress the roles. I would recommend running Stealth Rocks on a different Pokemon such as the aforementioned Pokemon and Spikes on Ferrothorn to open up 1 Moveslot for the necessary moves Ferrothorn needs to deal with opposing Pokemon and most importantly to have the necessary longevity due to Leftovers AND Leech Seed, as the durability of Ferrothorn gets increased alot and can also wear down common Pokemon such as Heatran over the long course of the game.

Hope this helped :)

It is a niche way if you really have to compress the roles as a Stealth Rock and Spike-setter at the same time due to other Pokemon doing a different job, such as Clefable, Landorus-T, and Nidoking, which are also common Stealth Rock-setters in the tier. However the issue with Dual-Hazard Ferrothorn is, that it loses a slot for an important Move like Knock Off, Body Press, Leech Seed or even Thunder Wave to cripple opposing Pokemon.

In my opinion I would not recommend to run both Stealth Rock and Spikes on Ferrothorn, and should only be done, when you really have to compress the roles. I would recommend running Stealth Rocks on a different Pokemon such as the aforementioned Pokemon and Spikes on Ferrothorn to open up 1 Moveslot for the necessary moves Ferrothorn needs to deal with opposing Pokemon and most importantly to have the necessary longevity due to Leftovers AND Leech Seed, as the durability of Ferrothorn gets increased alot and can also wear down common Pokemon such as Heatran over the long course of the game.

Hope this helped :)
thanks for the info, I just considered losing knock off cause my pex has it

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
thanks for the info, I just considered losing knock off cause my pex has it
It’s ok to run multiple Knock Off on the same team, especially if the individual users have different switch ins.
Is mixed blaziken viable in the current ou meta
Not really unfortunately. Losing hidden power hurt this prospect for sure. It’s best with Swords Dance rn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)